110BC World Cup

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

angusosborne
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

110BC World Cup

Post by angusosborne »

I will open up another tournament using a football World Cup format with a group stage followed by knock-out finals.

The tournament size will depend on the number of signups. Ideally it will have 16 entrants split into groups of 4 who play each other in a round robin to qualify for playoffs, but it could have some groups of 3 if necessary to accommodate any number of participants (the 1930 World Cup had 13 entrants, and the 2026 World Cup will have 16 groups of 3). Groups will be seeded using TDC rankings (if someone is kind enough to share the data).

The group stage will consist of a round robin within each group. I will use Divisional Championship scoring: outright winners will get the difference in percentage losses + 60 points, draws and losses will score points equal to opponents losses.

Generals will be ranked within groups by points, and if a tie-breaker is needed they will be ranked by head-to-head results.

Qualification for the playoffs will depend upon the number of entrants. As an example, if there are 16 teams the Generals that finish first and second in their groups will advance to the Quarter finals, where first placed generals will be drawn randomly against the second-place generals. For other numbers of entrants there might be a round of 16 before, or there could be byes for the top qualifiers.

In the event of a playoff game that goes 24 hours without a winner, the general who has suffered less losses will proceed to the next round, or in a true draw (neither or both armies broken and losses are equal) it will be determined by the flip of a coin.

I will also set up a consolation competition for generals who do not qualify for the playoffs so as many people as possible get four games.

Each player will command an army from 110 BC. Allies are not allowed. Each army will be used by a single general and a general will use that army for the entire tournament. Each entrant should select three armies they would like to use in order of preference. In the case of multiple generals choosing the same army as their first preference one will be selected randomly to use it.

Battles are to be between armies of 1600 FP with random map type. Each general is allowed to reject one battlefield and call for another challenge to be started. If both generals each reject a battlefield the third battlefield must be used. Group stage challenges can be played concurrently and set up by either general. I will allow six weeks for completion of the Group stage and three weeks for each subsequent stage, but stages will begin sooner if all results come in.

Please indicate below if you would like to sign up. Post a list of three armies in order of preference that you would like to use. I will take allow two weeks for sign ups (31 March) and one further week after entries are closed to set the order to choose armies and finalize choices. As in The Divisional Championship you can change your army choice up to the last moment.
Last edited by angusosborne on Thu May 04, 2023 3:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
President of 110BC World Cup, Administrator of TDC V Imperial and WTC, Ever Green League Usurper (EGL 300 BC, EGL 900 AD, EGL 1240 AD)
Winner TDC III Dark Ages Division B
anderarcos11
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: 110BC World Cup

Post by anderarcos11 »

Im in.

1. Gallic
2. Sarmatian
3. Parthian
Last edited by anderarcos11 on Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

I'm in

1. Sarmations
2. Spanish (Iberian)
3. Greek (Western)

I can post the TDC preseason3 ELO rankings if you like; the current one's won't be finalized till after the season's over - which'll be after your deadline by a week or more.

Karvon
Last edited by Karvon on Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chaos Tourney and Little Wars Organizer, TDC V Early Medieval Coordinator
tyronec
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by tyronec »

Armies:
1. Gallic
2. Kushan
3. Thracian

I think your well chosen map reroll rules are the same as the HOML, not the TDC.
Indibil
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Indibil »

Count me in,
- Skythian
- Spanish (Iberian)
- Parthian
Thanks
angusosborne

Post by angusosborne »

tyronec wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:49 pm Armies:
1. Gallic
2. Kushan
3. Thracian

I think your well chosen map reroll rules are the same as the HOML, not the TDC.
Well thank you for creating them for me to copy
President of 110BC World Cup, Administrator of TDC V Imperial and WTC, Ever Green League Usurper (EGL 300 BC, EGL 900 AD, EGL 1240 AD)
TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen »

Count me in please ,it's about time I got a few more games in ☺

Kushan 130BC - 476AD
Galatian 280BC - 63BC
Indo-Greek 175BC-10AD

Cheers,
Dave
Last edited by TomoeGozen on Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

tyronec wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:49 pm
They are what I've used for several years in CT and LW as well. I proposed them for TDC when that started, but they chose a different variation.

Karvon
Chaos Tourney and Little Wars Organizer, TDC V Early Medieval Coordinator
tyronec
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by tyronec »

They are what I've used for several years in CT and LW as well. I proposed them for TDC when that started, but they chose a different variation.

Karvon
Ha - had forgotten that I had copied from you !
GeneralKostas
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by GeneralKostas »

Good day.
You have two topics for the same tournament. Which one is valid for sign-ups ?
random27
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by random27 »

hello i want to be in please

1) thracian 211-51 BC
2) kushan 130 BC-476 AD
3) roman 199-106 BC
angusosborne

Post by angusosborne »

GeneralKostas wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:17 am Good day.
This one, but I checked the other one also
GeneralKostas

Post by GeneralKostas »

angusosborne wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:43 pm
GeneralKostas wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:17 am Good day.
This one, but I checked the other one also
Ok. I will post my three army choices next week in this topic.
GeneralKostas

Post by GeneralKostas »

Armies list

1) Ptolemaic 166-56BC
2) Indo-Greek 175BC-10AD
3) Thracian (Getae) 279BC-46AD
SawyerK
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by SawyerK »

I will play using:
1. Galatian 280-63 BC
2. Seleucid 124-63 BC
3. Ptolemaic 166-56 BC
anderarcos11

Post by anderarcos11 »

Im in. Armies to follow.
angusosborne

110BC World Cup - 4 Places for Another Group

Post by angusosborne »

angusosborne wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:51 am I will open up another tournament using a football World Cup format with a group stage followed by knock-out finals.

The tournament size will depend on the number of signups. Ideally it will have 16 entrants split into groups of 4 who play each other in a round robin to qualify for playoffs, but it could have some groups of 3 if necessary to accommodate any number of participants (the 1930 World Cup had 13 entrants, and the 2026 World Cup will have 16 groups of 3). Groups will be seeded using TDC rankings (if someone is kind enough to share the data).

The group stage will consist of a round robin within each group. I will use Divisional Championship scoring: outright winners will get the difference in percentage losses + 60 points, draws and losses will score points equal to opponents losses.

Generals will be ranked within groups by points, and if a tie-breaker is needed they will be ranked by head-to-head results.

Qualification for the playoffs will depend upon the number of entrants. As an example, if there are 16 teams the Generals that finish first and second in their groups will advance to the Quarter finals, where first placed generals will be drawn randomly against the second-place generals. For other numbers of entrants there might be a round of 16 before, or there could be byes for the top qualifiers.

In the event of a playoff game that goes 24 hours without a winner, the general who has suffered less losses will proceed to the next round, or in a true draw (neither or both armies broken and losses are equal) it will be determined by the flip of a coin.

I will also set up a consolation competition for generals who do not qualify for the playoffs so as many people as possible get four games.

Each player will command an army from 110 BC. Allies are not allowed. Each army will be used by a single general and a general will use that army for the entire tournament. Each entrant should select three armies they would like to use in order of preference. In the case of multiple generals choosing the same army as their first preference one will be selected randomly to use it.

Battles are to be between armies of 1600 FP with random map type. Each general is allowed to reject one battlefield and call for another challenge to be started. If both generals each reject a battlefield the third battlefield must be used. Group stage challenges can be played concurrently and set up by either general. I will allow six weeks for completion of the Group stage and three weeks for each subsequent stage, but stages will begin sooner if all results come in.

Please indicate below if you would like to sign up. Post a list of three armies in order of preference that you would like to use. I will take allow two weeks for sign ups (31 March) and one further week after entries are closed to set the order to choose armies and finalize choices. As in The Divisional Championship you can change your army choice up to the last moment.
angusosborne

110BC World Cup - 4 Places for Another Group

Post by angusosborne »

Thanks. 12 is a good number for groups, but I would love it if we can get another group to get to 16, which I think is the perfect number.

I will invite some people in the weekend, but feel free to jump in now.
carpenkm

Post by carpenkm »

I'll give it a shot if there is space. I'll look at the armies tomorrow.
Holien
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Holien »

I am interested. Army list to follow.

1. Roman 199-106 BC

2. Ptolemaic 166-56 BC

3. Pontic 110-85 BC

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”