Forming square in the woods

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
ulysisgrunt
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Forming square in the woods

Post by ulysisgrunt » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:06 am

I'm fighting a game against an opponent who has a Scottish army. He was able to form square in the woods with spearmen...
Is this possible, or are we dealing with a bug in the program?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Forming square in the woods

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:24 am

There is no code to prevent it.

I don't really see an issue with a unit forming a Severely Disordered square in a wood. (Or, I suppose, Disordered, if Medium Foot Picts/Scots)
Richard Bodley Scott

Cronos09
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Cronos09 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:18 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:24 am

I don't really see an issue with a unit forming a Severely Disordered square in a wood. (Or, I suppose, Disordered, if Medium Foot Picts/Scots)
Why don't you use this script condition
if(IsOpen(meX,meY) == 1) && (IsTileEdgeDefendibleObstacle(meX, meY, x2, y2) == -1) in FUNCTION CHECK_ALL_FORMSQUARE(me, tilex, tiley)?
I think it would look more realistic in this case (impossible to form a square on rough ground, in the woods, marshes, behind fortifications, etc.)

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:11 am

Cronos09 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:18 pm
rbodleyscott wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:24 am

Why don't you use this script condition
if(IsOpen(meX,meY) == 1) && (IsTileEdgeDefendibleObstacle(meX, meY, x2, y2) == -1) in FUNCTION CHECK_ALL_FORMSQUARE(me, tilex, tiley)?
I think it would look more realistic in this case (impossible to form a square on rough ground, in the woods, marshes, behind fortifications, etc.)
Obviously it is not a coding issue, it would indeed be simple to code if I thought it was necessary.
Richard Bodley Scott

ray552
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ray552 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:24 pm

If the soldiers have received enough training to be able to form square in open terrain, why wouldn't they be able to do so in rough terrain, woods, or anywhere else?

Unless it was so dark they couldn't see what they were doing :-)

As already mentioned, the square would still be moderately or severely disordered.

Just my opinion.

Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cunningcairn » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:36 am

ray552 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:24 pm
If the soldiers have received enough training to be able to form square in open terrain, why wouldn't they be able to do so in rough terrain, woods, or anywhere else?

Unless it was so dark they couldn't see what they were doing :-)

As already mentioned, the square would still be moderately or severely disordered.

Just my opinion.
A square is a defensive close formation meant to protect troops that have no physical structures to assist them. Troops would not form or be trained to form any close formation in terrain such as woods. If they were trained to fight in woods it would not ne necessary to form square anyway. It makes no sense to allow them to form square in difficult going.

Return to “Field of Glory II”