Field of Glory II: Ancients - “Mithridatic Wars” Tournament

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
MarcoT.
Slitherine
Slitherine

Field of Glory II: Ancients - “Mithridatic Wars” Tournament

Post by MarcoT. »

We are pleased to announce another Field of Glory 2 public tournament. This will be played using the normal Field of Glory 2 Multiplayer system and our automated tournament system.

Anyone who has Field of Glory II can enter. You do not need to own any DLCs to enter.

To enter, go to the tournament page here:

The general tournament rules can be found here:

The first round will commence on Thursday 26th May 2022 at 10.00 am GMT. No further entries can be accepted after the tournament has begun.

Specific tournament rules:

This tournament will involve five rounds. Each round will last 14 days. The battles will be Medium-sized custom battles:

1) Kappadokia 100 BC: Pontic 110-85 BC vs Kappadokian 260 BC-17 AD. Open Battle. Mediterranean Hilly.

2) Pontus 89 BC: Pontic 110-85 BC vs Bithynian 297-74 BC. Open Battle. Mediterranean Agricultural.

3) Greece 85 BC: Pontic 110-85 BC vs Roman 105-25 BC. Open Battle. Mediterranean Agricultural.

4) Armenia 69 BC: Armenian (Tigranes) 83-69 BC with Pontic 84-47 BC allies vs Roman 105-25 BC. Open Battle. Mediterranean Hilly.

5) Pontus 67 BC: Pontic 84-47 BC vs Roman 105-25 BC. Open Battle. Mediterranean Agricultural.

Games are paired, so each matchup will be played both ways. Each player will be able to choose his forces using the normal force selection system. In each round, all players will be playing on the same randomly generated map for both games.

First round pairings will be selected randomly, subsequent rounds using the Swiss Chess system. Nobody will play the same opponent in more than one round.

The scoring system is as follows:

• If a game runs to the turn limit, each side scores points equal to the enemy % routed at the turn limit. If the game times out, adjustments may be made, depending on how far the game has progressed and who took longer over their turns – see below.

• If one army breaks, the victorious player scores 60 points plus the difference between the enemy % routed and his own % routed. The loser scores points equal to the winner's % routed.

Examples:

1) If Ben defeats Tamas's army, and has inflicted 45% routed on Tamas, and Tamas has inflicted 15% on Ben, Ben will score 60 + (45 – 15) = 90, Tamas will score 15.

2) However, if Ben defeated Tamas’s army by inflicting 62% routed on Tamas, and Tamas had inflicted 56% routed on Ben, Ben would get 60 + (62 – 56) = 66 points, and Tamas would get 56.

3) If the game is unfinished (or it reached the turn limit) with Ben inflicting 20% routed on Tamas, and Tamas inflicting 10% routed on Ben, Ben would score 20, and Tamas would score 10. (Provided that between them they have played at least 24 turns in all – see below).

Note that this system rewards aggressive play over desultory skirmishing. If you rout an enemy unit then hide for the rest of the game, both players will get extremely low scores - lower than if they played hard and lost.

Byes:

If an odd number of players sign up for the tournament, one player will get a bye in each round. In the first round this is random. In subsequent rounds it will be the player with the lowest score. The score for a BYE is 75 points for each game.

Round times and timing out:

Each round will last 14 days.

[Edited:]

Any battles that are not completed by the end of the round will be timed out. The player who has had the game in his “My Turns” box the longest overall will be the one who is deemed to be timed out. This will not normally incur any penalties, unless insufficient turns have been played: If the timed-out player has played less than 18 turns, his score will be reduced proportionately, and his opponent will be granted (100 - the timed out player's adjusted score) if this value exceeds his current score. (This means he will get the full BYE score unless the timed out player's adjusted score is more than 25).
If the timed-out player has played less than 6 turns, he will not be included in the draw for the next round. This is to prevent someone else’s enjoyment being spoiled by being drawn against someone who has apparently dropped out of the tournament.
Holien
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Field of Glory II: Ancients - “Mithridatic Wars” Tournament

Post by Holien »

Hi this is not a Medieval it should be showing as an Ancients?

Can it be updated the title? The Mediveal one is "Field of Glory II Medieval Rise of the Swiss"
anderarcos11
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by anderarcos11 »

Anybody have info about field of glory II medieval tournament?
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

anderarcos11 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:56 pm Anybody have info about field of glory II medieval tournament?
https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=109206
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
markleslie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by markleslie »

Medieval Mithridatic Wars would be cool!
Kashtronomical
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Kashtronomical »

Is there some way to get email notification about new tournaments?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Kashtronomical wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:14 am Is there some way to get email notification about new tournaments?
You mean to tell you when they will happen? Sadly not, but I will suggest it to the folk in charge.
Richard Bodley Scott

Kashtronomical
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Kashtronomical »

rbodleyscott wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:03 am
Kashtronomical wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:14 am Is there some way to get email notification about new tournaments?
You mean to tell you when they will happen? Sadly not, but I will suggest it to the folk in charge.
Yes, that's what I meant. The email notification for new turns is excellent. It would be great if we could get something like that for new tournaments/events.

Thank you for passing along the suggestion!
Holien

Post by Holien »

Really annoyed that I did not get a set of messages about turns waiting from my Oppo I should have just logged on and checked anyway in the morning, but just checked tonight and two turns and no e-mails. Just a warning to folks as with this being a timed tourney... Bloody annoying...

Yet as I was doing the turn I saw another pop in and I did get a message tonight!! You can not rely on the e-mail messages!
Redpossum
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by Redpossum »

Holien wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:12 pm Really annoyed that I did not get a set of messages about turns waiting from my Oppo I should have just logged on and checked anyway in the morning, but just checked tonight and two turns and no e-mails. Just a warning to folks as with this being a timed tourney... Bloody annoying...

Yet as I was doing the turn I saw another pop in and I did get a message tonight!! You can not rely on the e-mail messages!
I find with Gmail that sometimes things that usually go to my Inbox are instead routed to Spam folder. I had the same, "how is it my turn when I didn't get an email?" experience, but when I looked in Spam, lo and behold there it was.

In any case, this first round was a wild one. In both games, the Kappa Doki Doki Run Away Club had to be driven to the 60% level. It wasn't pretty, but it was highly entertaining, and that's what I play for.
MrCrow
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by MrCrow »

Hi, I've had a problem. While I was playing my turn, my PC freeze (maybe due to heat) and I've been forced to turn it off, wait some minutes, restart it and replay the turn (to be honest, with an outcome the has been even worst then the previous one). Am i risking to be banned for this? Is there anything I can do in order to avoid a possible ban? I'm even willing to surrender and concede the victory to my opponent if this is necessary to avoid a possible ban. I am a very fair person and I would never replay a turn in order to get a different outcome.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

MrCrow wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:41 pm Hi, I've had a problem. While I was playing my turn, my PC freeze (maybe due to heat) and I've been forced to turn it off, wait some minutes, restart it and replay the turn (to be honest, with an outcome the has been even worst then the previous one). Am i risking to be banned for this? Is there anything I can do in order to avoid a possible ban? I'm even willing to surrender and concede the victory to my opponent if this is necessary to avoid a possible ban. I am a very fair person and I would never replay a turn in order to get a different outcome.
I think it is sufficient that you have posted this issue. If you are contacted by the PBEM team, then you can point them at this post.
Richard Bodley Scott

tyronec
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by tyronec »

I think my game for round 4 against FireknightBarcelona has been scored incorrectly.
He was leading 55-46 on T15, the game was timed out.
So his score is 15/18 * 55 = 45.8 which has been recorded as 46 - correct.
I think I should get 75 but instead was awarded 54. Don't know where 54 comes from...
M1.jpg
M1.jpg (329.27 KiB) Viewed 715 times
M2.jpg
M2.jpg (10.09 KiB) Viewed 715 times
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

tyronec wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:50 am I think my game for round 4 against FireknightBarcelona has been scored incorrectly.
He was leading 55-46 on T15, the game was timed out.
So his score is 15/18 * 55 = 45.8 which has been recorded as 46 - correct.
I think I should get 75 but instead was awarded 54. Don't know where 54 comes from...
M1.jpgM2.jpg
You don't get the full BYE score if it is fairly close to the 18 turns.

I cannot quote the full formula as I do not have the code base.
Richard Bodley Scott

tyronec
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by tyronec »

OK, maybe review the rules because there is no mention of a reduction there for the non timed out player.
'If the timed-out player has played less than 18 turns, his score will be reduced proportionately, and his opponent will be granted the BYE score if it exceeds his current score.'
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

tyronec wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:40 pm OK, maybe review the rules because there is no mention of a reduction there for the non timed out player.
'If the timed-out player has played less than 18 turns, his score will be reduced proportionately, and his opponent will be granted the BYE score if it exceeds his current score.'
Fair enough
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

It turns out that the timed-out player's adjusted score is adjusted by the the ratio of the number of turns played / 18 as you deduced.

The non-timed-out player's score, however, is upgraded to (100 - the timed out player's adjusted score), if this is higher than his actual score.

So the non-timed out player will always score at least 75 points, unless the timed-out player's adjusted score is more than 25.

I have adjusted the tournament rules for the next tournaments accordingly.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”