Stockwellpete's War of the Roses Campaign

Moderators: rbodleyscott, kronenblatt

angusosborne
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Stockwellpete's War of the Roses Campaign

Post by angusosborne »

Let's get ready to rumble.

I took up FoG2 this year, and I played a lot of DBM about 20 years ago. I am somewhere around an average player I think. Better than average in the last couple of Slitherine tournaments. Competitive with Karvon, but I haven't beaten him.
President of 110BC World Cup, Administrator of TDC V Imperial and WTC, Ever Green League Usurper (EGL 300 BC, EGL 900 AD, EGL 1240 AD)
Winner TDC III Dark Ages Division B
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

PHASE ONE 1455-1465

EPISODE ONE 1455: ST ALBANS
The 1450s saw rising tensions between “Lancastrian” (the peace party) and “Yorkist” (the war party) factions after the final English defeat during the Hundred Years War at Castillon in France in 1453. Margaret of Anjou, the English queen, was becoming increasingly powerful because her husband, Henry VI, was struggling with very severe mental illness. In 1455, Richard of York was removed as Lord Protector of England as Henry had temporarily recovered his faculties, and fearing arrest for treason at a Great Council meeting arranged in Leicester, he resorted to arms and intercepted the King's army at St Albans.

First battle of St Albans (May 1455)
The Lancastrians choose 1 commander, who must be the Edmund Beaufort, Duke of Somerset and the Yorkists choose 1 commander, who must be the royal character Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York.
There are no pursuits, executions or ransoms after this battle.

Outcomes
1)Yorkist victory - Henry VI captured and Richard of York restored as Lord Protector. Go to episode 2.
2)Draw/Lancastrian victory - Henry VI resumes control and Richard of York is imprisoned for a short period and then later on is released and sent to Ireland. Go to episode 2.

...and the randomly rolled commanders are:

Yorkist angusosborne

Lancastrian Karvon

Game is up
PW karvon

Current Chit Status

Yorkist
angusosborne 1
stockwellpete 2
edb1815 2

Lancastrian
Karvon 1
Doyley50 2
PeterThePainter 2
Chaos Tourney and Little Wars Organizer, TDC V Early Medieval Coordinator
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Remember to download V2 of the scenarios. I would recommend deleting V1 to avoid confusion when setting up as the titles are the same.
angusosborne

Post by angusosborne »

Purely coincidental that we are matched up just after I wrote that I hadn't beaten Karvon I'm sure.

I would quite like to post some screenshots of the battle to keep the others informed, but I haven't really figured out how to do it in this forum. Do I need to do image hosting to get a url or something? Does anyone know?
President of 110BC World Cup, Administrator of TDC V Imperial and WTC, Ever Green League Usurper (EGL 300 BC, EGL 900 AD, EGL 1240 AD)
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

angusosborne wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:25 am Purely coincidental that we are matched up just after I wrote that I hadn't beaten Karvon I'm sure.

I would quite like to post some screenshots of the battle to keep the others informed, but I haven't really figured out how to do it in this forum. Do I need to do image hosting to get a url or something? Does anyone know?
Select Attachments tab and you can upload a jpg file. Just make sure the file isn't too large in size or it won't be accepted.
PeterThePainter
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by PeterThePainter »

Greetings to all,

I am very pleased to join to the Lancastrian Band of Brothers. By way of introduction as most of you don't know me, I have played FOG2/FOGM since the beginning of the year having played both P & S and SJ for about a year before that. I have played Doyley50 in FOGM before and lost, and also played Second St Albans (as the Lancastrians), as a one-off game, and lost. That should give a fair indication of my abilities.

Looking forward to doing battle with some new opponents.

Question for StockwellPete:

In another thread about the WOTR campaign rules on the forum you mentioned that in version 2 there was to be no ranged fire "after 6 turns, possibly less." Did you settle on six turns or is it less?

Thanks
PeterThePainter

Karvon wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:57 am Remember to download V2 of the scenarios. I would recommend deleting V1 to avoid confusion when setting up as the titles are the same.
Very sound advice. I did have V1 of Second St Albans on my PC and after downloading V2 of all the scenarios could see no way of distinguishing the two versions of that battle.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

PeterThePainter wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:49 am

In another thread about the WOTR campaign rules on the forum you mentioned that in version 2 there was to be no ranged fire "after 6 turns, possibly less." Did you settle on six turns or is it less?

Thanks
I settled for 6 turns in the end. :wink:
PeterThePainter

stockwellpete wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:09 pm
PeterThePainter wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:49 am

Thanks
I settled for 6 turns in the end. :wink:
Thank you for the prompt response.
edb1815
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by edb1815 »

Coincidentally this past weekend I hosted the Battle of Mortimer's Cross on the tabletop using rules called "Test of Resolve" and 15mm miniatures. It was a Yorkist victory despite Herbert being killed and his battle routed. The Earl of Wiltshire and his Irish/Breton mercenaries also quit the field. Looking forward seeing how these battles play out in FOG!
angusosborne

Post by angusosborne »

First Battle of St Albans underway

The Lancastrians defend two roads through the city boundary ditch. Both armies are moving some troops to the flanks. On the Lancastrian right is a river with a bridge into St Albans, on their left is another closer gate.

This screenshot is taken from the Yorkist right.
Attachments
Screenshot (25).png
Screenshot (25).png (1014.55 KiB) Viewed 400 times
angusosborne

Post by angusosborne »

Two disrupted Yorkist units already - one from some streaky shooting I swear
Attachments
Screenshot (26) (1).png
Screenshot (26) (1).png (946.53 KiB) Viewed 397 times
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I am just flagging up the Advanced Rule that I would like us to use in this campaign. It concerns control of the English crown and reads as follows . . .

Advanced rule: victory points of +2 for each year a faction controls the Crown outright can be won for the following years (provided that there has been a battle in that year): 1459, 1460, 1461, 1464 and 1465: 1471; 1483, 1485 and 1487.

Note: points are not awarded for years when succession events occur.

So, the campaign starts in 1455 with Henry VI (Lancastrian) in power. This may change in future depending on the outcome of the various battles.
angusosborne

Post by angusosborne »

I spotted that Pete.

Latest from the battlefield. The Yorkists have broken an enemy unit, but now find themselves in a standoff at both streets, and are attempting to manoeuvre around the town. Either side advancing into the one square wide gap can fairly easily be flanked (attack on one corner, wait a turn, attack on the other corner after the defender has turned to face).

Below are a couple of views from the Lancastrian centre. The Yorkists have ordered one unit to fall back from each fortification, one of which is now disrupted and requires the direct leadership of York. Apart from the routing unit the Lancastrians are steady.
Attachments
Lanc Left.png
Lanc Left.png (522.61 KiB) Viewed 354 times
Lanc Right.png
Lanc Right.png (548.49 KiB) Viewed 354 times
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

angusosborne wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:55 am
Latest from the battlefield. The Yorkists have broken an enemy unit, but now find themselves in a standoff at both streets, and are attempting to manoeuvre around the town. Either side advancing into the one square wide gap can fairly easily be flanked (attack on one corner, wait a turn, attack on the other corner after the defender has turned to face).

Below are a couple of views from the Lancastrian centre. The Yorkists have ordered one unit to fall back from each fortification, one of which is now disrupted and requires the direct leadership of York. Apart from the routing unit the Lancastrians are steady.
Alas one company has broke and run and seems to be haring off south, but the good Duke of Somerset has rallied our brave lads forced back from the barrier defending the center of town and our men are holding the other avenues of approach so far. We shall protect the king and hold off these traitorous Yorkists scum from the north till relieved.
angusosborne

Post by angusosborne »

Balderdash. The King is incapable and Somerset is incompetent. The only sensible course of action is to recognise York as the heir.

We have launched an attack on the Lancastrian right - the odds are in the defenders favour, but we have reserves and they do not.
angusosborne

Post by angusosborne »

We are approaching the end of the day (battle). The Lancastrians have defended well and are now ahead, but the big news is that the Lancastrian general, Somerset, is dead. That'll be his corpse right in the middle of the picture
Attachments
Screenshot (28) (1).png
Screenshot (28) (1).png (974.86 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Aye, Lord Somerset, fell leading the lads in the defense of village's western gates. We will be sure he did not die in vain by keeping the Yorkists dogs at bay till dusk.
angusosborne

Post by angusosborne »

Night has fallen, and the battle ends in a draw. Yorkist losses are 14%, Lancastrian losses are 11% including Edmund Beaufort, Duke of Somerset.

Yorkist troops got through the various fortifications three times and were attempting a fourth attack. One attack had been defeated, but it looked like given enough time two of the attacks would have succeeded and one more failed.
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

The Yorkist were held off till dusk and we were able withdraw under cover of night. Lord Somerset will be given an honorable burial and the King is safe from the rebels.

Campaign Points

1455 1 pt for Yorkist for death of Somerset.

Yorkists 1
Lancastrians 0

EPISODE TWO 1459: BLORE HEATH

The situation deteriorated again over the winter of 1458/9, because Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick and Captain of Calais, was attacking neutral Spanish and Hanse merchant ships in the English Channel – this was very popular with merchants of London and Kent, but Henry VI and Queen Margaret were outraged and they summoned a council to be held at Coventry in June. Richard, Duke of York and Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick did not attend for fear of being arrested for treason. They were then indicted for rebellion. Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York called on other pro-Yorkist nobles to join him with their armies at Ludlow on the Welsh Marches. One of these Yorkist armies is intercepted by Lancastrian forces at Blore Heath, near Market Drayton in the Midlands.

Blore Heath (September 1459)
Lancastrians – choose 2 commanders, Yorkists – choose 2 commanders.

Outcomes
1) Draw/Yorkist victory – go to episode 3.
2) Lancastrian victory – Yorkists disperse to Ireland and Calais. Their leaders are all attainted for treason. Henry VI and Margaret spend the winter at Coventry. The Yorkists manage to hold onto Calais and then their ships destroy the Lancastrian fleet at Sandwich in May 1460. In June a small Yorkist army lands at Sandwich and then marches to London - go to episode 5.

Randomize Commanders....

Lancastrian PeterThePainter

Yorkist edb1815

Current Chit Count

Yorkist
angusosborne 1
stockwellpete 2
edb1815 1

Lancastrian
Karvon 1
Doyley50 2
PeterThePainter 1