Why do you still stick with the OG Panzer Corps?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

heinzrondorf
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Why do you still stick with the OG Panzer Corps?

Post by heinzrondorf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:21 pm

My biggest issue with PzC (macOS issues aside) is definitely the hero system. I just can't understand how someone thought it would be a good idea to have a system where all units (more or less) can get the same types of heroes and there is no way of re-assigning/moving the heroes to units where they would actually be useful. It beggars belief that the hero system passed even the alpha version of the game let alone ended up in the final product. Move heroes on planes? Spotting heroes on towed artillery? Really? On the other hand a move hero on a 8.8 makes a huge difference and a spotting hero on a recon unit is great. The heroes have such a HUGE impact on the gameplay over a long campaign and the system is so flawed in PzC you get a situation where you either reload to get (somewhat) what you want or "hero farm" in order to increase the chances of getting something useful.

When I found out the hero system had been revamped in PzC 2 I became very enthusiastic but having read the comments on other issues with PzC 2 I am not anymore since it seems other aspects of PzC have been sacrificed in order to accommodate the 3D engine.

I would have paid money just to get a 1.5 patch of PzC where the hero system was revamped and it is such as an easy thing to correct which makes it even more frustrating.

Uhu
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Uhu » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:31 pm

I see your points and partly agree with it. I do not agree to move heroes to another units. That would be to easy. But I would make it more sophistical: hero types for the given unit type and only 1 point of it/hero. In that way it would be like an RPG system.
heinzrondorf wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:21 pm
My biggest issue with PzC (macOS issues aside) is definitely the hero system. I just can't understand how someone thought it would be a good idea to have a system where all units (more or less) can get the same types of heroes and there is no way of re-assigning/moving the heroes to units where they would actually be useful. It beggars belief that the hero system passed even the alpha version of the game let alone ended up in the final product. Move heroes on planes? Spotting heroes on towed artillery? Really? On the other hand a move hero on a 8.8 makes a huge difference and a spotting hero on a recon unit is great. The heroes have such a HUGE impact on the gameplay over a long campaign and the system is so flawed in PzC you get a situation where you either reload to get (somewhat) what you want or "hero farm" in order to increase the chances of getting something useful.

When I found out the hero system had been revamped in PzC 2 I became very enthusiastic but having read the comments on other issues with PzC 2 I am not anymore since it seems other aspects of PzC have been sacrificed in order to accommodate the 3D engine.

I would have paid money just to get a 1.5 patch of PzC where the hero system was revamped and it is such as an easy thing to correct which makes it even more frustrating.

heinzrondorf
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by heinzrondorf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:41 pm

Uhu wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:31 pm
I see your points and partly agree with it. I do not agree to move heroes to another units. That would be to easy. But I would make it more sophistical: hero types for the given unit type and only 1 point of it/hero. In that way it would be like an RPG system.
I would have been fine with that. As long as certain types of heroes could not be assigned to certain types of units.

- No move heroes for planes
- No spotting heroes for planes (in real life "spotting" is probably one of the most important and valued traits which really affects combat performance of a pilot but not in the game)
- No spotting heroes for artillery (at least if the unit is currently towed artillery)
- No spotting heroes for anti-aircraft (see above regarding planes, great in real life - more or less useless in the game)

There are probably other ones but the above are the ones that immediately come to mind and are absolutely infuriating in my opinion. No hero is COMPLETELY useless but if you compare the above with getting an attack, defence etc hero for the above unit type it is like night and day over the course of a campaign.

Uhu

Post by Uhu » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:47 pm

We agree. Also no Ini for Art. units for example.
heinzrondorf wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:41 pm
Uhu wrote:
I would have been fine with that. As long as certain types of heroes could not be assigned to certain types of units.

- No spotting heroes for planes (in real life "spotting" is probably one of the most important and valued traits which really affects combat performance of a pilot but not in the game)
- No spotting heroes for artillery (at least if the unit is currently towed artillery)
- No spotting heroes for anti-aircraft (see above regarding planes, great in real life - more or less useless in the game)

There are probably other ones but the above are the ones that immediately come to mind and are absolutely infuriating in my opinion. No hero is COMPLETELY useless but if you compare the above with getting an attack, defence etc hero for the above unit type it is like night and day over the course of a campaign.

guille1434
Major-General - Elite Tiger I
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by guille1434 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:14 pm

What I think it would be nice about heroes is to give the player/modder control over what kind of heroes could apperar in the different unit classes, by means of an excel table (just the same to the experience/initiative tables files or the kills/heroes probability ones already present in the game).
Editing such a table, the player can "tell" the game which stats can be improved by heroes in each of the different unit classes, and adjust the kind of heroes possible to the different units.

Also, the possibility to "rotate" or asign heroes to a different unit to the one that "gave birth" to him should be present as an optional fetaure (just like reform units or not).

proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:03 am

heinzrondorf wrote:

You do realize there were actual move heroes on planes in WW2, right? That was Charles Lindbergh's job, among others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_L ... rld_War_II

Ursulet
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Ursulet » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:06 am

heinzrondorf wrote:
Uhu wrote:

I am playing the Us Corps, i am mid 1943 and got 2 spotting heroes on a P-47 and that comes very handy, as i play it for the first time. Gives Real insight on the map.

I also got 2 3D heroes yesterday, in a row. On my mobile AA and a towed arty. :lol:

heinzrondorf
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by heinzrondorf » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:00 am

proline wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:03 am
heinzrondorf wrote:

You do realize there were actual move heroes on planes in WW2, right? That was Charles Lindbergh's job, among others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_L ... rld_War_II
Yes I do realise that but thanks for the history lesson. I am sure there were plenty of guys in WW2 who would have been considered spotting heroes in artillery units as well. Does not make them any more useful in a turn-based computer strategy game.

heinzrondorf
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by heinzrondorf » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:07 am

Ursulet wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:06 am
I am playing the Us Corps, i am mid 1943 and got 2 spotting heroes on a P-47 and that comes very handy, as i play it for the first time. Gives Real insight on the map.

I also got 2 3D heroes yesterday, in a row. On my mobile AA and a towed arty. :lol:
3D on artillery is not ideal but I like converting them into Wurfrahmen if its the first hero on an artillery unit. Then they have at least a tiny chance of protecting themselves compared to the regular Wurfrahmen.

Uhu

Post by Uhu » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:29 am

Also it can have less damages, if attacked from far. Or, if the player decides to upgrade it to Assault art., than it has some use. Still better than getting spotting, or ini. :)
heinzrondorf wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:07 am
Ursulet wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:06 am

3D on artillery is not ideal but I like converting them into Wurfrahmen if its the first hero on an artillery unit. Then they have at least a tiny chance of protecting themselves compared to the regular Wurfrahmen.

Ursulet

Post by Ursulet » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:33 am

You cant get initiative on an arty. Unless on at mode

Duedman
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Duedman » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:03 pm

Graphics on PC2 took me a long time to get used to. PC1 was so much better.
Also, small maps are bad. Battlefield Europe Mod was super awesome and is not possible with PC2

But encirclement system -as easy/cheesy as it is- reeeeeeeallly makes a difference
Giant Europe Mod 2.0 - Sea Lion 44 with no fuel:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=95886

PanzerCro
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by PanzerCro » Tue May 04, 2021 12:45 pm

kop101 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:44 pm
I'm glad to see this forum section more or less alive. What are your reasons for not jumping on the PzC2 bandwagon?
Because Panzer Corps is still very good game, and second my PC is too weak for PzC2 :)

Return to “Panzer Corps”