Foggy Dice

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
grahamed
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Foggy Dice

Post by grahamed »

I know we have discussed dice roll visibility before, but, I was thinking…

Richard believes that seeing the dice rolls would encourage gaming during the rest of the turn. ( shooting again at unit near a fail etc)

As a long time tabletop player I really miss the feel of a dice roll ( good or bad) and i also find it frustrating that its not easy to identify whether some horrible fails or great successes were luck, or misjudgement. Yes i realise i could spend forever mining the various algorithms and playing endless test scenarios, documenting results to “card count” the answers, but thats not really why i play.

So as a compromise would it be possible once the end turn button is pressed to show a screen with the various rolls and calcs or better still a bit like with the detail tooltips run over the units on battlefield and get the low down on the dice rolls they made during the turn? Obviously this would not adversely impact the turn, as it would be over, but it would be interesting.

Clearly i have no idea if this is hard or easy, but if its not too hard and enough players want it?

Any views appreciated…..
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Foggy Dice

Post by rbodleyscott »

You can tell whether it was luck or not by looking at the combat logs. Everything is there except the dice roll.

Also bear in mind that only Cohesion Tests use "dice rolls" (2d6) and even then there are re-rolls for quality when appropriate. It is further complicated by the fact that, in order to simulate shooting in own and enemy bounds, each shot is in fact 2 volleys, and there are separate dice rolls for cohesion tests caused by (all) first volleys at the testing unit and (all) second volleys at the testing unit. Showing these, even after the turn is over, would be more confusing than helpful.

The RNG to determine the results of Shooting and Close Combat does not use "dice rolls" as such, but approximately-normal-distribution RNG ranges that do not correspond to d6.

Anyway, please forget about "dice rolls". You are playing an automated computer game, not a manually adjudicated tabletop game.
Richard Bodley Scott

MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by MVP7 »

I actively avoid digging too deep under the hood unless something seems off as I try to experience the game as an depiction of historical warfare, not as a depiction of a tabletop wargame depicting historical warfare.

If someone wants to see the random generated values it's of course no skin off my back, but personally I think purposely pursuing the mechanical solutions of a tabletop game in a video game makes about as much sense as making a book into movie by filming someone turning the pages.
grahamed

Post by grahamed »

Richard Thanks for the feedback, in multiplayer are the combat logs for the preceding enemy turn reviewable (if so how?) and is there anyway to review the enemy bound shooting results other than recording unit casualities every round? thanks
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

grahamed wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:36 pm Richard Thanks for the feedback, in multiplayer are the combat logs for the preceding enemy turn reviewable (if so how?) and is there anyway to review the enemy bound shooting results other than recording unit casualities every round? thanks
No to both, I am afraid.
Richard Bodley Scott

grahamed

Post by grahamed »

Thanks for the prompt reply, although that does mean that for at least half the combats you cannot tell whether it was luck or not by looking at the combat logs as they are unavailable. And unfortunately as far as I am aware you can’t look at the likely outcomes for combats where the opponent may charge or shhot at you next turn in the same way you can for your own charges / shooting.

I guess i will just have to do more practising…..
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

grahamed wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:31 amI guess i will just have to do more practising…..
That is the answer.

No real general ever had perfect information regarding the chances of his troops against enemy troops. He had to rely on experience (if not his own, then that of his advisors, if he did not choose to ignore them).
Richard Bodley Scott

grahamed

Post by grahamed »

Yes, and I guess in our game the combat logs and tooltips are the advisors.

Just a shame they sleep on the Enemies turn. ;-)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

grahamed wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:43 am Yes, and I guess in our game the combat logs and tooltips are the advisors.

Just a shame they sleep on the Enemies turn. ;-)
I took this at face value when you first posted it, but then I thought about it.

In fact they don't sleep in the enemy turn. The combat log and combat reports work normally in the replay of the enemy turn.
Richard Bodley Scott

grahamed

Post by grahamed »

Well thanks, i did not realise that and will give them a try

Return to “Field of Glory II”