Storm of Arrows - Late Lithuanians unable to deploy FF

Moderator: rbodleyscott

Cherebuschka
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Storm of Arrows - Late Lithuanians unable to deploy FF

Post by Cherebuschka »

This is first for me but in a open battle in multiplayer I was unable to deploy any of the chariot fortification available to the Lithuaniens (army list lithuaniens 1386-1500 with allies tatar 1340-1500 against burgundians 1430-1449). The game did tell me I should have some.

I tried several things :
  • First I believed it was because I dismounted some unit of cavalry, which I believed could have messed up the calculation of FF since dismounted cavalry can place them too. I tried mounting them back, no change. The problem didn't arise against AI either.
  • Second guess, it could be because of the artillery, I put the bombarb on the river while still selecting the force to see how far I could place it. Artillery use the deployement zone of light units but can install FF despite having none by themselves in the Polish, Lithuanian and Russian army. I use it often to have all chariot fortifications two square further than normally (could be an exploit in itself). Maybe being on the river mess up the FF for the rest of the army ? I tried moving it but that didn't change anything. I haven't got a similar map in my other test.
  • I tried to save and reload my turn to no avail.
I also can't deploy my skirmisher has far as the artillery in this battle

In the end, I couldn't reproduce this problem against the AI so I'm not sure what causing this.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Storm of Arrows - Late Lithuanians unable to deploy FF

Post by rbodleyscott »

I can't reproduce this in MP either.

I tried both of the things you thought might have caused it, but was still able to dpeloy FF.
I also can't deploy my skirmisher has far as the artillery in this battle
This is normal. Artillery were sometimes deployed right out in front.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

I also tried it in MP with the Lithuanians as side B, in case that made any difference. I was still unable to reproduce the issue.
Richard Bodley Scott

Cherebuschka
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Cherebuschka »

Thanks for your times in trying to solve this.
I will get back to you if I encounter it again or find something new.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

I'm also unable to deploy Field fortifications with Polish 1350 and Lithuanian allies vs French 1350 in multi-player mode, though it's not a problem in single player mode.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

GDod wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:46 pm I'm also unable to deploy Field fortifications with Polish 1350 and Lithuanian allies vs French 1350 in multi-player mode, though it's not a problem in single player mode.
The Polish 1350 army does not get Lithuanian allies, so I tried it with Hungarian allies vs French 1350 in MP. I was able to place the wagons.

Are you sure it was an open battle?
Richard Bodley Scott

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

rbodleyscott wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:35 am
GDod wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:46 pm I'm also unable to deploy Field fortifications with Polish 1350 and Lithuanian allies vs French 1350 in multi-player mode, though it's not a problem in single player mode.
The Polish 1350 army does not get Lithuanian allies, so I tried it with Hungarian allies vs French 1350 in MP. I was able to place the wagons.

Sorry Richard, it was Polish 1386-1454 with Lithuanian allies 1386-1500 AD vs French 1350
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

GDod wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:34 am

Sorry Richard, it was Polish 1386-1454 with Lithuanian allies 1386-1500 AD vs French 1350
I tried it again in MP with this matchup and was able to place FF.

Can you recall anything you might have done before trying to place FF?

Note that you have to complete force selection before you can place FF.

Did the game show a popup saying you could place FF?

If not, are you sure the game was an Open Battle scenario?
Richard Bodley Scott

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

rbodleyscott wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:55 am
GDod wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:34 am

I tried it again in MP with this matchup and was able to place FF.

Can you recall anything you might have done before trying to place FF?

Note that you have to complete force selection before you can place FF.

If not, are you sure the game was an Open Battle scenario?
That's odd Richard. Yes it's an open battle/medium size/pot luck terrain against gort7078. I attempted it the first time during deployment after the (FF) deployment icon failed to appear, played one turn and attempted to see if the FF deployment icon would appear on this turn, without result. So, we abandoned the game and tried a second time. Again, with no success. It works fine in single player but not multi player. I'll try it against a different player to see if happens again.

PS. 14/05 No, there is no (FF) option icon against Doyley50 either
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

I need to get to the bottom of the exact circumstances in order to reproduce the issue and search out any bug. To this end I need answers to the following questions please:

In the games where you were unable to place FF:

Did the briefing notes say you could place FF?

Were you using Auto force selection, or normal Force Selection?

Was the challenge Polish +Lithuanian allies vs French or French vs Polish +Lithuanian allies?

Were the troops for which you tried to place FF on a slope?

Did you use the Autodeploy button or not?

Stupid question, but did you choose any actual infantry? (You don't get any FF sections for dismounted cavalry if they were chosen as cavalry from Force Selection)
Richard Bodley Scott

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:32 am I need to get to the bottom of the exact circumstances in order to reproduce the issue and search out any bug. To this end I need answers to the following questions please:

In the games where you were unable to place FF: Reply - Unable to place FF

Did the briefing notes say you could place FF? Reply - Yes, Army list noted ability to place (FF)

Did the game show a popup saying you could place FF? Reply - from memory - deployment briefing noted 12 (?) field fortifications may be placed but no pop-up appeared for units when selected

Were you using Auto force selection, or normal Force Selection? Reply = Normal

Was the challenge Polish +Lithuanian allies vs French or French vs Polish +Lithuanian allies? Reply - Polish +Lithuanian allies vs French

Were the troops for which you tried to place FF on a slope? Reply - Some on a slope, Most on the flat

Did you use the Autodeploy button or not? Reply - No

Stupid question, but did you choose any actual infantry? (You don't get any FF sections for dismounted cavalry if they were chosen as cavalry from Force Selection) Reply - mostly infantry, billmen, max pav/crossbow, med archers, light handgunners and bow, bombard, light guns
I'll re-issue a challenge with our NZ group again and take screenshots to capture briefing notes and pop-ups.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

GDod wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:30 am I'll re-issue a challenge with our NZ group again and take screenshots to capture briefing notes and pop-ups.
Thanks
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

I have at last been able to reproduce this bug, and found the cause.

It happens only if your army has allies, and you add a sub-general before placing all of your FF.

Unfortunately the code that looks to see if the new general should use a name of the allied nationality, instead of the main army nationality, calls the ReadArmyList() function, which resets the Field Fortification number to 0.

It doesn't make any difference whether the game is SP or MP.

It is too late to safely fix this for the forthcoming v1.4.6 Rise of the Swiss update, but it will be fixed in a future update.
Richard Bodley Scott

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:42 pm I have at last been able to reproduce this bug, and found the cause.

It happens only if your army has allies, and you add a sub-general before placing all of your FF.

Unfortunately the code that looks to see if the new general should use a name of the allied nationality, instead of the main army nationality, calls the ReadArmyList() function, which resets the Field Fortification number to 0.

It doesn't make any difference whether the game is SP or MP.

It is too late to safely fix this for the forthcoming v1.4.6 Rise of the Swiss update, but it will be fixed in a future update.
Thanks for your hard work Richard. I'm glad I wasn't having a senior moment.
Badger73
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Badger73 »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:42 pm I have at last been able to reproduce this bug, and found the cause.
<snipped>
Would placing all Field Fortifications before adding any sub-generals work around this bug?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Badger73 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:34 pm
<snipped>
Would placing all Field Fortifications before adding any sub-generals work around this bug?
Yes.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval Tech Support”