Suggestions for the Next Patch

Hell is a turn-based tactical skirmish strategy game developed by award winning developer Hunted Cow in partnership with Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Suggestions for the Next Patch

Post by IronFist00 »

I really like the game; in some ways I enjoy it more than Battle Academy 2 where I have over 50 matches played in multiplayer. Based on my growing experience with Hell here are some observations/suggestions I'd like to throw out for consideration:

1. Give the Scout some love. I don't feel increased mobility alone (only 4 more than normal) is enough or worth buying him in multiplayer. Since they are Scouts I suggest giving them a sight bonus similar to what Scouts get in BA2. A +1 or +2 sight would allow them to do their jobs while being able to use their mobility to stay out of danger.

2. I think the Battle Priest might be under-costed for it's capability. At 20 points it is the same as Spearmen and Knights while clearly being superior to either of them even as just a fighter. Add in the spells and it's a no brainer.

3. Allow a Deployment Phase between purchasing your units and the scenario starting. There's one in BA2 and I don't understand why there isn't one in Hell. Being able to set up your forces in a game where formations (support and flanking) are so important just makes sense. I don't see a downside to this.

4. Add another army list in for a lower power level game. I think having the option to play a Skirmish regardless of other settings with just Scouts, Men-at-Arms, Spearmen, Crossbows, and Mages (for example) would not only be fun but tactically challenging. It would also get some of these units played more.

5. Considering the Calvary specific ability Trample can one-shot/instant-kill any unit regardless of HP, I suggest only allowing it once per turn and only on the first attack of a unit, similar to how Lance (for example) works. I don't see why a Warhorse or Hellhound should get to try two Tramples each turn, even with a lower percentage to hit, when it is a such a potent ability compared to Lance/others.

EDIT: Added in point 5.
Last edited by IronFist00 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Suggestions for the Next Patch

Post by zakblood »

some good points raised
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

Thanks
Brenmusik
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Brenmusik »

Every one a winner!
jack54
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by jack54 »

+ 1

ALL good points, (I really like the idea of a lower power army list)
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

A further one: list the optional achievements in-game with the required objectives so they can easily be referenced? In BA2 they list both. In HELL I find I sometimes have to exit out to the campaign overview screen to reread what they are.
VR_Nocturne
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by VR_Nocturne »

Another one - BALANCE THE RANGED UNITS.

Please - they are just OP, especially Longbows and Demon Archers (for different reasons) and pretty much invalidates melee, especially if there's any high ground.

Of course, I've been saying this since Beta.

I'm playing Order mission 3 with Ironfist here and my longbows, at level 1, had a 90% chance to hit on a BLIND SHOT from long range thanks to the high ground bonus. That's ridiculous. Invalidates line of sight.

I won't even go there with Reign of Fire + high ground. A skill like that + high hit-rate from high ground = GG.

High ground should not impact hit rate. That doesn't make sense. If anything, it should impact penetration (to-damage rolls), but not hit rate. Being high up doesn't let you hit what you can't see any better. I also think there should be much higher penalty to shooting at what you can't see.
radneto
Hunted Cow
Hunted Cow

Post by radneto »

Some good suggestion here, some of which we'll try and implement in a future balance patch.
John Stewart
Hunted Cow Studios LTD.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

thanks for the update and fixes so far
fondfoat
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by fondfoat »

Great suggestions. I love this game, but some of the balance issues are starting to become quite annoying.

I hope the game continues to develop.
radneto
Hunted Cow
Hunted Cow

Post by radneto »

We've been very busy getting the IPad version of the game ready, however we're certainly aware of some balance issues and we hope to fix them soon!
John Stewart
Hunted Cow Studios LTD.
Igorputski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Igorputski »

IronFist wrote:I really like the game; in some ways I enjoy it more than Battle Academy 2 where I have over 50 matches played in multiplayer. Based on my growing experience with Hell here are some observations/suggestions I'd like to throw out for consideration:

1. Give the Scout some love. I don't feel increased mobility alone (only 4 more than normal) is enough or worth buying him in multiplayer. Since they are Scouts I suggest giving them a sight bonus similar to what Scouts get in BA2. A +1 or +2 sight would allow them to do their jobs while being able to use their mobility to stay out of danger.
scouts are suppose to be weak and don't have long life spans in any war no need to improve here.
2. I think the Battle Priest might be under-costed for it's capability. At 20 points it is the same as Spearmen and Knights while clearly being superior to either of them even as just a fighter. Add in the spells and it's a no brainer.
It dies just as fast as a spearman too. It's a good support unit but not good for assault so it goes right along with the spearmen price no need to improve here.
3. Allow a Deployment Phase between purchasing your units and the scenario starting. There's one in BA2 and I don't understand why there isn't one in Hell. Being able to set up your forces in a game where formations (support and flanking) are so important just makes sense. I don't see a downside to this.
part of war is random luck, sometimes one doesn't have time to deploy units in a perfect manner. I like the random deployment. Afterall the AI is feeling it too. no need to improve.
4. Add another army list in for a lower power level game. I think having the option to play a Skirmish regardless of other settings with just Scouts, Men-at-Arms, Spearmen, Crossbows, and Mages (for example) would not only be fun but tactically challenging. It would also get some of these units played more.
learn to stifle yourself and not place YOUR reqirements on others. Just don't purchase the other units in skirmish mode I find that very easy to do. no need to improve
5. Considering the Calvary specific ability Trample can one-shot/instant-kill any unit regardless of HP, I suggest only allowing it once per turn and only on the first attack of a unit, similar to how Lance (for example) works. I don't see why a Warhorse or Hellhound should get to try two Tramples each turn, even with a lower percentage to hit, when it is a such a potent ability compared to Lance/others.
calvary are suppose to be shock troops and be strong and scary. There is nothing out of the ordinary for a calvary unit to kill two units or rout them from the field. no need to improve
EDIT: Added in point 5.
[/quote]
Igorputski

To the devs.....

Post by Igorputski »

Please be wary of those that would ruin this game like they did Spartan years ago. Slitherine once made a great game and the players whined so much about the ai and balance they ruined what was a marvelous game in the 1.017 patch. 1.013 is the best version to buy if you can get it.

I find the ai in this game and the challenge just perfect. I don't say that too often about new games as the ai is such a pushover even on highest difficulties.

Be careful about what new improvements you make to the ai and it's balance. Balance multiplayer but watch out for too much balance in the single solo player game. It should be hard on normal and even harder higher up. I don't see an issue with archers or siege engines or anything. One should LEARN TO PLAY tactically. I saw it almost instantly what I needed to do as far as archers and siege engines. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see it. People think everything should be tit or tat. But, I've found the best games are not that. Master of Magic was one of the most unbalanced games made and it still stands the test of time as one of the greatest fantasy tactical games ever made. Think about that.
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

Wow shm in your posts. I think you totally missed the ball on this one, especially since I'm not alone on my thoughts on these points.

If you play(ed) BA1, BA2, and Pike & Shot you would realize most of my suggestions are simply features the game engine already has and not implemented yet. Adding options, as in choice, for things is never bad for a game. Don't forget, you also have the ability to play the game as it currently is, even if Hunted Cow implements them.

Considering radneto's reply "...however we're certainly aware of some balance issues and we hope to fix them soon!" I think the Dev agrees.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

Personally I really like the idea of a 'weaker unit' army list. I play mostly 'skirmish against the AI' and think it would be a worthwhile battle with it's own challenges. As it stands now even if I limit my own army I will still face the big units the AI chooses. It's an additional option nothing more.

Longbow units on both sides seem overpowered but I don't have an answer for it. With the limited health points of units the only way to limit the damage would be 'to miss more' that would be totally frustrating in my opinion. Maybe have to leave it.
Igorputski

Post by Igorputski »

I didn't see the word "OPTION" in the origional post is all. All I saw were observations and demands sotospeak. Tone is a very hard thing to hear on the internest YOU SHOULD PUT MORE DETAIL IN YOUR POSTS!! See <~~ what kind of tone do you think that last sentence was in? :wink:

You will see in my other post that I asked for an "option" in my statement. Making it clear I did not want it my way or the highway and I don't go around THINKING for others either.
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

Haha you crack me up Igorputski, thanks for livening up the Hell forums. Good luck and have fun.

And I'll have to remember that "Based on my growing experience with Hell here are some observations/suggestions I'd like to throw out for consideration:" is a braggart statement. Hehe.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Lets keep this civil guys. This is friendly community so lets keep it that way.
TheWombat

Post by TheWombat »

I only have the iPad version, and I've been enjoying it. My main issue is visibility. As in, even on an iPad Air 2 Retina display, I find it devilishly hard to see the units. I'd love an option to add unit bases or some other high-visibilty feature to make it easier to find my troops, and spotted enemies, in the woods particularly.

Also, it's often hard to select the right square for movement. if the little crosshair thingy would always track on the grid when you are trying to move that would help too.
Igorputski

Post by Igorputski »

Get a pc with a 25" screen. It's very easy to see then. Ipads were made for kiddy games with kiddy eyes. lol

Return to “Hell”