OoB Open Tournament - February 2023

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

JHeim
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: OoB Open Tournament - February 2023

Post by JHeim »

I'll add my voice to agree with this. I was shocked when I learned that achieving the immediate victory condition would not always maximize one's score. Now that I know that, I'm currently trying to milk some more points out of one of my Wake Island matches before seizing the US HQ, but it is a very weird dynamic.
pupski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by pupski »

For me it's a bit confusing that you can math out or count victory points that you get from kills or occupation but the Gold objectives and/or final objectives have a cloud of point mystery hanging over them. I'll keep a number of 40 into my head while playing and try to remember that it will probably be lower towards the end of the game. But it would be nicer if it was/has a clear point value like all other objectives. Now my valiant turn 7 victory gets punished, sort of :-). Poor me, snif, snif.. :-)
mrobinson9
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by mrobinson9 »

JHeim wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:20 pm I'll add my voice to agree with this. I was shocked when I learned that achieving the immediate victory condition would not always maximize one's score. Now that I know that, I'm currently trying to milk some more points out of one of my Wake Island matches before seizing the US HQ, but it is a very weird dynamic.
I was the opponent in this game and understood the points dynamic. I was outplayed and JHeim deserved all the points that he was able to "milk". I still tried to do my best to limit the magnitude of his victory. Such are the fortunes of war.
AdmiralYamamoto
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AdmiralYamamoto »

mrobinson9 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:30 pm
JHeim wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:20 pm I'll add my voice to agree with this. I was shocked when I learned that achieving the immediate victory condition would not always maximize one's score. Now that I know that, I'm currently trying to milk some more points out of one of my Wake Island matches before seizing the US HQ, but it is a very weird dynamic.
I was the opponent in this game and understood the points dynamic. I was outplayed and JHeim deserved all the points that he was able to "milk". I still tried to do my best to limit the magnitude of his victory. Such are the fortunes of war.
Thank you very much Robinson for holding Jheim back a few points otherwise he and I might have been paired up in round 3. I know that he is a very good player. He and I probably should have been paired up anyway in round 3 if he had not gotten screwed out of points in round 1 due to his opponent taking a few turns.

Tournament play is like American College Football. You have to run up the scores in those first games so that you can make the final 4. Tournaments are all about the points you earn and not the realistic objectives of war.

Yes, it is unfortunate that the points earned for capturing HQ's is a secret. It would be nice to have them listed upfront in the objective table. You do have the ability though to figure out the values by using the Hotseat function. I usually setup a Hotseat match and run some tests on it to see how many points you earn for capturing an HQ. You can figure out how much it is worth each turn by testing the capture on several turns. The point value typically reduces each turn by a simple amount. Typically it is 7 point per turn but Wake Island was only 4 points I believe. These values all depend on the scenario designer. So for Wake Island it was much more valuable to kill more enemy units and to take more objectives before capturing the HQ.

Best of luck to everyone in round 3.
Admiral Yamamoto
AdmiralYamamoto
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Deleted
Last edited by AdmiralYamamoto on Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admiral Yamamoto
weizhinaihe
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by weizhinaihe »

AdmiralYamamoto wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:06 pm Brokegnarf, I sent you a private message. Feel free to respond to it if you like.
Scared :shock:
JHeim

Post by JHeim »

mrobinson9 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:30 pm
Thanks to mrobinson9 for the great sportsmanship! My largest concern about the need to run up the score was whether my opponent would persist, and he did.

Good luck to all in the final round…
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Safe to say, there will be some rebalancing of the points on Wake before it's used in a tournament again
Netballman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Netballman »

weizhinaihe wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:57 am
AdmiralYamamoto wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:06 pm Brokegnarf, I sent you a private message. Feel free to respond to it if you like.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
They'll be secretly partitioning Poland! 8)
Redbird
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Redbird »

Netballman wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:47 pm
Do you think they're russian to play the next round?
Netballman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Netballman »

Redbird wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:09 pm

Now where is that "slaps forehead" smiley when you need it? :lol:
AdmiralYamamoto
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Netballman wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:17 pm
No word from Brokegnarf on the partition of Poland. The offer has been rescinded now that we are facing one another in round 3 due to Netballman's big comeback in the 4th quarter.
Admiral Yamamoto
AdmiralYamamoto
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Shards wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:05 pm Safe to say, there will be some rebalancing of the points on Wake before it's used in a tournament again
Yes, You will probably have to take Wake Island out of the mix for tournament play. The key feature of this scenario is the uncertainty of where the Japanese will land troops. With the glitch that Weizhinaihe has pointed out about the flashing notification of the deployment of Japanese naval and air units, this FOW has been lifted. The better players will now all know how to figure out where the enemy is probably going to land making it almost impossible for the weaker players to even get a foot hold on Wake. I believe that most of the bigger scores were due to the Japanese taking the HQ on the last turn. The flashing glitch can make a huge swing in points between those who utilize it and those who don't.
Admiral Yamamoto
pupski

Post by pupski »

Talking about Glitching, this goes up for Crescent Bay as well, easy to see where the planes and ships will start although in this scenario that's less dramatic to know. Worse there is that you can follow their movement by magic radar, even when a plane or ships leaves visual range. I would never use that glitch of course..
Netballman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Netballman »

I don't have a big problem with the "flashing notification" glitch... Iirc, if you deploy, undeploy, redeploy, undeploy.... you can cause loads of false flashes. After all, it's seldom you would be COMPLETELY blind as to an enemy's broad disposition. I always took it as just part of the fog of war and possible misinformation...!
Redbird

Post by Redbird »

AdmiralYamamoto wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:26 pm

No word from Brokegnarf on the partition of Poland. The offer has been rescinded now that we are facing one another in round 3 due to Netballman's big comeback in the 4th quarter.
A similar thing happened in The Summer of '41: Barb, Barb, Barb. Barb, Barbarossa.
Netballman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Netballman »

Redbird wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:27 am Summer of '41: Barb, Barb, Barb. Barb, Barbarossa.
Sounds like Bryan Adams met the Beach Boys 8) :lol:
Sidlicious

Post by Sidlicious »

pupski wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:24 pm
Sidlicious wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:52 am Hi all!

My 1st tournament ever and liking it....but....is it normal to wait 3 days for your opponent to make a move?
All the best and good luck to all the participants!
A lot of players manage to play at least daily but some players don't manage to do that. Also a small part doesn't show up at all, there are numerous reasons that live can throw at us players, including lack of time, life issues or disinterest to name a few. You get a decent point compensation for your score after the time has expired when your opponent played less or not at all, but you miss out on the fun of playing the game. At the moment I am waiting five days for my opponent to start his game. Playing is more fun than waiting :-)
Thank you for the answer.
(I'll get a bit toxic now, since I'm getting fed up with doing 1 (or 2 if I'm lucky) moves in a week!)

I understand that life gets in the way, but not when I see a pattern reoccuring, being absent for more then 3 to 5 days is part of a strategy I would think.
The waiting game bores out the opponent so it evantually comes to quiting all together, giving the one who played the absent game all the points.
Looking at the stats (my current opponent) this player has in this and former tournaments, my eyebrows drop and I start to wonder how close I am to the thruth about my explanation on the "waiting game scenario"....

In my opinion, if your life comes in the way of playing a tournament with a reasonable attendance, you shouldn't sign up in the first place.
I for one am ready to throw in the towel because in all honesty, waiting on an opponent 'till he/she sees fit to make a move is not participating on a timely manner, and should be made clear in the rules.

The Dev's can check the players name I'm talking about, and I'm very dissapointed it had to come to this.
For better luck in the future, may the best win!
brokegnarf

Post by brokegnarf »

AdmiralYamamoto wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:26 pm
Netballman wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:17 pm

Sorry guys, I was not aware of the tournament related forum posts, as this is my first tournament. Just found the thread accidentally by clicking around :oops: .
Now I'm really curious what your proposal would have been AdmiralYamamoto :?:

But anyway the best of luck for the final round to everyone!!!
rth
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by rth »

to JHeim:
sorry forgot again that in this game, when changing the movement, no message window appears and so I forgot to answer,
yes all right, I always adapt to the speed of my opponent
except on 14.03. I won't be able to play until evening, according to German time

good luck and have an exciting final fight,

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Multiplayer”