Grand Campaign 1939-1945 (Custom Campaign)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Grand Campaign 1939-1945 (Custom Campaign)

Post by Grondel »

tvautd wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:33 pm Any tips for the Tunisian Bridgehead, I think is the final mission for the Historical Afrika Corps? I just cant resist more than a few turns, Allies have a hundred units and I cant seem to do anything to stop them. I`m not expecting a fair fight but come on...
ur discription is a bit to vague to give a detailed answer.
if u can discribe more clearly what is happeining to u we might be able to point the right direction.

sers,
Thomas
DefiantXYX
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by DefiantXYX »

Is it the mission where you got 2 optionals like "defend left flank until round 7" and "defend right flank until rount 9"?

If yes, I also played this mission recently. But well, I stopped playing it, was no fun at all. Too many allied forces advancing on all fronts, you cant go with your fighters anywhere, you will be attacked by 5-6 enemies + this ridiculous strong anti-air vehicles, until you lose all your planes. The AI seems to use maphack, its always attacking your artillery and vulnerable stuff. And somehow you lose, because an enemy infantry truck is running over the whole map and takes on harbour. game over.

If you really want to play it go back as far as you can, dont try to hold the frontlines. Get in position in front of the main objectives and support your tanks with anti-tanks, artillery and stuff. Put your fighters in a position, so that only 1-2 enemy fighters cant attack you by building a shield with bombers.
tvautd
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by tvautd »

Yeah that's the mission. Is pretty much impossible for me to defend both sides of the river for more than a couple of turn so now I'm just trying to defend the port and just that with all the units bunched up so that AA can provide cover but even that seems too hard. I can post a screenshot later this evening.

The previous mission was hard also but at least there had some fortification to defend and the attack came in waves. In this mission 100 or so allied troops and 40 aircrafts attack all at once, it's ridiculously overpowered.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2930799092
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2930799125
Sequester Grundleplith, MD
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Sequester Grundleplith, MD »

I was randomly trying to think of how the devs might do AO 1945, which made me think of what I still thought was missing from AO1944 Historical: the real feeling that youre not just losing, but being overwhelmed.

This made me try to think of what I wouldve done differently-- I dont know what your plans are for '44, if youre going to stick strictly to how it was done in PC1, but if not here are a couple ideas I had (not sure how practical any of this would be from lua standpoint):

1) the core gets broken up into smaller, simultaneous battles. I dont know if this would be possible with current scripting, but if you've played the Taman Warriors campaign mod, the first few battles did a very good job of making you feel like you couldnt just wipe the map; your small force really had to sneak around and escape. This would work well for the vibe of 1944: your force is being encircled and you lose cohesion, each smaller force has to fight its way to some rally point, and this would be reinforced by short turn limits and high numbers of enemies, such that you couldnt just use your OP core to wipe the map.
To implement this maybe your force would have to split to 2-4 exit zones in the "breakthrough" scenario, and then the following 2-4 scenarios would be those separate groups trying to fight through the kesselschlacht to a rally point

2)most of the core loses its equipment. this would take advantage of the limited stock mechanic and upgrade hexes. In the first scenario you send part of your core to one exit area-- this smaller part keeps its current equipment. The second, larger core goes to a separate exit area, and when they move onto the exit tiles, they get "upgraded" to trucks, representing them having to throw away all their equipment from lack of fuel/ammo/repair parts in a hurried withdrawal.
The next scenario you can upgrade some/all of the trucks back to fighting troops, but you are now limited by what limited stock is available. Either that, or you have to use the still equipped core force to protect the trucks, and the trucks can upgrade in the scenario when they reach either supply tiles or upgrade tiles, where they are scripted to upgrade back to certain units (a motley mix, to represent them finding whatever equipment is available)

anyway, just random thoughts rattling around my head that I felt compelled to type out. thanks again for your work on this excellent mod
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

Sequester Grundleplith, MD wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:40 pm I was randomly trying to think of how the devs might do AO 1945, which made me think of what I still thought was missing from AO1944 Historical: the real feeling that youre not just losing, but being overwhelmed.

This made me try to think of what I wouldve done differently-- I dont know what your plans are for '44, if youre going to stick strictly to how it was done in PC1, but if not here are a couple ideas I had (not sure how practical any of this would be from lua standpoint):

1) the core gets broken up into smaller, simultaneous battles. I dont know if this would be possible with current scripting, but if you've played the Taman Warriors campaign mod, the first few battles did a very good job of making you feel like you couldnt just wipe the map; your small force really had to sneak around and escape. This would work well for the vibe of 1944: your force is being encircled and you lose cohesion, each smaller force has to fight its way to some rally point, and this would be reinforced by short turn limits and high numbers of enemies, such that you couldnt just use your OP core to wipe the map.
To implement this maybe your force would have to split to 2-4 exit zones in the "breakthrough" scenario, and then the following 2-4 scenarios would be those separate groups trying to fight through the kesselschlacht to a rally point
sadly only one core-force can exist. i currently have no way (practible) to seperate/remove units from the core and return them laters, but i am experimenting on this
Sequester Grundleplith, MD wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:40 pm 2)most of the core loses its equipment. this would take advantage of the limited stock mechanic and upgrade hexes. In the first scenario you send part of your core to one exit area-- this smaller part keeps its current equipment. The second, larger core goes to a separate exit area, and when they move onto the exit tiles, they get "upgraded" to trucks, representing them having to throw away all their equipment from lack of fuel/ammo/repair parts in a hurried withdrawal.
The next scenario you can upgrade some/all of the trucks back to fighting troops, but you are now limited by what limited stock is available. Either that, or you have to use the still equipped core force to protect the trucks, and the trucks can upgrade in the scenario when they reach either supply tiles or upgrade tiles, where they are scripted to upgrade back to certain units (a motley mix, to represent them finding whatever equipment is available)

anyway, just random thoughts rattling around my head that I felt compelled to type out. thanks again for your work on this excellent mod
this sounds like something that can be done.

thx for ur input.

sers,
Thomas

Grondel wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:52 pm
Sequester Grundleplith, MD wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:40 pm I was randomly trying to think of how the devs might do AO 1945, which made me think of what I still thought was missing from AO1944 Historical: the real feeling that youre not just losing, but being overwhelmed.

sadly only one core-force can exist. i currently have no way (practible) to seperate/remove units from the core and return them laters, but i am experimenting on this

Thinking about it, a way you could hack it to have a somewhat similar feel would be to have a big map, divided into 2-3 zones with the impenetrable terrain tiles separating them (the tiles in a number of first AO scenarios where you cant even fly between them), and then have a limited number of deployment tiles in each zone. So each small force is essentially running its own independent scenario within the larger scenario
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

update: 25-03-2023

please use this link until first post is updated.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/98v1v1in ... 3.zip/file

Updatenotes:
Units:
Heavy weapon infantry traits MachineGun + FerociousDefense
New Heavy infantrie transport class for SdKfz 250/251.Heavy infa include Pioneer and Grenadiers
new transport plane Ju390 created (not used yet, just preperations for Sea Lion)
wehrinfantrie 2 coreslots

added reserve hex and deploy hexes to most scenarios

Sumy-training
added azul upgrade positions

1943NH
t1Novorossiysk
Karl Gerät can be repaired in the depot

Maikop43
reserve script added

Rostov43
reserve script added
prestige cost for tanks raised

Elista43
reserve script added

Volga43
reserve script added
Volga can no longer be crossed without bridges
some Nightwitches added

Stalingrad43
reserve script added

Voronezh43
prestige cost for Me262 raised

Moscow
scenario redone to remove DLC lock. i cannot test this. someone who doesn't own AO1941 please let me know if this worked.

operation avalanche
German HQ changed to small village to enable support hex for unit placement
schlepple script working and foolproofed (hopefully)

sicily
raised turnlimit to 20
objective messages sorted

southern france
trains and airtransports removed

operation hinterhalt
allied seeunits added
respawn script added
map redone to remove DLC lock, i can't test this. someone who does not own AO43 please let me know if this worked

sers,
Thomas
wecker
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by wecker »

Hello,

I just played GC 1942 and finnished Novoanninsky sucessfully. I can save the game but the game crashes when I klick on continue.

I get the following error message:

LoginId:d12e93164621645836c55b81afe9ff26
EpicAccountId:0764967e02e949359c696f5f5947d088

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000530

PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!AUnitActor::AssembleBody() [C:\Projects\PanzerCorps2\SVN\trunk\Source\Unit\UnitActor.cpp:291]
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!AUnitActor::SetWorld() [C:\Projects\PanzerCorps2\SVN\trunk\Source\Unit\UnitActor.cpp:145]
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!GameState::AddUnit() [C:\Projects\PanzerCorps2\SVN\trunk\Source\GameCore\GameState.cpp:178]
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!GameEngine::LoadUnits() [C:\Projects\PanzerCorps2\SVN\trunk\Source\PanzerCorps2\GameEngine.cpp:144]
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!GameState::xproperty_units_meta::Access::Move() [C:\Projects\PanzerCorps2\SVN\trunk\Source\GameCore\GameState.h:55]
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!BinMetaData::Read<GameState,std::unordered_map<int,unique<Unit,std::default_delete<Unit> >,std::hash<int>,std::equal_to<int>,std::allocator<std::pair<int const ,unique<Unit,std::default_delete<Unit> > > > > >() [C:\Projects\PanzerCorps2\SVN\trunk\Source\Common\BinSerializer.h:708]
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!BinSerializer<GameEngine,void *>::Read() [C:\Projects\PanzerCorps2\SVN\trunk\Source\Common\BinSerializer.h:564]
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!GameEngine::StartGame() [C:\Projects\PanzerCorps2\SVN\trunk\Source\PanzerCorps2\GameEngine.cpp:535]
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!``UEGameInstance::PlayScenario'::`2'::<lambda_1>::operator()'::`2'::<lambda_1>::operator()() [C:\Projects\PanzerCorps2\SVN\trunk\Source\PanzerCorps2\UEGameInstance.cpp:263]
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!AGame::Initialize() [C:\Projects\PanzerCorps2\SVN\trunk\Source\PanzerCorps2\Game.cpp:80]
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!TBaseFunctorDelegateInstance<void __cdecl(UWorld *,UWorld::InitializationValues),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy,`AGame::Serialize'::`11'::<lambda_1> >::ExecuteIfSafe() [C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.26\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:838]
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!UWorld::InitWorld()
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!UEngine::LoadMap()
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!UEngine::Browse()
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!UEngine::TickWorldTravel()
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!UGameEngine::Tick()
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!FEngineLoop::Tick()
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!GuardedMain()
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!GuardedMainWrapper()
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!WinMain()
PanzerCorps2_Win64_Shipping!__scrt_common_main_seh() [d:\a01\_work\12\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll

What can I do?

I got the newest update from today via Steam Workshop...
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

wecker wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:36 pm Hello,
I just played GC 1942 and finnished Novoanninsky sucessfully. I can save the game but the game crashes when I klick on continue.
i asume u are using an old savegame. i do not have the tools necessary to deciver the error message but judging by what i can see u have a "faulty" unit in ur core. this often happens when u turn of mods u previously had turned on.
sadly any unit changes from an active mod will influence anything u play.
If u cannot remember the mods u had active when last playing that campaign all u can do is restart the 1942 campaign.

to avoid this issue in the future u can make sure that only one mod is active when u play or note down the mods active at the bottom of the savegame.

sers,
Thomas
wecker

Post by wecker »

Hi THomas,

thank you you for your fast answer.

I usually play with only one mod active (due to bad experience with the Unit mod) and it is "your" mod I played.

I only thought it might be because of the new update.

Anyway - thank you - then I will start 1942 new - no problem :D

Haven't played since the update, but it might be the change in halftrack availability for different infantry units?
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

Sequester Grundleplith, MD wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:04 pm Haven't played since the update, but it might be the change in halftrack availability for different infantry units?
nope, tested that one. only issue i found was with StuGIIIb, but that should be a very rare issue.

sers,
Thomas
wecker

Post by wecker »

Grondel wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:32 am by Grondel » 27 Mar 2023 00:32

Sequester Grundleplith, MD wrote: ↑26 Mar 2023 19:04
Haven't played since the update, but it might be the change in halftrack availability for different infantry units?
nope, tested that one. only issue i found was with StuGIIIb, but that should be a very rare issue.

sers,
Thomas
Ups - I got a lovely StuG III B unit with OP and 4 heroes (Double attack - hehe).

What is the matter with the StuG III B?

Another colleague receives the same error when loading the next scenario.

User Athanatos posted his crash also in the Tech Support thread:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111635

So i am not alone at last...
Athanatos
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Athanatos »

Grondel wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:07 pm
wecker wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:36 pm Hello,
i asume u are using an old savegame. i do not have the tools necessary to deciver the error message but judging by what i can see u have a "faulty" unit in ur core. this often happens when u turn of mods u previously had turned on.
sadly any unit changes from an active mod will influence anything u play.
If u cannot remember the mods u had active when last playing that campaign all u can do is restart the 1942 campaign.

to avoid this issue in the future u can make sure that only one mod is active when u play or note down the mods active at the bottom of the savegame.

sers,
Thomas
Hello Thomas,
I'm the one getting the exact same error.
I now believe that the error is related to the update of your mod (GrandCampaign PC1), since the error occurred exactly with the update on 03/25/2023. [By the way: Thanks for the great mod. :) ]
As a result, I had to play the entire campaign all over again, which was almost complete. Is there a possibility that I could go back to the earlier mod version from 01/18/2023?
Of course, deactivating the mod doesn't bring any improvement, since the savegames of the campaign were created with it.

Regards
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

Athanatos wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:41 pm Hello Thomas,
I now believe that the error is related to the update of your mod (GrandCampaign PC1), since the error occurred exactly with the update on 03/25/2023. [By the way: Thanks for the great mod. :) ]
As a result, I had to play the entire campaign all over again, which was almost complete. Is there a possibility that I could go back to the earlier mod version from 01/18/2023?
Of course, deactivating the mod doesn't bring any improvement, since the savegames of the campaign were created with it.

Regards
If its the StuGIIb problem the mod had, just get rid of all StuGIIIb by switching to a different unit before finishing the scenario. If u are playing with limited stock, same for the stocked units.
After doing this at the end of a scenario once the error will no longer occur and u can use StuGIIIb again.

sers,
Thomas
Athanatos
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Athanatos »

Grondel wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:05 pm
Athanatos wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:41 pm Hello Thomas,

Regards
If its the StuGIIb problem the mod had, just get rid of all StuGIIIb by switching to a different unit before finishing the scenario. If u are playing with limited stock, same for the stocked units.
After doing this at the end of a scenario once the error will no longer occur and u can use StuGIIIb again.

sers,
Thomas
This is exactly what caused the problem. Thank you very much!
wecker

Post by wecker »

Hello,

returning to my problem with the StuG III B because no offered solution did work for me.

Problem seems to be that I make a save game at the end of the scenario after the last turn.

So a "setany round x" and then going to an "upgrade hex" doesn`t work for me.

It seems that I only can restart the 1941 campaign - was this result really intended?

... :cry:
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

wecker wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:37 pm Problem seems to be that I make a save game at the end of the scenario after the last turn.

So a "setany round x" and then going to an "upgrade hex" doesn`t work for me.
of course it does^^ thats the whole point of setany round x. if u can load the scenario do "setany round 1" and u have a whole lot of turns to get to a supply hex.

sers,
Thomas
wecker

Post by wecker »

Grondel wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:45 pm of course it does^^ thats the whole point of setany round x. if u can load the scenario do "setany round 1" and u have a whole lot of turns to get to a supply hex.
Sorry - it seems that I am too stupid to do that.

How can I upload the save here?

After "setany round 35" I see the on the screeen 35/25. So far so good, but when I continue the game goes to the Main menu - i.e. I won the campaign and end...

Thank you
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

wecker wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:35 pm Sorry - it seems that I am too stupid to do that.
i´ll think for now this is true and u are not trying to troll me. please follow this guide:

1. Load the scenario
2. open the chat console (default key is 1)
3. enter "setany round 1", u will see 1/25 onthe top left of the screen (turn counter)
4. move the StuGIIIb´s to a supply hex and switch to another unit.

sers,
Thomas

Return to “Panzer Corps 2 Scenario Design”