SpeedyCM
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Tides of Conquest Bronze Age campaign - turn 1, 1200 BC

Post by SpeedyCM »

Nijis wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:12 am
Mycenaeans attack Gasgan-allied Epirus
Map: Mediterranean Mountainous
Side 1 (Mycenaeans - Kronenblatt): Mycenaean (1250BC to 1180BC) Swifter than Eagles
Side 2 (Gasgans - SpeedyCM): Mycenaean (1250BC to 1180BC) Swifter than Eagles
Epirus has successfully held off the ravaging Mycenaean invaders 62-39.

In a drawn out and bloody battle which saw both army's right wings collapse and each army end up in the others starting position facing back the other way, the Epiran army eventually managed to come out on top.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

I believe that is all the battles!

I'm traveling right now. I thought I had brought all the files I'd needed to process the turn but I think I forgot the post-order, pre-battle savegame. At any rate I probably can't process the battle results until Sunday night. But hopefully we can move on to the next turn then.
kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kronenblatt »

Nijis wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:12 am I believe that is all the battles!

I'm traveling right now. I thought I had brought all the files I'd needed to process the turn but I think I forgot the post-order, pre-battle savegame. At any rate I probably can't process the battle results until Sunday night. But hopefully we can move on to the next turn then.
No hurry, Nijis: Take your time.

The Mycenaeans need to lick their wounds before embarking on the next task imposed on them by their mad king. :)

(I let the AI decide the orders throughout this campaign. The AI will lead. And I will follow. Because the Mycenaeans are at the mercy of the MAD and highly authoritarian High King Glados (madder than mad king Aegis). Or is he a genius, the Alexander of the second millennium BCE. Alexander reborn, but the other way around in time. Time will tell. And poor old Lelex, the High King’s elder bastard half brother and his helpless general, just has to carry out his orders, whatever they turn out to be. He who only gets to live for as long as he does what he’s told and doesn’t fail at it. There are plenty of bastard half brothers at the Mycanean court, older or younger, happy or at least not too unwilling to lead armies. Or not brave enough to decline the High King’s promotions.)
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

The turn is processed! I'll set June 6 as the deadline for the next round.
1196BC Closeup.jpg
1196BC Closeup.jpg (125.44 KiB) Viewed 589 times
1196 BC.jpg
1196 BC.jpg (148.74 KiB) Viewed 623 times
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3q5rp6t0ia068 ... 1.xml?dl=0

Download the next turn here. It should show up as game 45455, year 1196. If you have another saved gamed name fogsavexml_1, you may need to delete the old one (or you can also rename the new one to fogsavexml_9). As always, if this is too cumbersome or tricky, I can easily run you through your options by DM/email.

(I had earlier saved the game in GameMaster mode. This should be in player mode.)

The triumph of Assyrian arms has overturned the balance of power in Anatolia. The Hurrians break their treaty with the Hittite empire and pledge tribute to the new Mesopotamian hegemon. Meanwhile dissident princes in the southern Hittite tributaries of Arzawa and Kizzuwatna arrive in the court of Nineveh, seeking Assyrian backing for their claims. The king of Chaldea, humiliated by his defeat, agrees to allow his province to be integrated into the Assyrian empire in exchange for protection for his family and a generous pension. Word of Assyria's might as reached even to faraway Saba, and Assyrian merchants are given privileged status in the Arabian kingdom's incense markets.

The tribes of Colchis, wary of the growing power of the hegemon to their south, reach out to the Hittites for an alliance.

A horde of ferocious Gasgans descends on the rich city of Troy, sacks it, and establishes their own kingdom amid the ruins. It accepts as its first official act of the state an envoy from the Epirote hill tribes, who suggests that they might have a common enemy in the rapacious High King of the Achaeans in Sparta.

A huge force of Sea Peoples descend on the Nile Delta, defeat the Egyptians, but the losses inflicted by the defenders are too heavy to allow them to consolidate their victory and settle. The local nomarchs agree to hand over grain to the invaders, but do not capitulate. After replenishing themselves, the Sea Peoples prepare to move on.

Pharaoh's armies chastise the Nubians, but Egypt's defeat in the north takes a bit of the tarnish off of their victory. Nonetheless, the tribes of distant Punt are sufficiently impressed to welcome an Egyptian trading expedition which returns home with ivory and ostrich plumes.

Achaean traders have made inroads into the coasts of north Africa. However, a famine strikes the region, and hungry Libyans begin pushing outward, placing them into potential collision with both Sparta's new allies as well as tribes in Egypt's sphere of influence. Up and down the Nile Valley, priests warn their flocks that only the Son of Ra protects the Black Lands from the forces of chaos in the Red Lands, and it would be to everyone's advantage if they got their taxes in on time.

NOTE: The game assigns a realm to every battle, allowing for some varied proxy wars. Sometimes, especially where very distant tribes start migrating on the Eurasian steppe or the African Sahel belt, these lack much immediate impact on the main action unless one of the hordes manages to reach the Nile valley. Also, especially in the early periods, the armies may be quite similar. In this case there are not one but two Libyan migrations going on which will mostly clash with other Libyans. Feel free to allow these battles to be auto-resolved, or, if only one player has a major stake, I can take one side.
Last edited by Nijis on Mon May 29, 2023 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
anderarcos11

Post by anderarcos11 »

I don't know how to continue. The commands do not work the file. I think more explanation is needed
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

My apologies - I saved the game in GameMaster mode. There is a link in the upper left corner that allows you to switch to player mode, in which you can issue orders normally. The correct, player mode file should now be up.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

BRONZE AGE, 1196 BC:
Egyptians - anderarcos11 ORDERS IN
Assyrians - Karvon - ORDERS IN
Mycenaeans - Kronenblatt - ORDERS IN
Hittites - Cuddlefission - ORDERS IN
Gasgans - SpeedyCM
Sherden - Indibil
Last edited by Nijis on Tue May 30, 2023 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Nijis wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:39 am BRONZE AGE, 1196 BC:
Mycenaeans - Kronenblatt
Like first round, please have AI (representing the mad king) generate my orders. Applies also going forward, in future rounds. Thanks.

Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Got it. Glados 3.0 (TM), Microsoft's new proprietary statecraft neural network, will make the decision.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Nijis wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:38 pm Got it. Glados 3.0 (TM), Microsoft's new proprietary statecraft neural network, will make the decision.
:lol:

Cuddlefission
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Cuddlefission »

I believe there's actually a more local vendor - have you tried MinOS?
anderarcos11

Post by anderarcos11 »

Hello. When will we go to the next round?
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

anderarcos11 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:28 am Hello. When will we go to the next round?
Deadline for orders is June 6, so expect we'll get a new report in a day or so.

Karvon
Chaos Tourney and Little Wars Organizer, TDC V Early Medieval Coordinator
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Yep - will send out one last reminder and process in a few hours.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

1196 BC battle map.jpg
1196 BC battle map.jpg (192.46 KiB) Viewed 445 times
BATTLES OF THE YEAR 1196 BC
Descriptions to follow

Sherden horde try to settle in Assyrian-allied Nabatea COMPLETE
Map: Middle Eastern Agricultural
Side 1: Sea Peoples (1208BC to 1167BC) ROUT LEVEL 19
Side 2: Syro-Canaanite (1207BC to 1100BC) Swifter than Eagles ROUT LEVEL 49

Hittites intervene against Assyrian allies in Kizzuwatna COMPLETE
Map: Mediterranean Hilly
Side 1: Hittite (1275BC to 1180BC) Swifter than Eagles ROUT LEVEL 45
Side 2: Hittite (1275BC to 1180BC) Swifter than Eagles ROUT LEVEL 17

Egyptians attack Assyrian-allied Nabatea COMPLETE
Side 1: Egyptian (1276BC to 1201BC) Swifter than Eagles ROUT LEVEL 21
Side 2: Syro-Canaanite (1207BC to 1100BC) Swifter than Eagles ROUT LEVEL 49

Assyrians attack Egyptian-allied Syria COMPLETE
Map: Mediterranean Hilly
Side 1: Assyrian (1365BC to 891BC) Swifter than Eagles Rout level 41
Side 2: Syro-Canaanite (1207BC to 1100BC) Swifter than Eagles Rout level 63

Gasgans attack Mycenaean-allied Thracia CHALLENGE SENT
Map: Mediterranean Woods
Side 1: Gasgan (1450BC to 1076BC) Swifter than Eagles
Side 2: Mycenaean (1250BC to 1180BC) Swifter than Eagles

Hittites attack Assyrian-allied Hurria COMPLETE
Map: Middle Eastern Hilly
Side 1: Hittite (1275BC to 1180BC) Swifter than Eagles Rout Level 43
Side 2: Syro-Canaanite (1207BC to 1100BC) Swifter than Eagles Rout Level 61

Egyptians attack Assyrian-allied Blemmya COMPLETE
Map: Desert
Side 1: Egyptian (1276BC to 1201BC) Swifter than Eagles Rout level 35
Side 2: Libyan (3000BC to 800BC) FoG2: Rise of Rome Rout level 62

Gasgan-allied horde try to settle in Mycenaean-allied Cyrenaica - RANDOM RESOLUTION
Map: Middle Eastern Hilly
Side 1: Libyan (1261BC to 651BC) Swifter than Eagles
Side 2: Libyan (1261BC to 651BC) Swifter than Eagles
Last edited by Nijis on Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:04 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

King Uassurme of the Hittites stands on the ramparts of his cliff-top palace in his capital Hattusha as clouds gather across the valley. Above him stands an engraving of Tarhunna, lord of storms, but the king is aware that the worship of their ancestral god is dying out among the Hittite nobility in favor of new sun and fertility deities from the river-lands to the southeast. Uassurme is keenly aware of the precariousness of his rule, wondering if he will be forever remembered as the one who presided over his kingdom's destruction. The Gasgan migration has created a new rival to the west, but the more pressing threat is the expansion of Assyria and the contagion of rebellion that it has spread among his vassal princes. Consequently, he has ordered his armies to march into Kizzuwatna to crush a local pretender who has reached out to Nineveh as well as towards Hurria, which recently broke away from the Hittites and pledged fealty to the Assyrian.

The gaze of the Assyrian empire however is turned away from the Hittites, towards its western border. In Syria, several faithless cities pledged their everlasting loyalty to Assyria during the Hittite invasion four years ago only to withhold tribute when the Hittite menace had passed. It is time to punish them, and an army marches forth from Nineveh to do just that. Having antagonized both Hittites and Assyrians, Syria's cities turn to a third great power, Egypt, for support.

Egypt meanwhile pushes eastward. A recent commercial treaty with the tribes of Punt proved lucrative at first as merchants returned with incense and ivory. But wealth attracts raiders, and both Blemmya tribesmen have raided caravans making their way homeward by land while several Nabatean cities have sponsored pirates operating in the Red Sea. Pharaoh dispatches two expeditionary forces, one into the eastern desert and a second across the Sinai into Nabatea, to ensure that his merchants will no longer be troubled.

The Sherden horde that ravaged Egypt's Delta nomes meanwhile finds that it has exhausted the region's grain reserves, and pushes on. Ironically, its migration follows the same path as an Egyptian punitive expedition, heading eastward across the Sinai into Nabatea, although it pushes northward as the Egyptians turn south to tackle pirate bases in the Gulf of Aqaba. The local cities turn to Assyria for help against the double invasion.

The newly sedentary Gasgans spread out across the Ionian coast, their chieftains intermarrying with the Anatolian urban elites. The hard times of migration forgotten, Gasgan clans squabble over the spoils of conquest. Hoping to distract them, the king orders a military expedition northward into the lands across the Bosporus, where a number of tribes have been taking advantage of the collapse of Troy, former guardian of the straits, to rustle the region's famous horse-ranches.

In Achaea, mad King Glados is in a peaceful mood. He does however receive emissaries from the tribes of Thrace, begging Mycenaean assistance in repulsing Gasgan raiders. A more exotic envoy shows up dressed in leopard skins and a towering ostrich feather. He comes from Cyrenaica and is asking for Mycenaean help against rival tribes who are migrating eastward. A handful of Spartan warriors, nursed on legends of Cyrenaican dragons coiled around magical silphium plants, consider taking up the offer.
Last edited by Nijis on Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
anderarcos11

Post by anderarcos11 »

Challengues created, pm sent

Egyptians attack Assyrian-allied Blemmya
Map: Desert
Side 1: Egyptian (1276BC to 1201BC) Swifter than Eagles
Side 2: Libyan (3000BC to 800BC) FoG2: Rise of Rome

Egyptians attack Assyrian-allied Nabatea