Rosetta stone

The Military Art forum is dedicated to all military art, though particular focus is placed on the range of art prints and plaques available from http://www.slitherine.com

Moderator: Slitherine Core

jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Rosetta stone

Post by jdm »

CAIRO, NOVEMBER 15 - Egypt's efforts to restore its looted archeological treasures have begun to pay off. The British Museum announced that it did not rebuff the demand of the Supreme Council of Antiquities on restoring the Rosetta stone. The officials of the British Museum said that they are seriously considering the Egyptian request on restoring the stone to be displayed in Egypt for three months, provided that its safety is ensured. A letter was sent last month by Zahi Hawass, head of the Supreme Council of Antiquities. Until now, the British Museum has been able to fend off questions about the return of the Rosetta stone, since there has been no formal request. The main reasons are: first of all the conservation and the risk that the 1,680 pounds stone could be damaged, secondly that the Rosetta stone cannot be lent in view of its iconic importance and third, there will be concerns over whether it would be prudent to lend to Cairo, because of possible pressure in Egypt to retain the stone or request its permanent return. After receiving advice on these points, the request will be considered by the British Museum trustees. The Rosetta Stone is probably the single most visited object in the British museum's entire collection, attracting even more visitors than the Parthenon Marbles. The Rosetta Stone has been at the museum since 1802, and has been left the building twice when it was evacuated during World War I and when it was lent to the Louvre for one month in 1972.

JDM
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 »

Interesting idea.

I would recommend that anyone interested in history pre the Roman empire goes and sees it in the British Museum if ever they are in London. I saw it as a child and have taken my daughter to see it. It really is impressive.

Return to “Military Art”