18th Century mod - Frederick the Great's battles

Moderator: rbodleyscott

Cronos09
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

18th Century mod - Frederick the Great's battles

Post by Cronos09 »

Porting this mod https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 04#p937704 to the FoG2 engine and its further development.
You can choose Second Silesian War module in Epic Battles or Custom Battle menu. In Epic Battles three battles are available for each side (Soor and Kesselsdorf are made for P&S Campaigns by Edward77):

Hohenfriedberg 1745
Soor 1745
Kesselsdorf 1745

All the battles have non-standard VC. Please, read them carefully.
The main features:
1) P&S functional: Musket, Bayonets, Shooting Pistol, Impact Mounted, Impact Pistol, Melee Pistol, Heavy, Medium and Light Artillery, RG, Medium and Light fortification are added.
2) Full reactive fire for muskets and cannons (like in P&S), ammunition for 7 (13 shots including reactive ones) turns of shooting at full effect. Artillery ammo is unlimited. In order to save ammunition, the AI will not shoot at routed units during CompleteLastTurnShooting (a player can shoot at them if he wishes).
3) Grenadiers have Bombs. The Bombs are used automatically during the charge before the impact phase with a corresponding animation. I separate the use of bombs from the shooting process. The bombs are available for only one throw/one charge. They then disappear from the unit's attributes (see the infopanel). In this case, they are used only for charging, not for shooting.
4) Canister shot for the guns. It is made automatically at a distance of 4 tiles or less from the cannon. In this case, a tooltip will appear above the gun. The losses from this shot will be greater (as a rule), in any case, the minimum ones will be above zero. Cannonballs are used during the non-canister shot. Otherwise 'Naphtha' visual effect is used instead of a cannonball.
5) Infantry cannot charge an unengaged cavalry i.e. infantry can only charge cavalry if it is in melee. ZoCs work like in FoG2 (without changes).
6) Cuirassiers and Dragoons have Shooting Pistol. If Cuirassiers have 'Impact Mounted' > 55 (the AI uses this option), they shoot automatically before charging.
7) I reduced the increment of Impact Foot from 200 to 100 vs Foot (like in P&S) and 50 vs Cavalry.

Main features of the mod skirmish:
1) two sides of the Second Silesian War - Austro-Saxon and Prussian;
2) Prussian infantry has 12 AP vs 10 AP of Austro-Saxon - the Prussian army under the command of Frederick the Great had the initiative in almost all the battles of the Second Silesian and Seven Years' Wars and tried to impose its will on the enemy, because Prussian infantry made quick maneuvers and reorganizations on the battlefield;
3) all Prussian units are higher quality than Austro-Saxon units, but more expensive (excluding Hussars);
4) Hussars - I do not see them as a classical P&S light unit. The hussar regiments of that time outnumbered the cuirassier and dragoon ones. Already in the Seven Years' War, the Prussian hussars fought as line cavalry. Therefore, I made Hussars as line demi-light cavalry. They have not impact bonuses (Carbine, Swordsmen). But they have 20 APs and can evade enemy charges.

Download Link ---> https://disk.yandex.by/d/Rz_a2-NwnptQTQ The archive should be unzipped at ...\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\CAMPAIGNS\....
Thanks to Paul59 for the provided Austrian and Prussian banners and his clarifying the issue with unit textures in custom battles.

30.05.2023 Improved version: https://disk.yandex.ru/d/0JwPYNn5iAgK4Q - Second Silesian War v1. The installation procedure is the same.
Changes from the previous version:
1) I mirrored the horseman death animation. Now there are 2 of them in the mod - left and right;
2) I made separate animations when Hussars use melee and firearms;
3) More aggressive AI by adding RoguedJack's scripts;
4) I made the Hohenfriedberg scenario a bit more difficult when playing as the Austro-Saxons.
Last edited by Cronos09 on Tue May 30, 2023 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: 18th Century mod - Frederick the Great's battles

Post by rbodleyscott »

You are missing the "Stakes" column from the Squads file. This is causing the vanilla scripts to generate an error - although you will only see this if running the game in Debug Mode.

Which you do by putting the line

DEBUGMODE 1

in

/Documents/My Games/FieldOfGloryMedieval/USER.txt

That will enable the Debug Log in battle, which appears if you press f6, or automatically if an error occurs. (In which case scroll back and you will see the error prefaced by **)

--------------------------------------

Apart from that, the Mod looks great, and I would be happy to put it on the FTP for in-game download if you wish. (Once the error is fixed).
Richard Bodley Scott

Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Thank you, Richard!

I did not check the mod in Debug Mode - I was happy with how it worked.
Maybe, something interesting will be suggested for the skirmish balance. Then I will fix the error and send you the link.
PikeStance
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by PikeStance »

There is something off about the Battle of Soor

The Austrian forces that are on the Austrian right flank moved to the left flank when they should be preoccupied with the Prussians in front of them. The Prussians are also south of the town. The number of Prussians is too low relative to the Austrians. On the Austrian left flank, there are infantry units supporting the mounted units (which are overpowered). They should be mounted units in the center, but there aren't any.

Appreciate the effort but you should improve the geographic and historical accuracy.
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

PikeStance wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:58 am There is something off about the Battle of Soor

The Austrian forces that are on the Austrian right flank moved to the left flank when they should be preoccupied with the Prussians in front of them. The Prussians are also south of the town. The number of Prussians is too low relative to the Austrians. On the Austrian left flank, there are infantry units supporting the mounted units (which are overpowered). They should be mounted units in the center, but there aren't any.

Appreciate the effort but you should improve the geographic and historical accuracy.
Soor and Kesselsdorf scenarios are converted/adapted versions of these battles for P&S made by Edward77 with some changes. And I do not see any fundamental discrepancies between Soor scenario and the historical battle (except for the absence of the Austrian cavalry in the center):
1) historical strength of the opposite forces - 22000 Prussians vs 40000 Austrians. In the scenario - 15000 vs 27000 when playing for the Prussian side.
2) The Prussian army defeated the left wing and the center of the Austrians. The troops of the Austrian right wing retreated due to the collapse of the center. Burkersdorf was occupied by the Prussians during the battle.

Therefore, I don't see much reason to redo this scenario.
PikeStance

Post by PikeStance »

It is impossible for the Prussians to occupy Burkersdorf. If you try, you will be pincer by the Austrians who would otherwise be occupied by a Prussian front. It is actually suicidal to attempt to take the city. As you can see below.

Here's a screenshot of what I mean.

The Austrians do not need to hold their line because there isn't a Prussian line in front of them. In fact, the Prussian line is angled 45 degrees to the line they held in the battle.

In the middle, you can see Austrian Cavalry moving from their right flank position to the center. This would not be possible if the Prussian left were in the proper position with supporting cavalry on the left.

Frederick's plan requires the Prussian left to hold down the Austrian right flank in order to assault the hill. This aspect is completely removed thus allowing the Austrians to move to the center.

Another quick note; if you fail to take the hill in a timely manner, it ends, despite controlling 90% of the hill. If however, you achieve your goal, the game continues, but now you have the entire Austrian right flank attacking in the center.

It probably would have been best to focus the entire map on the assault since the other two flanks have little or no impact. Unfortunately, in this scenario that gets turned on its head.
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

I adjusted the balance of this scenario (for this I replayed it dozens of times) - it suits me in its present form. If in real history the Prussians took Burkersdorf, and in the scenario it is impossible to capture it, then I do not consider this a good reason to change something in it.

Frederick the Great did not have enough troops to oppose the right wing of the Austrians, except for the left flank cavalry. As far as I know, the infantry that occupied Burkersdorf and attacked the center of the Austrian position acted without a corresponding order from the king.
PikeStance

Post by PikeStance »

Yes, the Prussian unit that attacked the village did so against the orders of the King.

The AI is interpreting the lack of forces and the objective as a means to move troops to counter the main assault. The right did not do this.

This isn't actually the battle of the Soor, just a confusing custom battle.

You either have to add The Prussian Left flank and position them properly on the battlefield or remove the Austrian right flank. The latter is preferable given the right flank's lack of importance in the battle.

Personally, I do not see a point in reenacting a battle scenario that did not exist.
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

PikeStance wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:55 am This isn't actually the battle of the Soor, just a confusing custom battle.
Personally, I do not see a point in reenacting a battle scenario that did not exist.
This is your personal opinion.
The mod has been downloaded about 40 times. If 7 more persons (i.e. 20% of those who downloaded) write that this scenario is "unworthy of being called the battle of Soor", I will remove it from the mod.
locustmustdie
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by locustmustdie »

Cronos09 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:59 am
PikeStance wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:55 am This isn't actually the battle of the Soor, just a confusing custom battle.
This is your personal opinion.
The mod has been downloaded about 40 times. If 7 more persons (i.e. 20% of those who downloaded) write that this scenario is "unworthy of being called the battle of Soor", I will remove it from the mod.
excuse me for disruption,but I’m too curious to know how to get the times my mod has been downloaded.
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

locustmustdie wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:30 pm
excuse me for disruption,but I’m too curious to know how to get the times my mod has been downloaded.
Hello! Sorry, I only know this information about my mod. It is still on the Yandex Disk (not in the game library) , and I can see the number of downloads in the File Info menu.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

As far as I know there is no way of knowing how many times a mod has been downloaded in-game from the Slitherine FTP.
Richard Bodley Scott

Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Gentlemen, you are dreaming of P&S2 and DLC about wars, incl. 18th century, in the next topic. Are you really not interested in this mod about the battles of Frederick the Great, which you can already play in this context? I have plans to develop it further and cover the battles of the Seven Years' War. But I would like to see your interest, if of course you have it, in your feedbacks.
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

FPS drops on my computer makes it impossible for me to play this mod long.
However, played a few turns. Looks good.
Time to have it available as a in-game download. I guess you might get more feedback.

PS : imho cav seems stuck in a narrow space between its infantry and the edge of the map. Can't maneuver much. It forces charges in straight line.

PS 2 : Have you tried to play it with the P&S rule about charge from the flank/rear for the cav only (ie devastating charges by cav only) ?
locustmustdie
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by locustmustdie »

Is it my illusion that the smoke seems different? :)
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Athos1660 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:49 am ...
PS : imho cav seems stuck in a narrow space between its infantry and the edge of the map. Can't maneuver much. It forces charges in straight line.

PS 2 : Have you tried to play it with the P&S rule about charge from the flank/rear for the cav only (ie devastating charges by cav only) ?
It is good for historical scenarios vs the AI unlike a human opponent.

Have not tried and do not plan.
locustmustdie wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:26 am Is it my illusion that the smoke seems different? :)
Each musket has two smoke emitter. In this context the smoke seems different.
thechoort
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by thechoort »

This mod is super impressive! One thing i'm curious about though is if there's any plan for a sandbox campaign with the army lists or if it's possible to mod that in myself (if so please let me know what I should do, i'm new to field of glory and messing with it's files and such)
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

thechoort wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:23 pm This mod is super impressive! One thing i'm curious about though is if there's any plan for a sandbox campaign with the army lists or if it's possible to mod that in myself (if so please let me know what I should do, i'm new to field of glory and messing with it's files and such)
Thanks. I do not plan a sandbox campaign for the mod now. Maybe, in future.
SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by SimonLancaster »

This mod does look impressive. Maybe a precursor for what is to come further down the FoG 2 line..

Thanks for the hard work.
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

SimonLancaster wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:14 am This mod does look impressive. Maybe a precursor for what is to come further down the FoG 2 line..

Thanks for the hard work.
Thank you. I had to sweat a little on the mod last year and the year before (for FoG2A) :)
I still need to fix errors in the debugger, add some minor improvements and hopefully it will be available for in-game download.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval - Modding”