Campaign: The Desert Rats (17 Scenarios)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

WookieeDavidson
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Campaign: The Desert Rats (17 Scenarios)

Post by WookieeDavidson »

hello everyone, its been a while since i have done any new campaign work.

But today I bring you my latest campaign project is based on the chronological combat diary of the 7th Armored Division "Desert Rats"

7th Armored was originally designated Mobile Division (Egypt) and formed in 1938, the unit was based in... yep Egypt it wasn't until 16th February 1940 when the Mobile Force was rebranded to an Armored Division formation and redesignated 7th Arrmored Division. The Division would be tasked with defending the Egyptian/Libyan border against the Italians and on the 10th June 1940 they would be involved in several border skirmishes. The biggest issue with 7th Armored Division by this point was that they only had 65 tanks out of the 220 that was assigned to them.

By this point the 7th Armored despite lacking armor was making a name for themselves. They successfully pushed the Italians back at Sidi Barrani and forced them to retreat to El Agheila, 7th Armored drove across the desert using trucks and a few Cruiser tanks and cut off the entire Italian army at Beda Fomm.

But after the destruction of the Italian 10th Army, the German Afrika Korps had arrived and pushed the Allies back, 7th Armored with a severe lack of functional tanks had to retreat, but June 1941 they were poised for Operation Battleaxe, but failed in lifting the siege of the coastal town of Tobruk. The Division would later take part in the Battle for El Alamein - the turning point for the North African Campaign.

After the Battle of El Alamein the 7th Armored was tasked with chasing the Afrika Corps all the way through Tunisia and after breaking through the Mareth line they helped the American forces and the German Afrika Korps surrendered. From there 7th Armored pushed across to Italy and in The Battle of Salerno they held the line and pushed to Naples.

The Italian Campaign was a grind it wasn't long however until 7th Armored would be plucked from Italy and sent to England to train for the largest seaborne invasion - D-Day... 7th Armored arrived on Gold Beach on 7th June 1944 and they were already tasked with dislodging the German forces from the city of Caen. However during Operation Perch, they had a stroke of luck; the US 1st Infantry Division (Big Red One) had discovered a gap in the German Lines near the village of Caumont. 7th Armored rushed through the gap and overrun the village of Villers-Bocage, where Tiger Tank Ace - Michael Wittmann was waiting in ambush.

After the Battle for Villers-Bocage, 7th Armored fell back and tried to maintain control around the village of Amaye-sur-Suelles, unbeknownst to them the Panzer-Lehr-Division had surrounded the 7th Armored and as they struggled for control the battle became known as the "Battle of the Brigade Box". 7th Armored was later pulled off the frontline and engaged in battles around Caen during Operation Goodwood, and later would return to Villers-Bocage during Operation Bluecoat. By this point the German counter attack at Mortain had failed causing the entire 7th Army to become surrounded in the Falaise Gap. 7th Armored delt with them and then pursued the remaining Germans across into Belgium. Liberating Belgium in September 1944 7th Armored did not participate in Operation Market Garden, but instead maintained a defensive line along the Meuse River. Even during the Battle of the Bulge 7th Armored would maintain the defensive position, and would later lead the charge during the Operation Blackcock - Dislodging the remaining Germans from the Allied side of the Roer River.

Later the 7th Armored would assist in the Crossing of the Rhine during Operation Plunder. Where the final leg of the journey would bring them to the city of Hamburg.

In total the 7th Armored Division fought from the 10th June 1940 till the 4th May 1945, 1790 days of combat, over 25,000 casualties and capturing over 100,00 Prisoners of War. The Desert Rats would be disbanded in the end, after the British Army reduced their army size in the 1950s. However the legend would live on as the 7th Armored Brigade under the 1st Armored Division.

Changelog:
  • Added more turns to the scenarios (average of 24 - 26 per scenario)
    Changed AI to Auxillery units under player control
    added more objectives to Operation Plunder scenario
Attachments
DesertRats2.0.rar
(365.49 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
Last edited by WookieeDavidson on Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ezequiel1996
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Campaign: The Desert Rats (17 Scenarios)

Post by Ezequiel1996 »

Great Campaign, i played the first scenario and completed it, so good so far!, the only issue is the italian infantry in the mountain objective, they glitch and dont attack your units that are trying to encircle them, i don't know if this is on purpose or not, but anyways great scenario!
jeannot le lapin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by jeannot le lapin »

Thank you, looks interesting,I will test :)
jeannot le lapin

Why do British units have a weird look in the purchase screen ? Other people have this problem ?

Capture d’écran (1828).jpg
Capture d’écran (1828).jpg (284.51 KiB) Viewed 6438 times
Stormchaser
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Stormchaser »

I've seen something like that on naval transports on occasion depending on the Camo used, and assumed that for whatever reasons some models don't like some camos.
Ezequiel1996

Post by Ezequiel1996 »

yep i have experienced the same issue on some maps
Ezequiel1996

Post by Ezequiel1996 »

Actually in scenario 3 and 4 you cant deploy your units, and in one of those wich i don't remember there's no deployment phase
WookieeDavidson
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Ezequiel1996 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:38 pm Actually in scenario 3 and 4 you cant deploy your units, and in one of those wich i don't remember there's no deployment phase
Scenario 4 - Operation BattleAxe has a deployment zone and several deployable areas on the right section of the map, the left section has just the supply zone, so you can either call in reserves slowly on the supply hex, or you can buy new units and call them in via the supply hex... atleast that's the theory.

Scenario 3 - Beda Fomm specifically has no deployment zone because technically your army has arrived yet, the actual battle for Beda Fomm the 7th Support Brigade were the first units to reach the area and engaged the Italian 10th Army, whereas the rest of 7th Armored later in the afternoon, i've tried to recreate this by having no deployment phase, and much like Scenario 4, you have 1 supply hex where you can call in your units.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

jeannot le lapin wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:31 am Why do British units have a weird look in the purchase screen ? Other people have this problem ?
I've not been able to reproduce this.

Could you give us some more specifics please.
Which camo is it? ( the tool tip name would be enough )
In which scenarios do you see this? Is it only user created content or official scenarios too?
Does the camo appear with time?
Is the camo also missing from the on-map view, the camo application panel, or the unit info bar at the bottom of the screen?

(much of the above I can derive from your screenshot but need confirmation )

Cheers,

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

jeannot le lapin

Patrick Ward wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:50 am
jeannot le lapin wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:31 am Why do British units have a weird look in the purchase screen ? Other people have this problem ?
I've not been able to reproduce this.

Could you give us some more specifics please.
Which camo is it? ( the tool tip name would be enough )
In which scenarios do you see this? Is it only user created content or official scenarios too?
Does the camo appear with time?
Is the camo also missing from the on-map view, the camo application panel, or the unit info bar at the bottom of the screen?

(much of the above I can derive from your screenshot but need confirmation )

Cheers,

Pat
This was just a test of the first scenario of this custom campaign.
This problem is only in the purchase screen.
No specific camo used.
Is this a bug due to the scenario editor?
jeannot le lapin

Same test with another computer, a fixed station this time, it’s the same :

Capture d’écran (673).jpg
Capture d’écran (673).jpg (258.25 KiB) Viewed 6347 times
GUNDOBALDO08
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 »

This campaign will be put in steam workshop ad Big red one?
WookieeDavidson
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

GUNDOBALDO08 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:44 pm This campaign will be put in steam workshop ad Big red one?
Big Red One is already on steam, and so will this one... i just hope people find some bugs before then, because i can't edit my workshop uploads when they are up
jeannot le lapin

I found the Bug (Unit skin) :

Capture d’écran (1845).jpg
Capture d’écran (1845).jpg (176.43 KiB) Viewed 6314 times

Correction (Unit skin = default):

Capture d’écran (1847).jpg
Capture d’écran (1847).jpg (179.98 KiB) Viewed 6314 times

Now everything looks good in the purchase screen :D

Capture d’écran (1846).jpg
Capture d’écran (1846).jpg (273.28 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

jeannot le lapin wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:41 pm I found the Bug (Unit skin) :

Its not really a bug .. you tried to give the vehicles the Desert Rats Infantry uniform. That's bound to cause problems. Most camo is type specific . . so aircraft, vehicles, ships, soldiers .. since they usually have unique Uv's and camo.
I imagine you're also seeing a similar issue with the Italians? Best give them default too. Saharan is a specific infantry type which are handled differently to everything else so they will get their correct costume even if you choose default.

ATM the editor doesn't filter the camo lists so you need to pick a default so all the various unit types are assigned correctly.

Can't say I know how to assign individual camo .. Kerensky is your man for that.

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

WookieeDavidson
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Patrick Ward wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:05 am

Its not really a bug .. you tried to give the vehicles the Desert Rats Infantry uniform. That's bound to cause problems. Most camo is type specific . . so aircraft, vehicles, ships, soldiers .. since they usually have unique Uv's and camo.
I imagine you're also seeing a similar issue with the Italians? Best give them default too. Saharan is a specific infantry type which are handled differently to everything else so they will get their correct costume even if you choose default.

ATM the editor doesn't filter the camo lists so you need to pick a default so all the various unit types are assigned correctly.

Can't say I know how to assign individual camo .. Kerensky is your man for that.

Pat
i could of assigned individual camo for the units, thought it'd be easier to assign the whole faction with a unit skin
kverdon
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kverdon »

I’d be interested In thoughts about getting past the 2nd scenario, Operation Compass. I am struggling because the Purple faction have totally rendered themselves ineffective as they become the Purple Pillbox Eaters. It ended in defeat. This seems totally impossible with the forces at hand. I have the base core with an added 25lber but with 26 points of deployable units, and the number of objective to achieve in 15 turns and an abysmal AI Allied faction, it seems unwinnable.

Ok, now I'm totally confused. Adding in a few extra turns I captured Sidi Berrani. Big deal. Just another objective. I still had to capture hill 90 to achieve the stated objectives. Next turn I captured the last Italian Supply Depot and I got a message that Sidi Berrani had surrendered and the scenario ended in Victory?? Huh???? I'd already captured it the turn before. It would appear that the objective of taking the Italian objective is rather Bogus and you just need to complete the other objective of capturing the supply depots and you get a victory.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Pat
If I understood the "Unit skin" feature in the Editor does not work properly currently and it is better not to touch it and keep the default setting ?

You should only use camo that can be applyed to all player units in that "Unit skin" feature ?

Capture d’écran (1855).jpg
Capture d’écran (1855).jpg (218.52 KiB) Viewed 6257 times
Last edited by terminator on Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Pat
I did not find the British Desert Rats 01 in the camo list ? Is it under a different name ?

Capture d’écran (1849).jpg
Capture d’écran (1849).jpg (492.29 KiB) Viewed 6263 times

Finally I found the British Desert Rats 01 camo, it is only available for the Infantry !

Capture d’écran (1857).jpg
Capture d’écran (1857).jpg (169.27 KiB) Viewed 6254 times
Attachments
Capture d’écran (1856).jpg
Capture d’écran (1856).jpg (174.63 KiB) Viewed 6255 times
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

It seems that it is not possible to individually change the Camouflage of a unit with the Editor :(

Capture d’écran (674).jpg
Capture d’écran (674).jpg (151.46 KiB) Viewed 6251 times

Return to “Panzer Corps 2 Scenario Design”