30 YW campaign round 2 1624

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

30 YW campaign round 2 1624

Post by awesum4 »

While we await the results of the last revolt in Bavaria we can start preparation for round 2. I need to know which armies each player will be using, please post on here.

One Protestant rebel (the first person to post on here) can use Translyvanian 1618-1631, everyone else will use German Protestant 1618-1631.

One Catholic player (the first to post on here) can use Spanish 1621-1634. The other players must choose between Catholic League 1619-1632 or Imperialist 1619-1632. If a player hasn't chosen by the time I post next then the default army is Catholic League.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: 30 YW campaign round 2 1624

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

I'll take the vampires
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Spanish for me please.
PeterThePainter
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by PeterThePainter »

Imperials please.

I will be away from tomorrow until Friday and unable to start a new game before the 9th September but hopefully that will not be an issue.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Count Silly, general of the Catholic League 1619-1632 stands a safe distance behind our Spanish Catholic brethren under General Córdoba Kiwiwarlord ready to give overwhelming moral support to the imminent invasion of the Electoral Palatinate.
Count Silly.jpg
Count Silly.jpg (11.37 KiB) Viewed 695 times
SpeedyCM
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by SpeedyCM »

I think i would like to bring the Catholic League to this fight.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

By 1624 the Protestant rebellion is becoming a serious threat to the Empire, they have taken control of both Saxony and Bavaria, and are continuing the fight in the other regions. A Transyvanian army has assembled to attack Bohemia.
But the Catholics are fighting back, both the ousted Dukes of Saxony and Bavaria have recruited mercenaries and are re-invading their homelands. The King of Bohemia has hired an entire Spanish army to repel the Transylvanians.
The Catholic players are either defending or invading their traditional lands, the Protestant leaders are moved around to where they feel they will be most effective.
To reflect the increasingly bitter conflict we will now use Medium armies, still open battles in Agricultural terrain.

The first player sets up the battle as he is invading, password 1624.

In Austria Ahuyton uses German Protestant 1619 to take on GDod using German Catholic 1619
In Bavaria SMJohnso uses German Catholic 1619 to take on Lascar using German Protestant 1619
In Bohemia Snuggles uses Transylvanian 1618 to take on Kiwiwarlord using Spanish 1621
In Brandenburg Markleslie uses German Protestant 1619 to take on SpeedyCM using German Catholic 1619
In the Palatinate Doyley50 uses German Protestant 1619 to take on Awesum4 using German Catholic 1619
In Saxony Peterthe Painter uses Imperialist 1619 to take on GentlemanRanker using German Protestant 1619
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

KiwiWarlord wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:33 am Spanish for me please.
Match is up, pw 1624
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

markleslie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by markleslie »

A fire has been lit in Brandenburg,

markleslie German Protestant 1618-1631 vs SpeedyCM Catholic League 1619-1632

watch it burn.
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Doyley50 »

Doyley50 v awesum4, our match is set up.
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

Gavin, we have expelled all Catholic priests from Upper Austria and the bible is read to the revolting masses in Carinthian dialect. Our troops await you.

Hah! As we say in the Mountains.

Pw 1234
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Your troops will need to count past four if they are to record their numerous casualties. We'll be there shortly heretics...hold fire.

We've arrived and shot our scouts for such appalling terrain. We are hurriedly learning to count!
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

We are pleased to report that the rebel forces have been cleared from the Palatinate following a brisk exchange where our professional soldiers showed their true worth. We had chosen an army with all the superior Tercios and late tercios and therefore were outnumbered in mounted and skirmishing foot.
We advanced rapidly alongside a forest which we occupied with our few light foot, our cavalry massed on then other side. He drove us from the forest using more light foot and some of his mounted which meant we had an extra mounted unit on the other wing and that tipped that fight our way. He had more later tercios but we managed to engage him where we had advantage of higher ground and we immediatley charged downhill. He repulsed us in several places but we simply charged back in and greater elan broke his units fairly rapidly.
Our hussars who had helped our mounted wing ran down his artillery then joined in the fight against his victorious right wing as they emerged from the forest and his army fled the field.
We lost 20% to his 51% in what was a most exciting battle to play, against a great opponent.
GentlemanRanker
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by GentlemanRanker »

Shenanigans in Saxony: GentlemanRanker’s German Protestant 1618-1631 army beat PeterThePainter’s Imperialist 1619-1632 army by 14 – 49.

The field of battle was bisected by a stream in the Protestant half of the field, with a large flat hill on the Imperialist’s left wing. The Imperialist general had invested in a strong force of cavalry, which immediately hooked right, eager to close with their less numerous Protestant counterparts. The Protestant cavalry refused the left wing, (cowering?) on and behind some large patches of rough ground. The Imperialist infantry advanced centrally, in force, to support their cavalry.

Several units of Protestant infantry tentatively advanced to take the high ground on their right, once the Imperialists showed no intention to contest it. These were supported by a single unit of arkebusiers switched from the opposite wing. The Protestant medium guns were conveniently sited on a hill behind the firing line, and their general had selected an extra unit of heavy guns, placed in the middle of the line. Both sets of guns concentrated on the enemy’s veteran tercio to encourage forward movement.

The Imperialist cavalry closed with their enemy, and soon began to gain the upper hand, but the Protestants managed to put up sufficient resistance such that the Imperialists were never able to break though and threated the rear of the Protestant infantry. The two lines of infantry edged towards one another, the Imperialists having to adjust to avoid being enveloped on their left, and a fierce firefight ensued; the Protestant tercios had the best of it, supported by the close range fire of their guns. The single unopposed unit of Protestant cavalry on their right, although disrupted by light infantry fire, was able to get behind the Imperialist’s line, disperse their medium guns, and threaten rear charges. The infantry lines finally clashed in melee, but the cumulative casualties from fire incurred by the Imperialist tercios meant that they quickly succumbed due to their weakened state. An enjoyable and challenging game, thank you Peter!
markleslie

Post by markleslie »

Brandenberg

markleslie German Protestant 1619 defeats SpeedyCM using German Catholic 1619. 29-58.

The gun is good, more guns are more good.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

In the foothills of Upper Austria, the Protestant peasants defeated the Hapsburg Catholics by 44-8.

Gavin's Catholics were surprised by my sneaky deployment: as he advanced his army down the left flank, the Protestant infantry appeared on their right emerging from the hills. This meant I could use my firepower to inflict damage on the enemy Keils. Gavin's cause was not helped by his over-enthusiastic cuirassiers who charge into trouble and found themselves outflanked and broken. My superior number of units then took advantage of the opening.

Well, a lot of fun for me and not much for Gavin I am afraid.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Alan met the threat of a left hook well with a rapid counter. With the prospect of attacking the superior numbers of protestants lining a hill to the front, the Catholics tried to realign on the protestant left. This maneuver was in large part protected by a small swamp between the Catholic advance and the hill. However, the need to counter light horse on the Catholic left and skirmishing foot on the right who were threatening our culverins meant our own screening skirmishers had to counter, leaving the tercio's vulnerable. Moreover, the speed of the counter resulted in premature melee' before our line could be properly established. Caught on the hop, with our over-enthusiastic Kuirassiers already engaged and flanked, and the early disorder of a early tercio meant little could be done. The rest was just plain butchery, despite minor success from our two mounted arquebusiers.

A lesser general would have turned to face the left hook without advancing off his hill and without the rash but ultimately successful cavalry advance on his right.

Hence, well played Alan. In hindsight, I exposed my cavalry and ventured far to close with my Tercios. I could have been more successful by halting our advance, withdrawing the Catholic cavalry and establishing a defensive line away from the hill before your heavy cavalry could arrive.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

SnuggleBunnies (Transylvanian) defeats KiwiWarlord (Spanish) 50-15

GG, the Transylvanians are an army I haven't played in some years, but as Kiwi pointed out they are my style of army. Kiwi sensibly attempted to play for the draw, but the Transylvanian cavalry stayed alive long enough for the masses of musket armed infantry to do their work. Special mention for the sole battery of artillery I brought, whose extra -1 to range CTs contributed greatly.

awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Reports have come in that Duke Steven has recaptured his homeland of Bavaria.

So the Rebels hold 4 Provinces and the Empire holds just 2.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”