Running out of manpower

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

vakarr
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Running out of manpower

Post by vakarr » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:21 am

I am trying to play the Pyrrhus scenario and wow, is it difficult! As the Romans I never got to invade Epirus because of the attacks from the north, and then I ran out of manpower. The Romans run out of manpower??? Then I tried playing as Pyrrhus and found that you have to keep one big army together all the time or the Romans run over you. That means that all the food gets used up in areas besieged, so I have to get out of them completely really quickly, and the Romans take them back. It is fun trying to run a war with only one province to fund it!!! I got the money situation sorted out, then I get sent some more elephants, which is nice, but my manpower has gone negative. I have won the battles in Field of Glory with less than 10% casualties , so no Pyrrhic victories yet! I keep wiping out the Romans, and they just send another army (yeah nice and historical, especially since I can't hold onto any Roman provinces).

Meanwhile there's this manpower problem. Is there something working in the background that increases/decreases manpower - like does increasing the population of a province increase manpower, or does it increase only if you build something? So far I've only seen the Herbalist and the Barracks increase manpower. I'm building lots of food in the hope that increases population, but does it help with the manpower crisis? Is eliminating troops all I can do?

Gray Fox
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: Running out of manpower

Post by Gray Fox » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:21 pm

Population increases manpower in a region/province, but many structures increase manpower as well.
For new players: Grand Strategy AAR and Steam Guide: Tips for new players
Samstra's Trade guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1805684085

SuitedQueens
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by SuitedQueens » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:51 am

While what Gray Fox saying is true it's not that noticeable of increase. If you want to fire from all barrels on multiple fronts like I did in my AAR you need to abuse Diplomacy and trade off your provincial units for manpower and gold. You should have enough free units support for initial conquest especially as Rome. That was a general tip.

As for Pirus scenario your forces should be strong enough to take on constantly spawning Rome armies if you export to FOG 2. Just blitz them out. You can go into negatives for some time:

Lack of manpower (manpower) = 0 to -50 = Loyalty 10. Gain back 15 Manpower per turn.
Severe lack of manpower (manpower) = -50 to -300 = Loyalty 20, Military Buildings penalty 20%, Decadence for Conquest increase 15%. Gain back 30 Manpower per turn.
Crippling lack of manpower (manpower) = -300 to -1000 = Loyalty 30, Military Buildings penalty 50%, Decadence for Conquest increase 25%. Gain back 50-100 Manpower per turn.

Another thing that will help you:
8 light cavalry stack dampens 1% of revolt, but the best part about it is that it's the immortal defending stack in the game. They proly will be flying around newly conquered frontier regions anyway, while your main stacks chilling in the provincial capitals for 25% upkeep discount. When someone attacks you export the battle to FoG 2 and the attacker MUST win in 25 turns. If your light cav will rout at least one enemy stack and run around after that night time will come and enemy will lose the battle.

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:13 am

Wait until the timer runs out? That's no way to defeat an enemy! I won the game as Pyrrhus, completely wiping out the Roman armies several times, but only conquered two Roman provinces. Got the manpower down to -10. Diplomacy is as difficult and unreasonable in this game as in practically every other computer game I've played. Very hard to get your allies to do anything or for anybody to sign even a co-operation treaty. Tried giving them metal repeatedly but that didn't seem to make them like me any more. Got Tarentum to agree to give me some manpower but I never seem to have got it, maybe because the Romans invaded Tarentum and I had to throw them out (again) before they conquered it.

SuitedQueens

Post by SuitedQueens » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:12 am

You can win any way you want. I'm just describing the most efficient way to beat AI on Suicidal difficulty. Diplomacy is not hard at all and requires abusing Insult Emissary option. Every iteration of using it increases your Disposition with nations who are in war with nation you insulting by +5. Check this screen from turn 30 Burgundi AAR: https://ibb.co/FJJ8zBx
When you have units to trade you can constantly make beneficial deals with about 40% success rate. IF you have 10+ nations you propose a deal every turn then its not hard to see how you can quickly grow your economy.

Check turn 62 after annihilation of Carthage (donated 900+ Legacy points to me), Epirus and Sparta: https://imgbb.com/Wvxw4Md

Many north Germany and mid Germany nations were destroyed when I was laying my path to invade North Africa around turn 50. Thats AAR done on Suicide and I have some tips on micro managing your economy, Diplomacy and very advanced movement/tactical concepts. Also I have mini-breakdown of the entire battle against Spartan army where I abused all possible FOG 2 light horse tricks to win swiftly and with typical 1-2% casualties (sacrificing LH's for tricks).

I stopped it for now until interest rises again tho.

Offtop EDIT: I finally have time to play FOG 2 MP. I will contact you in a day or two. (spoiler and hide tags doesn't seem to work)

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:14 am

Oh, thanks, I wondered what use the "abuse emissary" option was. That's some interesting points you make. I haven't played FOG Empires for a while, I got so involved in it I kept playing past midnight and trying to to to work the next day... found out how serious lack of sleep can lead to PTSD if you have a nasty series of arguments with your manager! Fortunately that only lasted a few days, it was really scary. The solution to the manpower problem is to capture Tarentum, it seems - taking it off the Romans just as they are about to conquer it means you get it and keep the alliance. Still it's been a while and now I can't remember if you can put military buildings anywhere in a province or only in the capital if you want the full benefit of experience etc.

SuitedQueens

Military and Micro tips

Post by SuitedQueens » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:29 am

Yes, that why you want most of Military buildings in your Province Capital. Here's some relevant military values:
PROV_RECRUIT_OTHER_PERC 50 // do a sum of all xp boosting structures in province (except the local region) and apply this coeff when recruiting a unit (in addition to what is given by the local region)
PROV_RECRUIT_LOCAL_XPMAX 25 // the extra bonus from others regions can't be higher than 25 XP
PROV_RECRUIT_LOCAL_XPLVLMAX 2 // the extra bonus from others regions can't be higher than 2 XP level

And in case you didn't know another large benefit of Province is Production Point siphoning. That means that if your Province has 4 regions with 50 PP production you can queue 1 PP shuffle option in one of the region and you will stockpile 199 PP at the end of the turn. If you are looking for specific structure you can stockpile enough PP in every region that way while fishing for it. Any excess PP will be left for the next structures so it doesn't matter if you stockpile 100 or 1000.

Also, check your PM here and on Discord and write me back when you have time

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”