Panzer Corps 2 Community Request - On the hunt for photos suitable for HERO PORTRAITS

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Panzer Corps 2 Community Request - On the hunt for photos suitable for HERO PORTRAITS

Post by Patrick Ward »

Pacific_header_01.jpg
Pacific_header_01.jpg (101.17 KiB) Viewed 3739 times

As many of you will know, we previously called on the community to help us find copyright free images suitable for use as heroes, generals etc. for Axis Operations. That was a huge success and combined with photos from our own collection and some judicious Photoshoping we ended up with a great number of usable images that are still being added with DLC.

However, with our move into the Pacific we enter a realm I have less experience with, have fewer contacts in, and involves some languages I can't type let alone understand ... so I'm asking for your help again.

If you'd like to take part, you can scout the net or your collections for historical images and pictures of soldiers and officers from World War 2. Some of them will be included in the game (provided they are stock images with no copyright attached, and that they are large and clear enough), and will be displayed as unit hero portraits in Panzer Corps 2 - Pacific. You can also post pictures you actually own, of friends or family members who served.

Important: please make sure to state where you got the image from, preferably providing links to the source, so we can double check if we can legally make use of it.

We are looking for images of infantry and airforce soldiers and officers for the following armies:

Japan
America
China
Britain
( including the colonial nations )
Australia
New Zealand

For the main nations we need about 30 each. For the smaller nations proportionally less.
So in this thread, please post the picture, the nation and arm it represents, and links to or information about its source. If possible, any further information about the contents would be appreciated.
I'll have to check them myself and will add any pertinent notes I find since theres no guarantee it will be me collating them later. So please don't be offended when I edit your posts.

Please keep this thread to pictures or supporting information only. Discussions or comments that do not include suitable images, or are supporting posted images will be moved to the main forum for our own sanity.

Notes:
Copyright is the biggest issue here. The image needs to be either stated as being in the public domain, from your own personal collection ( in which case you are giving us permission to use it ) or is credited as being CC0.

Let the hunt begin!

Pat a Pixel Pusher

GUNDOBALDO08
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Panzer Corps 2 Community Request - On the hunt for photos suitable for HERO PORTRAITS

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 »

I try to break the ice with this photo of Sun li Jen.
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Li-jen
Attachments
2FE4975F-0381-498F-BAE9-28F1EC67279A.jpeg
2FE4975F-0381-498F-BAE9-28F1EC67279A.jpeg (31.75 KiB) Viewed 3624 times
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Panzer Corps 2 Community Request - On the hunt for photos suitable for HERO PORTRAITS

Post by Patrick Ward »

GUNDOBALDO08 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:57 am I try to break the ice with this photo of Sun li Jen.
Thanks Gundobaldo08. Great start.

For my reference later.

Public Domain ( Italy )

Commander-in-Chief of the Army of the Republic of China (1950).
Served during the Sino-Japanese War and the Chinese Civil War
"Sun led his troops fighting the Japanese during the Battle of Shanghai in 1937 and was badly injured by the fragments of the mines. After recovering, Sun returned to lead his troops to the front. After two years of training, Sun's new 38th Division was sent by Chiang Kai-shek to Burma to protect the Burma Road under General Zhang Zhen , commander of the 66th Army, along with General Du Yuming (5th Army) and General Gan Lichu (6th Army) as part of the Chinese Expeditionary Force. Sun led a Chinese regiment through difficult terrain to relieve 7,000 British forces trapped by the numerically superior Japanese in the Battle of Yenangyaung . Although unable to prevent the Japanese from cutting the Burma Road, Sun won the respect of General William Slim , the commander of the British 14th Army . Sun and his division withdrew to India, while Du's, against Sun's advice, withdrew to China and were beaten by both nature and the Japanese.

In early 1943 , after the successful withdrawal from India , Sun's division was incorporated into the New First Army and became part of the " Force X ", the Chinese force under the command of Joseph Stilwell , the US commander of all US troops and Chinese in the " Theater of China-Burma-India ". The battle discipline of Sun's divisions reaffirmed Stilwell's respect for the Chinese soldier. His troops led the Burma campaign , Stilwell's 1943 voyage to recapture Northern Burma and reestablish the land route to China along the Ledo road.. General Stilwell considered Sun the most capable Chinese field commander of the entire war. In 1945 , at the invitation of US General Dwight Eisenhower , Sun toured the battlefields of Europe. He returned to China to lead the New First Army to Canton to accept the Japanese surrender."

Useful as either a commander portait or hero.

Pat a Pixel Pusher

BaronVonKrieg
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BaronVonKrieg »

American ETO. Public domain / CC0. Suitable for hero
https://www.goodfreephotos.com/historic ... ii.jpg.php

British MTO. Public Domain / CC0. One soldier suitable for hero but might be too small.
https://www.goodfreephotos.com/egypt/ot ... pt.jpg.php
BaronVonKrieg
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BaronVonKrieg »

Canadian Artillery. ETO. Public domain / CC0. Maybe two suitable for hero but very blurred.
some canadian ones https://www.publicdomainpictures.net/en ... rriere-ww2
BaronVonKrieg
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BaronVonKrieg »

Unusable. Released by the IWM under their non-commercial license. Wikipedia claims it's covered by Crown Copyright .. which has expired so its in the public domain. For this particular image that is questionable.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item ... /205206470

https://wargaming.com/en/news/infantry_weapons/
BaronVonKrieg
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BaronVonKrieg »

Australian. PTO or MTO. Public Domain. Usable as hero

https://collections.museumsvictoria.com ... ms/1950138
jeannot le lapin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by jeannot le lapin »

An Australian pilot with a baby Kangaroo

australian-pilot-with-kangaroo.jpg
australian-pilot-with-kangaroo.jpg (99.19 KiB) Viewed 3531 times
Australian Airforce. Suitable for hero
Australian War Memorial NWA0031. Public domain
https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C282805

http://poisonpage.blogspot.com/2014/12/ ... d-war.html
jeannot le lapin

Post by jeannot le lapin »

US Marine Gill A. Gideon, Jr. with M1 Carbine on Guam, Mariana Islands, 21 Jul 1944

weapon_m1carbine3(2).jpg
weapon_m1carbine3(2).jpg (290.22 KiB) Viewed 3524 times
American PTO - suitable for hero
Source-United States Marine Corps, Identification Code-80-G-475159
Public Domain

https://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=8030
b52pilot1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by b52pilot1 »

Here's a pic of my grandfather. He served in WWII (in Europe) and later in the Korean War, but retired before Vietnam started (I guess he thought two wars was enough for him, lol).

He was a frontline infantryman in the US Army and by all accounts he saw a lot of action - two bronze stars, and two purple hearts one of which came from a piece of shrapnel imbedded in his leg from a German 88mm artillery round. That shrapnel was never removed and could be seen on xrays until the day he died. The citations from his Bronze Star medals read like modern-day Medal Of Honor citations....times have definitely changed.

I've seen some of the "trophies" he carried home from battlefields (Nazi dagger, German medals and insignia, N. Korean sword etc). He is mentioned several times in a biography about the 9th Armored Division's capture of the Ludendorff bridge called "The Bridge at Remagen". He was part of the 27 Armored infantry Battalion within the 9th Armored Division and he was part of the relief forces that broke the encirclement of paratroops at Bastogne and St.Vith during the Battle of the Bulge, and his unit liberated a concentration camp, and at the very end of WWII he met Russian troops in Czechoslovakia.

He served 20 years in the US Army and retired as a Chief Warrant Officer in the 1960s. He was my inspiration to join the military and I served 22 years as an Air Force pilot. I'd be honored if you can use his attached photograph...it might be best suitable for a Allied campaign in the European theater. Please let me know if you select his picture for a Hero Portrait in one of the upcoming games as I will definitely want to purchase it. I can provide his name (or perhaps modify his name to a pseudonym if that is more appropriate), just let me know.
Attachments
US Army Infantryman
US Army Infantryman
Grandfather.jpg (395.36 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Final call.

I'm particularly looking for Allied forces images.

Cheers,

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

GUNDOBALDO08

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 »

Alvin York wwi hero
Attachments
DA14AB67-826B-4095-B47A-A3BACBD9582D.jpeg
DA14AB67-826B-4095-B47A-A3BACBD9582D.jpeg (85.17 KiB) Viewed 2292 times

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”