Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

FirstGod507
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Potzblitz V21.0c FEB 27th 2023

Post by FirstGod507 »

Im not sure why after X Turn between the AI Turn and my New Turn the game suddenly crashes without any message about it.
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

That makes two of us. ;)

You need to provide the last autosave from the turn before the crash. Put it in an archive like zip or rar and attach it to your next post.

You can find the "attach" feature in the Full Editor window of the forum - scroll down to the bottom and click the "Full Editor & Preview" button.

You can find the savegames in:

Documents\My Games\Commander the Great War\Save
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Umeu
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Umeu »

Btw, @robotron, do you know if there's a limit to the amount of commanders that can be added?
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

No idea. Are you having trouble adding more?
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:52 pm No idea. Are you having trouble adding more?
Yeah, pretty strange.

I made a new event based on the Yildirim group event code you wrote. Which contains this line in game_diplomacy.lua

Code: Select all

turkey.luaData.commanders[132].unlocked = game.turn
Your event works. The event I made also works as long as I leave out the equivalent of the line above.

I wrote commander ID as 134, because 133 is Currie.

Code: Select all

turkey.luaData.commanders[134].unlocked = game.turn
When I add a 134th commander in the Commander.lua file, the game will load, but I can't load the save where the event is in the event pool. The game will freeze for a bit and then crash without an error log. It will do so also for other saves.

If I take out the 134th commander, I can load the save again.

So then I tried my event with the exact same line as yours, unlocking Falkenhayn with ID 132, and it works again.

But when I try it with 133 (Currie, after adapting the country ID code to the proper faction), the save game loads, but it crashes when I choose the event, this time with a log, saying:

[16:05:30][15928]game/game_diplomacy.lua:5776(global TriggerEvent) game/game_diplomacy.lua:5776: attempt to index a nil value

Same thing happened when I tried it with Stalin (ID 121), though I can't find his code anywhere else so I don't see why it would cause problems (I added his commander_info)

I'm very confused :shock:

Is it safe to take out some of the obsolete Russian civil war generals?
Last edited by Umeu on Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

The game reads the array containing the commanders, constructions etc. once at the very start of the match and nothing can be added after that. The save game you are using to try out your new commander with is "closed" to new entries so to say. It's because of this I tell you guys each time a new version comes out to start fresh matches.
Sure.
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:19 pm The game reads the array containing the commanders, constructions etc. once at the very start of the match and nothing can be added after that. The save game you are using to try out your new commander with is "closed" to new entries so to say. It's because of this I tell you guys each time a new version comes out to start fresh matches.
Sure.
Ok, I'll try it again from a fresh save, thanks!

edit: on first glance, 133 commanders seems the max. adding number 134 crashes the game. you can't load any of the scenarios, not save game or new ones.

edit2: removing all the civil war commanders (id 108-125) gets me this error:

[16:53:44]
[31412]game/game_move.lua:187(global MoveCommander) game/game_move.lua:187: attempt to index a nil value

so I can't break the chain of numbers. hmm ok, I'll replace them 1 by 1 on need to use basis :/ :roll:
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

I just added a 134th commander, so the total number can't be the problem.
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (461.37 KiB) Viewed 585 times
Wolf001
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Wolf001 »

I never knew that you could click on the commander and get a little bio on him before.
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:03 pm I just added a 134th commander, so the total number can't be the problem.

Clipboard02.jpg
:oops: i guess I'm just too tired. I thought I had added all the commander pics. But I realize now that I missed one copying them in. And so the game crashed without report.
game is loading now with 134, thanks. Already thought 133 was a strange max lol.

at least it seems that crashing without error report generally means a graphics issue (from what I've noticed so far).

are you adding averescu just as a test btw? or will you add him to a next/future version? If so, adding any more? I'll just number mine a bit later then. so I don't have to redo it soon.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Yep. Also omitting or repeating any event, commander etc. in english.txt will also produce a crash without a proper logfile message, so be extra(!!!) careful when adding anything new to that file.

I'd strongly suggest you make a backup copy of english.txt before adding multiple events, commanders etc. because once you get a crash bug there it's difficult to backtrack what caused it without using the Compare Plug-in in Notepad++ which you really should install if not already done so.

I've been there before and it wasn't much fun and it nearly brought the mod to an early end in 2016 when by sheer luck I discovered what caused this behavior. :?

Averescu will be #134 in my next update. If you have more suggestions I'll be happy to include them if you provide the content. :D
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

thanks for the advice, will heed it. I have backups for sure, and I'm not working in the files that I use to play, which is kinda what caused the problem. I had to move some stuff around to test things, and I just forgot to copy it into the proper folder, but because I had made it, I thought I had everything done right. I even considered the portraits as a culprit, so checked the file to see if I had moved them, but ofc only checked the last few numbers, so not thorough enough.

I do have a suggestions, but it's part of a bit bigger thing I'm working on, so won't be ready before next update I think. Will share it once done.
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

Have you considered having Sit John French dismissed shortly after the Shell Crisis Event triggers as happened historically at the end of 1915? Of course Haig would then be unlocked after French is removed from play.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Good idea, will implement it.
FirstGod507

Post by FirstGod507 »

Robotron wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:26 pm That makes two of us. ;)

You need to provide the last autosave from the turn before the crash. Put it in an archive like zip or rar and attach it to your next post.

You can find the "attach" feature in the Full Editor window of the forum - scroll down to the bottom and click the "Full Editor & Preview" button.

You can find the savegames in:

Documents\My Games\Commander the Great War\Save
I dont have such thing, look
Attachments
imagen_2023-03-03_205834883.png
imagen_2023-03-03_205834883.png (157.17 KiB) Viewed 529 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

FirstGod507 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:58 am I dont have such thing, look
You did not follow the instructions properly!

You put the whole "PotzBlitz V21.0c Complete" folder into your Commander the Great War folder.

That is not the way it should be! :?

You only need the "Data" folder from the archive you downloaded.

Here's what you must do:

Go into the "PotzBlitz V21.0c Complete" folder which is shown in your screenshot

You will find a folder called "Data" in this folder.

Right-click on that "Data" folder and select "copy".

Go back to the folder that is shown in your screenshot.

Right-click and select "paste" and when Windows asks if you want to overwrite, then click on "Yes, overwrite all".

Now you should be able to play the game. :D
FirstGod507

Post by FirstGod507 »

Robotron wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:37 am
FirstGod507 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:58 am I dont have such thing, look
You did not follow the instructions properly!

You put the whole "PotzBlitz V21.0c Complete" folder into your Commander the Great War folder.

That is not the way it should be! :?

You only need the "Data" folder from the archive you downloaded.

Here's what you must do:

Go into the "PotzBlitz V21.0c Complete" folder which is shown in your screenshot

You will find a folder called "Data" in this folder.

Right-click on that "Data" folder and select "copy".

Go back to the folder that is shown in your screenshot.

Right-click and select "paste" and when Windows asks if you want to overwrite, then click on "Yes, overwrite all".

Now you should be able to play the game. :D
No, im actually playing the mod i already overwrite the data folder, i just have the Mod Folder on the Game Folder just to because its easier to me. Look the Mod Crashes after X Turn in all my campaigns with this mod.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Okay, a misunderstanding.

If your game crashes I need to have a look at the logfile which is called ctgw.log to see what is going wrong.

Right after the game has crashed you must go to the following folder:

C:\Users\name\Documents\My Games\Commander the Great War\

I don't know what this path is called on a Spanish Win10 but I guess it's something like this

C:\Usuarios\Nombre de usuario\Documentos\Juegos\Commander the Great War

Here you should find the ctgw.log

Copy the ctgw.log and put in into a ZIP or RAR archive and attach it to your post.
Ognib
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Ognib »

Hello Robotron,
What a great mod, thanks. It's great to see the potential of the basic CTGW being developed upon. Really appreciated.
Recently I played v.20.1a, von Schlieffen. End turn 3. Single player. Difficulty normal. I have Windows 10.
Crash happened with cursor freezing on "end turn" button. Then, click on screen gave circle of death and close program- window.
All the best.

Schlieffen crash.zip
(10.75 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

as I was rummaging through the files I noticed that some events such as for example: USinFrance, still use Rouen in their code, though Rouen has been renamed to LeHavre in later versions. Not sure if it matters, but just a heads up.

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”