No
67%

Total votes: 9

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Team Event Biblical to Renaissance

Post by GDod »

PeterThePainter wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:07 pm Note to Gavin. You may have missed that My Spanish Sertorius have challenged Brian's Macedonians and we are currently staring at each other across the battlefield while I file a report to the RSPCA about Brian's use of circus animals in his army. When I was at school the Macedonians didn't have Elephants and I studied the subject under the heading current affairs not ancient history.
When I was at school the world didn't have Macedonians :D Challenge duly recorded Peter. If I hear you've been throwing things at those elephants another letter will be on it's way to the RSPCA!
Table10.jpg
Table10.jpg (123.24 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

PeterThePainter wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:07 pm . When I was at school the Macedonians didn't have Elephants and I studied the subject under the heading current affairs not ancient history.
Peter this is the army of Alexander the Great after the conquest of Northern India.
I have this army in 28mm scale and have had much success using it on the wargames table.
The SPCA will not be required, but thanks Peter.
PeterThePainter
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by PeterThePainter »

KiwiWarlord wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:20 am
Peter this is the army of Alexander the Great after the conquest of Northern India.
I have this army in 28mm scale and have had much success using it on the wargames table.
The SPCA will not be required, but thanks Peter.
The 28mm army sounds marvellous, next time you lead them into battle can I have a picture I imagine they are quite a sight?

However, I am not sure where this going off to other countries and bringing things back will lead though, you could end up with bits of the Parthenon all over the place, for example.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

PeterThePainter wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:50 pm However, I am not sure where this going off to other countries and bringing things back will lead though, you could end up with bits of the Parthenon all over the place, for example.
I think there's a bit of the Parthenon even in Australia. In Newcastle I've heard they have the Parthenon milk-bar! (781 Hunter St, Newcastle, New South Wales 2302, to be precise) And not to foregt the classic song to commemorate it!

The Newcastle Song

"And they pulled up outside
the Parthenon milk bar
and standing outside
the Parthenon was this beautiful looking sheila.

Oooh! Oooh! said young Normie
who'd come top of his class in English..."
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

My Papal army won against Lascar's Ilkhanids, 42-9.

The terrain was greatly beneficial for me, with my left flank guarded by a waterway and woods on my right, while across the centre was a stream which disordered Dave's mounted forces. My army was mostly foot, defensive spearmen, mixed pavisier crossbowmen and spear and 4 supporting knights. By advancing to the stream edge my firepower blunted the force of the enemy cavalry who needed to find flanks to be effective. I think there was little that Dave could do to prevent this.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Congratulations and commiserations in equal measure.
Table11.jpg
Table11.jpg (123.32 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
markleslie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by markleslie »

markleslie Venetian 1530-1550 AD defeats Doyley50 Danish Imperial 1523-1542 AD.

Venetian troops routed: 30%
Danish troops routed: 61%

A stiff pike fight in the center with the more numerous Venetians initially losing badly. On the right, a short sharp exchange between arquebusiers at the edge of a wood quickly saw the Danes thrashed and running while on the Venetian left the brilliant Stradiots and mounted arquebusiers flitted amongst the enemy Gendarmes slapping arses and collecting canone by the score.

At the end of the day the center more than held and the impact of the Danes significant heavy mounted advantage was muted by constant attention from our lights and eventually, finally, the army as a whole bled out.

Win or lose, Venice always profits!
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by awesum4 »

"And they pulled up outside
the Parthenon milk bar
and standing outside
the Parthenon was this beautiful looking sheila.

Oooh! Oooh! said young Normie
who'd come top of his class in English..."

There was a sequel which hardly anyone bought.....about CinderFred who went to the ball and at midnight fled leaving behind his "size 8, regulation BHP issue, steel capped, safety boots"

If you look on youtube its on the life concert version as part of the song .....Newcastle song...by Bob Hudson
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The West leads by a hairbreath 3-2 with Mark holding the most individual wins
Congratulations Mark.gif
Congratulations Mark.gif (907.26 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
awesum4 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:38 am ...CinderFred who went to the ball and at midnight fled leaving behind his "size 8, regulation BHP issue, steel capped, safety boots"

If you look on youtube its on the life concert version as part of the song .....Newcastle song...by Bob Hudson
Nice. I'll definitely check out this piece of classical Greek history Andre! He didn't leave in a XJ Holden pulled by six Indian elephants did he?
Table12.jpg
Table12.jpg (123.32 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
Last edited by GDod on Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The West increases it's leads by 4-2 with PeterthePainter's latest victory but Mark still holds the most individual wins
Congratulations Peter.gif
Congratulations Peter.gif (98.5 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Table13.jpg
Table13.jpg (123.39 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
PeterThePainter

POLISH HUSSARS HAVE THEIR WINGS CLIPPED

PeterThePainter (Spanish 1649 -1688) beat Gdod (Polish 1618 -1632) 44 – 66.

Playing Gdod is often educational and frequently surprising. I was expecting the winged hussars to enjoy the wide open spaces on his right but Gdod deployed with no right wing, no centre and a massive left wing (Still playing the revolting peasants event eh?). In game conversation consisting of Gdod saying “You’ll regret that!” and “Don’t waste your cavalry chasing my lights, you’ll end up in trouble” as my cavalry tried to cope with his light horse superiority. He was invariably right. Fortunately I had a large numerical advantage (9,887 Spaniards against 7,541 Poles) and artillery and pike and shot units that needed little input from their general. At the end, even I had a tear in my eye at my as raw pike and shot units blasted a magnificent unit of Winged Hussars to Autobreak (they take a huge number of casualties before they break).

Well played to Gdod the gap between rout percentages was much closer throughout the game and initially he was ahead, in the end all those muskets counted. I will try to take the advice onboard but the Kiwiwarlord’s Ottoman light horse are being very annoying, will I be able to resist?

Stop Press: Andalusian joy is plain to see! ……..
Attachments
Gdod's Big Wing.jpg
Gdod's Big Wing.jpg (366.53 KiB) Viewed 1131 times
PeterThePainter

PeterThePainter (Andalusian 1050 -1154) beat Lascar (Rus 1054 -1154 with Hungarian Allies) 8 – 42.

Credit where credit is due I chose the army after looking through Simon Lancaster’s You Tube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr-hmT ... 54g/videos), well worth a look if you haven’t visited it yet, I liked the army. The Andalusians tended to have lighter armour than their Rus equivalent but as a consequence there were 500 more Andalusians on the battlefield. The melee combats were often not favourable to the Andalusians and this did mean careful thought on when and where to accept combat and thinking about ways to gain an edge.

Pot Luck terrain produced a flat plain (an Andalusian plain?) perfect for two cavalry heavy armies. Until turn 9 the battle was equal, with each army having 12% of their force routed. On turn 10 a unit of Andalusian Muslim spearmen rallied and mass panic affected the Rus army and the rout percentage moved to 8 – 32, the battle ended soon after.

Well played to Lascar.

Turn 4 - The battle lines approach, the clash is about to begin.
Attachments
Turn 4.jpg
Turn 4.jpg (331.88 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The West extends their lead 5-2. Can Alan and Brian turn the tide, or has the East got all the bases covered to hit it out of the ballpark in this mixed-metaphor East/West is Best Battlemania?
Congratulations on another victory Peter.gif
Congratulations on another victory Peter.gif (625.89 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
Table14.jpg
Table14.jpg (123.44 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

GDod wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:42 pm The West extends their lead 5-2. Can Brian turn the tide, or has the East got all the bases covered to hit it out of the ballpark in this mixed-metaphor East/West is Best Battlemania?
My Alexander the Great army does not have a chance against Peter's swarms of el cheapo Spanish Impact Foot so I fear the East is doomed....... :( :cry:
PeterThePainter

KiwiWarlord wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:25 am
GDod wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:42 pm The West extends their lead 5-2. Can Brian turn the tide, or has the East got all the bases covered to hit it out of the ballpark in this mixed-metaphor East/West is Best Battlemania?
My Alexander the Great army does not have a chance against Peter's swarms of el cheapo Spanish Impact Foot so I fear the East is doomed....... :( :cry:
Come on Brian, I am a novice at this game I am sure you can make it difficult (apart from just deploying to the rear of the deployment area and falling back - my guys will be exhausted by the time they get to your lines!). If the Sertorius succeed credit to Simon Lancaster again, if they fail blame their general.
Attachments
Turn7 - Where Did The Indian Archers Go.jpg
Turn7 - Where Did The Indian Archers Go.jpg (437.08 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Your position is strong Brian. Flanked by two villages and a wall of pike between...now only if you can do something about all those light skirmishers in front of them....
You can do this.gif
You can do this.gif (748.54 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
markleslie

Post by markleslie »

Battle amongst the clouds.

markleslie Italian (Ghibelline) 1155-1199 AD 54% defeated Doyley50 Norwegian 1155-1319 AD 62%.

High in a mountain pass bordered by several lakes the armies met on the road to Tanelorn and each refused to give way to the other.

A horde of the meanest gutter rats Venice could round up versus the silk and fur clad northern lords of Norway eager for plunder. What resulted was an epic blood bath. A handful or two more Huscarls and Venice may have been embarrassed, instead we yet again have the opportunity to remind our enemies that win or lose Venice always profits.

To Doyley50, SALUTE!
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Mark delivers three strikes. He's on a roll dear readers and it seems the Venetian juggernaut is unstoppable, not only on water, but they are equally indomitable on land.

However, the match-ups everyone's been waiting for has yet to be issued and accepted.

Can Alan's Danish make a magnificent come back, or are the going to become just another pastry dish? Can Gavin's FOGM Poles pole vault ahead, or are they just going to be used to tie up the Venetian gondolas ? Can the Grand vizier of the Great Ottoman empire champion the East and change their fortunes? Can lascar's mongol's with the support of Armenia stop the West? Moreover, though the match-up of Brian's Eastern Roman Empire versus Mark's Venetian Byzantine Empire representing the West seems incongruous, none can doubt that this will be another no-holds barred blood feud.

In the meantime, we must just wait and stand in awe of the Venetian dominance. Congratulations Mark.
repubblica di venezia trionfante.gif
repubblica di venezia trionfante.gif (88.77 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Table15.jpg
Table15.jpg (123.45 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Doyley50 »

Erm, perhaps I am doing something wrong, but when trying to set up the game I can't get a matchup between my Swedes 1649-1675 and Awesum' Rievers 1540-1603. Any advice?
markleslie

Post by markleslie »

Doyley50 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:14 am Erm, perhaps I am doing something wrong, but when trying to set up the game I can't get a matchup between my Swedes 1649-1675 and Awesum' Rievers 1540-1603. Any advice?
Have you tried clicking the "Army Filter List" box to off?

It then works for me.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”