Ever-Green League - 300 BC

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

deeter
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Ever-Green League - 300 BC

Post by deeter »

The origin of the EGL, as I understand it, was to create a relaxed place to set up games among players who like to chat and such and that we could become active or inactive participants at will. Karvon's suggestion would indicate a desire to make EGL a tournament-style competition and there are plenty of those already. Speaking of tournaments, the use of allies is always imposed for the length of the competition and is always declared in making a challenge, so why not here?

Personally, I dislike like using allies. I don't think they are implemented well in the game and can skew one type of army into something entirely different, making the clever selection of allies more decisive than battlefield skill. Those of you who played FOG I will remember that allies formed a separate part of the army with their own exclusive general and line of command. Now they are just ways to get more of a desired troop type. (Rant mode off.)

Deeter
angusosborne
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by angusosborne »

angusosborne (Sarmatians) defeats anderarcos11 (Gallic) 42-8

Tight battlefield with water on my left and woods on my right. In the gap between the Gauls had a line of chariots at the front, cavalry in the middle and warband behind, with some rabble and light troops in the wood.

Everything went the Sarmatians way. Their light troops and irregular foot swept through the woods while the lancers crushed the chariots and we're working through the cavalry when the Gauls broke
President of 110BC World Cup, Administrator of TDC V Imperial and WTC, Ever Green League Usurper (EGL 300 BC, EGL 900 AD, EGL 1240 AD)
Winner TDC III Dark Ages Division B
angusosborne

Post by angusosborne »

deeter wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:19 pm The origin of the EGL, as I understand it, was to create a relaxed place to set up games among players who like to chat and such and that we could become active or inactive participants at will. Karvon's suggestion would indicate a desire to make EGL a tournament-style competition and there are plenty of those already. Speaking of tournaments, the use of allies is always imposed for the length of the competition and is always declared in making a challenge, so why not here?

Personally, I dislike like using allies. I don't think they are implemented well in the game and can skew one type of army into something entirely different, making the clever selection of allies more decisive than battlefield skill. Those of you who played FOG I will remember that allies formed a separate part of the army with their own exclusive general and line of command. Now they are just ways to get more of a desired troop type. (Rant mode off.)

Deeter
I'm not going to penalize players who don't accept challenges. Let's keep it casual.

I could go either way on allies, but I think they should be allowed or not for both players
President of 110BC World Cup, Administrator of TDC V Imperial and WTC, Ever Green League Usurper (EGL 300 BC, EGL 900 AD, EGL 1240 AD)
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

I have no great passion for use of allies, so fine either way.

Any further feedback on the idea of simply having an Ancients and a Medieval ladder or our folks happy with the current fixture on a year?

Regards,

Karvon
Chaos Tourney and Little Wars Organizer, TDC V Early Medieval Coordinator
angusosborne

Post by angusosborne »

Karvon wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:37 pm I have no great passion for use of allies, so fine either way.

Any further feedback on the idea of simply having an Ancients and a Medieval ladder or our folks happy with the current fixture on a year?

Regards,

Karvon
I'm still mulling it over personally. Not sure
angusosborne

Post by angusosborne »

Karvon wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:37 pm I have no great passion for use of allies, so fine either way.

Regards,

Karvon
It might add more variety. At the moment we have four Macedonian and successor armies
SawyerK
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by SawyerK »

The game between SawyerK and Deeter has ended with no result. The initial game was halted due to a bad map and the follow-up discussion on the use of allies brought us into the start of the TDC tournament so we just decided to stop the match until a better time.
angusosborne

Post by angusosborne »

SawyerK wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:02 pm The game between SawyerK and Deeter has ended with no result. The initial game was halted due to a bad map and the follow-up discussion on the use of allies brought us into the start of the TDC tournament so we just decided to stop the match until a better time.
Thanks. I'll update the google sheet. What's your opinion on allies? In or out?
SawyerK

Post by SawyerK »

I am willing to play without allies but we would have to recast the armies. Having an army dependent on medium foot is suicidal without some type of terrain. As was said, dropping allies would probably leave us with armies focusing on heavy foot and heavy cavalry.
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Karvon Greeks drew with dim30 Selucids 0-0.

The Greeks deployed onto a series of steep hills and sneered down at the sea of Selucid pikes and assorted mounted who wisely declined the opportunity to batter themselves senseless.
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Karvon Selucids challengs angusosborne Gauls.

PM sent
angusosborne

Post by angusosborne »

Karvon wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:25 am Karvon Selucids challengs angusosborne Gauls.

PM sent
I accept. Thanks for the challenge
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

angusosborne wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:29 am
Karvon wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:25 am Karvon Selucids challengs angusosborne Gauls.

PM sent
I accept. Thanks for the challenge
Game posted

pw karvon

PM sent
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Karvon's Selucids defeated angusosborne's Gauls 54-26 for a 4-1 win.

Our mounted, supported by lights and medium foot, drove off the Gallic chariots and cavalry screening their left and then worked their way around the enemy flank, Our phalanx took up a position on a small hill on our right, holding off waves of warbands that lapped up and around us just long enough for the mounted to finish their envelopment and strike the decisive blow.
Holien
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Holien »

Holien Rhoxolani 350 BC - 24 AD challenges ericdoman1 Kyrenean Greek 321-276 BC

PM to be sent after this.

I am now back after a bit of a rest over summer....
SawyerK

Post by SawyerK »

SawyerK with the Ptolemaic 320-218 BC army

challenges

dim30 leading the Greek 460-281 BC army.

dim30 accepted my challenge and a match has been created with the password set at 'Greek'.

Match began Sep 9
Last edited by SawyerK on Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dim30
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by dim30 »

Challenge accepted Sawyerk.
(But I can't play this saturday and sunday)
Tell me the pw.
ericdoman1
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by ericdoman1 »

Eric with Kyrenean Greek and Libyan allies defeated Holien with Rhoxolani and Sarmatian allies

61 - 33 - (4 - 2)

I was lucky with a number of spear charges against lancers, although I prob didn't need to charge them. Tough game and if Holien had been luckier, he would have won.
SawyerK

Post by SawyerK »

SawyerK with the Lysimachids drew his match against dim30 and his Greek army by 46-35.

The battle began with offset positioning and it took almost 8 moves to bring the armies together. At that point, SawyerK grew impatient and made a crucial attack error that exposed his right flank. He avoided a quick defeat only by squaring the pikes on that flank and attacking on the left.

As the match progressed the Greek hoplites dispatched almost all of the Lysimachid medium foot and defeated the unsquared pikes by frontal and flank attacks. The single Greek attempt to attack a squared pike unit resulted in the routing of two hoplites and the disruption of a third so dim30 prudently spent his remaining time mopping up Lysimachid light foot and cavalry.

The score should have ended at 52 to 35 but a Lysimachid pike rallied on the very last turn before nightfall. The Lysimachids were fortunate to escape with a draw after their egregious error but at least they recognized their mistake early enough to save most of their pikes.
angusosborne

Post by angusosborne »

SawyerK wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:15 pm SawyerK with the Lysimachids drew his match against dim30 and his Greek army by 46-35.

The battle began with offset positioning and it took almost 8 moves to bring the armies together. At that point, SawyerK grew impatient and made a crucial attack error that exposed his right flank. He avoided a quick defeat only by squaring the pikes on that flank and attacking on the left.

As the match progressed the Greek hoplites dispatched almost all of the Lysimachid medium foot and defeated the unsquared pikes by frontal and flank attacks. The single Greek attempt to attack a squared pike unit resulted in the routing of two hoplites and the disruption of a third so dim30 prudently spent his remaining time mopping up Lysimachid light foot and cavalry.

The score should have ended at 52 to 35 but a Lysimachid pike rallied on the very last turn before nightfall. The Lysimachids were fortunate to escape with a draw after their egregious error but at least they recognized their mistake early enough to save most of their pikes.
Nice report, but according to the spreadsheet and your challenge your army was Ptolemaic. I know, all those successors look the same

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”