AO Very Slow Retrograde

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

AO Very Slow Retrograde

Post by Tassadar »

Another run of AO while waiting for the 1940 DLC, this time with more historic rules as to unit deployment. Will be just an occasion to discover new things and see how it goes, so a lot less screens and details - mostly an occasion to discuss how different it feel instead of detailing every captured unit and every medal. I'll also be doing the scenarios I did not attempt in the previous runs. I will also compile posts into 2-3 scenario bundles, as there's not that much to show here, I'm considering the Little Tanks Run the core one, this is just one of two special runs I was thinking about doing (second one will be even more restrictive, but on entirely different grounds).

Difficulty - General

Traits - Master of Blitzkrieg, Deadly Grasp, Flexible Command, Perimeter Control, AA Veteran, Slow Modernization, Retrograde.

Extra rules:
  • I cannot upgrade more than one unit at time each scenario with the same type of upgrades (for example once the Ju 86 becomes available, I can only upgrade one of my strategic bombers per scenario). This does not apply to buying new units in SCW due to impact of Retrograde, but after AO 1939 will also apply to buying any new units.
  • I can only upgrade one transport per scenario and only one "level", so from none/horse transport into Opel Blitz, or from the Opel into a half-track. This means if the unit upgrade requires a transport other than existing one and I already upgraded another transport in this scenario, I cannot upgrade the unit itself.
  • No gift units that were not actually produced or captured in large numbers (around battalion level). Also, no fielding captured units apart from known historical examples around battalion level. So no Verdeja 2 or Il-2, but Azul Infanterie, Panzer IIA or Somua S35 are fine (the infantry just barely, but I do not want to dismiss a unit I will auto-get).
  • All units have a limit to how many I can buy. For infantry this is just one aside from regular Wehr Infanterie and Volkssturm. For vehicles this will follow a specific table. No type of unit can exceed 10. EDIT - special infantry can exceed the limit if given, or if needed to complete a specific scenario.
  • The list also applies to starting core, adjusted on turn zero.
  • Overstrength allowed if the ratio is one decimal point over a whole number.
AO Spanish Civil War - Seville

SCW unit allowed table (numbers built are for sure not accurate, but I won't spend too much time on research, just need some very basic numbers). These are also not aimed to vary by year and are WW2 totals - I can only imagine the amount of data this would require otherwise...

Starting Prestige: 1123

Starting Army Composition:

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IA - OS12
PzAbt 2 - Panzer IA - OS12

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 221

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 201 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport) - Ferocious Defense
Panzerjäger Abt 202 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport)

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)
Artillerie Abt 2 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)
Artillerie Abt 3 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)
Artillerie Abt 4 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)
Artillerie Abt 5 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)
Artillerie Abt 6 - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA (Horse Transport)

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 1 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Horse Transport)

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51 - OS14

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Hs123a
I./AG 1 - He 70 Rayo

Oh dear, this core looks not as powerful as the default one. Things will get interesting.

Summary

Final Prestige: 1714 (up 591)

Overall

Already the prestige gain is not as impressive as in the normal run. The army moves more slowly, but the increased artillery force gets the job done just as well. AA veteran is almost a must. Only one fighter is very restrictive and the fact I cannot even buy AA units yet, means that making Republican planes stay away from my units will be quite tricky. I often will not be able to provide enough AA cover at the start. I cannot buy AT units, recon cars, basically nothing aside from Panzer IA and He 70 Rayo that have a full stock already and two types of artillery pieces. And seeing how many initial scenarios stay in 1936 this will not change soon. Since this first scenario is rather easy there is little of interest to tell... for now.

AO Spanish Civil War - Antequera

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 2457

Hero:

Daniel Meyer will join Artillerie Abt 1, as for a very, very, very long time artillery will be the key to making things work and allowing my Spanish allies to do the majority of fighting. This gives the option to suppress two targets and give more direction to their attacks.

Tank

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 221

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 201 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport)

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - Double Attack

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51 - OS14

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Hs123a
I./AG 1 - He 70 Rayo

Startegic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Last turn and I-15 fighters are swarming the sky freely. That's not a encouraging indication what the enemy air force is going to do later.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 2868 (up 411)

Overall:

Prestige is up again, but by a tiny bit only. Replacing artillery, AT and AA losses is quite costly, and this scenario showed that with two tanks and one recon car I will desperately struggle to cover a wide front in open terrain. I was not only unable to buy any new units, but CTV is also affected, not allowing me to get CR.32 fighters. Luckily I remembered my lesson and this time did not go too near the minefields to the east, not risking getting attacked by masses of units. I wan not tempted also due to the fact that the army is now painfully slow majority of it needs to move and then deploy, making positioning really critical and any mistakes very costly. Bonus objectives were quite easily achieved this time just like in the first scenario - so far no real issue with meeting them.

AO Spanish Civil War - Merida

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 3107

Hero:

This is not too helpful... I'll assign Gerhard Meyer to Panzerjäger Abt 1, but I'd lie if I said I'm excited by this roll. If this trait ever comes up relevant I'll be surprised!

New Units Commissioned:

Extra rules make things quite insane. I can only buy an extra 7.5 cm FK 16 nA to fill in available slots and that's not overly impactful as far as artillery goes. With so much distance to cover on foot, available CTV troops will be key if I even want to consider trying to get the bonus objective.

Artillerie Abt 7 - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA (Horse Transport)

Tank

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 221 - *

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 201 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport)

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - Double Attack

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51 - OS14

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Hs123a
I./AG 1 - He 70 Rayo - *

Startegic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Vega falls this time again, but much later and after several attempts to get him encirceled. My force is not nearly as mobile this time to catch him of guard in the open.

Shooting down all planes is again impossible. Taking any fortified position is so much faster on the other hand. That's a crazy amount of artillery to clear the way for attackers.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 3494 (up 387)

Overall:

Wow, that's really not the fastest prestige growth I could see. What I found interesting, was that capturing all victory hexes this time was a lot quicker than with just a regular army. So much guns firing at defenders allowed the Spanish infantry to take ground faster than I could have ever suspected. Badajoz was an entirely different beast. Up until the very last turns I was not sure if I can break through and pull in enough artillery without getting flanked, but at one point the enemy forces started to fall back. My AT units were critical in making the capture possible by securing the advancing force from armored counter attacks and while it took them a while to get there due to towed horse transport, I was overall impressed by their performance and I am starting to greatly warm up towards towed AT guns. They are cheap and offer that essential bit of firepower I am otherwise lacking this time. Not being able to buy anything new aside from artillery is forcing me to take an entirely different approach to combat and it is only now when I come to appreciate my allies fully, as on my own I'm essentially unable to progress beyond very basic skirmishes.
Last edited by Tassadar on Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WalterTFD
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: AO Very Slow Retrograde

Post by WalterTFD »

I dunno if you caught the news, but it looks like 1940 is going to be out on Dec 12th! Can't wait.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO Spanish Civil War - Toledo

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 4285

Hero:

Ah, a hero I cannot use, just what I needed. Udo Hofmann will have to wait all the way until AO 1939 to be assigned to a unit, probably to pioneers. For now however this is irrelevant during multiple scenarios.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IA - OS12 - *
PzAbt 2 - Panzer IA - OS12 - *

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 221 - *

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 1 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport) - Ferocious Defense
Panzerjäger Abt 2 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport)

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - Double Attack - *

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51 - OS14

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Hs123a
I./AG 1 - He 70 Rayo - *

Startegic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Another example of issues caused by a slower, less flexible core force. I'm not fast enough to cut off the Republican army before they reach Toledo and create an encirclement. This requires immediate attention else I will quickly fail the bonus objective.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 3958 (down 327)

Overall:

Prestige loss was expected in such a defensive scenario and all the artillery on hills around Toldeo, but it hurts all the same. I still cannot buy anything new nor upgrade anything, so relying on artillery and the Spanish forces to serve as a relief force was really tricky. While applying suppression usually helps "mark" targets, it not always work and my advancing force tended to get into trouble. Ultimately I managed to get all bonus objectives, but Toldedo got encircled for two turns early and things got really dangerous then. Another turn or two and the defenders would have given up. Previously with three tanks and three recons I was able to provide quick aid and cut the opposing army in two, stabilizing the situation before things managed to escalate. There was not such possibility this time, at least none that I could think of.

AO Spanish Civil War - Early Madrid

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 4072

Hero:

Very interesting opportunity. If I am lucky and also get an Envelopment hero, they could greatly improve my prestige situation. With no plans to use much captured equipment this would just make me feel safer in prestige terms only, but that could have huge potential. With this in mind Torsten Schmitz joins AufkAbt 1.

New Units Commissioned:

Artillerie Abt 8 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)

Literally the only thing I can do to in terms of new purchases to increase my firepower.

New Equipment Provided:

Artillerie Abt 6 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)

Another slight upgrade, only one that is allowed in accordance to the requirements sheet.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IA - OS12 - *

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 221 - ** - Overwhelming Attack

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 1 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport) - Ferocious Defense
Panzerjäger Abt 2 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport)

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 4 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - *
Artillerie Abt 6 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51 - OS14

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Hs123a - *
I./AG 1 - He 70 Rayo - **

Startegic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Half way through the scenario a horde of artillery units moves to secure the river crossing near Madrid anticipating the upcoming counter attack.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 2922 (down 1150)

Overall:

Second scenario with prestige lost and a lot of it this time. This is a disturbing trend that I need to stop as soon as possible. Not being able to use the Verdeja 2 tank due to rules also hurts a lot. Not only because of the insane stats at this point of the war, but also since I am desperately starved for any mobile units that can help me fill any gaps in formations and limit losses my towed artillery, AT and AA guns take. This was so far the most challenging scenario ever. I did not fully reach the river when tanks started to cross it and had to hold them off on the other side, slowly pushing towards victory hexes. Fierce fighting continued until the very last turn and I was not sure I will be able to hold on to the critical river positions.

AO Spanish Civil War - Corunna Road

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 3325

Hero:

Haha, what a comeback! The entire situation got turned on its head with just two heroes awarded one after another. Udo Schäfer appears like a champ giving me a chance to save my worsening prestige situation. He will immediately join AufkAbt 1. I literally could not get a better hero in this situation. It remains to be seen how much he will able to stabilize the prestige bleed, but I have this feeling things will look a lot better from now on and I can focus on trying to meeting the bonus objectives without worrying as much about running out of supplies.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IA - OS12 - * - Steamroller

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 221 - ** - Overwhelming Attack, Envelopment

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 201 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport) - Ferocious Defense - *

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 2 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - *
Artillerie Abt 3 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - *
Artillerie Abt 5 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - *
Artillerie Abt 6 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - *
Artillerie Abt 7 - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA (Horse Transport) - *

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 1 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Horse Transport) - *

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51 - OS14

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Hs123a - *

Startegic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

CTV support is absolutely needed this time to meed the bonus objectives. I do not have enough ground troops otherwise to capture the prison at all, not even considering the scenario turn limit.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 3515 (up 190)

Overall:

Envelopment/Overwhelming attack combo did allow me to capture a few units and come out of this scenario with a prestige gain. It might not be as impressive as I assumed, but that's still a gain. With how bad things looked previously I have no reason to complain. However, I still desperately require upgrades. I cannot solely rely on CTV support to fill in gaps in my ground forces as it is costly and means less experience for my own units. Also more an more scary Republican planes appear which means my single AA gun and single fighter are outgunned and cannot keep up. It seems that due to this majority of my prestige losses right now come from air raids on unprotected units.
WalterTFD wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:16 pm I dunno if you caught the news, but it looks like 1940 is going to be out on Dec 12th! Can't wait.
I saw some Steam store page screens but did not get the expected release date yet, thanks! That is indeed great news and I should have enough time to finish this run. I will probably not start the third one with another set of very special mystery rules before AO 1941, but I'm already thinking about it as well. My Panzer Corps 2 addiction is strong these days. :)
Last edited by Tassadar on Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO Spanish Civil War - Bilbao

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 3933

Hero:

With only one recon unit Klaus Weber needs to join PzAbt 1. Extra +1 movement on tanks makes this hero better on them than usual, so I expect quite good results in the long run.

New Units Commissioned:

Panzerjäger Abt 3 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport)
Panzerjäger Abt 4 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport)
FlaK Abt 2 - 3.7 cm FlaK 18 (Horse Transport)
FlaK Abt 3 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Horse Transport)
II./SG 1 - He 45

Finally some new units available! I welcome the addition of two more AT gun battalions, an extra tactical bomber (even obsolete as it is), but most importantly, ultra valuable AA cover.

New Equipment Provided:

Panzerjäger Abt 2 - Panzer I Breda

As per the sheet, I am allowed to deploy a single Panzer I Breda unit. Being a makeshift machine that was not produced in large numbers this barely qualifies, but as long as it was combat used and not a factory prototype, it counts.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IA - OS12 - * - Steamroller, Superior Maneuver
PzAbt 2 - Panzer IA - OS12 - * - Steamroller

Recon

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 1 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport) - Ferocious Defense - *
Panzerjäger Abt 2 - Panzer I Breda

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 2 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - *

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51 - OS14 - *

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Hs 123a - *
II./SG 1 - He 45

Startegic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber - *
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber - *
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber - *

Reserve

7.5 cm FK 16 nA is quite obsolete at this point, time to leave it in reserve for now.

Now this is just silly!

Summary:

Final Prestige: 5397 (up 1464)

Overall:

I was a bit concerned about the siege nature of this scenario, but it looks like that massive artillery force I have been building up finally paid off. Their salvos cleared the way for infantry like a charm and extra AT gun protection also proved useful The best thing however was finally being able to use more AA guns. This caused enemy planes a lot of damage and essentially meant there were very little targets that could have been safely attacked by the Republican air force this time together with captures from AufkAbt 1 I gained a lot of prestige and secured the objectives less painfully than in previous scenarios. The bonus objective required putting some roadblocks for attacking allies to direct them where I wanted and was surprisingly the most difficult thing to do.

AO Spanish Civil War - Brunete

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 6613

Hero:

Jürgen Schröder can join Artillerie Abt 2, since I will almost always want artillery on the field, but also since with so many artillery units, I will be unlikely to have enough heroes for all of then. This assignment should further improve my prestige situation and wit unit upgrades on the way, things are looking much better.

New Units Commissioned:

PzAbt 3 - Panzer IA - OS12
FlaK Abt 4 - 3.7 cm FlaK 18 (Horse Transport)
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a

I'm adding an extra tank after Panzer IB becomes available. Also, some more AA cover, since it worked so fine last tine and is so cheap plus a new Tactical Bomber after upgrades in I./SG 1.

New Equipment Provided:

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IB
I./SG 1 - Ju 87A

These are really nice stat improvements, but even better, they allow me to get an extra tanks and tactical bomber overall.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IB - * - Steamroller, Superior Maneuver

Recon

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 2 - Panzer I Breda - *

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 2 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - Legendary - *

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51 - OS14 - *

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *
II./SG 1 - He 45
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a

Startegic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber - *

Reserve

This is finally starting to look like a proper air force, but the amount of biplanes is a bit disturbing.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 9652 (up 3039)

Overall:

Prestige is looking much, much better. Quite crazy in fact. 460 gained form the new Legendary hero and a lot from unit captures starts to really add up. Interestingly I do not need it as much yet, but I'm curious about Ebro and later about 1939, since in French scenario underpowered equipment might once again start to cause issues. For now however I feel things are progressing really well after a very rough start to this run in 1936. It seems that with AA veteran and more AA units I stopped the major source of my initial unit losses. I have nothing against if the prestige situation never becomes a problem again and I can solely focus on side objectives with this unusual army.

AO Spanish Civil War - Gijon

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 10662

Hero:

I./AG 1 will be happy to see Thomas Hoffmann as he will allow the recon planes to operate quite safely even without fighter escorts. This is especially important since I just managed to get my second fighter now, so even if AA guns do a great job covering my own forces, my escorting capacity is quite limited.

New Units Commissioned:

II./JG 1- He 51

New Equipment Provided:

Artillerie Abt 7 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)
I./KG 1 - Ju 86
I./JG 1 - He 112

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IB - * - Steamroller, Survivor, Superior Maneuver

Recon

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - Double Attack - **
Artillerie Abt 7 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - *

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

II./JG 1- He 51

Startegic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *

Reserve

I./JG 1 - He 112 - *
I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *
II./SG 1 - He 45
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a
I./AG 1 - He 70 Rayo - ** - Resilient

I can't imagine anything or anyone can currently stand a chance against that many 10.5 cm leFH 18 guns.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 13077 (up 2415)

Overall:

Once again the prestige gain is very high. I did some calculations while playing and it seems to be due to the fact that most prestige is used up by my allies, but with this much artillery they take significantly reduced losses and this creates a prestige increasing cycle fueled my my recon unit captures. Also, I was really concerned about the path with more fortifications and potentially tricky objectives, but it turned out to be not as bad, especially with the current setup. In the open field scenarios it is much easier to get in a bad situation against T-26 tanks, bombarded where it hurts or simply overextend. With a tighter front line things go slower, but with less nasty surprises. I think I grew to appreciate this little fact.
WalterTFD

Post by WalterTFD »

The cynical thing to say is that envelopment has, once again, saved a run. But honestly, from the sound of things, the endless artillery is just stronk. I'd never have thought that so many cannons could be worth it, particularly when they aren't the kind that support vs. both hard and soft.

“Though my guards may sleep and my ships may lay at anchor, our foes know full well that the big guns never tire.”
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO Spanish Civil War - Teruel

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 14070

Hero:

Jürgen Meyer will for now stay in reserve. I plan to assign him to an infantry unit in the future, so we will spend SCW behind the scenes and getting prepared for campaigns to come.

New Units Commissioned:

FlaK Abt 5 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Horse Transport)
PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA

With new equipment sent to FlaK Abt 5, I issue a request for some extra AA equipment with high command in case I need less powerful, but more spread out cover for my units. Panzer IIA can join as it meets the criteria of assigning bonus units in the run.

New Equipment Provided:

FlaK Abt 1 - 8.8 cm Flak 18 (SdKfz 7)
II./KG 1 - Ju 86

Powerful AA/AT gun and first ever non horse transport plus anther better strategic bomber are all welcome. With Retrograde trait every minor change feels really powerful.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IB - ** - Steamroller, Survivor, Superior Maneuver
PzAbt 2 - Panzer IA - OS12 - ** - Steamroller
PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA - to join during the mission

Recon

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 1 - 8.8 cm Flak 18 (SdKfz 7) - *

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *

Startegic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *
II./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *

Reserve

I./JG 1 - He 112 - *
II./JG 1- He 51
II./SG 1 - He 45
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a

Yes, I deploy all my AA guns, but with the plan to spread out them in AT mode as cover in open terrain. As it turned out, this did not work as efficiently as I expected.

Made an unusual discovery. If the medical unit is split into two, then even after combining, the bonus objective for escorting it does not trigger. Not sure if it's a bug or intentional, but I found out the hard way. Good I still have enough CP for Ebro.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 14023 (down 47)

Overall:

Interestingly despite some captures I am down on prestige. Not by much, but still an undeniable fact. This is probably because Spanish cavalry was too fast for their own good and my army could not keep up. My allies charged ahead of my artillery and AT gun wall and got into some trouble due to that. Even manipulating the attack/defend/hold position commands did not fully work as expected. AI made some really strange decisions this time and a few units got entirely wiped out, but not before reinforcing and eating away my prestige supply.

AO Spanish Civil War - Aragon Offensive

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 15274

Hero:

Nice and simple, Klaus Weber is the perfect choice for I./JG 1. I've grew to really like Fast Rebase for the added flexibility to always have my fighters where I need them. With AA veteran some of that functionality is not as important, but still this will be a useful ability to have regardless of the year.

Tank

PzAbt 3 - Panzer IA - OS12 - *
PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA

Recon

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 112 - * - Fast Rebase
II./JG 1- He 51

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *
II./SG 1 - He 45
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a

Reserve

I./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *
II./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *

Finally my unit list grows enough that I can start making meaningful decisions about what to deploy. Remembering rather high amount of tanks in this scenario, I put strategic bombers in reserve.

It's quite crowded around the mountains these days, but once again the large amount of artillery available allows me to take down defenders one by one with the help of Nationalist infantry. I even attempted to bait the defenders into moving with my AA guns to make this go faster, but seeing heavy support fire possible they not once dared to step out of their fortified positions.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 16315 (up 1041)

Overall:

A few interesting observations came up. Firstly, once again any close terrain battles are a breeze. Hills, mountains, forests and such are perfect ground to utilize my army. On the other hand, moving in open terrain requires constantly staying withing the range of my AT support at all times and having to rely on tactical bombers to soften up armored targets. It's funny how much the Verdeja 2 for measly two CP makes a difference. Being able to stand up to any Republican tank it could rush freely and make favorable trades, while now I have no such ground unit and I need to constantly remember why the armament of the Panzer I was called "sprinklers" by some Polish soldiers in 1939...

AO Spanish Civil War - Battle of the Ebro

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 16850

Hero:

I enjoy having Fast Learner heroes early, so Lars Schwarz can be assigned to FlaK Abt 2, newly equipped with half-track AA guns and this way pick up experience much faster, as occasions to seriously deploy that much AA power will go down in 1939.

New Units Commissioned:

AufkAbt 2 - SdKfz 231 6Rad
AufkAbt 3 - SdKfz 231 6Rad
III./JG 1- He 51 - OS14

Finally I have access to new recon units. I only plan to deploy one in the scenario and normally I would only be able to buy one but as per self imposed SCW rules, I can just get two immediately, so take that offer. Also III./JG 1 can take II./JG 1 planes and II./JG 1 take I./JG 1 ones, with the most experienced units receiving the shiny Bf 109B straight for the factory.

New Equipment Provided:

FlaK Abt 2 - SdKfz 10/4
I./JG 1 - Bf 109B
II./JG 1 - He 112

Major improvement in fighters available, finally after a really long while. Also a mobile AA unit I won't say no to, but it for a long time will be my only one. I would be allowed up to four, but they are slot costly, and for now horse drawn guns can do the basic job just as fine and cover multiple spread out positions.

Tank

PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA

Recon

AufkAbt 2 - SdKfz 231 6Rad

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 2 - SdKfz 10/4 - Fast Learner

Fighter

I./JG 1 - Bf 109B - * - Fast Rebase, Adolf Galland
II./JG 1 - He 112
III./JG 1- He 51 - OS14

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *
II./SG 1 - He 45
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a

Reserve

I./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *
II./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *

Reserve

AA veteran is very powerful and any plane unlucky enough to get caught by more than one AA unit is most likely not going to make it. This trait saved me at the beginning of the game, but now it's becoming truly strong, saving tons of prestige I'd otherwise need to replace losses of my bombarded artillery and helping achieve air superiority even with a limited fighter force. I do deploy some Italian planes as well to make things even safer.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 19444 (up 2594)

Overall:

Funny thing - I started Ebro with more prestige and ended up with more, despite not covering as much ground and not fully dealing with Miravet and Rasquera attackers. I lack the power to punch through as easily, but taking a slower approach is as successful as it turns out. I take less losses but also do not capture as much - AufkAbt 1 contributes a lot of course, but in search of tempting surrender targets it does tend to get into nasty situations and requires proper support. Some targets even when weakened shoot back hard and thus capturing them is not as effortless as it might seem, even with this powerful combo. I expect that in 1939 a Char 1B or Somua S35 might not be impressed by my recon car guns and thus not be as easy to deal damage to. Overall I'm really satisfied with the results of this battle, but I'm sure luck played a significant role as well, since my relief force that crossed the river did not get attacked from behind at any point.
WalterTFD wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:45 pm The cynical thing to say is that envelopment has, once again, saved a run. But honestly, from the sound of things, the endless artillery is just stronk. I'd never have thought that so many cannons could be worth it, particularly when they aren't the kind that support vs. both hard and soft.

“Though my guards may sleep and my ships may lay at anchor, our foes know full well that the big guns never tire.”
AufkAbt 1 does a phenomenal job, but since I do not use captured units, it mainly gives me peace of mind when it comes to my prestige situation. But the wall of endless artillery is just amazing indeed. Before I had full AA cover replacements for them cost me tons of my supplies, but after getting more cheap AA units I stopped leaking prestige and was able to use that firepower really efficiently. The thing is, encirclement and air force are all that's really needed against tanks in SCW if I take it slow, so I do not feel the lack of AT stopping power yet.
WalterTFD

Post by WalterTFD »

Last time it looked like you stormed into Madrid fairly directly, crushing one faction against the other, but if I were you I'd try surrounding the whole thing, including both factions. It's set up so you can do that, and it seems like with your billion artillery army that would be a safe, easy way to suppress everyone and capture an unbelievable bounty.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

WalterTFD wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:00 pm Last time it looked like you stormed into Madrid fairly directly, crushing one faction against the other, but if I were you I'd try surrounding the whole thing, including both factions. It's set up so you can do that, and it seems like with your billion artillery army that would be a safe, easy way to suppress everyone and capture an unbelievable bounty.
I'll be sure to do that on run three for reasons related to how it's going to be set up. :D

For now I think just moving the artillery wall slowly west will be perfectly enough - even if I captured all that equipment I would not put it then to good use and also I might lack the mobility to do that fast enough, before the troops in the city jut settle the differences between themselves. I'll put it to a test however to see for next time when pulling this of will be very beneficial. Appreciate the suggestion!
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO Spanish Civil War - Catalonia

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 21033

Hero:

Another Fast Rebase? Don't mind if I do. Fast response of my air force combined with AA veteran will mean I am safe from any serious damage from bombers a s long as I do not over extend my lines.

New Equipment Provided:

Tank

PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA - *

Recon

AufkAbt 2 - SdKfz 231 6Rad - *

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 1 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport) - * - Ferocious Defense

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - ** - Double Attack
Artillerie Abt 2 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - ** - Legendary
Artillerie Abt 4 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - **
Artillerie Abt 5 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - **

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 1 - 8.8 cm Flak 18 (SdKfz 7) - **
FlaK Abt 2 - SdKfz 10/4 - Fast Learner

Fighter

III./JG 1 - He 112

Tactical Bomber

II./SG 1 - He 45 - *
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a - *

Reserve

II./JG 1- He 51 - OS14 - Fast Rebase
I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - **
I./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *
II./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *

Summary:

I've learned my lesson. I only deploy a tiny air presence and have a dense guard formation of artillery and AA guns in AT mode positioned around the airfield and Vic to intercept any uninvited guests while mobile part of the force hunts down transport columns.

Final Prestige: 21533 (up 500)

Overall:

With less mobile ground troops this took a lot longer than in a normal run, but I did not have any issues completing both objectives. That's how it should be. Bonus scenarios should optimally be about making decisions or even just unique, almost relaxing conditions rather than impossible odds.

AO Spanish Civil War - Madrid 1939

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 24022

Hero:

SCW ends on a high note with another Double Attack hero I immediately assign to Artillerie Abt 3. Having two double attack artillery pieces is almost like having four separate ones, so the benefit of that solution is huge.

Tank

PzAbt 2 - Panzer IA - OS12 - ** - Steamroller, Survivor
PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA - *

Recon

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 3 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - * - Double Attack

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 2 - SdKfz 10/4 - * - Fast Learner

Fighter

III./JG 1 - He 112

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - **
II./SG 1 - He 45 - *
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a - *

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *
II./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *

Reserve

Some things never change. Large encirclement in city conditions is deadly for any defending forces.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 25470 (up 1448)

Overall:

And so SCW ends with a scenario where once again all that was really needed was to let two sides combat each other. Marking targets for the opposition with artillery, using infantry finally put under my control directly and softening up forces by air was the way to go, but I did once again notice the disturbing lack of stopping power against tanks. I had to lure enemies into close terrain as often as possible and try to take advantage on that since any "fair" tank on tank battle was just suicide.

AO Spanish Civil War - Summary

Starting Prestige: 1123
Final Prestige: 24022 (up 22899)

End prestige is higher in the standard run, despite the poor start and trouble with a very limited unit pool. I can't deny the power of Envelopment/Overwhelming Attack in allowing for such a result!

Final Army Composition:

Tank

PzAbt 3 - Panzer IA - OS12 - ** - Steamroller
PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA - *

Recon

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 2 - Panzer I Breda - ** - Survivor

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 3 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - ** - Double Attack
Artillerie Abt 6 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - **

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 3 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Horse Transport) - *

Fighter

I./JG 1 - Bf 109B - ** - Fast Rebase, Adolf Galland
III./JG 1 - He 112

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - **
II./SG 1 - He 45 - *
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a - *

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *
II./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *

Thoughts:

Combination of Retrograde, Slow Modernization and further restrictions on unit availability caused some unique dilemmas and hard decisions initially, but as the game progressed things balanced up. Ideally I would not take AA veteran as after Bilbao when the AA unit roster opened up, I was no longer in pickle trying to take down swarms of planes. However, I will not change it now moving to 1939, it would not feel right after making the commitment. Besides, later in the game the opposing air force will not go down so easily and besides I./JG 1 the rest of my fighter force is not too experienced. I'm sure to suffer still on the tank front (no Czechoslovakian equipment in AO 1939 probably all the way until Denmark) and on the heavy hitters side. Some infantry restriction and slower transport upgrades will also be a thing, but with as many AO scenarios as there are, I should catch up in the end. I'm looking forward to next missions as this approach makes me appreciate many units a lot more and use tactics I would not otherwise consider. I just hope by the time of AO 1940 I will get some decent anti-armor upgrades, since Panzer I and II are not going to last long against French tanks!

AO 1939 - Czechoslovakia

Available hardware for 1939 looks underwhelming in a few categories. I should finally be able to have an air force that is up to standards, but gaining needed experience will take much more time than I'd like it to. Tanks are going to be limited again, with just single units I can use, so I'll have to rely on Panzer I and II longer then I would hope for. I am also wondering how my transport situation will look like. With just one upgrade per mission and just one "level" of transports, making the force more mobile is going to be a long process. At least I will have the motivation to use cavalry this time.

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 28129

Hero:

A useful infantry hero luckily at a time when infantry can be selected at all. Will come in useful in the large pending hero assignments about to come.

New Units Commissioned:

Pionier Brücken Bataillon 1 - Brückenpioniere
Pionier Bataillon 1 - Pioniere (Opel Blitz)
Kavallerie Reg 1 - Kavallerie
Infanterie Reg 1 - Wehr Infanterie
Infanterie Reg 2 - Wehr Infanterie
Infanterie Reg 3 - Wehr Infanterie
Infanterie Reg 4 (span.) - Azul Infanterie (Opel Blitz)

I can only buy one new Opel Blitz, so for now just my pioneers will be able to use truck transport. They will be the most busy unit that is needs that more than any others. Azul Infanterie starts with their own truck, so at least there's that little extra bonus - I can even use that considering historical División Azul and I'm not about to complain for being able to use at least this extra unit in addition to the Panzer IIA.

New Equipment Provided:

III./KG 1 - He 111H2

Not much happening on new equipment front, or rather almost nothing I can deploy for now. The mighty 15 cm sFH 18 is available, but it blocks the ability to give my infantry trucks since it needs the transport upgrade, so I won't use many of these any time soon, despite the allowed limit capped at 10.

Infantry

Pionier Brücken Bataillon 1 - Brückenpioniere - River Assault
Pionier Bataillon 1 - Pioniere (Opel Blitz) - River Assault, First Aid
Infanterie Reg 4 (span.) - Azul Infanterie

Tank

PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA - *

Recon

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Reserve

III./JG 1 - He 112
I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - **
II./SG 1 - He 45 - *
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a - *
I./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *
II./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

After securing river passages, all that's left to do is to bombard Czechoslovakian units on the other side forcing them into an endless replacements loop, counter attacking with a recon in case it fails at any of the three key points and my army is driven back. While efficient, it does cause an issue and constant need for replacements if the enemy is only mildly suppressed, but I don't have that many units to spread the force around. And alternative would be to put my forces next to the river and do a coordinated assault just when Plezen is about to fall. Both objectives are mutually exclusive, so that's just for the experience and prestige form hex capturing. For sure not the most efficient method, but with prestige to spare I take the liberty of a more costly tactics for those tiny experience bits. And to tell the truth, it only occurred to me after the fact.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 29122 (up 993)

Overall:

Nice and simple scenario, but last time I had more infantry with transports that could take river hexes instead of AT guns and do the same job much better. The alternative option I mentioned will have to be something to consider for the future, sadly as it is often the case best ideas that come up only after looking at something later. I'm also really curious how Retrograde will impact my upgrade options, for now things seem to be really strict in this new setup.
WalterTFD

Post by WalterTFD »

Sometimes you get Envelopment...other times River Assault. RNG giveth, and it taketh away.

It's interesting that the Prestige has passed the 'ordinary' playthrough. You had an envelopment hero in the last one, right? Is the difference your greater experience with the maps, or do you think the artillery mob is just really good at forcing surrenders?
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

WalterTFD wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:00 am Sometimes you get Envelopment...other times River Assault. RNG giveth, and it taketh away.

It's interesting that the Prestige has passed the 'ordinary' playthrough. You had an envelopment hero in the last one, right? Is the difference your greater experience with the maps, or do you think the artillery mob is just really good at forcing surrenders?
I first thought about this in the Gijon scenario and like suggested there I see a few reasons behind this trend:
  • Envelopment/Overwhelming attack is a lot of prestige where in normally would not be able to force a surrender, but just Envelopment in the earlier run was good as well. The only difference now is that I do not need to soften the enemy up first and thus capture more, but at the same time the recon gets hit back much harder, so overall gains are not that much different, since I spend more on elite replacements for it.
  • My tanks are on the squishy side and the army is less mobile, so I progress slowly, more in one line and without taking major risks if I can avoid it. This means less losses on average.
  • Equipment is cheaper to replace. There are some exceptions like cavalry and artillery, but after I got more than one AA unit then the bane of my existence in early SCW - bombers and fighters, stopped doing those nasty hits. Funny enough in a normal run without AA veteran I deployed less AA cover and got hit harder.
  • Artillery cannot be underestimated as well - two double attack guns are great! I am sometimes able to entirely suppress a unit o leave 1-2 points to fight back and then just finish it off without any losses. It does not happen in all conditions, but in close terrain it works wonders.
  • Finally, replaying the maps so soon is for sure a factor, but I also took the paths that I did not take previously, so that's for sure just another tiny element.
In general, I it's probably all of these things combined. To think after Early Madrid I was seriously concerned I'd have to start converting some lower tier heroes for prestige! Luckily things managed to get back on the right track.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO 1939 - Sarreguemines

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 30293

Hero:

A hero with a lot of potential on a Panzer II with Rapid Fire and a lot of infantry on the field early in the war. A welcome addition to my forces to slightly compensate the decreased tank firepower in general.

New Units Commisioned:

Grenadier Reg 1 - Grenadier (Opel Blitz)
PzAbt 5 - Panzer IIC
AufkAbt 4 - SdKfz 222

Time to add a few units to the important army parts - infantry, tanks and recons, utilizing the new possibilities that occurred. Grenadiers take up the transport for the turn, so I cannot not give trucks to anyone else yet.

New Equipment Provided:

II./JG 1 - Bf 109E
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B
I./KG 1 - Do 17Z

New equipment for existing units consists fully of better planes. French opposition has really good machines, so I want to achieve a decent standard as soon as possible.

Infantry

Infanterie Reg 4 (span.) - Azul Infanterie (Opel Blitz)

Tank

PzAbt 2 - Panzer IA - OS12 - ** - Steamroller, Survivor, Albert Kerscher
PzAbt 5 - Panzer IIC - Butcher

Recon

AufkAbt 4 - SdKfz 221

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - Fast Rebase

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *

Reserve

A lot less artillery this time - I should have more than enough time to take it slow and not have to worry about concentrated enemy forces.

PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA - *
AufkAbt 3 - SdKfz 231 6Rad - *
Artillerie Abt 5 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - ** - Skilled Support
III./JG 1- He 112
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a - *
I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
II./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

I've been chasing corporal Durand for quite a while along the map. I never though Renault R35 tanks can be such a pain in the neck until I faced them with my fancy Panzer I's...

Summary:

Final Prestige: 31890 (up 1597)

Overall:

A few discoveries. Expected one involves having a tough time with French tanks and infantry, both of which can put up a fight and hit hard if I ever forget about support. The less expected one is that cavalry is amazing in terms of speed considering the lack of transports, but insanely costly to replace. With its lower defense parameters it's not something I was not aware of, but only saw the impact of it when using cavalry on the field. Still, it's for now a necessary evil. Finally, Albert Kerscher will have to settle with a Panzer IA for a long time. Any upgrade moving from this will be insanely good...

AO 1939 - Warndt Forest

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 33667

Hero:

Yet another infantry upgrade. Infanterie Reg 4 (span.) will become an efficient unit for clearing flag hexes, mostly in close terrain. I appreciate this opportunity as combined with artillery suppression this makes city combat much easier when dealing with key fortified locations.

New Equipment Provided:

Artillerie Abt 2 - 15 cm sFH 16 (SdKfz 7)
I./JG 1 - Bf 109E
Former Artillerie Abt 5, now Panzer Artillerie Abt 1 - Sturmpanzer I

My first 15 cm sFH 16, really needed in this scenario where artillery is all. Sturmpanzer I upgrade is a thing for the future since for now I do not need anything else upgraded critically. Increasing the firepower of my air force is welcome as well.

Infantry

Infanterie Reg 4 (span.) - Azul Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - Flag Killer

Tank

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 2 - 15 cm sFH 16 (SdKfz 7) - ** - Legendary

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - Bf 109E - ** - Fast Rebase, Adolf Galland
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - Fast Rebase

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *

Strategic Bomber

III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

Reserve

PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA - *
AufkAbt 4 - SdKfz 222
Panzer Artillerie Abt 1 - Sturmpanzer I
III./JG 1- He 112
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a - *
I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
II./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *

I focus my attack through the center this time. The artillery wall tactics served me just fine in the past and this particular scenario really does not take kindly to flanking attempts, so I won't try it without higher damage units required to pull this off.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 33314 (down 353)

Overall:

As expected, I did not gain prestige from this scenario. I am still going for the bonus objectives as they will be quite useful to get all the heroes. I do not need them for gift units since I do not plan to use any of them in 1939 (even the Somua S35, not really feeling like it despite the great upgrade it would be). Warndt Forest showed campaign variance in its fullest this time. I saw almost no tanks in the French attacker waves. Certainly no Char B1 and almost nothing else. That added replay value confirms itself with such subtle surprises.

AO 1939 - Orenthal

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 34840

Hero:

Another Flag Killer can join Grenadier Reg 1 to improve their chances against key hexes.

New Equipment Provided:

Artillerie Abt 4 - 15 cm sFH 16 (SdKfz 7)
III./JG 1- Bf 109E
AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 222

Another 15 cm sFH 16 gun will significantly aid the siege of Orenthal. Luftwaffe is also happy with more modern fighters and my key capturing recon unit gets some newer vehicles to improve the chances of surviving an attack from everything that did not get captured.

Infantry

Grenadier Reg 1 - Grenadier (Opel Blitz) - Flag Killer
Infanterie Reg 4 (span.) - Azul Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - * - Flag Killer

Tank

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 222 - ** - Overwhelming Attack, Envelopment

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 4 - 15 cm sFH 16 (SdKfz 7) - **

Fighter

I./JG 1 - Bf 109E - ** - Fast Rebase, Adolf Galland
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - * - Fast Rebase

Reserve

PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA - *
AufkAbt 4 - SdKfz 221
III./JG 1- Bf 109E
I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a - *
I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
II./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

Getting Orenthal to fall takes much more time than I'd hope for. The fort is a major pain and had to be dealt with first, but without the 21 cm gun many more turns are required and the operation is slowed down. Taking down tank reinforcements also does not go as swiftly, so encirclement is completed later than expected.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 35591 (up 751)

Overall:

Fighting was quite intense! Decreased mobility forced me to use sub-optimal infantry for the siege and less heavy artillery also impacted my ability to take down key targets. AufkAbt 1 came to the rescue targeting key French tanks and forcing them to immediately surrender, however after each such move it had to retreat behind my lines as it was fiercely targeted by all artillery units which inflicting heavy losses to that valuable battalion. Hence despite a lot of captures my prestige gain was much smaller than it could have been in theory. I'm really glad I provided the unit with better vehicles that had better overall stats.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO 1939 - Forbach

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 34940

Volunteers only, no core army is deployed.

Reserve

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IB - *** - Steamroller, Survivor, Superior Maneuver
PzAbt 2 - Panzer IA - OS12 - *** - Steamroller, Survivor, Albert Kerscher
PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA - *
AufkAbt 4 - SdKfz 222
I./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *** - Fast Rebase, Adolf Galland
III./JG 1 - Bf 109E
I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a - *
I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
II./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

Again it is hard to say who won, but my bet is on the red army if this continued further.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 35440 (up to 600)

Overall:

Not much to say this time. No option to do upgrades and the scenario went very similar to the usual approach, with the sacrifice of just one auxiliary recon unit.

AO 1939 - Saarbrucken

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 37985

Hero:

A hero ideal for a tank unit considering the fact I'm stuck with weaker vehicles for quite a long time. Markus Richter finds home in PzAbt 4.

New Units Commissioned:

IV./JG 1 - Bf 109E

New Equipment Provided:

Pionier Brücken Bataillon 1 - (Opel Blitz) - transport provided
I./SG 1 - Ju 87B
II./KG 1 - Do 17Z

Further improvements to Luftwaffe and a valuable transport for my bridge engineers. Even if I do not end up using them, I prefer to have them more mobile if the need ever arrives and not being blocked from that by an ever more important transport upgrade elsewhere.

Infantry

Infanterie Reg 3 - Wehr Infanterie - Oleh Dir

Tank

PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA - * - Tenacious Defender

Recon

AufkAbt 4 - SdKfz 222

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

III./JG 1 - Bf 109E
IV./JG 1 - Bf 109E

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *

Reserve

Pionier Brücken Bataillon 1 - Brückenpioniere (Opel Blitz) - River Assault
AufkAbt 4 - SdKfz 222
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a - *
I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
II./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

With double artillery around Gersweiler the French are not willing to attack at all. They just move unit by unit to the river and get absolutely destroyed.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 40219 (up 2234)

Overall:

Defensive scenarios are significantly better for me than offensive ones for this army setup. With proper placement I can create death traps that engulf entire swarms of enemies and are really hard to combat. Fortified infantry takes key hexes, artillery provides major support and actively takes out enemy artillery when possible reducing their own suppression fire. AA veteran means any attempt to bombard such a group is suicidal and a tank or two in the rear reacts to any unexpected situations such as bridge engineers trying to sneak by. Also, AufkAbt 1 forced so many surrenders in previous missions that I've decided to keep it in reserve most of the time, using only for the tough scenarios where some powerful support is welcome.

AO 1939 - Battle of the Bzura

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 42813

Hero:

Tenacious Defender and Ignores ZOC should combine nicely. The latter allows to get deep between enemy units and the former should prevent getting destroyed as a consequence, so I build PzAbt 4 with this in mind.

New Equipment Provided:

Infanterie Reg 1 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - transport provided

No significant upgrades available, so I focus on creating a mobile infantry force. My artillery will have to live with horse transports for now.

Infantry

Infanterie Reg 1 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz)
Infanterie Reg 2 - Wehr Infanterie - Survivor
Infanterie Reg 3 - Wehr Infanterie - Oleh Dir

Tank

PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA - * - Tenacious Defender, Ignores ZOC

Recon

AufkAbt 4 - SdKfz 222

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - *** - Double Attack

Fighter

III./JG 1 - Bf 109E

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
II./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

Reserve

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 222 - *** - Overwhelming Attack, Envelopment
IV./JG 1 - Bf 109E
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a - *

Learning more encirclement rules to be able to take out fortified positions without infantry support, something I might find quite useful one day.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 44180 (up 1387)

Overall:

Good results despite the lack of my major capturing force in a large scenario. I was surprised how hard Polish tanks hit against my own armored units! While I took the first two river crossings early, I had to immediately turn to the defensive approach as the attack was quite intense and I lacked the force to quickly punch through, but also had perfect defensive setup. After the Polish army was stopped in their tracks, I slowly pushed it back and took the initiative, but much later in a usual run.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO 1939 - Modlin

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 44999

Hero:

Mobility improvements for the few tanks I do have. PzAbt 3 assignment for Christian Weber then.

New Units Commissioned:

Panzerzug Bicmarck - Armored Train

New Equipment Provided:

Infanterie Reg 2 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - transport provided

Infantry

Pionier Bataillon 1 - Pioniere (Opel Blitz) - * - River Assault, First Aid
Grenadier Reg 1 - Grenadier (Opel Blitz) - * - Flag Killer
Infanterie Reg 1 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - *
Infanterie Reg 2 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - Survivor - *
Infanterie Reg 3 - Wehr Infanterie - * - Oleh Dir

Tank

PzAbt 5 - Panzer IIC - * - Butcher, Steamroller, Survivor

Recon

AufkAbt 2 - SdKfz 231 6Rad - **

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 2 - 15 cm sFH 16 (SdKfz 7) - ** - Legendary, Skilled Support
Artillerie Abt 3 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - ** - Double Attack, Skilled Support

Fighter

III./JG 1 - Bf 109E

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *

Armored Train

Panzerzug Bismarck - Armored Train

Reserve

Kavallerie Reg 1 - Kavallerie - *
PzAbt 3 - Panzer IA - OS12 - ** - Steamroller, Ignores ZOC
PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA - * - Steamroller, Tenacious Defender, Ignores ZOC
AufkAbt 4 - SdKfz 222 - *
IV./JG 1 - Bf 109E
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a - *
I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
II./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

AufkAbt 3 takes a sneak peak at Modlin, the fortress cant be that hard to... OK let's pretend we did not see that and move back the same way we came. Wagner was right, we can leave this to a specialized unit after the mission. No way we're trying to take the fortifications with this army setup.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 45268 (up 269)

Overall:

A thing to do if I ever consider ultra hard achievements - take out Modlin fortress. That's 25 points of heavy fort stock that hits so hard it took half the strength of one of my tanks that was unlucky to get to close. With much sacrifice, encirclement and effort it possibly can be done, but that would be insanely costly. The few hits I took by accident already made things difficult and I would not be willing to try to get close on purpose. The first time was a surprise and then just a matter of careless miscalculation of how far the attack can actually go. Aside from that, the river crossings were not that severely guarded, but there was the risk of flanking attacks by Polish forces and a few cavalry and recon units did in fact try to demolish my artillery transports.

AO 1939 - Brest-Litovsk

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 46527 - I decide to not take the CP point conversion this time as none of the future awards is something I would end up using.

Hero:

Meh. At least Pionier Brücken Bataillon 1 will now have two heroes and be slightly more useful when helping with river crossings.

New Units Commissioned:

II./AG 1 - Fi 156 Storch

New Equipment provided:

FlaK Abt 3 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Opel Blitz) - transport provided

Infantry

Tank

Recon

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 3 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - *** - Double Attack, Skilled Support

Fighter

III./JG 1 - Bf 109E

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
II./AG 1 - Fi 156 Storch

Armored Train

Reserve

Pionier Brücken Bataillon 1 - Brückenpioniere (Opel Blitz) - River Assault, No Surrender
FlaK Abt 3 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Opel Blitz) - *
IV./JG 1 - Bf 109E
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a - *
I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
II./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

My army moves north to try a quick skirmish with the Soviets.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 48110 (up 1583)

Overall:

As the map is more condensed than Wlodawa I decide to try and test the Soviet army. I'm not sure if it's indeed the case, but their forces seemed to be quite small and quickly fell under intense artillery fire. The Narew river actually has some perfect positions for my own guns that allowed me to start the offense under safe conditions and besides, the Soviets were not making any actual progress against Bialystok constantly loosing troops against the city defenses despite support from rocket launchers.

AO 1939 - Warsaw

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 50836

Hero:

Meh again. I guess recently appointed II./AG 1 can use this hero sometimes, but it's really not an ability that will come up often and that does not provide any noticeable advantage.

New Equipment Provided:

Artillerie Abt 5 - 15 cm sFH 16 (SdKfz 7)

Infantry

Tank

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 3 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - *** - Double Attack, Skilled Support
Artillerie Abt 4 - 15 cm sFH 16 (SdKfz 7) - ** - Skilled Support
Artillerie Abt 5 - 15 cm sFH 16 (SdKfz 7) - ** - Skilled Support

Fighter

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
II./AG 1 - Fi 156 Storch - Sixth Sense

Tactical Bomber

I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
II./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

Armored Train

Reserve

Pionier Brücken Bataillon 1 - Brückenpioniere (Opel Blitz) - River Assault, No Surrender
AufkAbt 3 - SdKfz 231 6Rad - **
III./JG 1 - Bf 109E
IV./JG 1 - Bf 109E
III./SG 1 - Hs 123a - *

Serious city buster formation. Recon plane flies over the target, artillery deprives it of any strength and will to fight, infantry attack for major losses and the tank with overrun mops up any survivors. Meanwhile the triangle of artillery also ensures no infantry is willing to move and attack despite slightly open flanks.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 49784 (down 1082)

Overall:

Shortcomings of my army start to show. I took all the artillery and strategic bombers I could smashed through defended positions with them and created large encirclement, yet even in such a situation losses were quite high. In dense city terrain my forces had to stick close together and any attempt to move away from the core formations resulted in getting attacked by cavalry, tanks and tankettes that picked their targets intelligently. I quite enjoyed this as it proved there's still some challenging element despite my huge prestige buffer. I cannot afford to be relaxed since it's easy to run into trouble and having to overuse replacements is just the tip of the iceberg. I really don't want to make a decision that would cos me one of my experienced units, so I need to constantly remember I'm deprived of many super-units.
WalterTFD

Post by WalterTFD »

Warsaw is just a really neat map in general, with the city being divided into easy-to-surround pockets you'd think it was a breeze. But there are plenty of roaming/aggressive enemies that can come after you, such that if you are split up into two sides, and attempting multiple surrounds on each, it's easy to get too stretched out and get into trouble.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO 1939 - Raate Road

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 51542

Hero:

An improvement for II./SG 1 to not only deal damage, but help reduce enemy unit entrenchments. Very universal and often useful, it's only an issue if this type of hero comes up too often.

New Equipment Provided:

PzAbt 2 - Panzer 38(t)A
PzAbt 3 - Panzer 35(t)
Former III./SG 1, now I./ZG 1 - Bf 110C - *
FlaK Abt 4 - 3.7 cm FlaK 18 (Opel Blitz) - transport provided

Infantry

Tank

PzAbt 2 - Panzer 38(t)A - *** - Steamroller, Survivor, Albert Kerscher
PzAbt 3 - Panzer 35(t) - ** - Steamroller, Ignores ZOC

Recon

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 2 - 15 cm sFH 16 (SdKfz 7) - *** - Legendary, Skilled Support
Artillerie Abt 4 - 15 cm sFH 16 (SdKfz 7) - *** - Skilled Support
Artillerie Abt 5 - 15 cm sFH 16 (SdKfz 7) - ** - Skilled Support

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - ** - Entrenchment Killer 4x
I./ZG 1 - Bf 110C - *

Reserve

PzAbt 5 - Panzer IIC - ** - Butcher, Steamroller, Survivor
Artillerie Abt 7 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - **
FlaK Abt 4 - 3.7 cm FlaK 18 (Opel Blitz)
III./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *
IV./JG 1 - Bf 109E
I./AG 1 - He 70 Rayo - *** - Resilient
II./AG 1 - Fi 156 Storch - * - Sixth Sense
I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
II./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *
Panzerzug Bismarck - Armored Train - *

Wow, that was close! I miscalculated enemy range and PzAbt 4 almost got obliterated, attacked by one of the elite convoy units. That Soviet AA gun in AT mode is a monster that's as scary as the 8.8 cm FlaK I have in my force!

Summary:

Final Prestige: 51402 (down 140)

Overall:

I took AufkAbt 1 thinking its ability to instantly force surrenders and capture units would be useful. It indeed was, but the problem that arose was that predicted combat results were awful in almost any circumstances. This scenario took a while to complete and still do the bonus objective. I ended up chasing elite Soviet combat units around the map a long time while avoiding 1-3 strength regular units I was not allowed to dispose of first. It turned out to be quite the Benny Hill Show end theme scenario due to this, but ultimately I managed to succeed.

AO 1939 - Taipale

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 53660

Hero:

Even more Fast Rebase goodenss, Luftwaffe fighter force will be pleased.

New Equipment Provided

FlaK Abt 5 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Opel Blitz) - transport provided - note to self, I'm running out of available trucks!

Infantry

Tank

Recon

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 5 - 15 cm sFH 16 (SdKfz 7) - *** - Skilled Support

Fighter

III./JG 1 - Bf 109E - * - Fast Rebase
IV./JG 1 - Bf 109E

Tactical Bomber

I./ZG 1 - Bf 110C - *

Armored Train

Reserve

PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA - ** - Steamroller, Tenacious Defender, Ignores ZOC
FlaK Abt 5 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Opel Blitz)
I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - ***
I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
II./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

OK guys, stand in line please, you can't seriously expect to be served all at the same time!

Summary:

Final Prestige: 55746 (up 2086)

Overall:

Taipale always had much potential to earn some resources. With enough support the Soviets are not really willing to commit to an attack much and just swarm on the other side of the Suvanto river and lake. Now, if the water would become frozen things could get ugly quickly, but fortunately that does not seem to be possible. As it stands, my Double Attack artillery was wrecking havoc among the defenders and discouraged any attempts to storm my fortified infantry. Maybe the Soviets should get a few more artillery pieces in this scenario in general?

AO 1939 - Denmark

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 56540

Hero:

Ah, my most commonly occurring hero in SCW/1939 in the first recorded run. I'll try him out on Panzer Artillerie Abt 1, the Sturmpanzer was not deployed to often yet, but it does seem to get 1-2 power hits sometimes and this could save me the effort to get replacements.

New Equipment Provided

Artillerie Abt 1 - 21 cm Mrs (SdKfz 7)
FlaK Abt 1 - 8.8 cm Flak 36 (SdKfz 7)

Heavy hitting artillery is finally here. With Double Attack it is a true monster that will strike down any nasty forts in France. FlaK Abt 1 upgrade is mostly a flavor one - the stats on both guns are the same, it just reflects the switch to slightly newer production series.

Infantry

Infanterie Reg 4 (span.) - Azul Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - ** - Flag Killer

Tank

Recon

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Panzer Artillerie Abt 1 - Sturmpanzer I - Field Repairs

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

IV./JG 1 - Bf 109E

Tactical Bomber

I./ZG 1 - Bf 110C - *

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
II./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

Reserve

I decide that units that were deep in reserve deserve to see more action this time and keep most of the veterans home. This does cause some artillery shortage, but things can't be bad, Danish army is not that well equipped.

Artillerie Abt 1 - 21 cm Mrs (SdKfz 7) - *** - Double Attack
FlaK Abt 1 - 8.8 cm Flak 36 (SdKfz 7) - **
I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - ***

With less artillery, I need to resort to more classic methods to take care of infantry. Sadly, this does leave some units vulnerable - here AufkAbt 4 that seemed to be quite safe is attacked by quick Danish motorcycle forces appearing out of nowhere, getting severely damaged as a result.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 57208 (up 668)

Overall:

Only three artillery units was not a good idea as it turns out, even with all the air support! Danish army, under-powered as it was, managed to put up quite fight and cause a lot more trouble than I could have ever expected. Never underestimate the enemy, I will make sure to keep this in mind for any scenarios in 1940 where the opposition will in theory be a lot weaker. Where previously I probably broke the prestige gain record, I've just gained small bits compared to that. On the plus side, this made the scenario different and interesting, making me adapt and use other strategies in the absence of that major suppressing firepower I grew to rely on.

AO 1939 - Summary

Starting Prestige: 28129
Final Prestige: 57208 (up 29079)

Final Army Composition:

Infantry

Pionier Bataillon 1 - Pioniere (Opel Blitz) - ** - River Assault, First Aid

Tank

Recon

AufkAbt 4 - SdKfz 222 - **

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Panzer Artillerie Abt 1 - Sturmpanzer I - * - Field Repairs

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

IV./JG 1 - Bf 109E

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - ***
I./ZG 1 - Bf 110C - *

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
II./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

Armored Train

Thoughts:

With not using the CP point sink the prestige amount doubled since SCW. Army looks much more balanced than initially, but there are still noticeable shortcomings. I have a few horse drawn pieces of artillery still and some obsolete equipment such as the Panzer I. This will for sure improve further in 1940, but I like how Slow Modernization, Retrograde and the availability spreadsheet make me consider my choices and force different strategies, making previously easy scenarios much more challenging, especially in terms of bonus objectives. Not to mention the fact that experience is spread out in an entirely different manner than usual. Apart from single units my air force is rather green, and some of the more experience units in other fields are not necessarily the ones with best equipment. I can't wait to go through AO 1940, see what's available and make the same calculations for this next DLC to see what dilemmas I'll have to face next. This run is becoming more and more fun with each choice.
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Tassadar wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:59 am
AO 1939 - Raate Road

Overall:
I took AufkAbt 1 thinking its ability to instantly force surrenders and capture units would be useful. It indeed was, but the problem that arose was that predicted combat results were awful in almost any circumstances. This scenario took a while to complete and still do the bonus objective. I ended up chasing elite Soviet combat units around the map a long time while avoiding 1-3 strength regular units I was not allowed to dispose of first. It turned out to be quite the Benny Hill Show end theme scenario due to this, but ultimately I managed to succeed.
This scenario is very easy to win in about 8 - 10 rounds and with almost no losses. Only the Stukas lose 1-3 strength points from the Elite Flak. Here, the next time I play, I'll take a strategic bomber or two with me to suppress the elite flak, and other flaks.

You deploy a small group of your troops (1x Inf. 2x tanks, 1 mobile artillery, 1 reconnaissance, 1 mobile flak) in the east, near the own airfield and near the bridge. And in about round 3 you conquer the village and the airfield in the far east without being noticed. As a result, all planes crash in the east.

In the west, and there only in the south, you place your remaining troops, and withdraw with all troops west of the river / bridge.

With an infantry you conquer the western village and the airfield (approx. Round 2 or 3). All enemy planes are destroyed because they no longer have any airfields. In the West and the east there are no enemy troops in the little village and airfield.

Then you destroy with two or three tanks and the air force the few enemy units that are west of the bridge at the beginning (goes quickly). Then you place your two best tanks, covered by artillery and / or anti-tank, simply before the bridges.

The elite and regular troops come rushing in on their own and can be easily destroyed with the help of the air force and artillery, because there are standing on a bridge Hex.

No battle in the field has to take place here, as the elite troops always drive the way to the west and to the river crossing. Quite easy scenario.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

That's an interesting suggestion. I guess if I did not focus on capturing anything I could use that quick approach and just take the river locations, turning it into a defensive scenario and taking out opposition trying to take out the crossing. In the multi unit capturing Panzermon run this will be more tricky. Since the scenario ends when the basic units are eliminated and the elite ones are a potential treasure trove of replacements to some machines I still might use by then, I'll have to figure out yet another method - maybe combining your suggested approach with some sneak attacks from behind, since there's a 203mm artillery I could use to resupply on just in case, a mobile AA unit, "artillery" BT tank and a self-propelled AT gun among all the possible goodies and I'll try to get all of them then. :D
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Tassadar wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:06 pm ...

I'll have to figure out yet another method - maybe combining your suggested approach with some sneak attacks from behind, since there's a 203mm artillery I could use to resupply on just in case, a mobile AA unit, "artillery" BT tank and a self-propelled AT gun among all the possible goodies and I'll try to get all of them then. :D
Okay, interesting! :D

If it is possible, you can load a savegame and try the scenario again with my method. If you play it again, I would be happy to hear from you as to whether it worked. :wink:
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO 1940 - Fornebu

Unit availability list with marked possible upgrade/purchase options native to the AO1940. Of course I will get them a lot later with Retrograde, so not all will be possible to get this time. Neubaufahrzeug does not qualify as it was only a prototype. Now, I've used the Pazner I Breda and the tank here was also used in combat in Norway, but the AT machine was normally purchasable in the core. Looking at it now I'd skip this unit if I played the game again with these rules to focus more on the actually produced vehicles.

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 58178

Hero:

I'm fine with Leadership as a start of the run. AufkAbt 2 does not specialize in anything yet, so it might as well go for an indirect support role.

New Equipment Provided

Artillerie Abt 3 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Opel Blitz) - transport upgraded to truck

Not much happening in the availability of new units, so I use my last truck slot to give Artillerie Abt 3 more mobility.

Infantry

Infanterie Reg 2 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - * - Survivor

Tank

PzAbt 4 - Panzer IIA - ** - Ignores ZOC, Tenacious Defender, Steamroller

Recon

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 3 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Opel Blitz) - *** - Double Attack, Skilled Support

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

Tactical Bomber

I./ZG 1 - Bf 110C - *
I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - ***

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
II./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

Reserve

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IB - *** - Superior Maneuver, Steamroller, Survivor
AufkAbt 2 - SdKfz 231 6Rad - ** - Leadership
Artillerie Abt 6 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - ** - Skilled Support
IV./JG 1 - Bf 109E

Summary:

I may not have paratroopers available, but three Fast Rebase fighter groups manage to reach my besieged units and scare the enemies away with machine gun fire. What is most important of all, the Matilda I tank retreats to safety, making the defense so much easier.

That was close, but my bombers also secure the situation with Oscarborg Fortress.

Final Prestige: 60201 (up 2023)

Overall:

That was probably the fastest I ever moved in a scenario! With no paratroopers to rely on, I was concerned that my auxiliary forces north might not be able to defend long enough, but it turned out that the arrival of three fighter groups saved the day and gave me precious time. Attacked from the air, even if for just symbolic losses, the Norwegian troops retreated back to Oslo and allowed me to establish solid defensive positions. Destroying the Oscarborg Fortress in time was also tricky, but I succeeded just barely. Luckily my tactical bombers did the job, but I had to rotate their positioning on the airfield, especially since their support, I./KG 1 and II./KG 1 had barely the range to reach. That's a serious downside of the Do 17Z that makes the one more core slot for better bombers a solid argument to be made. Overall, being able to complete this scenario this way makes me really happy and gives hope for the Paznermon run where again I'll likely won't use paratrooper forces.

AO 1940 - Undisclosed Location CZ

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 60245

Hero:

That's a very universal hero, but with the lack of tanks and need to use my artillery more I decide to assign Robert Braun to Infanterie Reg 4 (span.), as it will be doing a lot of close combat and be vulnerable to artillery fire as a result.

New Equipment Provided

FlaK Abt 3 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (SdKfz 7) - transport upgraded to half-track

In order to free up a truck for the next mission I need to first upgrade one of my truck transports to a unused half-track model. That limit of transports per type is getting somewhat restrictive.

Recon

Fighter

IV./JG 1 - Bf 109E

Tactical Bomber

I./ZG 1 - Bf 110C - *
I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - ***

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - **

Reserve

Infanterie Reg 4 (span.) - Azul Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - ** - Flag Killer, Unyielding
Grenadier Reg 1 - Grenadier (Opel Blitz) - ** - Flag Killer
Artillerie Abt 3 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Opel Blitz) - *** - Double Attack, Skilled Support
Artillerie Abt 6 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - ** - Skilled Support
FlaK Abt 3 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (SdKfz 7) - *
II./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

Summary:

No paratroopers does not mean that my army cannot practice at all.

Final Prestige: 60445 (up 200)

Overall:

Unusual situations call for unorthodox methods. I deploy one recon unit and with tactical bombers make a hole in the bunker line. Then the recon can secure the airfield, my planes can rebase and do some shooting practice at the target dummies. Not what this mission was intended as probably, but it works and means I did not waste the training potential with the lack of intended troops. The planes had less time to gain experience than paratroopers would have, but with my fighters especially being one or even zero stars, this was more valuable than it may seem.

AO 1940 - Eben-Emael

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 62155

Hero:

Artillery Support should nicely combine with PzAbt 5 that already has the Butcher trait. AT units do not have the soft attack values to make this worthwhile and while I could also use infantry for it, tanks are much more mobile and can provide support in a more versatile way. The only thing for now is that I hardly visualize 20mm auto-cannons acting as artillery.

New Equipment Provided

Artillerie Abt 6 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Opel Blitz) - transport upgraded to truck

Truck freed up into the earlier mission gets assigned to my artillery. Horse transports slowly get phased out and with some luck might disappear almost entirely by the end of AO1940.

Infantry

Infanterie Reg 4 (span.) - Azul Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - ** - Flag Killer, Unyielding
Grenadier Reg 1 - Grenadier (Opel Blitz) - ** - Flag Killer

Tank

Recon

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 21 cm Mrs (SdKfz 7) - *** - Double Attack, Elsa Kloss
Artillerie Abt 6 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Opel Blitz) - ** - Skilled Support

Fighter

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - ***

Reserve

PzAbt 5 - Panzer IIC - ** - Artillery Support, Butcher, Steamroller, Survivor
FlaK Abt 3 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (SdKfz 7) - *
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - ** - Fast Rebase
IV./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *
I./ZG 1 - Bf 110C - **
I./KG 1 - Do 17Z - **
II./KG 1 - Do 17Z - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

Summary:

Eben Emael fort falls. Not in the way it was supposed to be, this takes a lot more time and effort, but it's the end result that counts after all.

Final Prestige: 62297 (up 142)

Overall:

Twelve turns is not much without Fallschirmjäger... not even close to comfortable. Also, the Eben-Emael forts are simply insane. Even Artillerie Abt 1 with Elsa Kloss does not have longer range than them and gets 3 loss 0 kills predictions... By not being able to cut them off turn 0, they can resupply and wreck havoc among my advancing forces. However, by own artillery is able to break AA cover and allow my tactical bombers to attack the forts. This take a long time, does not prevent the structures from firing, but combined with other little elements lead to successful fulfillment of all main and bonus objectives on the very last turn (just barely!). Pionier Brücken Bataillon 1 helped part of my army cross a gap in the fortifications just south of the main forts and AufkAbt 1 with Overwhelming Attack and Envelopment stepped in to do some serious work versus large infantry units blocking the way. While I prefer to keep this unit in reserve due to the power level of this hero combination, in scenarios like this one and Forbach when the intended approach is not feasible due to lack of units I appreciate the chance of having it as an option to find a workaround. It will again move to reserve for future missions as I do not expect it to be critical to success moving forward in 1940, maybe just showing up if there's not enough space in the main army - these guys deserved the rest after their contribution to two critical missions. A side effect of having AufkAbt 1 here is that I actually gained prestige despite my artillery getting absolutely slaughtered by heavy forts in the first several turns.
Last edited by Tassadar on Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2 AARs”