Development wishlist

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Development wishlist

Post by kronenblatt »

This is now a sticky thread in which everyone can put suggestions for further development of Field of Glory II: Ancients. (Thanks, RBS!)

If you agree with proposals, please also feel free to reply to such posts, reflecting that. This in order for developers to understand whether there’s a wider demand or not.
Last edited by kronenblatt on Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Development wishlist

Post by rbodleyscott »

Moved and stickied.
Richard Bodley Scott

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

I’d like an option to set visible range from default 20 to an integer of something between say 4 and 32 when setting up a game. Alternatively, if not possible, some predefined levels to choose Visibility Range from; e.g., Very Short (4), Short (12), Medium (20, default), Long (32).

This would create some very interesting dynamics in terms of gameplay, tactics, recon, manoeuvres, etc.
Last edited by kronenblatt on Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Replays.

A pre-reform Macedon army list.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:25 pm Replays.
+1.

Would be great for the two involved players themselves as well as the player community as a whole: to watch, discuss, teach, and learn.

And excellent marketing for the game and Byzantine Games & Slitherine due to being more visible on the internet (YouTube et al).

Rosedelio
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Rosedelio »

kronenblatt wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:32 pm
+1.

Would be great for the two involved players themselves as well as the player community as a whole: to watch, discuss, teach, and learn.

And excellent marketing for the game and Byzantine Games & Slitherine due to being more visible on the internet (YouTube et al).
Yes! Being able to share replays with others would also be helpful for visibility.
Touhou mod for FOGII: Medieval: https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111582
My FOGII and FOGII Medieval focused channel: https://www.youtube.com/@Rosedelio
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

2-player campaigns. Would this encourage more people to try MP? If they first started with a 2-player campaign against someone they already know?
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Option not to preview map during army selection, you only know map type. Doesn't really work with mirrors, but it's used in some mods by Schweetness and it feels much more realistic.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

deeter
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by deeter »

FOG I originally had no option to view the battlefield before army selection, but the players campaigned for the chance to select the battlefield from among three choices. That worked rather well.

Also, I would love the see two-player campaigns as the AI doesn't offer much challenge.

Deeter
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Cheap supply wagon unit that gave some modest ammo bonuses to missile units.
deeter

Post by deeter »

While we're wishing, how about bringing back the morale hit for being too close to the map edge?

Deeter
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Doyley50 »

Option for visible range
2 player campaigns
No preview map option
All these would be great developments.
Latro
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Latro »

A way to view/print the unit strengths of all the units, at end of game.
Not just your own units that are still on the board.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I would like the game to offer a "tick-box" menu of different options that could be used in the set-up of the game. The argument against this seems to be that this would fracture the playing community. I do understand this point of view, but I think it is largely-based on a false assumption that players would not appreciate the extra variety this would give. I also think this argument against weakens in the longer term as the game approaches the end of its development cycle as variety is one of the things most likely to keep long-established players returning to the game (a lively forum with competitions and campaigns is also very important in this regard).

So this tick-box menu could offer many of the things that modders have suggested during the course of the game's development, including things like "anarchy charging", stricter command and control rules, modified flank charges, camps, supply wagons and so on.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

stockwellpete wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:31 am I would like the game to offer a "tick-box" menu of different options that could be used in the set-up of the game.

I agree. The question is how to make that commercially viable and attractive to the developer: I guess through an additional DLC enabling this menu, making it available to players having purchased the DLC.

Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

Adding in the Editor some objects present in P&S, such as CityBlocks, Broken walls, Light and Medium Walls(Palisade)/Corners/Gates...

Making several different Broken walls, from lightly damaged to heavily damaged, with corresponding Defending Fortification bonuses to the defenders depending on the degree of destruction (“Protection”, x% Cover, and a +y POA bonus in close combat).
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Making the scriptmaking for scenario easier for beginners by adding more options (integrating ready-made scripts) to the Editor panel. I don't have an exhaustive list of them in my mind right now, but for example :
- this objects or that event will or may (with z% chance) appear there, at some point between turn 5 and 8
- camera starts at square x,y
- Paul's scripts in his Custom battles
- etc.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Typeable FP values in custom battles
Search bar for army lists

Lynx57
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Lynx57 »

- A game replay mode ( with pause )

- A live game mode ( igo ugo , still connected , and a live tchatbox ) and of course a the turn-based mode. (like panzercoprs system )

- In turn based mode, player should know if the turn was " reloaded " by their openent.

- An "army painter" which allows to personalize the flags and the colors of the units ( that s should be really cool )

It would be nice to be able to rename the generals in each game, or campaign, or even give a name to the units in order to push the personalization. ( it s important for figurinist !!! )
Lot of cosmetic options ( import coat of arms or flag or symbol like eagle for legions )
Cosmetic could attract lot of players.

- The option to save an army personalisation and composition ( even multiple personalized armies )

- The possibility of choosing archers with or without stakes in the same list.

- Campaigns with 2 or even 4 players ( perhaps with a small campaign map )
And perhaps 2vs2 games ( 1 main list + 1 allies ) VS 2 IA or 2 humans.

- An encyclopedia of units wich could help to navigate and compare units , with values and capacities.

- A board with multiplayer statisctics of tournament and friendly games for everyone.
( why not by teams of 2 members , if teamplay is possible , with a team name and coat of arms / symbol )

- More meteo effects , and the course of the day hour by hour , wich could impact visibility
( and capacities why not , wet powder , mud impacting cavalry and hvy armored foot ) turn by turn. ( optional)
at start , pot luck for terrain and / or for meteo or specific parametters choosen

That s the FOG of my dreams :)

And this game system could be used for ancient, medieval , pike and shot , sengoku jidai !
Like Panzercorps is used for lot of theater / Periods. One core game , used for multiple games with their dlc.

“Tout le secret des armes ne consiste qu'en deux choses, à donner et à ne point recevoir.”

Molière Le misanthrope
Swuul
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Swuul »

This would indeed be totally absolutely extremely needed.
There are three kinds of people, those who can count and those who can't.

Return to “Field of Glory II”