Thoughts on some weaker units that need some tweaking.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war. Experience every bone-rattling explosion and soul-crushing charge in Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector, the definitve battle-scale game of turn-based strategy and fast-paced combat that takes you to the battlefields of the 41st Millenium.
S-Tier-Andrew
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Thoughts on some weaker units that need some tweaking.

Post by S-Tier-Andrew »

Blood Angels:
Aggressors: I find them weak because they're very expensive and have little practical use. You pay almost double the points for them as you would intercessors and they have less health overall which makes them inefficient as a tanky unit. Both their weapons have very low range, which doesn't work well with their limited mobility, and neither do appropriate damage for the points you invest in them. Their melee is good, but isn't reliable against evasive targets and BA has many other units that deal far more efficient melee damage. And their fragstorm grenade is useless against anything except gaunts.

So, first of all, they need more durability. Ramping their health up to 125 per model and upping their armor from 7 to 8 would make them substantially harder to bring down. Their boltstorm shooting should have damage improved from 2-3 up to 3-5 with accuracy fall-off brought down to 5. The fragstorm should have more damage and ap 2. The flamestorm should have a range of two tiles. I think it would also be necessary to bring their base point cost down to 120.

Hellblasters: Their main issue is that they are only really effective against high armored single targets like tyrannofex. I think they need extra damage vs medium to heavy infantry. I think they deserve a slight damage boost from 6-9 to 8-11 and give plasma incinerators a bonus 25% crit chance against a target with armor lower than the weapon's armor piercing. Alongside this, make it so that they target three models at a time if they can (This should apply to the heavy variant as well). The idea behind this is to make them more effective at killing necron units, making their overcharged shots more dangerous to units at armor 6 like praetorians and destroyers, and increasing their damage overall.

Dreadnaught: The dreadnaught is very expensive for the health and damage it brings. I think its health should be boosted up to 350 and it's furioso fist should also deal somewhere around 30% more damage than what it does now.

Assault Terminators: The recent nerf to their teleport damage makes them way less useful now. You can't expect a group of two of them to kill any durable hqs any more unless they get a rear hit. As such, I think terminators need more durability and a lower point cost such that they are more survivable for their point cost once they teleport in. I would boost their health to 145, give base terminators a 10% damage invulnerability and lower their base cost to 165. Thunderhammer terminators would have a total damage invulnerability of 20% and cost +25 for a total of 190.

Tyranids:

Thornback: This is the weakest unit in the tyranid roster in my opinion. It has good offensive capabilities, but it has terrible health for its cost. With less than double the hp per point cost at armor 7, it is the least durable non-hq unit per points spent in the game. I think its health should be boosted up to 320 and it deserves to have 8 armor.

Exocrine: While not necessarily a bad unit, it is very reliant on its special ability to one-shot space marine units to make up for its point cost. Every other shot it fires just doesn't do good damage and necrons sort of counter it with reanimation protocols. I think it deserves a rework. It's base attack should have lowered damage down to roughly 45, but with splash damage such that it can take a unit of intercessors down below half-health. Its ability would change the attack into a single target shot that does massive damage. This way, it would no longer threaten to outright delete important units like sanguinary guard and it would be able to fire threatening shots every turn instead of just the two where it uses its ability.

Hormagaunts: They're very easy to kill for a unit designed for melee. Their leap ability should have a range of two tiles. This just gives them greater resource for getting in close which they very much need. They would have to take on the swarm bonus they have from the tile they leap from for this to be an effective ability. I also think they should have their health boosted up to 30.

Necrons:

Tomb blades: while the tesla carbine variant is very strong, the other two loadout options are underwhelming. I would suggest lowering the base cost to 90, and bring the tesla weapon cost up to 30 such that the tesla variant costs a total of 120 points.

Lychguard: They are generally outclassed by triarch praetorians. Praetorians have similar durability with more mobility, as well as a ranged attack and a melee attack superior to the more durable shield variant. The warscythe variant is too expensive. I think their hp should go up to 85, their cost should be lowered to 120, and the warscythe option should only cost +10.

Flayed ones: They are too expensive for what they do. They only have two practical uses: teleporting to capture a point in strategic command, or tying up individual units. Their stacks have the potential to be powerful but they will never live long enough to use them against a competent opponent. I think they should have their cost moved down to 60 and they should have more evasion.
espressokiller
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Thoughts on some weaker units that need some tweaking.

Post by espressokiller »

I'd add Genestealers to this list.

I'm with you on the Thornback; couldn't have said it better.

I think the Exo needs slash on it's base attack but I like that it has anti-elite and anti-vehicle damage. Maybe it could have two different firing modes instead of special ammo? Give it a stronger anti-armor attack and a weaker splash damage attack. At least then it has a wide range of targets throughout the game.

Hormagaunts definitely need a health boost to be effective. It would be awesome if their leap ability could be used for movement too. Hopping over low terrain or up/down from platforms would make them a really cool unit. Basically the opposite of the Hover ability.
NECROSTRATUM
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Thoughts on some weaker units that need some tweaking.

Post by NECROSTRATUM »

Yeah Aggressors, were taken out of my army. For what we pay for them we do not get returned. I agree with all you stated. I used 8X Inceptors, 2X Sanguinary Guard and 3X Baal Predators + the required story line characters. Beat the game this evening. I think the Inceptors are the best bang for your buck if they have the twin plasma pistols. SG Melee though is pretty atrocious considering they are an Tier 1 SF unit like DC.

I'd like to see an option for a Death Company Dreadnought as an upgrade in the progression tree.

Baal Predator heavy Flammer is weaksauce. Also the model is completely wrong. The turret is mirrored and the mag packs are not present. It is equipped with the Heavy Flammer tanks at all times. And GW signed off on this?
Peace through Superior Firepower.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector”