Tibetan Turmoil

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Tibetan Turmoil

Post by GDod »

Register your interest here. New Players welcome. Suggestions for army size and terrain for sieges included.

TIBETAN TURMOIL :- THE RULES

To win a Tribe and their retainers must control the majority of all significant provinces to control Tibet and elect the next Dali Lama.

General
  • There are no turns but a player may only issue one challenge at a time for any province bordering any of their provinces until the result is posted.
  • Acceptance is posted once the challenge has been posted. (Open battle, large armies, wide, pot luck terrain)
  • First challenge posted bumps any subsequent challenge for the province until the challenge is resolved and the result is posted.
  • Unanswered challenges lose the province after two weeks.
  • Fortified provinces (those with a symbol) are a two phase process: an open battle and an attack and defend game.
  • White provinces (if any) play no part in the game as they are minor tribes of no significance.
Armies
Armies to choose from are from the MANDATE OF HEAVEN DLC:- They can be either Western Mongol 1650-1700, Tibetan Lords 1650-1700, Tibetan Rivals 1650-1700, Northern Rebels 1597-1683, or Tribal Rebels 1595-1700

Special Buddhist school affiliation advantages
  • Gelug School:-50% chance of issuing an additional challenge (maximum 2 at any one time)
  • Ganden school:- 50% chance to decline a challenge
  • Jonang school:- 50% chance of rebelling if a retainer
  • Kagyu school:- If a challenge is successful they have a 10% chance of converting unchallenged, unfortified provinces bordering their new acquisition.
Retainers
  • A tribe will join another tribe as a retainer if they loose more than half of their provinces to another tribe or their fortified province is taken.
If this happens they retain their colour and continue playing as a retainer, adding their conquests to their new Lord’s total, and they change their school to the new tribe’s school.
They cannot attack their Lord but if their new Lord loses more than half their provinces, or their Lord's fortified province is taken by another tribe, they are no longer a retainer.
  • In any battle if either a CinC is killed in battle and they lose the battle, the tribe surrenders to the winning clan and becomes their retainer and they change their school to the new tribe’s school.
Attacking a Home Province (a two phase battle process)
  • First phase is an open battle, large armies, wide map, agricultural
If the defender loses then the siege of the fortress begins
  • This is an attack/defend game, small battle, narrow map, Western Mongols - steppe terrain, Tibetan Lords and Rivals - mountain terrain
Tibetan Campaign.gif
Tibetan Campaign.gif (240.71 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Last edited by GDod on Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: Tibetan Turmoil

Post by ahuyton »

Great idea, Gavin, count me in.

Can I suggest a couple of tweaks? Western Mongols get steppe terrain when defending, Tibetan Lords and Rivals get mountain terrain when defending in the Home Province second battle. If this complicates too much then just ignore it.

Happy to play any side, with a slight preference for Tibetan or Mongol.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

ahuyton wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:57 am Great idea, Gavin, count me in.

Can I suggest a couple of tweaks? Western Mongols get steppe terrain when defending, Tibetan Lords and Rivals get mountain terrain when defending in the Home Province second battle. If this complicates too much then just ignore it.

Happy to play any side, with a slight preference for Tibetan or Mongol.
Happy to see what others think...sounds and interesting suggestion.

Other possibilities for discussion include:-
  • the reinforcements option if you have retainers, or perhaps a bordering province.
  • large army sizes
  • one week unanswered consequence rather than two
AlexDetrojan
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by AlexDetrojan »

Count me in. Sounds like a lot of fun. I agree with Alan about the steppe and mountainous terrain idea. I've been practicing a lot with tribal rebels in mandate of heaven...so they would be my choice if available. Btw the last campaign was brilliant! As an aside when this campaign is over might I suggest another? I call it Pirates and Potentates. It would be wokou pirates against china, Korea and Japan...arrrgh!
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Gavin, on your three points,
- suggest to keep it simple and not allow reinforcements, it will be easier to administer as well
- fully in favour of large or very large as we will have cavalry armies and cav are very expensive in SJ
- no strong views, but with some discretion on your side. You know who is reliable and if a reason for the delay is acceptable. If Brian continues his reign as Supreme Mighty Overlord and orders attacks on all provinces of one player it might be necessary to give some leeway to the poor defender!
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

ahuyton wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:53 pm If Brian continues his reign as Supreme Mighty Overlord and orders attacks on all provinces of one player it might be necessary to give some leeway to the poor defender!
No problem they can always join either the
Ganden school with a 50% chance to decline a challenge, or the Jonang school with a 50% chance of rebelling if a retainer. :D
Pirates and Potentates. It would be wokou pirates against china, Korea and Japan...arrrgh!
That sounds like a fun one Alex...do they have parrots?
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

GDod wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:40 pm
TIBETAN TURMOIL :- THE RULES

To win a Tribe and their retainers must control 10 significant provinces to control Tibet and elect the next Dali Lama.

General
  • There are no turns but a player may only issue one challenge at a time for any province bordering any of their provinces until the result is posted.
  • Acceptance is posted once the challenge has been posted. (Open battle, large armies, wide, pot luck terrain)
  • First challenge posted bumps any subsequent challenge for the province until the challenge is resolved and the result is posted.
  • Unanswered challenges loose the province after one week.
  • Fortified provinces (those with a symbol) are a two phase process: an open battle and an attack and defend game.
  • White provinces (if any) play no part in the game as they are minor tribes of no significance.
Armies
Armies to choose from are from the MANDATE OF HEAVEN DLC:- They can be either Western Mongol 1650-1700, Tibetan Lords 1650-1700, Tibetan Rivals 1650-1700, Northern Rebels 1597-1683, or Tribal Rebels 1595-1700

Special Buddhist school affiliation advantages
  • Gelug School:-50% chance of issuing an additional challenge (maximum 2 at any one time)
  • Ganden school:- 50% chance to decline a challenge
  • Jonang school:- 50% chance of rebelling if a retainer
  • Kagyu school:- If a challenge is successful they have a 10% chance of converting unchallenged, unfortified provinces bordering their new acquisition.
Retainers
  • A tribe will join another tribe as a retainer if they loose more than half of their provinces to another tribe or their fortified province is taken.
If this happens they retain their colour and continue playing as a retainer, adding their conquests to their new Lord’s total, and they change their school to the new tribe’s school.
They cannot attack their Lord but if their new Lord loses more than half their provinces, or their Lord's fortified province is taken by another tribe, they are no longer a retainer.
  • In any battle if either a CinC is killed in battle and they lose the battle, the tribe surrenders to the winning clan and becomes their retainer and they change their school to the new tribe’s school.
Attacking a Home Province (a two phase battle process)
  • First phase is an open battle, large armies, wide map, agricultural
If the defender loses then the siege of the fortress begins
  • This is an attack/defend game, small armies, battle, narrow map, hilly terrain

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Note:- Changes to finalized rules are in Red. Challenges, taunts and threats can be issued from 14th in a zen-like fashion. Also, note the change from the previous campaign - challenges can only be made for provinces bordering your own. Good luck to you, but most of all enjoy and have fun.
Registered Players and starting provinces.png
Registered Players and starting provinces.png (39.53 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Tibetan Campaignstart.gif
Tibetan Campaignstart.gif (239.87 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Last edited by GDod on Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Nice map, Gavon, and thanks for taking on the suggestions.

I would be content with Western Mongol and to be adherent of the Jonang school. However, in the unlikely case that someone else wants this army, I can switch to Tibetan.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

ahuyton wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:29 am Nice map, Gavon, and thanks for taking on the suggestions.

I would be content with Western Mongol and to be adherent of the Jonang school. However, in the unlikely case that someone else wants this army, I can switch to Tibetan.
Western Mongol and adherent of the Jonang school confirmed Alan

I myself have chosen Tibetan Lords 1650-1700 who are adherents to the Kagyu school.Although, I'd like someone other than myself to "roll the dice" for bordering provinces in the event I actually win a game :D

The campaign is designed for 7-9 players Alan. So, more than one player can opt for an army...there were a number of Mongol eg: Boshigo jinong of the Three Right Wing Tumens expressed his allegiance to Ligden Khan who was a head of the Oirats (These were made up of four sub-tribes. They converted to Tibetan Buddhism around 1615, but it was not long before they became involved in the conflict between the Gelug and Karma Kagyu schools). Whereas, the Tumeds under Altan Khan were another Mongol subgroup who recaptured Karakorum from the hands of the Oirats. They are also famous for being the first of the Mongol tribes who converted to Buddhism. A similar situation existed for the Tibetan Lords, rivals and rebels.
AlexDetrojan

Post by AlexDetrojan »

Tribal rebels Gavin if possible, Jonang school. Btw, Wokou pirates didn't have parrots, but they had monkey's! 🙉 (As per your query 😁)
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

AlexDetrojan wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:32 pm Tribal rebels Gavin if possible, Jonang school. Btw, Wokou pirates didn't have parrots, but they had monkey's! 🙉 (As per your query 😁)
Tribal rebels and Jonang school confirmed Alex.
That's for the observation. Hopefully, they were small monkeys, or maybe they have large broad shoulders.

I've been coming to grips with the turbulent history, characters and allegiances of 16th/17th Mongol/Tibetan/Bhutan politics and military maneuvering. It's mindbogglingly complicated, but I think I've unraveled some of the names and deeds of the main belligerents during the middle 1600's, though I've taken a few liberties with overlapping timelines. However, Most personalities existed in the middle of the period and were involved in the turmoil (* with the exception of Norbu Zangpo whose dynasty was supplantedearly in 16oo's by the Tsangpa).
Registered Players and starting provinces.png (43.05 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
lascar
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by lascar »

Sign me up for a Tibetan Lord: Mipham Sonam, Jonang school please.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

lascar wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:49 pm Sign me up for a Tibetan Lord: Mipham Sonam, Jonang school please.
Tibetan Lord and Jonang School confirmed Dave
Registered Players and starting provinces.png (41.96 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
Tibetan Campaign.gif
Tibetan Campaign.gif (240.71 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Tribal Rebels of the Gelug School
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

KiwiWarlord wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:20 am Tribal Rebels of the Gelug School
Tribal Rebels of the Gelug School confirmed Brian
Registered Players and starting provinces.png (41.44 KiB) Viewed 972 times
Tibetan Campaign.gif
Tibetan Campaign.gif (240.71 KiB) Viewed 972 times
PeterThePainter
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by PeterThePainter »

Count me please Gavin.

After much deliberation over army choice - Tibetans as championed by Snuggles, or Tribal rebels which I have used before and come with Impact foot, I decided to act out of character and go with Western Mongols with all those horses. That will be something to think about.

I am a follower of the Kagyu school (no need to rebel, no need to decline a challenge and no time to play two games at once! In brief an optimist).
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

PeterThePainter wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:43 pm Count me please Gavin. After much deliberation over army choice - Tibetans as championed by Snuggles, or Tribal rebels which I have used before and come with Impact foot, I decided to act out of character and go with Western Mongols with all those horses. That will be something to think about.

I am a follower of the Kagyu school (no need to rebel, no need to decline a challenge and no time to play two games at once! In brief an optimist).
Western Mongols and the Kagyu School confirmed Peter. Only three places remain to be filled. Don't miss out.
Registered Players and starting provinces.png (42.08 KiB) Viewed 946 times
Tibetan Campaign.gif
Tibetan Campaign.gif (240.71 KiB) Viewed 946 times
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

We may have to shelve the attack and defend steppe options team. Brian and I have played test games of attack/defend, steppe, both small and medium. It appears impossible to defend with the difference in points. We're now trying attack/defend, mountain and hilly, small with the points difference and equal pts (though defender gets 30 pts extra for some reason (ie 700/730) and small is auto changed to medium for terrain).
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Gavin, I am happy eith whatever solution you and Brian come up with.
AlexDetrojan

Post by AlexDetrojan »

Hi Gavin. I was looking at the player chart and noticed you put me down as tibetan rebel. I had requested tribal rebels, is it possible to still be put down as tribal rebels? Thanks.

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Tournaments & Leagues”