Brave New World (total conversion) -v3.2 + No Counters

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

StuccoFresco
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Brave New World (total conversion) -v3.2 + No Counters

Post by StuccoFresco »

Hi all, this is the 3.2 release of my first mod for Order of Battle. It aims to provide some kind of Operational feeling to the game. With fixed unit size and some kind of OOB behind the unit composition, I intend to lead the game in a more “organized” direction, a distant relative of more complex wargames like The Operational Art of War IV. The unit models have been replaced with NATO-style counters (thanks to Maitrebongo for that). Every unit represent a Regiment, Battalion or Brigade-sized combat unit with mixed equipments.

The campaigns take place in a fictional world, because I didn’t want to painstakingly re-create real locations with correct proportions in the map editor, and neither I wanted to exhaust myself recreating the complex historical OOBs of WW2. I’m a bit lazy like that. This also allowed me to mix up things a bit instead of Axis vs Allies #54.

The 3.2 version features FIVEsingle-player campaigns (6, 8, 10, 7 and 7 scenarios respectively), secondary objectives unlocking bonus for later scenarios, plenty of events and triggers, and three full unit rosters for the five nations involved in the campaigns. Scenarios are also available as skirmishes.

Special thanks to Maitrebongo's Unit Counter mod, without which this mod would have never been born.

A NC (No-NATO Counters) version with classic graphisc is now available and updated to the last version.

Download v3.2: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/83blbls1 ... jpdn5&dl=0

Download v3.2 No Counter Version: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/idxz5rmg ... ndjbx&dl=0

Game Manual: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ck1znthy ... zlg6b&dl=0

Detailed description:
This mod aims to provide some kind of Operational feeling to the game. With fixed unit size and some kind of OOB behind the unit composition, I intend to lead the game in a more “organized” direction, a distant relative of more complex wargames like The Operational Art of War IV. The units' graphics have been replaced with NATO-style counters. Every unit represent a Regiment, Battalion or Brigade-sized combat unit with mixed equipments.

The hex scale varies from 2,5 to 5 kmq of terrain. This isn’t always consistent with artillery ranges and movement points, but I think it’s a decent compromise between realism and gameplay. In a typical battle, a single Army fights against another Army-level opponent.

An Army is made by a variable number of Corps, usually between 3 and 5. Those Corps are usually made of 3 to 5 Divisions, some support Regiment and a Corps HQ. A typical Division is made by three line Regiments (Infantry, Motorized, Mechanized or Armored); line Regiments have a small yellow sign on their icon. All Regiments belonging to a Division will have the same name, and every Division or Brigade belonging to a Corps will carry its name too.

Brigades are bigger “base” units that can fight more or less on their own thanks to their size and equipment. They are usually “elite” units with very high attributes and often a “specialization”. They don’t belong to any Division, but they are usually assigned to Corps.

There are no in-game advantages to keep Divisions and Corps together: you can mix them as you wish, although I think it’s more satisfying trying to keep formations in order to have a better feeling of “realism”. To make HQ units significant, they have been given several abilities and an AA attack, making them useful to keep close to your line units. If an Operation or Army HQ is assigned to them they also project powerful bonus on a 2 or 3 hex radius. However, they are also fragile, and losing them decreases the amount of supplies, so you are strongly encouraged to keep them safe.

Air units represent entire Wings (30-50 planes), and multiple wings are organized into Groups. Groups are represented by Airfields. Air units have a large amount of movement points, being able to traverse most maps in a single turn, but only 3 fuel points. You can launch three air units per turn per airfield.

Naval units represent single ships, except for Transports and Support Ships, that represent small flotillas.
AARs of all campaigns are already available or planned for release in the AAR section fo the forum, so if you want you'll have a full preview before even having to download the mod. Some changes have been made to the mod since the earlier AARs, mainly to make the scenarios more challenging. If you are interested in trying this mod, please give me as much feedback as you can be bothered to write down. Playtesters are incredibly valuable for a modder.

CHANGELOG
v2.0: base version with 1940 Yugoslavia vs British Commonwealth Campaign.
v2.01: fixed Strongpoints being able to move via train (thanks to ColonelY), fixed graphics of the splash page (it had old icons) and version number.
v2.02: tweaked some scenario's difficulty, fixed several small problems here and there, thanks again to ColonelY
v2.2: new 1942 campaign, this time you will play as the British Commonwealth against Yugoslavia. New "Operations" system (also working for 1940 campaign). New naval system. Plenty of minor changes.
v2.2 NC: Stand-alone release, it only reverts units' on map graphics with vanilla icons. No more counters! Motorized and Mechanized units now have "foot" chassis because of game engine limitations; to make up for their newfound ability to move through some terrain (dense forests and mountains), I've slightly reduced their movement points
v3.0: added new 1943/44 campaign with 10 scenarios, added a new faction (Eire), added map masks for new and old campaigns. Several tweaks to naval units, making Destroyers less resilient and submarines more capable but squishier. Updated the Manual.
v3.2: added two new campaigns with two new factions (Italian Kingdom and Byzantine Free States). Minor changes to several units, mainly naval ones. Updated the Manual. Released NC version with classic graphics.

Disclaimer: When I started modding I went on to look at other mods to learn about campaign making and file structure, and in the process I copied unit graphics into a big folder together with the unit sprites from the Unit Editor Tool, from which I later took images for the mod. I don't know if I took some other modder's work: if you recognize some ingame graphics from another mod, let me know and I'll replace it.
Last edited by StuccoFresco on Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:57 am, edited 18 times in total.
conboy
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Brave New World (total conversion) -v2.0

Post by conboy »

Stucco,
I'm interested in this. I downloaded it and put it in the mod directory. The opening screen came up just fine but your campaigns and scenarios don't show up, only the stuff in my standard OoB directories show up. I checked against Erik's MiniMod and it shows the campaigns and stuff associated with that mod, not the normal OoB stuff.

Maybe check it and make sure the directories are set up properly so folks that download the Brave New World mod can see the associated gameplay directories.

thanks,
conboy
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

I got the same, I only see standard custom non-modded campaigns.
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

I am a massive idiot and forgot to add

;unique_scenarios = false
unique_scenarios = true

skirmish_disabled = true

;multiplayer_disabled = true
multiplayer_disabled = false

to the mod.txt file.

I have uploaded the file again and modified the download link, let me know if it works correctly! Can't wait for feedback from two experienced modders!
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Okay, now we can load and start the campaign... :D

:!: Issue, though: the scenario turn limit is defined now at 2 turns per scenario... :shock: that won't do it, obviously! :? This has to be fixed. :wink:

And the bunkers seems to be able to travel by train? :|
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Bunkers/stronghold CAN travel by train, which is a little strange... :?

If you want to have like a duration of 2 days per scenario, that's fine, but then you should anyway put more turns per day... so basically increase both numbers - the total of turns at disposal and the amount of turns per day. :wink:
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

ColonelY wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:05 pm Okay, now we can load and start the campaign... :D

:!: Issue, though: the scenario turn limit is defined now at 2 turns per scenario... :shock: that won't do it, obviously! :? This has to be fixed. :wink:

And the bunkers seems to be able to travel by train? :|
Uuurgh i was testing the later scenarios of the campaign and set the first two scenarios at 2 turns only just to "skip" it, and of course forgot to change back the lenght (20 turns).

Fixed it, reuploaded the file.
Last edited by StuccoFresco on Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

ColonelY wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:13 pm Bunkers/stronghold CAN travel by train, which is a little strange... :?
Yeah, I can't figure out why, I'm looking for help here: viewtopic.php?f=374&t=108101

It shouldn't, but it does.
conboy

Post by conboy »

I downloaded the new version. I still have the same problem and opening screen still says v 1.0. (little red letters at the top).

standing by ...

conboy
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

conboy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:36 pm I downloaded the new version. I still have the same problem and opening screen still says v 1.0. (little red letters at the top).

standing by ...

conboy
You don't see scenarios/campaign? I just tested, it works. Guy above could play the campaign, and I fixed the scenario lenght.
conboy

Post by conboy »

Yep, It's working. Trying to understand the mixed units ... interesting!

conboy
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

Thanks, any feedback is welcome! Unfortunately, I still have no solution for the train-bunkers. :?
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

(double post)
Last edited by StuccoFresco on Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

conboy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:12 pm Yep, It's working. Trying to understand the mixed units ... interesting!

conboy
I'm a dumbass, I forgot to include the manual. Added a Dropbox link for it.
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

StuccoFresco wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:17 pm Thanks, any feedback is welcome! Unfortunately, I still have no solution for the train-bunkers. :?
Solved! :D

See the other one: viewtopic.php?f=374&t=108101&p=956785#p956785
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

ColonelY wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:46 pm
StuccoFresco wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:17 pm Thanks, any feedback is welcome! Unfortunately, I still have no solution for the train-bunkers. :?
Solved! :D

See the other one: viewtopic.php?f=374&t=108101&p=956785#p956785
Magnific work, I implemented it for the 2.01 version and refreshed the link in the first post. Added a Changelog too.

Whoever doesn't want to reinstall the mod, it's sufficient to not use the "move via train" ability of the old Strongpoints.
conboy

Post by conboy »

Stucco,
I played the first scenario in the campaign. It was very good!
I liked the pace, balance, etc. and after I got used to the NATO counters, it was all good.
I like the multi-capable support units. Very cool!
I held all the initial objectives, so I didn't have to retreat.
Thanks, great job!

conboy
Screenshot 48.jpg
Screenshot 48.jpg (452.5 KiB) Viewed 6380 times
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

Wow that's impressive, I'd love a recap of your strategy! The first scenario is pretty hard so I'm definitely impressed.

Also, didn't the campaign end because of the Triumph? I can't remember if I set up the "decisive victory" as an end campaign condition.
conboy

Post by conboy »

No it went on to the next one.
Uh-Oh, after your comment I checked the scenario. It was defaulted to the 2nd difficulty level, not the 3rd. So I probably would not have beaten it like that on 3rd level. It was very close on the 2nd level for me.

conboy

I made a replay for you. Again, this was fun, so good job!
Yugo Scen 1.zip
(19.86 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

conboy wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:48 pm No it went on to the next one.
Uh-Oh, after your comment I checked the scenario. It was defaulted to the 2nd difficulty level, not the 3rd. So I probably would not have beaten it like that on 3rd level. It was very close on the 2nd level for me.

conboy

I made a replay for you. Again, this was fun, so good job!

Yugo Scen 1.zip
Ah yes the campaign is balanced and tested on Difficulty Level 3. Lvl2 iirc lowers every enemy unit's Strenght to 8, it's a pretty big deal. Try the next scenarios on Lvl3, you shouldn't have much problems with the second scenario, I think it's pretty easy.

The overall difficulty varies a lot from scenario to scenario. Going by primary objective only, 1st scenario is fairly hard, 2nd and 4th scenario are easy, 3rd is hard-ish, 5th is relatively easy, 6th is a bit hard. The campaign, however, rewards you for completing secondary objectives, and those are generally a bit harder to fulfill so even "easy" scenarios will reward a player who plays "above average". I find this a better solution than making every scenario too hard to even complete, but if playtesting see the player walking through the campaign I may rise the challenge in future versions. :twisted:

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”