Planetary Supremacy Feedback

eduardvyk
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Planetary Supremacy Feedback

Post by eduardvyk »

I'd like to bring up some of the larger issues with the planetary supremacy mode and offer some possible solutions to said problems. These proposed solutions are inspired by dawn of war dark crusade and soulstorm actually.

The first is variety in battle maps. The issue is getting bored with fairly samey maps outside of the faction capitals. My solution to this is to take advantage of the skirmish maps already in the game, as well as any future ones added, and use these instead. They would add a lot more possibilities for flanking opportunities, as well as increase visual variety to prevent people from getting bored.

The second is a general lack of incentive to slug it out with factions on the overworld if the path doesn't lead to their capital. If you have no reason to captures these territories outside of resource gain, it leads to campaigns that start and end in a similar way. My solution is to create both a retinue mechanic, as well as certain overworld abilities by capturing important areas on the map. I'll split this one into two sections. For the retinue mechanic, the way it could work is that by capturing any territory in the map that isn't a faction capital you gain a retinue unit that's a slightly more powerful version of a unit in your roster, free of charge. Additionally, in battles, your HQ units and your retinue could gain the ability to deploy outside the starting area, allowing for battles that are stressful from the get go because you don't know where the enemy deployed their HQ and retinue. For the overworld abilities, it could things like, gain an extra action point this turn, allowing you to attack or move a second time, or the ability to move anywhere on the map regardless of adjacency. Things like this would make fighting on the overworld much more interesting. Additionally, battles over territory that gain you an ability like this could be special fights, with unique battle objectives to make you have to work for it. This would add even more replay value to the game and prevent the game mode from becoming stale as well.

Finally, I propose a fairly radical reward for wiping a faction off the map. Gaining a weaker version of that factions passive ability for your entire army. While that would be a little crazy, I think it would be a huge additional incentive to taking out a specific faction outside of, I'm tired of fighting them, or, I don't want them getting too strong so I'll wipe them out early. Additionally, it would be pretty nasty if you let an AI take them out first as well since then they'd get the passive.

While I understand that my solutions are pretty crazy, I was going more for things that are exciting and would help with replay value. My intention was to give ideas that could inspire the devs to create tailor-made solutions for every problem, and hopefully make the game more fun by trying to bring more life to a game mode that's clearly the focus of Battlesector's post-launch development. As a last selfish request, I humbly ask for the Custodes to be added as a playable faction, and super-heavies like Land Raiders, Carnifexes or Swarmlords, and awakened monoliths or Tesseract Vaults at some point in the future of the game's life cycle. Thank you very much for creating this amazing game, and I'm extremely hopeful about it's future. Keep up the great work!

Return to “Planetary Supremacy”