Mayen - Game 3. Early Hungarian v Anglo-Danish

Forum for anyone to post reports of their battles and pictures, otherwise known as After Action Reports.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Mayen - Game 3. Early Hungarian v Anglo-Danish

Post by dave_r »

Facing an Anglo-Danish this time. Loads of Armoured Offensive Spearmen, although thank fully only in sixes. I think there was a Scottish ally which provided the Medium Foot.

My army was:
IC, 2xTC
3x4 Superior, Armoured, Undrilled, Knights, Lancers Swordsmen
4x4 Superior, Unprotected, Undrilled, Cavalry, Bow Swordsmen
4x4 Average, Unprotected, Undrilled, Light Horse, Bow Swordsmen
3x6 Poor, Unprotected, Undrilled, Light Foot, Bow

I decided to flank march with a single battle group of Light Horse so I could use my battle groups on table to encircle the heavy foot. With no shooting from the Anglo-Danes I could cope with two generals on table. At least that was the plan...

Terrain looked as follows (and yes, that's a bottle of beer at 9am in the morning...)

Deployment and initial moves

The beer levels depicting the relative confidence of each general :)

The initial charges had me lose a cavalry unit after I threw a series of one's and my opponent threw four sixes. Just awesome.

After a significant amount of plodding forward the Danes were getting close to shoving me off table. The knights on the left had destroyed one Battle Group of Spearmen. Largely after they had survived losing the melee 5-2 and then thrown a double six and killing the opposition general, thus disrupting them. They were now hunting for targets

My knights had ground down the enemy knights who were down to a couple of bases, but needed to be quick as I believe the technical description would be "surrounded"

One of the critical moments in the game. My cavalry had wandered forward for a speculative pot shot and disrupted the armoured superior spearmen. My knights then broke the enemy knights and the spearmen then dropped to fragmented and broke when my knights charged them.

It wasn't all grand however as I then got charged in the rear by yet more spearmen

My cavalry had run as far as they could and would have to fight, hopefully to give the knights time to hit the spearmen in the rear. Some cavalry had also evaded into a single line and were now eyeing up the rear of the Anglo-Danish spearmen with increasing interest.

Given my flank march never arrived I had to take the camp with on-table light horse.

I forgot to take any more photos, but my cavalry did fairly well in the rough going following some spectacular dice by my opponent. After the initial impact and two rounds of melee, my cavalry were completely unscathed and one of the spearmen was disrupted.

I charge both units in the rear which broke both of them.

That gave me the eleven attrition points I needed for the loss of seven attrition points of my own. A 20-5.

The knights on the right breaking the enemy knights was crucial - resulting in the armoured spearmen routing without getting their weapons dirty. This allowed me to then hit the units in the centre thus breaking the army.
Evaluator of Supremacy

Return to “Field of Glory AAR's”