Grand Campaign 1939-1945 (Custom Campaign)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Garb
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Grand Campaign 1939-1945 (Custom Campaign)

Post by Garb »

Hi, I also appreciated the changes in Demyansk pocket. More enemies, but this time the AI allies come to your aid after breaking the encirclement on their side.
Resolute
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Resolute »

I noticed three empty message boxes:

Yakolevo - capturing Rzhavets
Kremenchug - aquiring Sepp Allerberger and also when having him assiged later on
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

@resolute

thx for letting us know. i couldn´t make out what might cause this on first glance. will take a better look when my current playthrough reaches there.

sers,
Thomas
Resolute

Post by Resolute »

Grondel wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:18 pm @resolute

thx for letting us know. i couldn´t make out what might cause this on first glance. will take a better look when my current playthrough reaches there.

sers,
Thomas
It did work before, not sure if an update broke it but then it's not really a big deal but nevertheless, thanks for looking into it.
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

current work, next patch and plan for next year:
i am currently finishing 1943NH. with next patch (around 19.Nov 22) 1943NH will have all scenarios set and can be played from start to end. save games from before that patch will end with Gorky. to play the full campaign u will have to start a new one.

the last scenarios of 39 got some polish and Eduard Dietl can be added to ur list of heroes during narvik if u save his unit.

since game developement is slower than expected, i will not move forward in time but do some reworking of 1939 and 1940.
planed so far:
- add supply and reserve hex to maps when appropriate to allow player to change troops during missions
- adjust missions accordingly
- 1939 and 1940 correct map allignement, this will require a complete redo of the maps
- due to what i learned about the editor and lua in the past years i can now recreate the autopassing from PC1, where not only the victory, but the way u won mattered. i want to rearrange the scenarios accordingly and put the system into place i succesfully tested in AC and 1943NH.
- create starting corps for each campaign
- when u find a cache mention what was in it in detail
if anyone with editor or LUA skills feels like helping let me know.

if u have any other requests let me know.

sers,
Thomas
Resolute

Post by Resolute »

Grondel wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:47 pm current work, next patch and plan for next year:
i am currently finishing 1943NH. with next patch (around 19.Nov 22) 1943NH will have all scenarios set and can be played from start to end. save games from before that patch will end with Gorky. to play the full campaign u will have to start a new one.

the last scenarios of 39 got some polish and Eduard Dietl can be added to ur list of heroes during narvik if u save his unit.

since game developement is slower than expected, i will not move forward in time but do some reworking of 1939 and 1940.
planed so far:
- add supply and reserve hex to maps when appropriate to allow player to change troops during missions
- adjust missions accordingly
- 1939 and 1940 correct map allignement, this will require a complete redo of the maps
- due to what i learned about the editor and lua in the past years i can now recreate the autopassing from PC1, where not only the victory, but the way u won mattered. i want to rearrange the scenarios accordingly and put the system into place i succesfully tested in AC and 1943NH.
- create starting corps for each campaign
- when u find a cache mention what was in it in detail
if anyone with editor or LUA skills feels like helping let me know.

if u have any other requests let me know.

sers,
Thomas
Thanks for the update and I am looking forward to the changes. I do have some thoughts about them though:

- I don't think a realignement of the maps is needed. I am sure most people who have played the mod are fine with the way the maps are.

Some map improvements i would like to see even it's not within the timeline you tackling:
- Streets of Moscow: There are a few units which remain passive throughout the map. Not sure when they got triggered but I am talking about the ones to the north, south-east and east. They never seem to move and I easily kill them off without getting attacked by them. I would change it so they start moving in around turn 10.

- Kremenchug: Moving over the river to get some shots on the art. units is not really viable. I'd rather see the AI units being moved to the north of the map as a starting point and then slowly pour south. That would allow the player to get some shots in on the art units and possibly retreat back as a fail-save afterwards. Right now, it is a very passive map. I just block the bridge engineers and then go in for the final hex at my last turn.

- Kiev1943: The map could do with some more variety since the player usually spents most of his time moving units to the front without that much fighting. On the original map you had to defend Kiew and fight off those nasty paratroopers and the push from the south.

I hope I am not too critical but pretty much all maps are really so well done, so big kudos for all the effort that went into that mod.
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

Resolute wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:49 pm Some map improvements i would like to see even it's not within the timeline you tackling:
- Streets of Moscow: There are a few units which remain passive throughout the map. Not sure when they got triggered but I am talking about the ones to the north, south-east and east. They never seem to move and I easily kill them off without getting attacked by them. I would change it so they start moving in around turn 10.
in the current version those units are activated on turn 24, if u reach them faster than that, they are prone.
I change that to proximity reaction instead while they wait for their turn. Let me know if this fixed it.
will be in the next patch.
Resolute wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:49 pm - Kremenchug: Moving over the river to get some shots on the art. units is not really viable. I'd rather see the AI units being moved to the north of the map as a starting point and then slowly pour south. That would allow the player to get some shots in on the art units and possibly retreat back as a fail-save afterwards. Right now, it is a very passive map. I just block the bridge engineers and then go in for the final hex at my last turn.

- Kiev1943: The map could do with some more variety since the player usually spents most of his time moving units to the front without that much fighting. On the original map you had to defend Kiew and fight off those nasty paratroopers and the push from the south.
I won´t be able to look at this in detail before next patch. i will keep it in mind and take a look next time i touch 43.
Resolute wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:49 pm I hope I am not too critical but pretty much all maps are really so well done, so big kudos for all the effort that went into that mod.
feedback is always welcome.

sers,
Thomas
Sequester Grundleplith, MD
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Sequester Grundleplith, MD »

Resolute wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:49 pm - Kremenchug: Moving over the river to get some shots on the art. units is not really viable. I'd rather see the AI units being moved to the north of the map as a starting point and then slowly pour south. That would allow the player to get some shots in on the art units and possibly retreat back as a fail-save afterwards. Right now, it is a very passive map. I just block the bridge engineers and then go in for the final hex at my last turn.
Huh, I play Kremenchug completely differently. Use Rudel and an ersatz-Rudel if I have the heroes available (DoubleA, Lightning, Ignores) to snipe the artillery, hold the line on the left, send a force across on the far right to hook, and post an ubertank with vigilance in the VH across the river in the middle. Then I gradually expand that bridgehead. It makes for a hectic and fun fight

@Grondel: are your plans to hold off on '44 & '45 until the devs finish the AO Easts?
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

Sequester Grundleplith, MD wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:39 pm @Grondel: are your plans to hold off on '44 & '45 until the devs finish the AO Easts?
At the moment we modders are barely able to implement new moddels. i think someone managed to do it, but its neither fun nor easy.
If i want to move ahead into 44/45, sea lion, valkyrie, etc. i need more units that are not in the game yet or have no decent modell.
we have been promised a modding kit helping with this some time ago. so i will wait either until the units/modells i want are in the game or we get that modding kit to do it ourself.

sers,
thomas
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

Grondel wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:59 pm
Sequester Grundleplith, MD wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:39 pm @Grondel: are your plans to hold off on '44 & '45 until the devs finish the AO Easts?
At the moment we modders are barely able to implement new moddels. i think someone managed to do it, but its neither fun nor easy.
"Grondel!"... you are very determined to stick & stay with a deliberate-driven mission-objective-completion 'task-mindset!... in mind'... like a 'Bull-Dog' determined to chomp off someone's leg!... and won't stop until it is done!, something that unfortunately is not in great abundance these days.

Seeing how long and how much effort that it takes to make these 'Campaigns'... i think that at some point if you so decide... that you could... at your discretion... project your skills-talents and services into this particular field someday... if it so suits you.

There is so-much 'Subject-Matter' in this vast realm... that could be covered... that hasn't yet been covered... and as well... as "improved upon"... to make these existing "Games" that have already been created or accomplished... even better such as for example being more 'Historically-Correct' and as well even more entertaining than they already are now.

Then!,,, perhaps... someday!... someone! is going to have to tackle this 'War-In-Ukraine' business!... and also possibly this near to occuring 'Tiawan-Business'... definetely... No easy task!... or tasks!, maybe it isn't even practical or possible to do any of it?... and to do it with justice!.
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

Comments on PanzerCorps1 Grand Campaign 1935-1945:

I've been playing 'Strategy-War-Games' for many years... so im not new to this business. In your Game i concluded or noticed that in the example of the 'Warsaw' scenario... that the 'Polish' forces are way-too-strong... and that usually they hit too hard... causing for the most part much more inflicted damage than my hard-core-elite-veterans do to them.

That's fine and dandy for someone who wants to play against the 'Invincible'... but!.. now to counteract that dilemma... i would if it were at all possible... like to have access to an adjustment tool of some sort to readjust or 'fine-tune' the military firepower capability of the opposing enemy forces... into something more realistic.

I quickly tire of unrealistic setups... there's no-point in spending the time and effort to play them... when the Game is heavily stacked against you.
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

Retributarr wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:18 pm In your Game i concluded or noticed that in the example of the 'Warsaw' scenario... that the 'Polish' forces are way-too-strong... and that usually they hit too hard... causing for the most part much more inflicted damage than my hard-core-elite-veterans do to them.
Since i don´t know the way u are playing, it is tough to say what is happening there for u.

When i play the Warsaw scenario from 1939 PC1-Grandcampaign Mod the only annoying and hard hitting enemy i can think of is the 30 str recon-car.

In general u just have to encircle the city and u have a duck hunt once u manage to get hold of the 2 supply hexes.
The little villages in the south of warsaw provide u with additional artillerie pieces for the siege.

If u can provide screenshots(i know u know now how to do that :D )i might be able to give u hints as to what might be going wrong.

sers,
Thomas
Resolute

Post by Resolute »

Grondel wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:29 pm
Retributarr wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:18 pm In your Game i concluded or noticed that in the example of the 'Warsaw' scenario... that the 'Polish' forces are way-too-strong... and that usually they hit too hard... causing for the most part much more inflicted damage than my hard-core-elite-veterans do to them.
Since i don´t know the way u are playing, it is tough to say what is happening there for u.

When i play the Warsaw scenario from 1939 PC1-Grandcampaign Mod the only annoying and hard hitting enemy i can think of is the 30 str recon-car.

In general u just have to encircle the city and u have a duck hunt once u manage to get hold of the 2 supply hexes.
The little villages in the south of warsaw provide u with additional artillerie pieces for the siege.

If u can provide screenshots(i know u know now how to do that :D )i might be able to give u hints as to what might be going wrong.

sers,
Thomas
You forgot the artillery unit in the south, I hate that more than the recon car ;) I also always go for encirclment and I think going for Warsaw South is a bit easer than North. I think patience is key here, slowly grind them down and get the first supply hex - after that is becomes a lot easier.
88Flak
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by 88Flak »

Thanks Grondel,

Just as a clarification, to be able to play the 43NH, will we have to begin a new campaign from 39? I have not been able to get the Kremenchug scenario to work in the historical campaign so I'm hoping the 43NH gives me a workaround.

Except for the changes you mentioned, are 39-42 basically staying the same?

I also agree that if it helps the workload, the current map alignment is fine.
88Flak

Post by 88Flak »

A couple of notes from my last play-through.

I see that you reduced the movement factors on several of the German Panzers. Panthers are now a 5, Panzer IVH is a 4 and Tigers are all the way down to a 3! What were your thoughts on doing this? Obviously, I liked the older version even though a movement factor of 5 for a Tiger was definitely too fast.

I also noticed that the Me410 and the HS129 plans can no longer base on a dirt airfield. Is this more historically accurate?

Thanks.
Sequester Grundleplith, MD

Post by Sequester Grundleplith, MD »

88Flak wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:32 pm A couple of notes from my last play-through.

I see that you reduced the movement factors on several of the German Panzers. Panthers are now a 5, Panzer IVH is a 4 and Tigers are all the way down to a 3! What were your thoughts on doing this? Obviously, I liked the older version even though a movement factor of 5 for a Tiger was definitely too fast.

I also noticed that the Me410 and the HS129 plans can no longer base on a dirt airfield. Is this more historically accurate?

Thanks.
It sound like you have the "Unit Toolbox" mod enabled, which might also explain your problem loading in scenarios like Kremenchug
88Flak

Post by 88Flak »

The only other mod installed is Storm over Europe.

Normally don't play on steam, but I loaded it and tried to start the Kremenchug and got an invalid scenario path '/Game/Campaign/GC1943/13Kremenchug/Kremenchug,map'.

Then I went onto steam and ran the file integrity check and said all files were successfully validated.
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

88Flak wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:22 pm ... and got an invalid scenario path '/Game/Campaign/GC1943/13Kremenchug/Kremenchug,map'.
i usually get this error when i forget to activate the mod in the mod manager. please check if the mod is activated.
88Flak wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:22 pm The only other mod installed is Storm over Europe.
Storm over Europe-Mod comes with the unit toolbox mod enabled. This does not go well with the PC1-GrandCampaign mod.
This explains the changes to the unit u describe as well. those changes come from the units-toolbox mod.

sers,
Thomas
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

88Flak wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:26 pm Just as a clarification, to be able to play the 43NH, will we have to begin a new campaign from 39?
no, each year is its own campaign, to play 1943NH u need a core from either 1942fic ending(u leave stalingrad) or AC-Caucasus ending.

only old savegames in 1943NH will not be able to continue past Gorky-scenario after the patch.

if u start a fresh 1943NH-campaign all is fine.
88Flak wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:26 pm Except for the changes you mentioned, are 39-42 basically staying the same?
in general, yes. there will always be minor fixes or adjustments depending on the evolvment of the base game. e.q. i will rework all scenarios with sea-units after pacific release since sea-battles will receive lots of changes from what i could datamine so far.
88Flak

Post by 88Flak »

Thanks Grondel,

The mod is activated.

I deactivated the Storm Over Europe-Mod, but it didn't make a difference. Do I need to do something additional to make sure the toolbox mod is disabled or is it something simple like rebooting my system?

Return to “Panzer Corps 2 Scenario Design”