Historical Unit Composition

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Khancotlette
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Historical Unit Composition

Post by Khancotlette »

INDEX OF ALL HISTORICAL PzC 2 UNIT TEMPLATES COULD BE FOUND HERE

Hi all!

Is anyone here interested in some historically-accurate unit templates for PzC 2? Like creating historically-plausible divisions and their strength for the scenarios? If there are such guys, I could provide some historical data regarding it and also, of course, I'm open to all additions, corrections and remarks from your side!

Before I begin, I should say a few words about the method I'm using. In my opinion, Panzer Corps II is best suitable to represent operative level battles with a total number of units on one side up to one army corps (2—6 divisions). The game is even named Panzer CORPS, after all, right? :) One hex on the map, then, should represent an area about 10—20 km depending on the map size and objectives. The hex size is determined by a territory that one regiment could roughly defend in frontal combat.

Why so? Well, I think this scale is representative enough, and that's basically a level which allows to use most of PzC 2 units. The higher (strategical) level couldn't be really represented by the game, because in this case it means that we take an "army" or "army group" scale, with one "unit" being a division. It leads to use of only infantry and tanks (almost), because there were no recon divisions, anti-tank divisions or engineer divisions (not mentioning some crazy Soviet experiments). Artillery divisions existed, but, again, it would be very weird to represent them with a single gun unit, and artillery divisions were very rare, most of WW2 artillery operated in brigades or regiments. And is it really correct to represent a whole tank division with one tank? Which type and why? It means there would never be any Tigers on the map, since there were no "only heavy tank" divisions historically, or even if they did existed, they were very rare. And so on, and so forth. Tactical level (with much smaller forces under your command) could be represented a bit better, but I think that PzC 2 hex terrain system actually means larger areas and distances. There is no way for a single tank or tank company to take a town, for example, while one hex in the game represents it.

So, it's operative level, then.

Basically it means that one full-strength unit (15 for infantry, 10 for everyone else) in the game should represent a regiment. Over-strength unit (20 for infantry, 15 for everyone else) could be a strengthened regiment or a core of a brigade (like a brigade without any divisional assets). The other level of units to be represented should be battalion — 10 strength for infantry and 7 strength for everyone else. Why 7? Well, I think in order to provide at least some fighting capability to these units. 5 makes them totally useless. For aviation it means that a full-strength (10) unit represents roughly 20—50 planes (like Soviet air regiment, British air wing, German Geschwader), while a weaker (7) unit counts as 10—20 planes (Soviet and British squadron, German Staffel).

The only problem with this system and hex size is artillery fire and airplanes distance, which, of course, doesn't even roughly correspond with reality, but I guess that's the necessary sacrifice to be done. It's a game, after all.

I should say, that this system and method are only my personal choices, but I honestly see no better way to represent historically-accurate units on Panzer Corps II base. I also should mention, that unfortunately not all base games scenarios are well optimized for this system, some of them are strategical and some are tactical. Most of them, however, are still operational-level and fit quite good. The method I'm proposing and the unit templates I'd like to present are more for your own custom scenarios and campaigns, if you want to make them as historically accurate as possible.

So, if you are interested in these templates, I would be very happy to post updates with the results of my researchs and calculations :)

And to begin with, some classics — early war (1939—1940) German "1st wave" infantry division. Not much to say, it should be perfectly familiar to you. 3 infantry regiments, 1 artillery regiment, 1 engineer battalion, 1 anti-tank battalion, 1 recon battalion (we would take German terms of Bataillon and Abteilung as the same). So what I decided to take for Panzer Corps II in this case?

GERMANY
Early War (1939—1940) Infantry Division Template

German Infantry Division. Poland, Autumn 1939

Of course, Infantry Regiments should be Wehr Infanterie. However, I took only 2 of them, making one of the regiments Grenadier. Why? Because I think that's a good way to represent infantry heavy weapons like MGs, mortars, light guns and so on, and it also makes the division look more diverse. So, 2 Wehr Infanterie, 1 Grenadier, strength 15.

Artillery Regiment. It consisted of different guns, but for a single unit, I think, 10,5 cm light howitzer is the best choice. The regiment had also a few of 15 cm howitzers, but there weren't much of them, and, I guess, in PzC 2 they should be represented by some kind of higher-level artillery, like corps artillery regiment and brigades. Then, 10-strength 10,5 cm leFH 18 and a Wagon, because 1939 German infantry was quite poorly motorized.

Anti-Tank Battalion (strength 7) is correctly represented by 3.7 cm PaK 36 gun. And I think it's the right thing to give them Opel Blitz, since AT battalion was the most motorized part of the division, fit specially to move fast in order to compete with enemy tanks.

Sapper Battalion (strength 10 since it's infantry) is, of course, Pioniere. I don't know if it would be a right thing to give them an Opel as well to represent divisional supply trucks and so on. In my opinion, that's not necessary.

And, last but not the least, the Recon Battalion. I've finally decided to make them a unit of Kavallerie with the strength of 10, since most of German field recon by 1939 was still on horse. It could be, however, the famous SdKfz 222 for some units, but I guess in general it would be better to keep it for a later, circa 1941, division. There weren'tmany cavalry units in the German army, after all, and this recon detachment is a good opportunity to give them some field in the early game. By 1940 the motorcycle units of Kradschützen would be great as well.

TEMPLATE TOTALS
2 x Wehr Infanterie, 1 x Grenadier;
1 x Pioniere (strength 10);
1 x 10,5 cm leFH 18 + Wagon;
1 x 3,7 cm PaK 36 + Opel Blitz (strength 7);
1 x Kavallerie (strength 10).

The whole template costs 20 core slots and 1360 prestige (or 19 slots, with 1220 (motorcyclists)/1210 (SdKfz 222) prestige for the recon battalion).

Reserve divisions (3rd and 4th wave ones) could be represented by having no heavy infantry, and of course, with less experience stars per unit.

That should be all for now! If you liked it and interested in more, I would continue posting my visions of the historical units for Panzer Corps II! :)
Last edited by Khancotlette on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:08 am, edited 11 times in total.
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Historical Unit Composition

Post by Retributarr »

To the "Sound of the Guns we go!":
I see that you have your "Special-High-Intensity-Training"... under your belt "Professor"... perhaps 'Kerensky' could take a closer look at your idea's!.

"I'm impressed!"... even if other's might not be.
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

Hah, guess I should take it as a compliment :D Thanks!
jeannot le lapin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by jeannot le lapin »

No transport for Sapper Battalion and Heavy Infantry ?
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

jeannot le lapin wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:20 pm No transport for Sapper Battalion ?
Yeah, I've mentioned that they could probably have it, representing divisional supply cars and stuff, but I guess that would be kinda weird if main combat units (2 infantry and 1 grenadier) walk on foot, while their supporting engineers would drive in front of them :) Regarding Heavy Infantry — no, since these guys are not Panzer Grenadier, they are just a way to show that infantry division has some heavy weapons in its foot ranks.
Last edited by Khancotlette on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexasJaeger
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by TexasJaeger »

I do the same thing! I started doing this in PC1. I always try and create/organize my force into divisions that I carry over from scenario to scenario in which I task them to various objectives. I tend to have an infantry division similar to the one you have, two panzer divisions, and then several detached units. I rename all of my units and correspond them to their assigned division: for example, Inf. Rgt. 103/15 meaning 103rd Inf. Rgt. 15th Inf. Div. I try and form historical divisions and maintain their accurate unit designations but it doesn't always work out. I find that doing this and forming "divisions" makes the game richer and more engaging.

Infanterie Division:
Three Inf. Rgts.
One Artillerie Abt. 105mm
One Panzerabwher Abt. Pak
Flak Abt.

Panzer Division
Two Panzer Rgts.
One Artillerie Abt. Either truck mobile guns, self-propelled, or nebelwerfers.
One Grenadier Rgt.
One Pioneer Abt.
One Aufk. Abt (Recon)
Flak Abt.

Detachments:
Cavalry Rgt.
Fallschrimjagers & Gebirgsjager Rgts.
Luftwaffe Support
The Azul Infanterie unit that is granted in the 1939 campaign I designate as an SS motorized Inf. Rgt.
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

Oh, that's great! Good to know I'm not the only one to see the things that way :) I'm going to post 1941 German infantry division tomorrow, if everything is going to be alright.
GUNDOBALDO08
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 »

Me too I always play trying to form complete divisions, giving each unit the historically correct name. I find it hugely more engaging. Ultimately therefore my whole army is composed of units framed in divisions. I usually also invent the army general's HQ unit using an sdkw222 or other scout car. The problem, however, are the enemy units, I wrote more than once on the forum that I would very much like the developers to attribute the real historical names of the enemy units, but unfortunately for now we have only seen a hint of them in the African scenarios of the campaign vanilla version.
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

It turned out a bit quicker, than I expected.

So :)

GERMANY
Mid-War (1941—1943) Infantry Division Template

German Infantry Division. Russia, Summer 1941

Not much actually changed since 1939 here, so I'm suggesting just a few minor tweaks for the basic template above. Most of the division stays the same.

The Artillery Regiment could finally receive its Opel Blitz instead of a Wagon. That wasn't that common in most infantry divisions even by 1941, but I think that PzC 2 is mostly a tank-centered game and the player could make his artillery a bit faster. Let's just pretend that your in-game division is top brass of the Wehrmacht, which gets everything first.

Anti-Tank Battalion may also switch to a newer PaK 38 5 cm gun, just keep in mind that they weren't much common during the first years of the mid-war period, appearing in the ranks only by mid-1941.

And the Recon Battalion would be re-equipped with SdKfz 222 (which was my initial plan for 1939 template, but I've changed my mind). By that moment they become much more common in frontline German infantry units, so cavalry/motorcycle recon for 1939—1940 and SdKfz recon for 1941—1943 would be a plausible and balanced compromise. Strength 7, since that's a battalion.

TEMPLATE TOTALS
2 x Wehr Infanterie, 1 x Grenadier;
1 x 10,5 cm leFH 18 + Opel Blitz;
1 x 5 cm PaK 38 + Opel Blitz (strength 7);
1 x SdKfz 222 (strength 7).

The whole template costs 20 core slots and 1310 prestige. So 1941 division is generally cheaper than 1939 one, which would be quite handy for bloody and costly Russian combats. It will serve you well for the most of the game, just don't forget to upgrade all infantry units to 1943 version when the time comes :)

Thanks for your attention! Eager to hear your comments :) Stay tuned for more!
Last edited by Khancotlette on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

GUNDOBALDO08 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:20 pm Me too I always play trying to form complete divisions, giving each unit the historically correct name. I find it hugely more engaging. Ultimately therefore my whole army is composed of units framed in divisions. I usually also invent the army general's HQ unit using an sdkw222 or other scout car. The problem, however, are the enemy units, I wrote more than once on the forum that I would very much like the developers to attribute the real historical names of the enemy units, but unfortunately for now we have only seen a hint of them in the African scenarios of the campaign vanilla version.
I definitely agree! At least that's great that we can rename them both in the game and scenario editor :)
adiekmann
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by adiekmann »

Since Panzer Corps 1, I too always have organized my core based on historical division compositions. My current core consists of 3rd, 4th, and 12th Panzer Divisions (upgraded from 2. Infanterie (mot) Division), plus (and yes I know it is too early) Panzergrenadier-Division Großdeutschland. That is my super elite divisoin which contains both of my Azul infantry units.

What size Panzer Corps units represent has been discussed at length many times over the years. As you seem to be aware, there are many problems with saying "each unit is a ___________." Same goes for how big each hex in the game is supposed to represent. I will not repeat those issues here, but rather share what compromise I decided to use.
  • Most ground units represent either regiments (e.g. Grenadiers, Wehr Infantry) or battalions/abteilungen (e.g. tanks, artillery, recon, anti-tank, AA, engineers/pioniere).
  • For gameplay balance (so I don't have a disproportionate number of infantry to tank, for example), I reduce the size of some units from their historical true equivalents. For example, each of my divisions have two battalions (i.e. units) of artillery per regiment, rather than the more common historical three. There are a couple of other "holes" in being a complete faithful duplication of these units, but for gameplay reasons among other reasons.
As a result, my core ending 1941 looks like this (with each unit listed corresponding to an actual game unit):

3. Panzer-Division

I / Panzer-Regiment 6
II / Panzer-Regiment 6
Panzergrenadier-Regiment 3
Panzergrenadier-Regiment 394
Kradschützen-Battalion 3
I / Artillerie-Regiment 75
II / Artillerie-Regiment 75
Aufklärungs-Abteilung 3
Panzerjäger-Abteilung 543
Pioniere-Battailon 39
Flakabteilung 314

4. Panzer-Division
I / Panzer-Regiment 35
II / Panzer-Regiment 35
Panzergrenadier-Regiment 12
Panzergrenadier-Regiment 33
Kradschützen-Battailon 34
I / Artillerie-Regiment 103
II / Artillerie-Regiment 103
Aufklärungs-Abteilung 4
Panzerjäger-Abteilung 49
Pioniere-Battailon 79
Flakabteilung 290

Großdeutschland Division
I / Panzer-Regiment GD
II / Panzer-Regiment GD
Panzergrenadier Großdeutschland
Fusilier Großdeutschland
I / Artillerie-Regiment GD
II / Artillerie-Regiment GD
Aufklärungs-Abteilung GD
Panzerjäger-Abteilung GD
Pioniere-Battailon GD
Flakabteilung GD

12. Panzer-Division
I / Panzer-Regiment 29
II / Panzer-Regiment 29
Panzergrenadier-Regiment 5
Panzergrenadier-Regiment 25
I / Artillerie-Regiment 2
II / Artillerie-Regiment 2
Aufklärungs-Abteilung 12
Panzerjäger-Abteilung 2
Pioniere-Battailon 32
Flakabteilung 303

Jagdgeschwader 53 “Piks As”

I / JG 53
II / JG 53
III / JG 53
IV / JG 53

Jagdgeschwader 54 “Grünhertz”

I / JG 54
II / JG 54
III / JG 54
IV / JG 54

Sturzkampfgeschwader 2 “Immelmann”
I / StG 2
II / StG 2
III / StG 2

Zerstörergeschwader 26 "Horst Wessel"
I / ZG 26
II / ZG 26

Kampfgeschwader 53 "Legion Condor"
I / KG 53
II / KG 53
III / KG 53

Other units: Brückenpioniere, 2x armoured trains, air recon (from SCW)
Last edited by adiekmann on Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

And to finish all the 'common' infantry.

GERMANY
Late War (1944—1945) Infantry Division Template

German Infantry Division. France, Summer 1944

1944 was a large transformation year for the German Infantry. The changes were crucial, but, frankly speaking, it wasn't much of an upgrade.

We still have got three Infantry Regiments. However, all of them switched from 3 to 2 battalion standard. I found nothing better than to set max strength to 12 to show how weakened the late war German units were. On the other hand, the division got much more heavy weapons including AT stuff, so I've decided to make 2 regiments of '43 Grenadier and only 1 regiment of '43 Wehr Infanterie.

Sapper Battalion is mostly the same, with the same issue to add or not to add an Opel Blitz to it. In general, you shouldn't, if you want max historical accuracy.

Artillery Regiment should stay mostly the same with earlier templates. SdKfz 11 instead of Opel Blitz is optional, but not suggested.

The Anti-Tank Battalion, however, gets major upgrade. 7,5 cm PaK (model '40 or '41 to your preference) instead of older 3,7 cannons are here. And it really should receive an SdKfz 11 in order to represent its SP guns, which were on company level.

The last thing we have to discuss is the Recon. By 1944, Wehrmacht infantry divisions got the so-called 'Fusilier battalions', basically meaning light infantry equipped with bicycles and other stuff. These units were quite a nonsense, actually. I think the best option to show them in the game is to make a unit of Kradschützen, but with the strength of 10, not 7 like it was in 1939—1940. That should make them a little bit stronger and would show that these guys are more infantry than just motorcyclists. Which alternatives do we have? Well, probably a 10-strength Wehr Infanterie (not '43 version to show light equipment and lower combat capacity) battalion on Opels, but I honestly think that would be a worse representation.

TEMPLATE TOTALS
2 x Grenadier '43, 1 x Wehr Infanterie '43 (strength 12);
1 x Pioniere '43 (strength 10);
1 x 7,5 cm PaK 40/41 + SdKfz 11 (strength 7);
1 x Kradschützen (strength 10).

The whole template costs 24 core slots and 1540 prestige. That means that '44 Infantry Division is much more expensive (even being actually weaker in combat) than a '41 one. Its only stronger sides are better infantry units (but less in numbers) and better AT defense. I also think that about half of actual German divisions by 1944 and especially 1945 were of such quality that their infantry shouldn't be represented with '43 models, just basic ones. But, on the other hand, you shouldn't defintely be losing the war in this game, it's up to the player, after all :)

So, I guess that's it for the German line infantry. Volksgrenadier and various non-standard infantry units should be covered later. Stay tuned! :)
Last edited by Khancotlette on Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

adiekmann wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:29 pm Since Panzer Corps 1, I too always have organized my core based on historical division compositions. My current core consists of 3rd, 4th, and 12th Panzer Divisions (upgraded from 2. Infanterie (mot) Division), plus (and yes I know it is too early) Panzergrenadier-Division Großdeutschland. That is my super elite divisoin which contains both of my Azul infantry units.
Your setup is nice! I would agree that the best way to play Panzer Corps with historically plausible units is to 'command' a mobile corps with motorized/mechanized infantry, tanks and some supporting units! Also great choice of historical references for the names! :)
adiekmann

Post by adiekmann »

Khancotlette wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:37 pm
adiekmann wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:29 pm Since Panzer Corps 1, I too always have organized my core based on historical division compositions. My current core consists of 3rd, 4th, and 12th Panzer Divisions (upgraded from 2. Infanterie (mot) Division), plus (and yes I know it is too early) Panzergrenadier-Division Großdeutschland. That is my super elite divisoin which contains both of my Azul infantry units.
Your setup is nice! I would agree that the best way to play Panzer Corps with historically plausible units is to 'command' a mobile corps with motorized/mechanized infantry, tanks and some supporting units! Also great choice of historical references for the names! :)
Thanks. I forgot to mention 2x Fallschirmjäger units left over from AO40. I am not sure how much need I'll have for FSJ infantry going forward, so the might end up being the core of my next division (29. Panzergrenadier-Division) for all of those defensive battles late war. But we'll see how the future DLCs look like. For now I'll just keep them. We also don't know how many core slots/units we will have to deploy in AO42 and later DLCs so I don't anticipate enlarging my core much any more. Same goes for my air force.
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

And the last for today, still being a line infantry division, but with some nice flavour. I should add them as well.

GERMANY
"Blue" (250th Spanish) Infantry Division (1941—1943) Template — as of 1942

250th Infantry Division. Russia, Winter 1942/43

"Division Azul", without saying much, is basically a standard German infantry division. Of course it should use its own Infantry Regiments, but for the rest it's totally the same with its usual counterparts. Some tweaks that I suggest for the 250th are using Brückenpioniere for their Engineer Battalion to represent their fight in the region of Volkhov, full of rivers, lakes and swamps. The division had Radfahrer (cyclist) recon, so Kradschützen of strength 7 would be okay. Also, the AT Battalion is equipped with a bit more fitting the '42 campaign 5 cm PaK 38 guns. Also, the division was poorly motorised (as 80% of all Wehrmacht infantry), so it's better to have a Wagon instead of an Opel for their Artillery.

TEMPLATE TOTALS
3 x Azul Infanterie;
1 x Brückenpioniere (strength 10);
1 x 10,5 cm leFH 18 + Wagon;
1 x 5 cm PaK 38 + Opel Blitz (strength 7);
1 x Kradschützen (strength 7).

The whole template costs 20 core slots. The cost is similar to a usual '41 Wehrmacht infantry division, but with more expensive Azul infantry units. Brückenpioniere and Wagon, however, are much cheaper, so the final cost should be almost the same.
Last edited by Khancotlette on Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Really useful summary! When I play, I have this tendency to at least follow semi-accurate historical naming where possible (as in the AARs), but for simplicity sake I usually narrow down forces to battalion, sometimes regimental level. Running deeper into that data would require knowledge and info that is not easy to obtain, so sharing these templates a welcome piece of data. Who knows, I might end up using that info to some extent one day to further deepen the immersion level when it comes to naming and composition. Thanks for taking your time and effort!

While in the topic of sharing such things, I was thinking of doing an AAR with only minor allies forces on Generalissimus - this ultimately did not work out, mainly since some traits I took made the game less challenging then I hoped and too similar to past runs (captures really make things that much easier) as well as due to some overkill when it comes to unit purchases and a too wide core - my rule set was too strict in that regard. While I decided not to do an AAR out of it and not continue it beyond a few missions in SCW, a side effect of that effort was a sheet of sample battalion/squadron level formations (with some exceptions trimmed down to battery or company level for Finns for example) for each of the minor axis powers. I might as well share it here, perhaps it will be useful to someone willing to have some extra flavor to non-German axis units. I am not 100% confident about all of the naming naming (so sorry for butchering Hungarian for example!), but for basic gameplay purposes this should work fine. Feel free to correct any mistakes. :)

Infantry

IT - 1º Reggimento Fanteria
HU - 1. Lövészzászlóalj
RO - Batalionul 1 Infanterie
BG - 1 Pekhoten Batal’on
ES - I Batallón de Infantería
FI - Jalkaväkirykmentti 1
SK - 1. pechotný prápor

Tank

IT - 1º Battaglione Carri
HU - 1. Harckocsi Zászlóalj
RO - Batalionul 1 de Tancuri
BG - 1 Tankov Batal’on
ES - I Batallón de Carros de Combate
FI - I Panssaripataljoona
SK - 1. tankový prápor

Recon

IT - 1º Battaglione Autoblindo
HU - 1. Felderítő Zászlóalj
RO - Batalionul 1 de Cavalerie Blindat
BG - 1 Razuznavatelen Batal’on
ES - I Batallón de Automóviles Blindados
FI - Ratsuväkiprikaati 1

Anti-Tank

IT - 1º Battaglione Cannoni Controcarro
HU - 1. Páncéltörő Zászlóalj
RO - Batalionul 1 de Tunuri Anticar
BG - 1 Protivotankov Batal’on
ES - I Batallón de Antitanques
FI - Panssarintorjuntakomppania 1
SK - 1. protitankový prápor

Artillery

IT - 1º Reggimento Artiglieria
StuG/Self-propelled - IT - 1º Battaglione Artiglieria Semovente
HU - 1. Tüzérosztály
StuG - HU - 1. Rohamtüzér Osztály
RO - Batalionul 1 Artilerie
StuG - RO - Batalionul 1 de Tunuri de Asalt
BG - 1 Artileriĭski Batal’on
ES - I Batallón de Artillería de Campaña
FI - Kenttätykistörykmentti 1
StuG - FI - I Rynnäkkötykkipataljoona
SK - 1. delostrelecký prápor

Anti-Aircraft

IT - 1º Battaglione Artiglieria Contraerea
HU - 1. Légvédelmi Zászlóalj
RO - Batalionul 1 de Tunuri Antiaeriene
BG - 1 Protivovŭzdushna Batal’on
ES - I Batallón de Artillería Antiaérea
FI - I. Ilmatorjuntapatteri
SK - 1. protilietadlový prápor

Fighter

IT - 1º Gruppo Caccia Sq 1
HU - 1/1. Vadászszázad
RO - Escadrila 1 Vanatoare
BG - 1 Iztrebitelen Polk 1 Yato
ES - 1º Grupo de Caza 1ª Escuadrilla
FI - Hävittäjälentolaivue 1
SK - 1. stíhačka letka

Tactical Bomber

Dive bomber - IT - 1º Gruppo Bombardamento a Tuffo Sq 1
Fighter-bomber - IT - 1º Gruppo Bombardamento Veloce Sq 1
Dive bomber - HU - 1/1. Zuhanóbombázó Század
Fighter-bomber - HU - 1/1. Gyorsbombázó Század
RO - Escadrila 1 Asalt
Bomber - BG - 1 Bombardirovŭchen Polk 1 Yato
Fighter-bomber - BG - 1 Iztrebitelno-Bombardirovŭchen Polk 1 Yato
Bomber - ES - 1º Grupo de Apoyo 1ª Escuadrilla
Fighter-bomber - ES - 1º Grupo de Asalto 1ª Escuadrilla
FI - Pommituslentolaivue 1

Recon Plane

IT - 1º Gruppo Ricognizione Sq 1
Long Recon - HU - 1/1. Távolfelderítő Század
Short Recon - HU - 1/1. Közelfelderítő Század
RO - Escadrila 1 Recunoastere Indepartata
BG - 1 Razuznavatelen Aviopolk 1 Yato
ES - 1º Grupo de Reconocimiento 1ª Escuadrilla
FI - Tiedustelulentolaivue 1

Strategic Bomber

IT - 1º Gruppo Bombardiere Sq 1
HU - 1/1. Bombázószázad
RO - Escadrila 1 Bombardment
BG - 1 Bombardirovŭchen Polk 1 Yato
ES - 1º Grupo de Bombardeo 1ª Escuadrilla
FI - Pommituslentolaivue 1
SK - 1. bombardovacia letka

Air Transport

IT - 1º Gruppo Aerotransporto Sq 1
HU - 1/1. Szállítórepülő Század
RO - Escadrila 1 Transport
BG - 1 Transporten Aviopolk 1 Yato
ES - 1º Grupo de Transporte 1ª Escuadrilla
SK - 1. dopravná letka
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

Oh, that's great! I like these native-language names! However, I'm always too afraid to screw them up grammatically (I know, more or less, only Russian, English and German) and therefore I use English names for all :)
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

A late war layout of the so-called "people's grenadiers". Honestly I think that was a strange idea to make the Volksgrenadier some kind of elite infantry. They have the same attack stats with the usual '43 Grenadier, and also better Movement and Close Defense, being only a bit weaker in Ground Defense and Air Defense. However, in reality the people's grenadiers were just some kind of made-up last-hope troops without any training, being drafted from both too young and too old to serve (except a few elite units which were renamed into Volks-Grenadier-Divisionen, the rest were basically just a bit better armed version of the Volkssturm militia), weakened even in comparison to a regular '44 Infantry Division. But in the game they are quite okay, so let's see it.

GERMANY
Volks-Grenadier Division (1944—1945) Template

German Volks-Grenadier. Poland, Winter 1944/45

People's Grenadiers are basically a regular 1944-pattern infantry division. The size of the unit was even smaller, however (~10,000 vs. ~12,500; while a '39 Infantry Division was circa 17,500-strong). So the setup is basically the same with this template, but with some minor changes. All Wehr Infanterie and Grenadier are to be substituted with Volksgrenadier, and we say goodbye to any recon, because in reality a Volksgrenadier division had only a 'fusilier' company, not even a battalion. In some cases, however, such a battalion could be attached to the division, so it's up to you. So, as I've said before, that's '44 division, but weaker. However, in the game reality VG units are quite decent, so in terms of PzC 2 this division would still be quite useful.

TEMPLATE TOTALS
3 x Volksgrenadier (strength 12);
1 x 7,5 cm PaK 40/41 + SdKfz 11 (strength 7).

The whole template costs 22 core slots, 2 slots more expensive than a regular '44 one, and that's even without the recon. In terms of prestige that would be 1600, so a very expensive division, but 'blind' without the recon and with quite mediocre combat durability being composed entirely of heavy infantry. It's up to your personal preference wether to build or not such a division, but my personal advice would be to possibly avoid that :D
Last edited by Khancotlette on Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

On the other hand, there is another possible variant of the Volksgrenadier composition, which looks more interesting (less banal?) to me.

GERMANY
Volks-Grenadier Division (1944—1945) Variant Template

German Volks-Grenadier. Rhine, Spring 1945

The template is the same with one above, but we switch to self-propelled StuG IV anti-tank gun for our Anti-Tank Battalion. The Volksgrenadier were the first infantry division pattern which had more self-propelled than towed anti-tank artillery in its ranks, so it could have its representation in PzC 2. However, it almost never was fulfilled, and the usual PaK guns still dominated, that's why the initial (and basic) setup is shown above with usual AT Guns and no recon. But to have more fun in the game, I have to say that it would be quite historically accurate to give these poor guys a unit of StuG's. And, as I've said before, a Kradschützen 10-strength battalion is also possible, since some VG divisions were lucky enough to have a Fusilier battalion attached.

TEMPLATE TOTALS
3 x Volksgrenadier (strength 12);
1 x StuG IV (strength 7);
1 x Kradschützen (strength 10) — optional.

The whole template costs 26 core slots. The prestige price should be around 1820. That possibly makes this 'better Volksgrenadier' to be the most expensive German infantry division possible. It's up to you to consider is it worth it or not.

And that should be all regarding regular infantry, I suppose. Cavalry to be next! Stay tuned.
Last edited by Khancotlette on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

Well, not sure if anyone would really like to build large cavalry formations in PzC 2, but why not? I guess everyone should get his share of fun. So, basically, what was the situation with cavalry in Germany?

There was only one (but large) Cavalry Division (1st, of course) until November 1941. Then it was transformed into an Armoured Division and there were no cavalry divisions until the end of the war. However, cavalry divisions did exist in the Waffen-SS, but since there are currently no SS units in PzC (and I'm not sure if they are going to appear), I wouldn't cover them. In 1944 Hitler authorized the formation of Heer's 1st Cavalry Corps consisting of 4 brigades and 1 Hungarian cavalry division. By 1945 they were redesigned as divisions, but stayed basically the same due to obvious reasons. So I guess, for the game purpose we can provide these two templates — 1939 Cavalry Division and 1944 Cavalry Brigade. Also, as a piece of flavour, I would also suggest a Russian collaborationist Cossack Division. It could be fun to play during rural operations in Russia.

GERMANY
Early War (1939—1941) Cavalry Division Template

German Cavalry Division. Poland, Autumn 1939

Okay, so what do we have here. First of all, 4 Cavalry Regiments. That's be massive, for sure. The unit is of course Kavallerie.

Mounted Artillery Regiment. It wasn't actually much different from Infantry Division's one, but I've decided to make it of lesser calibre in order to show its lighter composition and faster movement. It's horse artillery, after all, right? So, an old good WW1-era 7,5 cm FK 16 nA would be just fine. And a Wagon of course!

Anti-Tank Battalion (strength 7) would be the same with Infantry Division. 3,7 cm PaK 36 and Opel Blitz.

Sapper Battalion (strength 10) would be Pioniere, and in this case I think an Opel is a must in order to keep these guys in pace with the rest of the division.

Recon Battalion. It was equipped with bicycles, so, as we did before, I suggest using the Kradschützen with strength of 7.

TEMPLATE TOTALS
4 x Kavallerie;
1 x 7,5 cm FK 16 nA + Wagon;
1 x 3,7 cm PaK 36 + Opel Blitz (strength 7);
1 x Kradschützen (strength 7).

The whole template costs 21 core slots and 1550 prestige, which is almost 200 points more expensive than regular Infantry. I honestly have no idea why the Cavalry is so ridiculously expensive (290 for a unit), but that's it.
Last edited by Khancotlette on Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”