Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Potzblitz V21.0c FEB 27th 2023

Post by Robotron »

Ognib wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:51 pm Crash happened with cursor freezing on "end turn" button.
Schlieffen crash.zip
According to the logfile you are still using V20.1 which had an infinite loop bug which was fixed in V21. Just update to the new version and start a new match and you should be good to go.

as I was rummaging through the files I noticed that some events such as for example: USinFrance, still use Rouen in their code, though Rouen has been renamed to LeHavre in later versions. Not sure if it matters, but just a heads up.
It's just a name for a local variable and has no connection to the construction file, you could also name it UmeuCity and it would not matter. :)
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Umeu
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:45 pm
Ognib wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:51 pm Crash happened with cursor freezing on "end turn" button.
Schlieffen crash.zip
According to the logfile you are still using V20.1 which had an infinite loop bug which was fixed in V21. Just update to the new version and start a new match and you should be good to go.

as I was rummaging through the files I noticed that some events such as for example: USinFrance, still use Rouen in their code, though Rouen has been renamed to LeHavre in later versions. Not sure if it matters, but just a heads up.
It's just a name for a local variable and has no connection to the construction file, you could also name it UmeuCity and it would not matter. :)
ok thanks! btw is there a reason why Bordeaux doesn't have a port? If not, can we add one? Historically it was a big disembarkation hub, many troops from the French colonies as well as the USA arrived there.
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677
FirstGod507
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by FirstGod507 »

Robotron wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:12 pm Okay, a misunderstanding.

If your game crashes I need to have a look at the logfile which is called ctgw.log to see what is going wrong.

Right after the game has crashed you must go to the following folder:

C:\Users\name\Documents\My Games\Commander the Great War\

I don't know what this path is called on a Spanish Win10 but I guess it's something like this

C:\Usuarios\Nombre de usuario\Documentos\Juegos\Commander the Great War

Here you should find the ctgw.log

Copy the ctgw.log and put in into a ZIP or RAR archive and attach it to your post.
You can find the "attach" feature in the Full Editor window of the forum - scroll down to the bottom and click the "Full Editor & Preview" button.
Here it is
Attachments
AutoSaveEndTurn.zip
(156.78 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Wolf001
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Wolf001 »

Game is crashing when I click the end turn.

[10:43:13][8012][C]:-1(field random) game/game_events.lua:5294: bad argument #2 to 'random' (interval is empty)
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V21.1 MAR 6th 2023

Post by Robotron »

V21.1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VYZNTQ ... DLI2K/view

- "Shell Shortage" event removes French and unlocks Haig
- reduced automatic gain of experience per turn for all units
- raised railgun ground attack value from 5 to 8
- added port to Bordeaux
- added Romanian general Averescu
- fixed reported crash bug

FirstGod507 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:33 pmHere it is
I asked you to provide the ctgw.log but instead you sent the AutosaveEndturn and I could not reproduce the crash. I can't help you until you provide the ctgw.log right after the game has crashed. Maybe you had the same bug as Wolf, that bug is fixed now.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:06 pm V21.1

- added port to Bordeaux

I asked you to provide the ctgw.log but instead you sent the AutosaveEndturn and I could not reproduce the crash. I can't help you until you provide the ctgw.log right after the game has crashed. Maybe you had the same bug as Wolf, that bug is fixed now.
Will the Shell Shortage be the only way to unlock Haig?

Could you shed some light on the 2nd option of Battlecruiser Special mission? It says it delays the blockade, but the manual doesn't really explain how. I also thought it used to delay the convoys through Suez, or am I making that up? Or was that tied to the War with Japan events?

Also, how does British recalls cruisers work?

I'm almost finished with what I was working on.
Minor Powers Artillery overhaul + small tech adjustment + new Generals expansion

New Generals expansion
I'd like to make generals a bit more polarized, so that they're used either for very specific unit types or roles (offensive/defensively). Of course, historical performance will play a role in their stats, but in general, new commanders for major powers will be 1 or 0 range, but have high stats in 1 attribute or group of attributes geared towards their role (defensive/offensive). The bigger range commanders will be a bit more allrounded, though still have their own distinct flavor and use. It's nice to have most of your troops commanded by Haig or Joffre and all, but when the going gets tough, you send in Currie or Mangin to break down the enemy lines. Or you'll use Borojovic to hold the key part of the Isonzo, while you send Hotzendorf on an all-inclusive cruise tour, preferably to Mars.

Also, to make generals more distinct, I've added new commander types. Currently I've added Artillery commanders, Tank commanders, submarine commanders and 1 type of commander that affects both infantry and artillery (but not other kinds of ground troops). I think that should cover all kinds required, but I might make a cavalry only commander :mrgreen:

x Von Arnauld restricted to submarines
x added Forstmann and Valentiner as captains restricted to submarines for Germany and Austria respectively (unlock with GotStrafeEngland and GermanSubsToAdriatic respectively)
x Bruchmuller added as an one range German commander restricted to artillery (unlocks with Bruchmuller event)
x Nivelle changed to affect artillery as well
x Walz added as a 1 range Turkish flying ace (unlocks with Bavarian Squadron 304 event)
x Patton added as a 0 range American commander restricted to tanks (Unlocks with Building the Army: Tank Corps event)
x Luke Jr. added as a 0 range American flying ace (Unlocks with Building the Army: Air Service event)
> Monash added as a 0 range British commander restricted to tanks to illustrate his combined arms proficiency > still need to write event to unlock
> Locker-Lampson added as a 2 range British commander restricted to Armored Cars (unlocks with an event sending Belgian and British armored cars to Russia)
> Byng added as a 1 range army British commander > still need to write event to unlock

Adjust tech research times:
x Submachine gun research time tripled.
x anti tank techs after 1st lvl increased research time 2x (I might revert this).
x Anti-Aircraft tech upgrades extended to Home Guard units.
x Railroad gun research time increased
x Germany gets tech boost on railroad gun at start of game > other nations that can produce it, get 3 random 1D6 rolls).
x France's Railroad gun tech readjusted to match the above.
x France's chlorine gas tech bonus at start of game adjusted to be equal to Germany's
x changed around anti-sub attack tech values so subs don't become obsolete too quickly. 10-5-10 rather than 10-10-5 (might revert this)
x added Renault event for the French to jump ahead in the tank war, similar to the Fokker event for airplanes.

Artillery Overhaul:
Artillery is king. But only a few major powers had the capacity to field, maintain and supply massive amounts of heavy artillery. To more accurately reflect this in the game, I've added the following restrictions to:

Minor Powers:
x max 1 battery
x max 5 ammo
x Minor powers Chlorine gas upgrade delayed by a about a year (12 turns)
x All techs past specialized shells are vastly delayed to the point of not unlocking during the game, with the exception of Portugal.
x Portugal gets an artillery lab at start of the game, so their artillery is up to date whenever they join the war.

Ottomans:
In some ways, the Ottoman Empire was a major power, but in other ways, they were even worse off than some minor powers. The Ottomans were unable to produce modern artillery, nor could they logistically support large amounts of modern artillery. They relied heavily on Germany and Austria to supply them with ammo. To reflect this, the Ottomans have no way to research any of the artillery techs by themselves. Instead, their tech updates are tied to events related to the Turco-German alliance.

x max 1 battery
x max 5 ammo
x no artillery research. Can't build artillery labs.

Events that unlock techs for Turkey:
x German military mission to Turkey also unlocks pneumatic howitzer tech
x Constantinople express also unlocks specialized shells tech (as well as pneumatic howitzer if not unlocked earlier), and the ammo trickle it gives is more generous to compensate for the limit on building ammo factories. (might need some tweaking to find the right value)
x Bavarian Squadron 304 event sends a German fighter + bomber squadron to Turkey and also unlocks Aerial Artillery Coordination tech.
x New event about a Turkish elite unit (XV corps) sent to Austria to fight the Russians. The event will represent them returning home, and will unlock the next counterbattery tech + spawn 1 artillery unit + 1 infantry unit, with lvl 3 experience (though a single repair will knock them down to lvl 2)
x Yildirim army group event will also unlock the next counterbattery tech.
x Kaiser's visit to Istanbul will unlock the gas tech equivalent to Germany's. It's the only way for Turkey to get gas upgrades. So you have to choose, have the Kaiser visit early and be stuck on lower gas tech for the rest of the game, but be able to use it for longer. Or have the Kaiser visit late, and risk that the tech no longer matters.
x Ottomans are not able to unlock creeping barrage.

Misc
x counter battery techs value increased by 1.
x USA get's artillery research (? > might change it to having option to research but no labs.)
x Georg Bruchmuller event now unlocks the man, the myth himself as an 1 range artillery battery commander.

USA
>>> USA can build unlimited ammo factories and can produce unlimited artillery like any major power, but doesn't have an artillery research lab, or any research lab, available from the start of the game. This means that whenever the US joins the war, their army and equipment are outdated. Catching up will require a lot of investment into labs, or instead they can:

x Build the Army through events, 1 for each type/branch of army.
x Each event unlocks the corresponding techs to match the british/french army, depending on who has the tech unlocked already. If none of the Entente Westfront major powers has the tech, USA won't get it either (usually not relevant, but can be relevant when playing Lamps out or USA join early option).
x To reflect that experience can't be bought, Creeping Barrage nor Infiltration tactics will unlock regardless of whether France or Britain have unlocked those techs already. Units also still have to be upgraded, to reflect the time, cost and difficulty of rapidly modernizing and expanding an army while also shipping it across an ocean.
x The events will cost the USA manpower, in exchange for units, technology and sometimes commanders.

Still planned:
> Front restrictions for Entente generals (Joffre, Foch etc & French, Haig etc to West Front, Townshend to Mesopotamian front, Allenby to Egypt, Hamilton to Turkey, and should get dismissed if Gallipoli fails
Joffre-Nivelle-Petain command change + new Nivelle offensive event based on Somme event (I know something like it already exists, but Joffre doesn't get dismissed all that often, and I've never seen Petain unlock with siege of Verdun because Nivelle needs to come before him (imo it should be other way around)
> event involving Monash to unlock him (possibly based on Passchendaele 1917, or Battle of Amiens 1918. Any preferences?)
> event involving Byng to unlock him (probably basend on battle of Cambrais 1917)

Things I couldn't figure out:
> constantinople express should also increase the max limit of artillery batteries to 2 (to represent German artillery shipments as well as ammo shipments)
> renault light tank event should also increase tank limit for France by 1, so they can have 1 more tank than other nations to show they had the biggest and most advanced tank corps by the end of the war.
> What to do in game.morale.lua

Considerations:
> Slight delay to infiltration tactics, since tech leaps by other events mean that it often unlocks in 1916 already. But it might be fine as is.
> Slight delay to Industrial Warfare for Austria Hungary (starting bonus of 10 instead of 25, resulting in Industrial warfare unlocking after Russia gets it instead of before)

let me know if you're interested in any of it, and I can send you the files. Otherwise I'll just upload it in a seperate thread for anyone whose interested.
Last edited by Umeu on Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677
FirstGod507

Post by FirstGod507 »

Robotron wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:06 pm V21.1

- added port to Bordeaux

Now
Attachments
AutoSaveEndTurn.zip
(163.29 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

FirstGod507 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:36 pm Now
Why is the ctgw.log from turn 7 and the AutosaveEndturn from turn 26?
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

the new Tsar is outraged when his generals don't invade Germany also happens when Russia enters the game on t1 because Austria got Serbia to surrender. But you can't invade Germany until turn 3, so there's no way to please the Tsar. Should probably have a clause that if Serbia surrendered, Prussia doesn't need to be invaded, because Russia will probably fight a mroe defensive war (as Austria can focus all its might on them.

Also, Russia's war effort is so low, that they're actually go negative PP production for first few turns (wont have war effort really covering upkeep until turn5), costing them a lot of morale as well. Might be something to look at, too.'

Btw, not sure if the new anti-reloading thing works properly in MP. I've gotten the same 3 events in the same combination and in the same order for 3 separate games in v21.1. So I tested a few more times by reloading on t1, and I noticed that it does offer me a 2nd set, but again, same combinations (provided I eliminate the same cards every time). But then if I reload again, I'm back to the first set again. Which, as I've said, I've seen for 3 games straight, vs 2 different people.

So it seems there are only 2 sets alternating.

1st set, which I have seen in 3 separate games (didn't reload in the first 2, but I did notice that I got the exact same combination of cards for the first 4 turns of both games, haven't played 5th turn yet so can't compare. And also got the same combination of events the 1st time I played a new game against another player)

event 1: Austrian Howitzers, Increase Industrial Output, Germany demands passage (I choose Howitzers)
event 2: Germany demands passage, German naxy Expands, Increase Industrial Output, (I choose Navy expands)
event 3: Germany demands passage, Kaiser's gold, Increase Industrial Output, (I choose Kaisers gold.)

Can't see this now, but if I were to continue this game, I predict event4 to include Violations of Neutrality.

2nd set, which I saw after reloading that 3rd game to test how things work, consists of:

event 1: expand navy, increase output, kaiser's gold (I choose the gold)
event 2: germany demands passage, austrian howitzers, AH defense plans. (I choose howitzers)
event 3: Germany demands passage, German naxy Expands, Increase Industrial Output, (I choose Navy expands)

Interestingly enough, which set I'm offered, seems to somehow correlate to how many attacks I've done. I'm offered a 3rd set if I do events before attacking (which is normal I guess, since attacking discards some events). But then what's new is that I've noticed that if I do only 1 attack on Serbia, I get set 2. If I do 2 or more, I get set 1. So far I've tried it 10 times, and it's been like that every time.

All 3 games were Schlieffen-Moltke. 1st v21.0c, 2nd & third were v21.1

Wolf says his events are different. So not sure if it's a CP problem, or just my install.

edit: I don't remember turn 4 as vividly, but I think I got a different order of cards in turn 4, but if somehow the number of attacks matter, then that might be why.

For singleplayer, it is the same. Though If I start a new game, I see different sets every game. But if I reload that game, which set of events I'm shown depends on how many attacks I do. If I do only 1 attack, I see the same set every time I reload and do 1 attack. However, if I do 2 attacks, I see a different set, though if I reload and do 2 attacks, it's always the same set.
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

Umeu wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:48 pm
Wolf says his events are different. So not sure if it's a CP problem, or just my install.
In the two MP games me and Umeu have played I have had one or two different events on each turn. I haven’t reloaded any turns mine you.

I haven’t reloaded turns in my current SP game other than when I stop playing and coming back later. Before I stop playing I always check the event pool out of curiosity and one time the event choice did change when I started the game again. I haven’t had the event choices change on any other reloads.

Reloading turns multiple times does make the game behave oddly perhaps that is what is happening with Umeu at least with single player games?
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Wolf001 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:13 pm
Umeu wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:48 pm
In the two MP games me and Umeu have played I have had one or two different events on each turn. I haven’t reloaded any turns mine you.

I haven’t reloaded turns in my current SP game other than when I stop playing and coming back later. Before I stop playing I always check the event pool out of curiosity and one time the event choice did change when I started the game again. I haven’t had the event choices change on any other reloads.

Reloading turns multiple times does make the game behave oddly perhaps that is what is happening with Umeu at least with single player games?
maybe you can see if the same thing happens for you?

Tbh, it's not so much the turn 1 reloading giving different sets that bugs me, but more that I've seen the exact same events in the exact same combos for 3 mp games in a row.

EDIT, exactly same cards and in same sequence again in a 4th MP game vs another player, so it's not a coincidence anymore.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Umeu wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:31 am EDIT, exactly same cards and in same sequence again in a 4th MP game vs another player, so it's not a coincidence anymore.
Which events on which turn?
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:06 pm
Umeu wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:31 am EDIT, exactly same cards and in same sequence again in a 4th MP game vs another player, so it's not a coincidence anymore.
Which events on which turn?
i wrote it all in a previous post. but here are the events I see if I play my turn the way I always do (since it's always the same amount of attacks, I guess I'm seeing the same events, assuming that attacks actually do matter and it's not something else causing the correlation)

event 1: Austrian Howitzers, Increase Industrial Output, Germany demands passage (I choose Howitzers)
event 2: Germany demands passage, German naxy Expands, Increase Industrial Output, (I choose Navy expands)
event 3: Germany demands passage, Kaiser's gold, Increase Industrial Output, (I choose Kaisers gold.)

turn 1-3 have been the same events exactly in 3 different games. 4th game turn 1 was same, but haven't played past turn 1 yet.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

I'll implement a way to deal with that issue for the next update.
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

Should be finishing my SP game tomorrow. Almost at 1918 with Austria-Hungry about to collapse. I’ve managed to keep Russia in the war despite getting pushed back to Riga somehow.

With the changes the game does go much slower and you have to plan out where you want to attack with available shells.

I’ll have some thoughts once I finish my current game.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Let's hear it! ^^
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:34 am Let's hear it! ^^
Kronprinz events causes a crash (SP, playing as CP, Moltke-Schlieffen):

Code: Select all

[05:25:41][11468]game/game_commanders.lua:356(global AttachCommanderToUnit) game/game_commanders.lua:356: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'experience' (a nil value)
also for the Fatherland event sometimes removes more than 1 manpower per attack, one time I noticed it's even 3, though I'ved also seen it remove 2 or 1. But it's not always 1 (at least the manual says it should be 1). Not sure if that's wonky calculation by the game, or whether the removal is a random number between 1-3.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Third option: another manpower-consuming event is in effect, for example "Disaster strikes" after "Kluck's Folly"?
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:33 pm Third option: another manpower-consuming event is in effect, for example "Disaster strikes" after "Kluck's Folly"?
no, definitely not that one. pretty sure it was only fatherland. But maybe some other event I'm not aware of. I didn't see anything pop up that pointed in that direction though. There wasn't a clear pattern to it that I could see, but on average, it seemed like it was closer to 2 per attack than 1. But like I said, sometimes it was 1, sometimes 2, and every now and then even 3 for 1 attack.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Argh...the manpower loss erroneously gets called twice: once in events and once in experience script (line 36). Just remove it from experience.

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”