Development wishlist

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Re: Development wishlist

Post by Aetius39 »

SimonLancaster wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:02 am
Aetius39 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:55 am 1st turn auto-reload random map

Not sure how hard this would be to implement, but it's a bit of a pain to cancel and re-create a challenge just because the map is not suitable for one or both of the players, especially in a tournament. Would it be feasible to have a 're-roll the map' option on the first turn for each player? Just throwing it out there.^^

Aetius
Interesting. Would you cap it at one re-roll? By definition a random map is random so re-rolling until you get a good map for your particular army seems a little unfair.
1 or 2 re-rolls would be great. No more than 2 needed, and just 1 would be better than none.^^
Creator of "There Can Be Only One" tournaments in Field of Glory 2.
SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by SimonLancaster »

Aetius39 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:55 pm
SimonLancaster wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:02 am

Not sure how hard this would be to implement, but it's a bit of a pain to cancel and re-create a challenge just because the map is not suitable for one or both of the players, especially in a tournament. Would it be feasible to have a 're-roll the map' option on the first turn for each player? Just throwing it out there.^^

Aetius
Interesting. Would you cap it at one re-roll? By definition a random map is random so re-rolling until you get a good map for your particular army seems a little unfair.
1 or 2 re-rolls would be great. No more than 2 needed, and just 1 would be better than none.^^
Sounds acceptable.
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Aetius
It wouldn't be a simple fix. Something to consider though.
Richard Bodley Scott

Jagger2002
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Jagger2002 »

It might be a project but I would like to see the AI chose an army that matches up better with the map terrain. More cavalry in open terrain, more mediums/lights in rougher terrain, etc. Probably more of a situation with Medieval than with standard FOG2.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Jagger2002 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:41 pm It might be a project but I would like to see the AI chose an army that matches up better with the map terrain. More cavalry in open terrain, more mediums/lights in rougher terrain, etc. Probably more of a situation with Medieval than with standard FOG2.
Of course it would be more realistic if the player used the autoselect option, rather than the AI also picking troops to fit the terrain, which would not be possible in real life.
Richard Bodley Scott

Fangorn
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Fangorn »

Hello there, first post, but I've playing this game for years.

One point of this game that I think could use some improvement is the amount of information accessable to the players and LOS is part of this. We have perfect information about the enemy units, the elevation only hide units if it is very high, and we can discern every detail about the unit, to the point we can see where the generals are from the other side of the map.

I believe one of the uses of skirmishers was to hide the units behind them. Also in Cannae Hannibal light troops were ordered to raise as much dust in the air as possible which was later used to help fool the Romans into the trap.

One way to change the game to improve it is to place "?" icons to the enemy units. You can see them, maybe hear them but you need to be close to see more details (you can believe it is a heavy infantry, but maybe it is a medium), when you get closer you can discern which type, but have doubts about its quality or the presence of a general. If the unit is being heard but not seem you can think it is in a place, but it really is in a nearby square. If we have fog conditions, all this is worsened, in plain day light it is easier, but units behind other units are still hard to discern.

I think this idea would really change the game for the better.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Fangorn wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:17 am Hello there, first post, but I've playing this game for years.

One point of this game that I think could use some improvement is the amount of information accessable to the players and LOS is part of this. We have perfect information about the enemy units, the elevation only hide units if it is very high, and we can discern every detail about the unit, to the point we can see where the generals are from the other side of the map.

I believe one of the uses of skirmishers was to hide the units behind them. Also in Cannae Hannibal light troops were ordered to raise as much dust in the air as possible which was later used to help fool the Romans into the trap.

One way to change the game to improve it is to place "?" icons to the enemy units. You can see them, maybe hear them but you need to be close to see more details (you can believe it is a heavy infantry, but maybe it is a medium), when you get closer you can discern which type, but have doubts about its quality or the presence of a general. If the unit is being heard but not seem you can think it is in a place, but it really is in a nearby square. If we have fog conditions, all this is worsened, in plain day light it is easier, but units behind other units are still hard to discern.

I think this idea would really change the game for the better.
This is the sort of thing that would be ideal for a Mod.
Richard Bodley Scott

Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Aetius39 »

"Cavalry that stops pursuing if it's attacked by ranged units (especially lights)"

I wonder if the above was ever considered?

I noticed that sometimes, like in a game I'm in now, that if a cavalry (here a Byzantine lancer) broke a unit and keeps pursuing it, it can get pummeled by arrows, yet it often keeps pursuing another turn or two. Wouldn't it make more sense for the cavalry to stop pursuing immediately, and turn on the new attackers? Doesn't seem like a big thing, but also seems more realistic to me, unless I'm missing something.^^

If cavalry already do this, I'm sorry for posting, but I'm pretty sure they don't.

Aetius
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Aetius39 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:05 am "Cavalry that stops pursuing if it's attacked by ranged units (especially lights)"

I noticed that sometimes, like in a game I'm in now, that if a cavalry (here a Byzantine lancer) broke a unit and keeps pursuing it, it can get pummeled by arrows, yet it often keeps pursuing another turn or two. Wouldn't it make more sense for the cavalry to stop pursuing immediately, and turn on the new attackers? Doesn't seem like a big thing, but also seems more realistic to me, unless I'm missing something.^^
The idea is that they are too focused on hacking down routers to take any coherent notice of what is going on around them.

We might disagree on whether that is realistic, but we think it is, and have no current plans to change it.
Richard Bodley Scott

Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Aetius39 »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:08 am
Aetius39 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:05 am "Cavalry that stops pursuing if it's attacked by ranged units (especially lights)"

The idea is that they are too focused on hacking down routers to take any coherent notice of what is going on around them.

We might disagree on whether that is realistic, but we think it is, and have no current plans to change it.
No problem! I honestly didn't know if it WAS realistic or not in real battles. Offhand, I'd assume maybe not, as I understand that while you'd be intent on pursuing the routed enemies, if a bunch of arrows flew at your from your flank and several guys around you dropped, maybe you'd swing around and meet the new threat. But I've never been in a ancient battle, so it's just my guess.^^ Thanks for replying!

Aetius
Latro
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Latro »

From my obviously limited ideas about ancient battle, I took away from reenactment days, I would agree with Richard.
When engaged your situational awareness is reduced enormously, hardly even noticing the man right beside you.
This is already so in a tight infantry formation. Now imagine being on a galloping horse to boot.
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Also remember pursuers and routers both are less vulnerable due to the penalty to shooting assessed when targeting such.
Chaos Tourney and Little Wars Organizer, TDC V Early Medieval Coordinator
imitation_legionary
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by imitation_legionary »

Fangorn wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:17 am One way to change the game to improve it is to place "?" icons to the enemy units. You can see them, maybe hear them but you need to be close to see more details (you can believe it is a heavy infantry, but maybe it is a medium), when you get closer you can discern which type, but have doubts about its quality or the presence of a general. If the unit is being heard but not seem you can think it is in a place, but it really is in a nearby square.
Combat Mission has this system. It's probably the best (as in effective and inobtrusive) fog of war implementation I've seen in a wargame.
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

I'd like to be able to save a battlefield and have the option of importing a battlefield in addition to the normal randomized one.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Karvon wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:27 pm I'd like to be able to save a battlefield and have the option of importing a battlefield in addition to the normal randomized one.
Yes, we would like that too, but it isn't simple to implement.

Do you mean
a) Import a battlefield created in the Editor.
b) Import a previously saved randomly created battlefield.
c) Something else
d) Both
?
Richard Bodley Scott

Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

rbodleyscott wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:12 am
Karvon wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:27 pm I'd like to be able to save a battlefield and have the option of importing a battlefield in addition to the normal randomized one.
Yes, we would like that too, but it isn't simple to implement.

Do you mean
a) Import a battlefield created in the Editor.
b) Import a previously saved randomly created battlefield.
c) Something else
d) Both
?
I would like b), but probably there would be some who'd like option a) as well.

Thanks,

Karvon
olddog52
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by olddog52 »

Much of the things above -yes please.
and

Can the Losses Tally have Leaders, Knights, and maybe Nobles added to the list of dead ,wounded and routing?

A DLC of unit cards.
A Large Picture of the unit with detailed information on the unit. A digital table to lay them out side by side.A Test bed like in the editor, And all the tools to look at POAs ,Armor weapons...etc. if this could be opened on a 2ed screen as you play the game would be nice.
AND Hell yes - Replays
Hari72

Post by Hari72 »

I hope for a way to skip the enemy replay sequence.
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Hari72 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:32 pm I hope for a way to skip the enemy replay sequence.

I usually just go get a drink or read a book when I'm not interested in watching the replay myself.

Karvon
Hari72

Post by Hari72 »

Yeah! But it is annoing!

Return to “Field of Glory II”