Great game as Rome in early scenario, and a tip

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

vaalen
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Great game as Rome in early scenario, and a tip

Post by vaalen »

I have just finished a game as Rome in the Rise of Persia scenario.

Persia won the game on turn one hundred seventy, but it was a lot of fun.

I started as a one province client state of Etruria, and had wiped Etruria off the map and conquered all of Italy except for Apulia, plus a lot of cisalpina when the game ended.

The breakout from two samll regions and the military campaing was both different and a great deal of fun. Basically, you need to be able to get tot he place where you can raise early legions, Alae legions, and velites to get the edge you need.

This means building the Campus Martius Building and getting the associated event.

However, there is a hidden trap here. Do not build the Campus Martius in any region but
Latium. If you take another region besides Latium, the game may constantly prompr you
to build the Campus Martius in that region. If you do, you will never get legions even if you get the event. And you cannot dismantle the campus Martius once it is built.

In my first game, I took Umbria from the Samnites in an early war, and got to keep it when the Samnites were wiped out by other nations. The game kept prompting me to build the Canpus Martius in Umbria, and I did so. No legions for me in that game.

In my current game, I once again took Umbria early. This time, I dismantled the training ground in the region, and the prompt did not appear there. It eventually came up in Latium, I built it in Latium, and was able to get legions when the event came up.

Another tip. Once you get the ability to build legions, your current army will be converted. Only Armored Hoplites will be converted to legions. Citizen hoplites and all other roman infantry will be converted to velites. Italian provincial infantry will not be converted.This conversion is automatic and doesnot cost anything. I had only two armored hoplites at the time of the conversion, so I would up with an army in which every roman infantry unit but those two was converted to velites.

Great fun, and I recommed the experience.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Re: Great game as Rome in early scenario, and a tip

Post by Pocus »

Thanks for the feedback Vaalen. I'll look at this Marius Campus issue though, I'm pretty sure that's not the intent.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
fractious_celt
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by fractious_celt »

I have had similar issues regarding building the Campus Martius outside of Latium. Can you please tell us what the conditions are for the Italian Hoplites event?

I hope you get around to one more scenario before you shelve the game. Great fun!

Thanks!
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

They can be converted into legions once you reach tier III civilization, nascent republic. This is only true in the Persian DLC campaign, in the main campaign you don't start with hoplites.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”