Historical Flags Mod

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Khancotlette
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Historical Flags Mod

Post by Khancotlette »

Answered your PM, but just in case if anyone's facing the same troubles — perhaps, I didn't manage to state this detail: the archive you're downloading has folders with the names of the flags you want. You have to actually follow these folders until you start seeing folders with the same name as in the game's directory ("Graphics", "Gui" etc.), and then you copy them (and only them) into the game directory. All previous folders are just to show what you're going to install.
miller330i
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by miller330i »

Figured it out. Some of us here haven't done this in awhile or ever so we forget how its done.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Just want to warn you that the inversion that was present with the Insignia, a result of a flipped UV, has been fixed. Obviously this will make no difference to the vast majority of symmetrical assets ( the reason it wasn't spotted originally ) but will affect those that are asymmetric.

This will be in the next update though I have no ETA on that because of delays due to the pandemic ( alot of people seem to think its all over .. it's not )

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

miller330i
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by miller330i »

How can I put the fix in?
Fosforos12
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Fosforos12 »

Sort of related to the topic I made historically correct insignia for finnish vehicles and aircraft: viewtopic.php?f=597&t=106991
- JNokikana
effverescentcomet

Post by effverescentcomet »

Greetings, I am also trying to make some custom flags here. Could you please tell me how it is done? I have tried extracting .dds textures form the .uexp file but it doesn't work everytime.
ChristianC
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ChristianC »

Same. I would greatly appreciate it if you can share how to do this. I'm hitting a road block (description in link). viewtopic.php?t=108954
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

Hi guys. Sorry for being absent for quite a while. Well, it's not too hard, but tricky. The main point is to at first extract the actual texture from the UE asset (I'm using the UE Viewer a.k.a. umodel.exe for it), then change it in graphic editor and then re-'cook' it into an asset using Unreal Editor. And it's very important to put precisely the 'cooked' asset into the game folder, not the one you have in your project folder. Regarding the mod, I hope I'll be able to return to work and make some new stuff.
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Need this MOD an update after last patch 1.03.03?
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

Magic1111 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:45 pm Need this MOD an update after last patch 1.03.03?
I hope it shouldn't. BTW, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia insignia fixes are already present in the base game (many thanks to the devs! :) ).
Panzer Mods
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Panzer Mods »

Hey, just wanted to ask which version of Unreal Engine did you use to edit Panzer Corps 2 textures, as I'm having trouble with editing anything as the uassets will not show up in my content borwser?
ChristianC
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ChristianC »

Panzer Mods wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:50 pm Hey, just wanted to ask which version of Unreal Engine did you use to edit Panzer Corps 2 textures, as I'm having trouble with editing anything as the uassets will not show up in my content borwser?
Same as above when I put the file in the project folder. And if I drag it in Unreal engine says it does not recognize .uassest. I am using Unreal engine 4.26.2 which I understand the game is running on.

This is my understanding of the process:

1. "extract" the texture from the .uasset file through the UE Viewer (umodel.exe)
2. edit the texture in the Unreal Editor (simply overlay new .png?)
3. re-'cook' it into an 'asset' (.uassest file?) using Unreal Editor
4. replace the original .uasset file with the new one in the game directory

I have UE Viewer (screenshot below) but I see no option to "extract," only to export.

Once I do manage to "extract" the texture, how do I overlay a new image on top of it in the Unreal Editor so I may re-'cook' it? Am I on the right track here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

How I did it and it worked for me (at least with simple textures like flags, insignias, roundels etc.)

1) Find the asset you need, they are usually easy to track in the corresponding folder, like "Map Images/Flags" and so on.
2) Extract the textures you need from it using UE Viewer. Flags, roundels etc. have only one file inside the asset — the texture itself. It's extracted to .png if I'm not mistaken. Export option is exactly what you need.
3) Edit the texture in any graphic editor like GIMP or Photoshop. Save it with the very name you need, how it is named in the game folder, like, if you're changing Germany's flag, it should look like "flag_DE" or something like that.
4) Put the texture into the Unreal Editor, just your blank project, you don't need to actually open any of PC2 projects.
5) Make an asset from the texture you've created (a png file), just make sure that you're using the same parameters as in PC2 (they can be viewed in UE Viewer when you're watching and extracting the original texture). If I remember correctly, Unreal Editor default settings are okay for most of textures
6) Cook the asset and find the files you need in the project folder — make sure that you're taking the file from the "Cooked" folder, not any other.
7) Put them into the game folder with over-writing. As far as I know, it's precisely important to make the file named correctly BEFORE the cooking process. Renaming the final cooked file to the name you need unfortunately doesn't work.

I should say it's kind a hell of a process for changing only one single flag, especially when comparing to Paradox Interactive games when you just open a single png/tga file which lies open in the game directory, but... we've got what we've got :D

May the Force be with you :)

P.S. What you have on your screenshot is not what you need, it's some kind of skeleton mesh used I guess for flags' animation. You need solid flag textures of flag images, they are animated automatically by the game.
ChristianC
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ChristianC »

Thank you for this detailed guide! However, I'm stuck at step 5. After hours of searching I cannot figure out how to cook (export?) the texture as a .uasset file, I only see the options included in the screenshot. Can you please tell me how to do this?

ChristianC
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ChristianC »

Got it!

If anyone else is wonder about step 5. Go to file > package project > (your OS). Let it run. Then, Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject\Saved\Cooked\WindowsNoEditor\MyProject\Content. The files are located there.

8)
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

Congratulations! :)
ChristianC
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ChristianC »

Thanks again. Also, I wonder if you know if these purchase images are 2D representations (sprites)? I haven't found a folder for them, just for the 3D components. It would be awesome to make custom ones.

terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

ChristianC wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:47 am Thanks again. Also, I wonder if you know if these purchase images are 2D representations (sprites)? I haven't found a folder for them, just for the 3D components. It would be awesome to make custom ones.
What’s weird is that despite my SSD these images appear gradually on my screen :o
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

I guess they are auto-rendered static 3D images, not 2D sprites, but I might be wrong. I'd just make them so in order not to draw every icon by hand hahahah. And yeah, their gradual loading is a kind of proof for that.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

In the shop, the unit panel and the unit information/camo panel they are real time 3D renders of the exact models on the map using a different camera and blank environment. Otherwise we'd have to create static images of every model with every camo combination, and create more for every model every time we add new camo. Thats not going to happen.

So you'll notice changes in weather and lighting are apparent in the shop and other windows.

P

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Return to “Panzer Corps 2 Scenario Design”