Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Umeu
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Potzblitz V17 JAN13th 2023

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:18 pm
Umeu wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:57 pm damn :/ and this bug only comes out in your mod, or does it also happen in the base game?
This specific bug seems to be happening since V15.
>>>>>Did any of you even manage to finish a singleplayer game with the final "victory event" showing up?<<<<<<
On my save game I as only at war with Russia could that be where the pathfinding glitch is happening with one of Russia's units? Or has it happened while playing as the Entente?
In your game the bug seems to be connected to AI trying to move a Russian Home Guard in Finland.

In Umeu's savegame "test70" the bug happened while AI tried to move a French Army Corps while being out of supply.

I don't recall if you have already sent me a savegame where you were playing Entente vs CP AI and the bug happened, if so please say so because it's becoming a bit confusing with all the savegames.
I've finished games and got victory event in 15.1 and 15.2 many times, but in v17, furthest I've gotten is turn 35. Haven't managed to win the game within 30 turns yet, though I haven't tried to. It's possible I suppose, but very hard XD could give it a shot, if you think it'll be helpful.

As for the saves, I shared entente46, which was me playing from Entente side, Moltke scenario. However, you weren't able to replicate the crash on the save I uploaded, only the autosave.
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

Okay then, so if you were able to finish the game quite a few times in V15 the bug must be caused by some addition that happened later.

Before I begun V17 I checked every script from V16 (the one that I abandoned because of the bug) with V15 using the compare function in notepad++ (the editor I'm using for the scripts)
but found nothing that looked like it could cause problems. Seems I missed something.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Wolf001
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Wolf001 »

I haven’t managed to finish a game with a victory event yet.

I can start a single player game as the Entente today and see if I can get a crash on Moltke plan like Umeu. I’ll be able to play for most of the day so I’ll reach turn 30-40 with ease.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Wolf001 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:02 pm I can start a single player game as the Entente today and see if I can get a crash on Moltke plan like Umeu. I’ll be able to play for most of the day so I’ll reach turn 30-40 with ease.
Please do so, this would be most useful.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

As a quick sidenote: with singleplayer mode now being "out of order" for the time being, I'd still like to hear some of your adventures from multiplayer mode to bolster my morale (if it's not too much too ask for of course).
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

Robotron wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:48 pm As a quick sidenote: with singleplayer mode now being "out of order" for the time being, I'd still like to hear some of your adventures from multiplayer mode to bolster my morale (if it's not too much too ask for of course).
Me and umeu are playing a game right now. I’m playing as the Entente. I lost Belgium and Paris pretty quickly. Emeu took a massive risk and stripped Austrian forces that were facing Russia to overwhelm Serbia with no hope to stop the Austrian advance. Serbia finally surrendered at the start of 1915 with a Bulgarian attack finishing her off. I couldn’t send French forces to help out since my lines are stretching from Cherbourg to Belfort.

My Russian invasion of East Prussia and Austria-Hungry could have gone better I did get a small victory by killing Dankl and Von Francois. Umeu has now given me the name Wolf the general slayer.

Umeu didn’t get the Goeben event which made Turkey enter the war much later I think turn 16. I used the delayed war entry to build up a sizable Russian and British force to invade the Ottoman Empire. I cost Umeu a lot of PP invading with the Russians but he won a massive victory with a surprise attack towards the Suez and took Port Said. We are fighting over that right now I do have the advantage that I can put pressure on Caucasus front and I’m making a push towards Baghdad the British.

Umeu has the advantage on the eastern front with a lot of artillery and is slowly pushing my Russians back. Romania is thinking about joining me which I’d prefer they didn’t because I’d have more area to defend.

The western front was in a stalemate after Paris was taken with neither one of us able to take much ground. Umeu managed to take a few hexes but I’ve managed to stop any breakthroughs. I am now putting a lot of pressure on Umeu with a French offensive from Verdun and slowly gaining ground.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Yeah, thanks Wolf. Great to hear my mod is at least enjoyed in multiplayer. :)
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

You are welcome.

I am enjoying the Single-player today. Playing as the Entente the AI is very aggressive. I stopped the German advance into France easily for once but the Russians are getting overwhelmed. The Turks are also very aggressive and I’m having to devot a lot of forces to hold the Suez and the Caucasus front. I’m actually not confident I’ll be able do anything with Russia by mid 1916 if the AI keeps advancing. I’ve already lost all of Poland.

It didn’t feel as aggressive in the save game that was crashing that I uploaded this morning playing as the Central Powers. The only point it was very aggressive was with Serbia which actually helped me out since it kept trying to breakthrough me lines.
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Wolf001 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:04 pm
Robotron wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:48 pm As a quick sidenote: with singleplayer mode now being "out of order" for the time being, I'd still like to hear some of your adventures from multiplayer mode to bolster my morale (if it's not too much too ask for of course).
Me and umeu are playing a game right now. I’m playing as the Entente. I lost Belgium and Paris pretty quickly. Emeu took a massive risk and stripped Austrian forces that were facing Russia to overwhelm Serbia with no hope to stop the Austrian advance. Serbia finally surrendered at the start of 1915 with a Bulgarian attack finishing her off. I couldn’t send French forces to help out since my lines are stretching from Cherbourg to Belfort.

My Russian invasion of East Prussia and Austria-Hungry could have gone better I did get a small victory by killing Dankl and Von Francois. Umeu has now given me the name Wolf the general slayer.

Umeu didn’t get the Goeben event which made Turkey enter the war much later I think turn 16. I used the delayed war entry to build up a sizable Russian and British force to invade the Ottoman Empire. I cost Umeu a lot of PP invading with the Russians but he won a massive victory with a surprise attack towards the Suez and took Port Said. We are fighting over that right now I do have the advantage that I can put pressure on Caucasus front and I’m making a push towards Baghdad the British.

Umeu has the advantage on the eastern front with a lot of artillery and is slowly pushing my Russians back. Romania is thinking about joining me which I’d prefer they didn’t because I’d have more area to defend.

The western front was in a stalemate after Paris was taken with neither one of us able to take much ground. Umeu managed to take a few hexes but I’ve managed to stop any breakthroughs. I am now putting a lot of pressure on Umeu with a French offensive from Verdun and slowly gaining ground.
:twisted: I've intercepted this telegram, and it contains valuable information muahaha I shall certainly win the war now :mrgreen:

@Robotron, I'm sure you'll understand, the info you ask for is top military secret of Imperial importance.

Jokes, I'll make a write up.

1915. The world is at war. Bulgarians are defending the outskirts of Brussels side by side with the German reserve and Austrian regulars fresh out of the Balkan where they smashed through the lines with a bold cavalry charge down the Nis flank, threatening the soft underbelly of the Serbian army. They defended bravely, but racked with typhoid, they simply couldn't win the war of attrition. A backstab by their Balkanbrothers meant surrender or death. Most chose death.

How did it come to this? Taking a page from their Austrian allies, Germany rushed through Belgium, Liege, Brussels and Namur all falling within days of ach other, in that order. Austrian Howitzers and Big Berthas laying waste to their structures and garrison alike. Keep the right wing strong, the elder had said, and the younger had a meltdown as he violated the neutrality of Luxembourg and the Netherlands. Would it be war, or would they yield their railways. In the end, they yielded, but Moltke was not fit for command any longer. It fell to his generals, and what a splendid show they gave. Lille collapsed, but Ypres held out, 9 out of 10 of their comrades dead or wounded, yet they held. In the end, it didn't even matter. Cut off and surrounded from supplies, they were forced to surrender a week later. Was their sacrifice enough to stall the German advance? Reims and Amiens were next, and suddenly, they were at the gates of Paris. The French government of cowards fled the city, and Gallieni was left to hold down the fort. And he did. Kneedeep in blood and guts, he replled repeated German assaults on the city. He withstood the onslaught for a month and a half. But the German high command recognized that this is a game of railways, you capture them, or you die. Hausen seized the railhead near Paris, cutting the metropole off from reinforcements, and battered Gallieni's corps into dust. The reserves that replaced his crack troops were not up to the challenge. They shattered, hard. Winter set in not much later, and for a while, all was quiet on the Western front.

In the east, the steamroller lived up to its reputation. Tarnopol was evacuated, but the Austrian high command, after having chosen to change to a more defensive war plan, was overwhelmed and almost routed. Lemberg fell, and Przemysl was besieged, though not for long. The Germans fared no better. Having stripped the Eastern front from its cavalry corps in order to keep the right wing strong in the west, the lines were strong but stretched thin. The Russians crashed into Eastern Prussia like a storm, Prittwitz reeled and fell back, not across the Vistula, but into Konigsberg. The navy shall have my back, he thought. Instead he was hit be a shellshard during the retreat, and his reserve corps disintegrated with him. Prittwitz would survive, escaping on the pre-dreadnaught SMS Preussen. In a moment of jubilance and hubris, Admiral Essen decided to destroy the Swedish fleet in a bit to secure hegemony over the Baltic seas. Sweden rose to the tides, however, and far from being cowed by Russian arrogance and beligerance, declared for Germany instead. The Swedish Expeditionary Corps sailed immediately, but would arrive too late for the second battle of Konigsberg. Because as things looked most dire, there they were. The Teuton Titans. Hindenburg, Ludendorf and Hoffman were the masterminds, von Francois their sword. Konigsberg was retaken after a miraculous victory at Tannenberg. Samsonov offed himself and Prussia was saved. From there, the Germans were on the offensive in the east. But it would not be a quick mad dash to Moscow as it had been in Paris, no. The Russians had dug in, and winter was falling. In the east, too, all would be quiet.

Until Spring 1915 came upon us. Bulgaria declared, tired of waiting for their Big Ottoman Brother, we'll call him BOB for now. We know Serbia's fate, our story started there, but it did not end there. The Germans, frustrated that their elite infantrymen were repeatedly repulsed by Russian farmers from the reserve, resorted to dirtier tricks. Gas was used for the first time outside of Warsaw, and then soon near Le Havre as well. The British lines there fled before the green fog, but the Russians held. Would nothing break them? Bulgiarian, Swedish and Austrian howitzers were all brought to the front line, surely, this would be enough? Mackensen and Hotzendorf planned their grand summer offensive, and finally the Russian steamroller turned hedgehog started to lose its spikes. The lines near Warsaw crumbled until finally the mighty city fell.

In the mean time, BOB had found his spine and declared for the Central Powers. They should not have. Basra fell without a fight. Enver Pasha looked to invade the Caucasus but Bergman beat him to the punch. They scrambled back to Erzurum with their tails between their legs where they're making a desperate stand as the Russian steamroller redirected its pressure on them. Because to the south, the British are in kahoots with Russia, driving their Indian Expeditionary Force relentlessly through Mesopotamia. A cheeky attempt to capture them in the rear by a Turkish cavalry corps out of Kuwait got caught and punished by two Indian army corps. Their hordes are endless, and the front is in dire need of reinforcements. Grasping at straws, the Caliph declares Jihad, hoping to persuade Persia to join them while also keeping the Saudis quiet. Is it enough to turn the tide of war? A war for which BOB was completely unprepared, but yet, not all is dark. A surprise attack on the canal saw Port Said fall into Ottoman hands, threathening both Cairo and Suez with the same fate. The ANZAC is rushed in to defend these vital shipping lanes and restore business as usual in the canal. If they don't succeed, Britain might be first to run out of food.

In the West, things are less spectacular. France is holding on by a thread, the overhastedly dug in British lines on the left flank perhaps more a liability than an asset, the Central Powers manage to take Cherbourg, but are forced to redirect their attention back to where it all started for them. France, in a desperate attempt, launches their big 1915 offensive. But without artillery and generals of name to oversee the charge, their attack falters, though it breaks through the German lines between Namur and Rheims, threatening to retake Brussels, Lille or even Ypres. The German reserve, aided by Austrian and Bulgarian veterans from the Serbian front, make a stand and crush the last of Gallic hopes. The Fokker scourge guarantees air superiority, and the zeppelins soar high, giving the CP the edge in intelligence warfare. Submarines are released upon the seas as well, and Norway sharply protests the sinking of their convoys. But it's do or die as they British blockade, briefly broken, is reestablished and hunger looms. The war must be won, before the people starve.

And while we wait, the question on everyone's mind is... What will Italy do? They looked to be firmly lodged in the CP camp for a while, despite proclaiming neutrality on paper. But then D'Annunzio reared his ugly head, and Trieste was demanded as downpayment for their services. It was granted, grudglingy, but granted nonetheless. And still, they have not declared. Romania, another turncloack state, has made a deal with Britain. It seems to be a devil's bargain, Russia looked strong when they signed their contracts, but things have changed since then, as with Novo-Georgievsk, another stronghold in Poland surrenders.

Winter is almost upon us oncemore. A second Christmas. But still no peace on earth.
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

The game is now crashing on me. When I end my current turn 25 the AI will go ahead and play although the turn takes longer then usual eleven minutes. The AI will finish the turn and the game will crash back to my desktop. I do have an Autosave file that should be turn 26 but it will crash to the desktop once loaded. Here is my auto end turn save and the auto save and also the log from my end turn.
Attachments
Autosaveturncrash.zip
(169.01 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Endturnautobeforecrash.zip
(169.7 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
EntenteCrashLog.zip
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

I hope you don't mind me posting another game crash Robotron. I'm playing the Rupprecht Plan as the Entente and the game is crashing when I try to select a event. I imagine this is the problem according to the log?

[16:32:14][4764]:1215(global DoDiploEvents) :1215: attempt to call global 'GetEVent' (a nil value)

If you need the save game I have the auto end turn and auto save. I just don't want to overwhelm you with save games.
Attachments
EventCrashLog.zip
(603 Bytes) Downloaded 13 times
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Wolf001 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:29 pm The game is now crashing on me. When I end my current turn 25 the AI will go ahead and play although the turn takes longer then usual eleven minutes. The AI will finish the turn and the game will crash back to my desktop. I do have an Autosave file that should be turn 26 but it will crash to the desktop once loaded. Here is my auto end turn save and the auto save and also the log from my end turn.
yep, when I was Ëntente, also crashed on 25
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

I just don't want to overwhelm you with save games.
@Wolf: don't worry, as long as the game is kind enough to say what's going on in the crash log like with the bug you reported right now, that's indeed not required.
Fix in attachment.
yep, when I was Ëntente, also crashed on 25
That's the one which crash I could not reproduce. I remember encountering the bug as early as turn 21 when playing CP.
Attachments
Data.zip
(201.48 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

Thanks Robotron! I am on turn 17 now hopefully I won’t get the dreaded turn 25 crash.
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

The number 25 is unlucky I guess. I ended my turn 24 and the AI finished turn 25 and its crashed back to desktop.
Attachments
Turn25crash.zip
(165.17 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
EndTurn24 (2).zip
(164.42 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Turn24Log.zip
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

This is getting really weird, again I was able to continue the game to the next turn without problem.
Wolf, I've attached the autosave for the following turn after the savegame you posted, are you now able to continue the game?

And also turn 25 again, interesting...so what is happening around turn 25 that's so weird it jumbles up the game?
Attachments
Wolfs Rupprecht.zip
(148.3 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

I can continue from your turn25, but Wolf's EndTurn 24 crashes for me as well.

Maybe somehow your version is slightly different? Could it be caused by steam vs no steam? fullscreen vs not fullscreen?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Maybe the main ctgw.exe differs?

Go to the game's main folder and right-click on ctgw.exe, choose "properties" and check the digital signature.

The time stamp on my (non-steam) ctgw.exe is November 26th 2015.
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:09 pm Maybe the main ctgw.exe differs?

Go to the game's main folder and right-click on ctgw.exe, choose "properties" and check the digital signature.

The time stamp on my (non-steam) ctgw.exe is November 26th 2015.
same for non-steam (though that one doesn't have potzblitz for me), steam's stamp is 24-12-2022

though I guess it doesn't really explain why you could still replicate crash on test70

Edit: turn 24 crashes for me both steam and non steam
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

I remember you said you noticed some weird stuff going on during replay: units vanished or what was that about again?

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”