Single-Shot/Kamikaze units for 0 CP?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Single-Shot/Kamikaze units for 0 CP?

Post by Horst »

Suicide Boat and Ohka cost 0 CP/Supply.
I know, the Ohka is normally not purchasable but the boat is.
Wouldn't it be more useful if other similar units also cost no CP?
It's clear that kamikaze planes are out of question, as long as they are only available as switch option what leads to cp-exploits if you revert them to normal planes afterwards.

Lunge Miners: 1
MXY7 Ohka: 0
Shinyo Suicide Boat: 0
Kaiten Suicide Submarine: 1
B29 Nuclear Bomber: 3
Atombomber: 3

The Kaiten has very similar stats compared to the Suicide Boat.
The nuclear bombers are already very expensive enough.

For building a core of units, you rather pick what's useful and not later kamikaze 5-star units. Reserving CP only for such units is most likely not desireable, especially for planes. If such units are intercepted successfully, it's in particular for planes a huge waste of RP in the first place.

As for the kamikaze planes, my idea is to make them also 0-CP units, make them purchasable, and remove the revert-option with context warning before switching to kamikaze mode. This way you can shredder undesired, maybe long-time unused, planes and replace them with something more useful after freeing up their CP. If someone has plenty cash in the end, you can also purchase them as free extra kamikaze plane units. Should make the Kamikaze spec way more useful, and the nuclear specs as well.
Need to test another time if this can work without messing up the CP counter.

Just had another idea for the Ohka: as the original design plan was to create a G4M2 bomber that carries an Ohka as cargo, like a carrier on the water, it's still doable to create a G4M2 Ohka bomber which switches unrevertibly to an Ohka during flight. Ohka have only 1 fuel, so a worthy target should be in single-move range (15).
Unfortunately, there is no switch option during flight possible, isn't there?
Horst

Re: Single-Shot/Kamikaze units for 0 CP?

Post by Horst »

It's a pity the game doesn't update the CP counter when doing any switch magic.
Doesn't matter. I'm going to try out without the kamikaze switch, making these plane seperately purchasable at cheaper cost.
This stuff is usually end-war/game anyway, so I guess not many players have ever bothered using these. Different story with MP compared to a long campaign play maybe.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”