Can anything be done to stop the suicidal Armor?

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

kverdon
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Can anything be done to stop the suicidal Armor?

Post by kverdon »

Is there anything that can be done to change the AI to keep it from having Armor units from attacking infantry in cities, forests, bocage etc and getting easily wrecked?

I was playing a user made campaign set in Normandy and some of the later scenarios were a bit ruined as the AI would crazily attack my heavy Inf in towns or bocage and get themselves easily trashed. Sometimes, if the inf was backed up by an AT gun, the AI armor would just suicide it self with 3 or more tanks repeatedly attacking. Or, it would move into the bocage, loose half it strength in the attack and then be easy picking next turn for the inf. It’s a bit weird seeing a King Tiger get whacked in 2 turns while only doing 1 or 2 damage to the inf. Seems like there should be some sort of check that the AI does before attacking to see how badly it is going to loose before it attacks or move itself into deadly terrain for no gain.
VirgilInTheSKY
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: Can anything be done to stop the suicidal Armor?

Post by VirgilInTheSKY »

That does not sound right at all. AI should be able to avoid attacking target with a bad exchange rate as long as it is not tricked by things like Provocator and Camouflage hero.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Every unit has an 'aggressiveness' setting, and there is also a global setting of aggressiveness for each scenario's player.

Lower that configuration will solve your issue.

Personally though I generally set it high, to prevent the RoadBlock problem, but tweak it for individual key units sometimes.

It's a scale that goes from 0 to 100, maybe past 100.

At 0, such a unit will almost never attacks. At 25 it will only attack in positive trades. Around 50 it will engage in an equally damaging attack. 80-100 I find such units will throw themselves at any target in range, including tanks engaging entrenched infantry.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Kerensky wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:23 pm At 0, such a unit will almost never attacks. At 25 it will only attack in positive trades. Around 50 it will engage in an equally damaging attack. 80-100 I find such units will throw themselves at any target in range, including tanks engaging entrenched infantry.
Does it relate in any way to the unit's remaining strength as well? I relatively often see 1-2 strength units that do not retreat nor reinforce and just attack for zero damage and get wrecked, even if they are alone and this does not serve the potential role of draining ammo before another attack.
kverdon

Post by kverdon »

Thanks Karensky!!! I hope the campaign designer reads this and takes an opportunity to learn from a Master!
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

Tassadar wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:25 pm Does it relate in any way to the unit's remaining strength as well? I relatively often see 1-2 strength units that do not retreat nor reinforce and just attack for zero damage and get wrecked, even if they are alone and this does not serve the potential role of draining ammo before another attack.
from what i´ve learned so far, AI prestige being low and randomness setting around 10% and less cause units with 1-2 str to suicide a lot. haven´t found a way to prevent that yet.

ser,
Thomas
DefiantXYX

Post by DefiantXYX »

The ai could really need some improvements.
There are often situations that are just dumb, like very well entranched infantrie units keep attacking my tanks, while they almost got killed, just to kill one of my tanks.
Some scenarios only work that way, like stalingrad or moscow. I could never reach all targets if the ai would just stop these silly attacks.

Same goes for the airforce, if the AI would attack my fighters first it would be very tough. So I just put some bombers around my fighters and the AI is wasting everything.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”