Modders Scripting Guide

A secret place for modders to chat and ask questions. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Modders Scripting Guide

Post by IainMcNeil »

Welcome to the world of modding! Modding means modifying the games data files to change the way it plays, either because you disagree with some of the stats we have entered or just think it would be fun to try out an alternative.

First it has to be noted, if playing multiplayer games you need to have the same scripts so use it with caution. Be sure to backup the Data folder before start modding and try to edit one file at a time and test that the game still works.

Commanders - Europe at War has 5 scripts that can be edited to change many aspects of gameplay and also AI.
unit_eng.txt - all the unit data
technology_eng.txt - every tech level and its effects
terrain_eng.txt - terrain effects
leader_eng.txt - list of leaders & their abilities
general_eng.txt - various rules that you can modify to change general game behaviour

Although these files are installed on your PC as text files we find it much easier to edit them in excel format, and then save them as text files. The exception to this is the general_eng.txt which is only in text format. If you want the excel version of these files you can download them from http://www.slitherine.com/files/ceaw/ce ... s_data.zip

To edit the excel files all you have to do is
1) Open the excel file (you can download a free program like OpenOffice if you do not have excel)
2) Edit any numbers
3) Choose "Save as", Unicode-text (.txt) and overwrite the corresponding file in the data folder of CEaW.

We advise you to change one file at a time and test after each change to make sure everything works as you would expect. If you have any questions we'll do what we can to help. Bear in mind we cannot offer full tech support for games that are crashing using modded data but we'll do what we can :)

If someone creates a mod and wants it hosted then let us know and we'll see what we can do.
Last edited by IainMcNeil on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanF1966
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by IanF1966 »

Hi Iain, I've noticed that the values for Heavy Tanks in the unit_eng file are all 99.
Is this an error?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

It was dropped so is not used :)
Funnydawg
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Modders Guide

Post by Funnydawg »

A bit too small for a "manual" or "guide." Changing values is, of course, simple. But what about adding units? For example, changing an unused infantry position to Special Forces and having it show up on the purchase menu?
What about allowing different versions of German tanks, like the Tiger, and making it only available to the Germans while the Sherman would only be available to the Allies?

How about a real modding manual please?

iainmcneil wrote:Welcome to the world of modding! Modding means modifying the games data files to change the way it plays, either because you disagree with some of the stats we have entered or just think it would be fun to try out an alternative.

First it has to be noted, if playing multiplayer games you need to have the same scripts so use it with caution. Be sure to backup the Data folder before start modding and try to edit one file at a time and test that the game still works.

Commanders - Europe at War has 5 scripts that can be edited to change many aspects of gameplay and also AI.
unit_eng.txt - all the unit data
technology_eng.txt - every tech level and its effects
terrain_eng.txt - terrain effects
leader_eng.txt - list of leaders & their abilities
general_eng.txt - various rules that you can modify to change general game behaviour

Although these files are installed on your PC as text files we find it much easier to edit them in excel format, and then save them as text files. The exception to this is the general_eng.txt which is only in text format. If you want the excel version of these files you can download them from http://www.slitherine.com/files/ceaw/ce ... s_data.zip

To edit the excel files all you have to do is
1) Open the excel file (you can download a free program like OpenOffice if you do not have excel)
2) Edit any numbers
3) Choose "Save as", Unicode-text (.txt) and overwrite the corresponding file in the data folder of CEaW.

We advise you to change one file at a time and test after each change to make sure everything works as you would expect. If you have any questions we'll do what we can to help. Bear in mind we cannot offer full tech support for games that are crashing using modded data but we'll do what we can :)

If someone creates a mod and wants it hosted then let us know and we'll see what we can do.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

When we get time! We are patching, translating etc etc.
KardInaLL
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by KardInaLL »

I think it TOO !! Adding new units, propertes and researchings MUST BE in game!
How to do it?
blackcross
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by blackcross »

cant seem to change anything keeps saying its locked
rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 »

blackcross wrote:cant seem to change anything keeps saying its locked
More details would be helpful. Are you trying to mod the base game? Of the GS expansion? What exactly are you doing and what exactly is happening?
blackcross

Post by blackcross »

I am looking to balance the single player option and i am first looking to change the German unit pricing and stats and having trouble doing this.I am also going to do this for community as well.I am an old empire pro,the game this is cloned from.I am an rts pro from company of heroes online and i am going to figure this out,if you guys can give me a hand il work on a patch for singleplayer which will be appreciated as no one else has done.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

blackcross wrote:I am looking to balance the single player option and i am first looking to change the German unit pricing and stats and having trouble doing this.I am also going to do this for community as well.I am an old empire pro,the game this is cloned from.I am an rts pro from company of heroes online and i am going to figure this out,if you guys can give me a hand il work on a patch for singleplayer which will be appreciated as no one else has done.
O.K. Good luck then.
blackcross

Post by blackcross »

I hope you visit from time to time to give imput when i need some , nice to meet you
gunhojr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by gunhojr »

how do you change stats just for your own country in gs.i think in original each country you can change seperaely but on this one i cant find country info seperate.so if i change value for lets say movement every country has that option.in gs where is this info located for just changing own country if possible.
BuddyGrant
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by BuddyGrant »

gunhojr wrote:how do you change stats just for your own country in gs.i think in original each country you can change seperaely but on this one i cant find country info seperate.so if i change value for lets say movement every country has that option.in gs where is this info located for just changing own country if possible.
Default unit movement and unit stats in unit.txt are not country specific, but you can tie movement & unit stats into tech advances using the technology.txt file, then give the country you are playing a tech advantage to start the game.
jasudec2

Re: Modders Scripting Guide

Post by jasudec2 »

When modding research levels, the changes do not seem to work for all scenarios when using GS 3.0? Any ideas what I am doing wrong. It works only for the 1939 scenario.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Modders Scripting Guide

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

You need to delete the *.data files in the ..\My documents\CEAW Grand Strategy 3.00\data\scenario folder.

That will force the game to recompile all scenarios. By default only the 1939 scenario is always compiled. The other scenarios are only compiled if no data files for them exist.

This was done to speed up the loading of the game.

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Modders Corner”