Planetary Supremacy Feedback

Weemdog
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Planetary Supremacy Feedback

Post by Weemdog »

Feedback about new single player campaign mode…

I believe a good single-player campaign needs to have depth, be rewarding, and have a good replay value. I think the Preview Build is a step in the right direction, and I understand it is not complete. The following are just some ideas for improvement. I realize you are a small studio and there are limits.

-The current randomized maps are great. Because they are different every time, it certainly adds to the replay value. If the campaign had only these maps, I think it would be fine. In order to take it to another level, a couple more would be nice. I think a Settlement-type map would work good…Urban fighting with lots of obstacles is fun. You could even throw in some from the original campaign. No need to recreate the wheel every time, as some of those maps were so much fun. And the final AI battles need to be on faction-specific maps.

-Another way to add depth would be to have each map type provide certain benefits to each of the races. Maybe the Necron Desert map provides some benefit to Necrons when they are within a certain distance of the tomb (MP, armor, range, etc.), or on the map at all. You could also have benefits for certain races based on the map type. It would add a layer of depth to my decision making process for selecting certain battles.

-In addition to maps, if each battle had the possibility for more than 1 game mode, it would help with depth and replay value. Modes that were in the original campaign would work nicely, and you could even use the same map. Take a point on the opponent’s side of the map and hold it for a certain number of turns. Track down and kill a certain unit. Defend an area of the map for a certain number of turns. Recover a certain number of artifacts scattered over the map. I want to see more than just Exterminatus.

-I love that you are adding additional sub-factions. Obviously, these sub-factions aren’t entirely fleshed out yet and only have a handful of units. And as you develop more sub-factions, the depth will grow. But as it stands now, it gets a bit old fighting the same 3 Sisters units for 3 or 4 matches in a row. For now, it would be nice if the Sisters factions had an additional melee unit and a beefier mech-type unit to help change things up (just 2 additional units would enhance replayability greatly). As it is, they just shoot at me, so the army I bring can be the same every time. But, if they had a melee unit or high-armor high-damage unit available, and I wasn’t sure which they would bring, it would force me to change up my tactics every time, adding replayability.

-Right now, I feel like the single-player mode is just a front for a bunch of skirmish games that aren’t really connected. I would like to see a narrative, even if it is basic. Why am I on this planet? Why am I trying to conquer this territory (other than to get a 100 point army boost)? Is there a shield I need to destroy? Is the enemy massing troops for an attack? Did the Necrons just awaken/the Tyranids just land? Even if it is just fluff, a narrative helps immerse me in the game. For now, I may as well just be playing a bunch of skirmish matches. The narrative would also help me select my army. Maybe it tells me there is a SM mech force that is terrorizing the area, so I know they will have tanks and dreads.

-I would like to see more varied rewards (think wargear) for winning each battle. As it is, all there are, are different army point increases or extra AP or ability cool-downs, which aren’t really that exciting. I think the way it was done in the original campaign was wonderful. I will say, I want to start with all my abilities and not have to unlock them, so keep that the same. But some of the upgrades were for HP, armor, or damage. That could easily be incorporated and would give me a reason to fight certain battles over other ones and make the reward more important.

-To go along with rewards for winning battles, an idea would to be able to associate a certain reward for winning a battle or holding a point (side quest), say 20 HP increase or 1 Armor increase, with a certain unit, making it a Veteran. This could also allow me to give it a name (either automatic, or I get to pick). Now I have made my army better and I have more of a vested interest in that unit.

-Changing up the battle point values would also be nice. At the beginning, a smaller map with smaller point values would ease people into the fight. But even along the way, maybe a 1000 vs 2500 would be fun…and could result in a bigger reward. I’m just advocating changing things up a bit points-wise, instead of just all sides continue to grow their armies and the battles just get bigger and bigger.

-Varying starting locations would be nice. Not knowing where the enemy was coming from would make the first couple turns more important and more fun than just storming forward knowing where the main battle will take place. Maybe, the enemy could even come from multiple directions.

-I understand peoples’ issues with the hex map. I think it’s fine as it’s just an abstraction. But adding impassable terrain, narrow canyons, or different shapes of the map would create more strategic thinking opportunities. Also, the map types (terrain) is totally random. It would be nice if the map were organized by terrain and looked like a real place versus just a grid of different battles and maps.

-I like the idea of having multiple armies, and only being able to attack neighboring hexes with a specific army. Maybe the bonus for taking a certain hex is adding a new army. And any one of your armies can defend any one of your territories. So when you are attacked, you decide which army defends. You might have 1 army set to go against Necrons and 1 set to go against Nids. You can also use 1 AP to move an army. Would add a strategic layer to where each army was and which you decide to use.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks again for listening. And thanks for creating what is, in my opinion, the best WH40K game I’ve ever played.

Return to “Planetary Supremacy”