[Brave new World] 3- Battle of the Bulge

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

StuccoFresco
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

[Brave new World] 3- Battle of the Bulge

Post by StuccoFresco »

With the railway to Varna cut off, the British offensives are quickly called off: the sheer mass of British troops around the city consumes an enormous amount of supplies that can’t be transported by trucks through the paved roads leading to the city. This gives an immediate respite to the battered Yugoslavian units that were struggling to contain the British push, but also paints a giant target on the Joint Operations’ Command’s troops near Chernomorets.

We expected a counterattack, but not this fast: not even 5 days after the end of Operation Scoilt, the British have mustered enough troops for a pincer attack on our positions. We have detected two veteran Corps attacking from Varna and the entire 13th Army coming from the east to crush our positions in what has been called simply The Bulge. The Commonwealth Air Force has shown up with overwhelming numbers, while our own Wings are still awaiting their replacements.

The Yugoslavian Armija will hold the western flank, while our troops will deal with the eastern one. Our troops didn’t have enough time to replenish their strength, nor were we able to establish a supply chain adequate to sustain both armies. The enemy will surely field plenty of tanks and their famed Ironsides to crush us; we can cede ground at first, but at the end of the battle Chernomorets must still be in our hands to ensure the railway stays closed.

30/8/1943
Both us and the Yugoslavians think the British onslaught is severe enough to warrant blowing up all the bridges over the rivers guarding our flanks. We have to cling to every possible advantage, and forcing the enemy to ford a river instead of rolling through concrete bridges is a good one. The supplies captured at Dospat during Operation Scoilt are also used to prop up our reserves.

As expected, the British advance to the riverline and then are forced to stop and prepare for a contested crossing. One of their Medium Guns Regiments comes too close to our positions around Glabrovo and is first targeted by our own heavy guns and then attacked by elements of the 105th Coisithe Division in a daring amphibious raid. The British are forced to leave behind the charred remains of dozens of howitzers and retreat.

At Chernomorets, British Bombers target our positions, saturating them with high explosive, but the massed AA and the intervention of our Eitleog Wings wipe out an entire Bomber Wing.

I decide to keep 6th and 4th Mhotaraithe Divisions in the reserve, between Gabrovo and Chernomorets. The 16th Meichnithe and 40th Armurtha Divisions advance closer to Chernomoret’s AA umbrella.

I give priority to rebuilding my mechanized and armored units to full strength.

31/8/1943
Gabrovo falls after a heavy artillery barrage and a direct assault by the British 101st Motorized Division supported by the heavy tanks of the 77th Armored Division. A Regiment from the veteran 100th Coisithe Division shores up the defenses outside the town. The 3rd Mhotaraithe Division advances to the riverline relieving other Coisithe regiments and strikes hard against several British bridgeheads northwest of the town.

Enemy Fighters hunt down our Interceptors and the Yugoslavian planes, but our 6th Eitleog Wing downs another weakened Bomber Wing over Chernomorets. There, heavy enemy shelling and repeated assaults force one of 15th Meichnithe Division’s regiments to the rearguard. Two of the 40th Armurtha Division’s tank regiments advance and help the 106th Coisithe Division to inflict heavy losses on two enemy infantry regiments trying to cross the river over the old highway bridge’s ruins.

The Yugoslavians are under heavy attack west of Dospat and Senovo, where a British Ironsides Brigade is fording the river; the Yugoslavian commander doesn’t like the idea of the British assault troops crossing unopposed, so it sends the 11th Tenkovske Division to attack the bridgehead. The assault is supported by an Artiljerija Regiment and absolutely pummels the Ironsides, inflicting crippling casualties: the Yugoslavian tanks have an easy time targeting the slow R-42 “Baron” assault guns as they ford the river, and they overwhelm the thick armor by either aiming for weak spots or just hitting it enough times to create one. The IX Pesadija Korpus guards a wide bend in the river, in front of which several British Motorized Divisions are passing. They are apparently headed northeast toward Senovo, but it’s too early to abandon the defensive positions and leave this sector wide open.

1/9/1943
The British pressure against Chernomorets is growing, but II Còr is beating back every assault so far, exacting a heavy toll on any enemy unit that tries to cross the river.

I Còr is in a worse shape, due to its limited armored support: its Heavy Artillery Regiment helps a lot, but the sheer mass of enemy infantry and the presence of the British 77th Armored Division are already threatening to overwhelm the defense. The veteran 3rd Mhotaraithe is fully committed to defend the riverline, and the 100th Coisithe has spotted an armored regiment fording the river southeast of Gabrovo. If the enemy heavy tanks reach the open terrain, it can spell doom for the entire formation. It may be safer to pull out of the riverline entirely to avoid a flanking maneuver.

Additionally, the threat of the enemy armor is severe enough to warrant pulling the 40th Armurtha Division out of Chernomorets and replacing it with 4th or 6th Mhotaraithe. This will weaken our lines in the key southern sector, but I have little choice.

The British Fighters swarm over Chernomorets and decimate the 6th Eitleog Wing, forcing it to retreat to our airfields.

Yugoslavian Engineering Battalions start mining the riverline sectors that can’t be guarded by their units. Further armored assaults against the British Ironsides leave the enemy Brigade in tatters, barely functional anymore. The fording site is littered with no less than a hundred assault guns and other vehicles, while the corpses of the British assault troops are washed downstream by the currents. In the south, however, the enemy have managed to establish numerous beachheads preventing the Yugoslavian IV Konjica Korpus from concentrating its fire against each one separately. A series of mechanized and armored assaults finally dislodge the defenders from the river banks, and the frontline is breached.

StuccoFresco

Re: [Brave new World] 3- Battle of the Bulge

Post by StuccoFresco »

S/F-6d “Pleiades”
The S/F-6 was such a successful design that the Supermarine design bureau just couldn’t develop a significantly better one within the cost limits provided by the War Cabinet. A better engine was all that was needed regarding big improvements, while all other changes were minor enhancements.

The “new” fighter entered service in early 1944 so seamlessly that the production rates stayed almost the same during the introduction. The pilots found a very familiar machine with improved characteristics, making the acclimatation extremely smooth and quick.

StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

2/9/1943
British pressure against I Còr is starting to become overwhelming, and their tanks are now on open terrain south of Gabrovo, so it’s time to withdraw. I form a new defensive line southwest of the city, where some hills can provide a defensive boost, and use my Sealgair Brigades to guard against armored thrusts. The 40th Armurtha is headed north with the 80° Sealgair Brigade to fight the enemy tanks, but one of its Regiments is lagging behind because it needs to rest a bit.

The 4th Mhotaraithe Divison’s patrols spot enemy infantry in the woods northeast of Tran: the sneaky British have forded the river and marched through swamps and forests to take me by surprise. Since the Mhotaraithe Division was still severely understrength from Operation Scoilt, I have to replenish its ranks if I want to give it a chance against the new threat.

At Chernomorets, the 106th Coisithe Division spots an enemy Medium Guns Regiment pulling up to the shore, so it launches an amphibious assault that leads to at least 30 guns being destroyed. It was a risky move, but British artillery was relentlessly pounding my lines and I feel it was worth it.

The 15th and 16th Meichnithe Divisions are still fighting in the city to keep the British out; 32° Ironsides have concentrated in front of the blown up bridges, setting up for an assault. All I can do is to order my artillery to pound them, to little effect. The 82° Sealgair Brigade will have to do its best to snipe the enemy’s “Baron” assault guns and prevent them from breaching my lines.

I try to send the 10th Boumadoir Wing to attack the enemy tanks but as my CAS planes approach the target they are met with withering AA fire from a Support Gun Regiment and the British X Infantry Corp’s SPAA trucks.

3/9/1943
British forces are amassing against the Yugoslavian lines. At Gabrovo, my lines keep withdrawing and using the Sealgair Brigades as a mobile reserve. 40th Armurtha arrives in the area and destroys the British X Infantry Corps HQ, as well as crippling an Infantry Regiment that was harassing I Còr’s withdrawal. 4th Mhotaraithe Division is successfully engaging the British infantry that tried to infiltrate my lines.

At Chernomorets, it seems the British are still gathering their numbers before a big assault; the 106th Coisithe Regiment that ambushed the British artillery has been beaten back to our side of the river, but the 15th and 16th Meichnithe Divisions are almost at full strength and entrenched, with plenty of artillery and antitank support as well as two HQs coordinating every movement.

4/9/1943
Ok so the assault on Chernomorets came, as expected. A single Regiment of the 15th Meichnithe took the brunt of the Ironsides’ assault, but it’s not too bad although it almost lost half its strength. I rotate them out of the fight and replace them with a fresh, full strength Regiment. I got another problem, though: an Armored Regiment with heavy tanks is fording the river southeast of the city; fortunately, there is a nice mountain right in front of them, so I send a Regiment from the 16th Meichnithe Division to occupy it and block the penetration. My artillery targets the enemy tanks and the Ironsides, but doesn’t do much.

Enemy units are flanking I Còr on both sides, and that’s really bad news; I got an entire, full strength Armored Regiment running toward Patchkovtsi and another one threatening my flank, but at least the city is garrisoned by a Yugoslavian Mechanizovane Regiment. The 40th Armurtha Division takes up defensive positions right in front of the enemy’s advancing armored thrust, backed by the 80° Sealgair Brigade.

The 4th Mhotaraithe Division is struggling to contain at least two enemy Infantry Division, so I decide to use the currently unused 6th Mhotaraithe Division to make a wide flanking move on the enemy and cut it off from supplies.

Despite a counterattack by the 36° Huszàr Brigade, Yugoslavian defenses west of Dospat are collapsing and their Engineers are starting to mine the roads leading east and north. The IX Pesadija Korpus is still immobile in its starting positions but I feel like it would be great if it sent something to prop up our defenses in the south.

5/9/1943
The armored roadblock northeast of Pachkovtsi didn’t work: the leading regiment of the 40th Armurtha Division was pushed back with high losses, albeit it took several British motorized regiments and an armored push to achieve it. The I Còr Turais is pressured from all parts by the advancing British infantry and it’s losing hundreds of soldiers and vehicles each day. This attrition is unsustainable.

South of Chernomorets, a British armored thrust along the river banks surprised the II Còr Turais’ HQ and dispersed it. The enemy heavy tanks are however very vulnerable, concentrated on a tight strip along the river, and thus vulnerable to a counterattack. After a suitable artillery preparation, I launch my mechanized units against them and decimate them. Unable to maneuver and face the incoming fire with their frontal armor, most of the British heavy tanks are taken out or at least immobilized after being hit on their sides.

The 4th and 6th Mhotaraithe Divisions manage to isolate the various British Infantry Regiments swarming in the area between Gabrovo and Chernomorets.

In the southwest, the Yugoslavian IX Pesadija Korpus finally decided to use its 21st Mehanizovane Division to shore up the defenses west of Dospat.
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

Vickers T-2 “Destroyer”
After the “Duke” shortcomings and the loss of Army commissions, the Vickers suffered a sharp decline in 1941-42, but by 1943 it was ready to unveil the next generation of heavy tanks. The T-2, the first original Vickers mass produced design, got the green light from the War Cabinet to the surprise of no one: the T-2 was heavily armored, had a massive gun, and was reliable and streamlined enough to ensure not to repeat the “Duke” fiasco.

The NO-6pdr gun was an improved version of the one mounted on the “Demolisher” tanks, with a big muzzle brake and increased precision thanks to a lengthened barrel. The sloped frontal plate was impenetrable to almost all AT guns in production up to 800m, and the massive 3-men turret had a similar front protection. The new Rolls Royce R-300 engine was purchased and installed to provide enough power, making the 58-ton tank able to move at a reasonable speed.

Overall, the “Destroyer” was among the best tanks in the world, with a reasonable cost to boot. The extreme weight, however, was a serious strain on logistics, forcing the railway companies to hastily develop specialized transport carts and the Minister of Transport to reinforce some older bridges and overpasses.

StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

6/9/1943
The situation is improving: the dangerous British 77th Armored Division has decided to head straight toward Pachkovtsi, and his rear is protected only by the 101st Motorized Division. Now free from the enemy armored threat, my own 40th Armurtha Division is free to crush the lightly armed British troops, break through their ranks and cut off the enemy’s armored thrust. The now overextended enemy forces are vulnerable to concentrated counterattacks, and the I Còr Turais manages to slowly regain control of its sector.

South of the I Còr, the 4th and 6th Mhotaraithe Divisions are eliminating the isolated pockets of British Infantry. Their mobility has overcome the enemy’s numerical superiority, and their commanders have shown impressive initiative and bravery in face of a difficult situation. Soon enough I’ll be able to divert them either north or south.

At Chernomorets, the enemy failed to capitalize on the weakened state of one of my Meichnithe Regiments, allowing me to rotate it out of combat and put a full strength one in its place. The defense of the city is going well, with the remains of the British armored regiment previously caught on the river banks surrendering to my troops. The enemy’s 32° Ironsides Brigade is weakened by its previously failed assaults, and after several hours of bombardment it loses its urban beachhead to a counterattack, leaving more “Baron” assault guns among the rubble of the docks.

The air war is still a nightmare: the British fighter outnumber our own 4 to 1 or worse, so I have little choice but to resort to hit-and-run tactics. My CAS Wings have been almost wiped out.

The Yugoslavian 21st Mehanizovane Division has launched a powerful counterattack against the British penetration west of Dospat, giving hope to the whole sector. At Pachkovtsi, a decisive counterattack by the 11th Tenkovske Division wipes out an entire Regiment off the 77th Armored Division.

7/9/1943
A few more big fights along the front seem to confirm my earlier assessment: the British offensive from the east seems to have lost steam. The Yugoslavian are pummeling the cut off British troops around Pachkovtsi, and they seem to have the situation west of Dospat under control (although the Engineering Battalion in the town has mined the western approaches). There still is a big mass of British troops west of Senovo, but the Yugoslavians have ferociously attacked everything that tried to cross the river, so the enemy doesn’t seem so eager to advance there.

8/9/1943
I didn’t expect any more trouble for I Còr, but then the 38° Ironsides Brigade showed up. Oh well, I have three Sealgair Brigades so I think I can inflict enough losses on them if they try to break though my lines, and after that I can counterattack with the 40th Armurtha Division.

All in all, the front seems to be stabilized. The 107th Coisithe Division finally arrives to secure the situation in the Bulge.

9-12/9/1943
Another lone Armored Regiment joins the battle against the decimated I Còr, but my troops are fighting for every inch of ground and the enemy looks as depleted and exhausted as us. The 4th and 6th Mhotaraithe Divisions have joined the battle and helped stabilize the front.

13-14/9/1943
Gabrovo is retaken as the British units dissolve around I Còr. The battle seems almost over, but suddenly the British manage to secure a crossing northwest of Senovo. Fortunately, the 107th and the newly arrived 108th Coisithe Divisions are arriving on the battlefield and can help stem the enemy’s advance.

15-18/9/1943
Three British Motorized Regiments and a Mechanized one are expanding their beachhead northwest of Senovo; The 107th Coisithe is trying to contain them and inflicts significant losses, but is buckling under the enemy’s weight. The 108th Coisithe is arriving, and I sent the 4th Mhotaraithe to form a defensive perimeter inside Senovo proper. Fortunately, the Yugoslavians have acknowledged the threat and are moving the 190th and 200th Pesadija Divisions northeast.

In the south, the remains of the 21st Mehanizovane supported by the decimated 35° and 36° Huszàr Brigades have crossed the river, hunting the fragments of the British XV Assault Corps.

The garrison of Chernomorets keep pushing back any threat to the city.

19/9/1943
The British offensive is contained by my infantry and the arrival of the Yugoslavian’s. The Battle of the Bulge is over: the British inflicted grievous casualties but failed to break through in any significant manner and the railways stays closed.

I’m pretty surprised Chernomorets held so well: probably due to initially concentrating A LOT of units there and mercilessly hitting on the British before I was forced to redeploy north. The 4th and 6th Mhotaraithe Divisions also did an excellent job at intercepting any enemy infiltration, helping immensely. Once again, mobility is king on the battlefield. The Yugoslavians proved hard as nails, guarding their front and needing a little help only at the very end.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - AAR”