Trouble in Batan defense

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Epperaliant
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Trouble in Batan defense

Post by Epperaliant » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:32 pm

Yeah, I know, it's silly.
Maybe it's pride, or just ocd kicking in.

prestidigitation
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by prestidigitation » Mon May 10, 2021 7:43 pm

Speaking specifically to this scenario on max difficulty, you're wasting RP if you're not letting the fort absorb some attacks and get destroyed. Your core sticks around, the fort doesn't. I typically just blow the bridges and pull back to the gold objectives as fast as possible after hitting the hold timer for the silver objective. Time wasted by the AI crossing the river is time spent not costing me RP.

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by GabeKnight » Tue May 11, 2021 10:37 am

True.

But there's really no need hoarding cash in the early DLC campaigns IMO. You'll get more than enough income during the scens to buy new units, upgrade or whatever you want.

Personally I'm a sucker for having high experience on my units. And how should they get it if not by fighting...? :lol:

Epperaliant
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Epperaliant » Tue May 11, 2021 9:16 pm

I finished the campaign on IV difficulty,right now I started Morning Sun.

In retrospective, it was wierd that the hardest missions were the 2nd and the 3rd. Both were very unforgiving compared to the rest of the campaign. Heck, Midway was a cakewalk, Okinawa I finished with more than half turns to spare and Tokyo was just easy.

Probably I could easily do Bataan at V difficulty now, but I feel that 13 enemy strength upsets too much the unit's balance and makes AI excessively aggressive.
12 looks fine for now.

TheFilthyCasual
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TheFilthyCasual » Thu May 13, 2021 5:06 pm

The key to holding out in Bataan, I believe, is to not buy any units whatsoever.

They give you ample command points, but since you have no resource income, if you spend your existing resources on deploying the most units you can, you won't be able to take many losses.

The last time I played it, I had (from the previous mission) 2 Tanks, 2 Marines, and 2 37mm AA guns. I placed all of them on the right side, since that is where all the primary objectives are, and left the left side to the auxilliary units. I kept one AA gun as an AA to keep planes away, and set the other to AT mode and kept it behind the Marines. 4 units isn't enough to hold the river but it is absolutely enough to hold the next river back. Every time one of the two units holding the bridge over the river gets thrown back, you send in one of your others to plug the gap, and just keep rotating them. I managed to hold that position to the very end, even as all the Filipinos and Aux units on the left flank were killed.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”