Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

amenhotep13
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: OoB Open Tournament - February 2023

Post by amenhotep13 »

weizhinaihe wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:14 am
amenhotep13 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:46 pm It's a "half bug" 🙂

I tried it on a hotseat game. The jeep can be deployed and heal a bunker or hangar or anything at arrival but if you remove it then it can't be deployed again in the deploy phase. Although the healed unit remains healed
It can be deployed in further turns but it's not able to heal at arrival

Is it the same in hotseat and PBEM ? I don't know
Don't remove it. Just deploy it to another position - I mean just click another position that you can deploy something.
Yes. It's a real bug. Just taking and placing elsewhere instead of removing and entering again, the jeep can heal everything with 3 pts before leaving the deployment phase
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

I've submitted a fix for this issue for the next patch...

(Essentially I'm just going to predeploy the jeep as an aux unit)
pupski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by pupski »

Ah okay! But fixing bunker guns after deployment will still work or is that part of the bug?
I mean during gameplay, I tried that and that works normally..
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

That's a gameplay code thing. Probably not worth chasing down.

The only "breaking" issue here for me is the abuse of the skill during deployment, that feels very unfair. Running a jeep around and fixing up one turret at a time during the game turns seems a fair use.
pupski

Post by pupski »

I am very happy that my opponent showed up and we have played a couple of turns. I didn't use the bug and it feels good :-)
Like Walhalla good...
omistaja
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by omistaja »

weizhinaihe wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:42 am Ahem... The American force seems so weak so I make many attempts to find effective strategy for defending, but I seem to have exploited a bug according to @Shards, I'm sorry for that. :(
It's finally over, that was not fun battle to play..

Maybe there is another bug in this scenario? It looks that the Japan's first landing crafts are visible to Americans, if you zoom out the whole map before American deploying . Based on the replay, you had moved the troops many times around the table, maybe because it would be harder to see where your units finally deployed? And as a American you had quite a concentration on those beaches where I was supposed to land.

But well played, hopefully next time we have a better match.
pupski

Post by pupski »

How did Weizhinaihe get his score so high. I took the American base on turn 8 ending the game with only 104 points total as the result of that match. Should I have been fighting longer keeping other bases occupied instead of taken the HQ so fast? Just wondering what would work better...
omistaja

Post by omistaja »

pupski wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:16 pm How did Weizhinaihe get his score so high. I took the American base on turn 8 ending the game with only 104 points total as the result of that match. Should I have been fighting longer keeping other bases occupied instead of taken the HQ so fast? Just wondering what would work better...
Our battle ended in the last turn, so no need to hurry in this scenario..
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

omistaja wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:10 pm
weizhinaihe wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:42 am Ahem... The American force seems so weak so I make many attempts to find effective strategy for defending, but I seem to have exploited a bug according to @Shards, I'm sorry for that. :(

Maybe there is another bug in this scenario? It looks that the Japan's first landing crafts are visible to Americans, if you zoom out the whole map before American deploying . Based on the replay, you had moved the troops many times around the table, maybe because it would be harder to see where your units finally deployed? And as a American you had quite a concentration on those beaches where I was supposed to land.

That is indeed some deep understanding of the quirks of oob.

You can indeed see radar pings for ship and air deployments (I don't know how old this bug is, I'm going to guess very). It's how the game works, so it's not cheating. I'd also guess that someone has done maths about exactly the best way to extract the most points from this scen 😅
weizhinaihe

Post by weizhinaihe »

omistaja wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:10 pm

If others deployed a plane/ship, you can see a radar-style icon flashing in the replay before you start your next turn. It happens in every multiplayer map with air/naval force, you can have a try within a new hotseat game. I deploy my troops according to those flashing icon and assume everyone know that so I change the deployment position many times for potential disturbance to opponent's detection. If it's also a bug I would be seriously shocked... Since it's not difficult to spot this widespread phenomenon(contrary to the previous med jeep bug), in my mind it should have been noted by the official team much earlier, but it exist for at least 3 years long since my first multiplayer game, so I've always treated it as a game mechanic. But it does make me feel weird :shock: so I can't say for sure and ... let's ask @Shards again ( ╯□╰ )
weizhinaihe

Post by weizhinaihe »

Oh looks like complement of the above reply took me a long time... So it's a bug that's very difficult to be fixed? I wonder why it still appears@_@
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

weizhinaihe wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:49 pm Oh looks like complement of the above reply took me a long time... So it's a bug that's very difficult to be fixed? I wonder why it still appears@_@
Probably because it very rarely rears it's head!
weizhinaihe

Post by weizhinaihe »

pupski wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:16 pm How did Weizhinaihe get his score so high. I took the American base on turn 8 ending the game with only 104 points total as the result of that match. Should I have been fighting longer keeping other bases occupied instead of taken the HQ so fast? Just wondering what would work better...
Occupy as many other bases as you can and destroy as many enemy troops and buildings as possible, don't take the HQ until the last turn, then you will get your scores maximized. Maybe some additional reward of quick winning can make the game more interesting.
weizhinaihe

Post by weizhinaihe »

Shards wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:53 pm
weizhinaihe wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:49 pm Oh looks like complement of the above reply took me a long time... So it's a bug that's very difficult to be fixed? I wonder why it still appears@_@
Probably because it very rarely rears it's head!
Emmm... Really? My worldview has been shaken :shock: It looks really obvious...
pupski

Post by pupski »

weizhinaihe wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:55 pm
Occupy as many other bases as you can and destroy as many enemy troops and buildings as possible, don't take the HQ until the last turn, then you will get your scores maximized. Maybe some additional reward of quick winning can make the game more interesting.
Ah yes, I didn't do the math correctly beforehand. I was just happy to jump the HQ this round after the beating you gave me last round where I wrongly understood the CP rules until it was too late :-)

I wonder what I will do wrong next round... hehe...
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Most people won't restart replays and go searching for the pings 😅

Also, other than this map, I can't think of a situation where I've noticed it
weizhinaihe

Post by weizhinaihe »

Shards wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:20 pm Most people won't restart replays and go searching for the pings 😅

Is this your way of dealing with a known bug by living with it and then speculating and trolling the users who find it? :x

Do you like to see your field of view wobble at high speed? On a not-so-small map, this is a very common situation. But if you turn off the camera focus option, you can easily ignore a lot of enemy movement, so I always zoom out to see the main part of the entire map. And when you zoom out, those icons are so obvious - they're sparkling! I can see them because I'm not blind, and there's no need to do anything like restart replays!
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

weizhinaihe wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:45 am
Shards wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:20 pm Most people won't restart replays and go searching for the pings 😅

Is this your way of dealing with a known bug by living with it and then speculating and trolling the users who find it? :x

Do you like to see your field of view wobble at high speed? On a not-so-small map, this is a very common situation. But if you turn off the camera focus option, you can easily ignore a lot of enemy movement, so I always zoom out to see the main part of the entire map. And when you zoom out, those icons are so obvious - they're sparkling! I can see them because I'm not blind, and there's no need to do anything like restart replays!
Sorry, it wasn't a troll. Just that I think most players stay zoomed in and don't notice the issue. Also, remember, I'm not the game developer! I can raise this issue with the dev, but I'd expect that it won't be a trivial fix (I'd imagine there's a good reason why they had spawn pings on these craft, probably for the Pacific campaigns somehow) so I'm not expecting it to be addressed any time soon.

You're using the tools and the systems of the game to play and score better than your opponent, that feels like the essence of good tournament play!

The one thing that is in my control is that I did design this map so I do have the power to tinker with the point awards and submit a map update to the devs and ask them to update it.
weizhinaihe

Post by weizhinaihe »

Shards wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:08 am
weizhinaihe wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:45 am

Sorry, it wasn't a troll. Just that I think most players stay zoomed in and don't notice the issue. Also, remember, I'm not the game developer! I can raise this issue with the dev, but I'd expect that it won't be a trivial fix (I'd imagine there's a good reason why they had spawn pings on these craft, probably for the Pacific campaigns somehow) so I'm not expecting it to be addressed any time soon.

You're using the tools and the systems of the game to play and score better than your opponent, that feels like the essence of good tournament play!

The one thing that is in my control is that I did design this map so I do have the power to tinker with the point awards and submit a map update to the devs and ask them to update it.
I know you're not a developer, but you're the most accessible official representative for us players. I can understand that it might not take long to fix this bug, and I hope you understand that users have different habits and that such long-standing bugs will be found sooner or later (probably by a lot of people in total).
There are a lot of interesting tournament maps, thanks for your great work!
I'm not a native English speaker, so I apologise in advance for any misunderstandings about the subtle meanings in the text.
Netballman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Netballman »

weizhinaihe wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:55 pm Maybe some additional reward of quick winning can make the game more interesting.
Seconded. Debates about exploiting mechanics in tournaments aside, it would seem natural justice that to win in less time is more difficult than in more time, thus worthy of recognition and reward in scoring. Why take risks if there is no proportionate reward?

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Multiplayer”