Tank Efficiency

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

oob_fan
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Tank Efficiency

Post by oob_fan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:22 am

Is there a discussion somewhere about how the "efficiency" mechanic works, especially for armor and artillery? Do tanks have to be stationary, out of combat, and not in contact with the enemy in order to recover, or do they have to be in a city?

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Tank Efficiency

Post by bru888 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:45 pm

Manual:
"Unlike strength, efficiency will automatically recover when a
unit doesn’t not move and is not involved in combat for at least
one full turn. It may take several turns for a 0 efficiency unit to
fully recover to the maximum efficiency level of 10."

For tanks, watch for the "unreliable" trait in a few of them. The efficiency feature works the same, but "unreliable" means that they lose efficiency at the drop of a hat (literally by moving, let alone combat).
- Bru

oob_fan

Post by oob_fan » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:07 am

Thanks - I get that - but there are several times when I've left tanks (and other units) stationary behind the lines and their efficiency doesn't seem to change at all. I wondered if terrain had any effect... maybe they can't recover in harsher areas?

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:55 am

I suspect that tanks need to stay in 'tank-friendly' terrain. i've had Panters spend several turns in difficult terrain (winter) without regaining efficiecny.

conboy
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by conboy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:57 pm

Erik, the Panthers and Sherman's in your nordwind scenario recover as expected, despite the winter.

conboy

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:04 pm

Maybe it was a Tiger in Norwind that stayed in the red. One of the Tiger types have an unreliable trait.

cutydt02
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by cutydt02 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:02 pm

With aircrafts, they just got lower than full efficiency without fully supplied or after taking off. They fully restore eff one turn after getting enough supplied, even after combat.

With ground forces, in one turn when units do nothing and nothing touches them, they restore 7 eff if fully supplied. Units reduce eff when taking serious damage, shock stats of attacker, lack of supply, landing from transport ship or moving through unsuitable terrain. All artilerry reduce 1 point eff after attacking, but if it reaches 5 eff, the next shot will drop eff to 3 (best time to rest). Some tanks have "unreliable" trait, like tiger H, panther D, KV1 m1940(?), that let them have 50% of reducing eff after moving or attacking (2 for moving, not depend on how far, and 1 for attacking ?). And tank takes slower negative effect when cutted from supply than infantry (? not so sure, but i believe that cut off a tank now is harder than about, 3 years ago ?)

oob_fan

Post by oob_fan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:07 am

Why isn't that in the manual....???

:)

stormbringer3
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by stormbringer3 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:55 pm

Cutydt02 mentions 5 eff and 3 eff and 3 eff being the best time to rest. Is 5 orange and 3 red?
Thanks.

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by GabeKnight » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:41 am

cutydt02 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:02 pm
artilerry reduce [...] eff after attacking, but if it reaches 5 eff, the next shot will drop eff to 3 (best time to rest).
Yeah, I do the same. As every turn restores 7 eff, it seems reasonable. Although the arty has higher "hitting power" when fired with higher efficiency.

cutydt02 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:02 pm
Some tanks have "unreliable" trait, like tiger H, panther D, KV1 m1940(?), that let them have 50% of reducing eff after moving or attacking (2 for moving, not depend on how far, and 1 for attacking ?).
:arrow:
Horst wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:38 pm
To summarize it:
- Unreliable units have a 50% chance to lose 2 efficiency points (20 calculated) when moving, no matter how far
- Unreliable units lose 1 additional efficiency point (10) when attacking or defending (modified by experience and combat results somehow)
(The "Unreliable" Truth)

MH72
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by MH72 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:00 pm

Would be nice to have the overrun trait from PC2 also for OoB please !!!

prestidigitation

Post by prestidigitation » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:00 am

MH72 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:00 pm
Would be nice to have the overrun trait from PC2 also for OoB please !!!
Absolutely not, the PzC2 traits and heroes are terrible and completely break an otherwise interesting beer and pretzels operational wargame. I had to disable the heroes and crank up the difficulty just to get it to a reasonably playable state and even with that I was using deadly grasp and the trait that boosts surrender income to generate absurd amounts of cash. I like how carefully thought out and well balanced OOB is and I hope the devs keep it that way.

cutydt02

Post by cutydt02 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:16 am

what ? you need inf have 15 strength point too ? Oh god, i never forget how i struggled to destroy a single KV1 in storm weather in PC2 (aircraft disable).
Tanks aren't strong in OoB ? Are u kidding ? In 1940 or sooner, yes, tank's power isnt shine well enough, but after that, while inf just can rank up gradually, tanks gots significant upgrade or even brand new unit
Or maybe in multiplayer but i have never played.
I like both game but i dont want too see their compelety broken fusion

Return to “Order of Battle Series”