Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Umeu
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Potzblitz V17 JAN13th 2023

Post by Umeu »

Aufmarsch Ost seems to be impossible to reach the 1914 objectives if playing as the Central Powers now. The AI is too aggressive in the east and has triggered the “Austrian Borders Overrun” event and somehow made Von Francois get unlocked which has never happened before. I’ve tried playing different strategies to counter the AI but I can’t push towards any objective and try to keep Austria and East Prussia from being overwhelmed.
contrary to what the PDF says (not sure if outdated or just bugged after some changes), the steamroller feature is active during Ostmars (while according to the PDF, it shouldn't be)

Ostmars vs the AI is hard because f this right now, but actually Ostmars vs the player is too easy, part of this is the way the Russian army is positioned. If you get lucky rolls or use Patriotism, Warsaw is very likely to fall in the first turn of German attacking (t3) Vilna and Grodno are guaranteed to fall almost 95% of the time.

I'll write out my list properly tomorrow or on Friday.
Last edited by Umeu on Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

Wolf001 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:49 pm I don’t see a problem with the entrenchment bonus as you have to plan out where to attack rather than attacking up and down the line. For me this has made aircraft/airships play a more important role.
Then we will keep it as is but I will slightly raise the research time for the 2nd entrenchment tech "pillboxes".

Applying to all Schlieffen Plan and Moltke-Schlieffen Plan vs. the AI. Is there a way to prevent the AI from playing the Tirpitz event? If you play the BEF event and the AI has played the Tirpitz event the AI will send a battle cruiser and attack the BEF transport at Calais dooming it to getting sunk by the Royal Navy. In my opinion this is reducing the difficulty of the early game since the AI is wasting an event. If you are playing the Central Powers the event does have usefulness so if you are unable to prevent the AI from playing that event I would prefer it to stay in the game rather than removing it.
Okay, removed for AI in Schlieffen+Moltke.

I believe the Rupprecht Plan might need some adjusting regarding the “Fires in the Desert” event. A problem I came across is if Turkey and Britain both come into play on the same turn the AI and I assume in multiplayer the CP player have a massive advantage.

It will take two turns at best for the Entente player respond with reserve corps and six turns after building and landing with army corps. Because of this CP can pressure the Suez and move towards Cairo with the Senussi. In theory if the CP is lucky the AI/player can move two army corps, two reserve corps and one artillery and however many Senussi spawn while the Entente player will be more or less helpless.

My suggestion and this would only apply to the Rupprecht and Aufmarsch Ost plan. Put a delay on when the “Fires in the Desert” event can be played perhaps three or four turns? This would give the Entente player enough time to send at least a handful of forces to oppose the Turks and Senussi.
6 turns delay after British DOW okay then?

Now on to Italy this will apply to all battle plans for both playing as the Entente and Central Powers in single player and would probably also apply to multiplayer as well.

If the Central Powers cedes Trento to Italy I would suggest for an Italian home guard or perhaps a reserve corps to spawn on Trento. Right now if Italy is about to join the Entente the CP AI will start moving units and will always move a unit one hex away from Trento while the nearest Italian reserve corps will have to move two hexes to take Trento. So the CP will be able to take Trento dealing a moral hit to Italy and a collapse point I believe as well with no risk. This happened on the Rupprecht game and it was very frustrating.
Will do so.

I don’t know if this is intended or not but I kept getting the “Failed Italian Offensive” event after the AI played its turn. After around seven turns Italy had already gotten six collapse points, manpower dangerously low and moral at 50%. The only advantage was unlocking Diaz very quickly for me.
Will have a look at this.

Aufmarsch Ost seems to be impossible to reach the 1914 objectives if playing as the Central Powers now. The AI is too aggressive in the east and has triggered the “Austrian Borders Overrun” event and somehow made Von Francois get unlocked which has never happened before. I’ve tried playing different strategies to counter the AI but I can’t push towards any objective and try to keep Austria and East Prussia from being overwhelmed.
An oversight, of course the steamroller bonus should not work in that scenario.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Wolf001
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Wolf001 »

Thanks Robotron. The 6 turn delay after British DOW for "Fires in the Desert" will work.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Are there any other events that are not mentioned in the PDF and may be unclear to you which you would like to see added?
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Replace Cadorna,
French Army caught Offguard,
scourge of the black sea,
race to the sea (there are 2 outcomes, but not sure what it does? only flavor?),
russia sends help to serbia,
france enters belgium (currently says wont cede forts and cities, but in game everything is ceded, including antwerp and ypres which arent needed for railway access, and all armies are removed.)
Venizelos resigns
ober ost created
(any other events that can trigger in 1914 related to German invasion of France/Belgium not already mentioned in pdf)
Fort Roupel ceded to CP
hell of verdun

French army of Africa doesn't mention the part about it being in France if sent in t1 or t2.
Last edited by Umeu on Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

Could you add an event pop up when von der Goltz either dies or is assassinated? In previous games when playing as the CP I wouldn't know he was missing until the event for von Moltke dying happened.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Wolf001 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:35 pm The 6 turn delay after British DOW for "Fires in the Desert" will work.
However I will reduce the 6 turn limit by -1 for each time the Entente have played either one of: "Anzac arrive in Egypt", "Kuwait Revolt" and "Abdan Oilfields"

I mean, if the British play dirty, so should the Ottomans.
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

The incite Colonial Riots I believe is the name is missing from the PDF file.

The glitch with the failed Italian Offensive triggering on the CP turn when attacking Italian units is also happening on multiplayer games as well.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@Wolf: this was to be expected but I've already found a solution for the next version.

Updated PDF with events suggested by Umeu and updated lots of other stuff to better reflect what is going on in the game :
https://easyupload.io/c7d0nk
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

These are some potential bugs I came across while playing MP. Some bugs I saw in SP I already mentioned before. Some might appear in both SP and MP though. Some you might already be aware of.

v17 MP bugs

Gallieni event works same as in SP, aka, all units get immediate entrenchment, which shouldn't happen according to what you said earlier.

Neutrality Violated event removes Moltke from the game

Bruderman and probably other forbidden Austrian generals can be used on the wrong front, contrary to what the PDF says. This restriction is properly working for the German ones, however

Austrian Howitzers doesn't work on 3 but only 2 forts. Also not sure if it already works on Swiss forts, but the description doesn't mention it.

Some bug caused entrenchment of Russian units to dissapear without the unit moving from the hex. (in t23, the unit next to Novo-Georgievsk is dug in, in t24, it's no longer dug in. No idea why.)
entrenchment bug.rar
(330.66 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
(Entente 43 = t23, Entente 44 = t24)

russian steamroller bonus also seems to apply to Ostmars scenario still (as von Francois got unlocked)

In mp, if I choose the Enver Pasha event, but the next turn, Russia invades before my units are spawned. I lose the diplo points I paid to choose the event + the PP that are paid from the event triggering because of a Russian invasion. So I'm effectively paying 2x for the same event.

Gott strafe england convoys seems to be losing diplo points for killing convoys rather than gaining. (hard to replicate in MP)

when choosing Wilhelm Groener as Austria, it adds railway to austria instead of Germany

in my game as entente, Egypt had home guard, but playing vs others, they had arab infantry. Is that a v17 change or something else? i don't remember what version I started that game in. I thought it was v17 though.
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

And these are some suggestions to improve the MP player experience or historical accuracy. Some are tweaks of existing things in the game. Others are ideas I think would be great to have, but are of less importance as they'd need to be added in, and I'm not sure how feasible or easy it's to do that.

v17 MP tweaks

Neutrality Violated is too strong. It's currently better to go for NV than to go for Schlieffen plan. NV gives a positional advantage AND a bonus attack on the first turn, while having no downside such as extra PP consumption. It has a minor disadvantage attached to the Netherlands, but it's hardly ever relevant. And Luxembourg gives bonus Diplo points, iirc.

Sacred Way seems unlockable too early, allowing France to leapfrog in the tech race quite hard. Perhaps it needs an additional condition, like can't be sent before a 1915 or something?

Early gas attacks might be too powerful, especially since they can't backfire like they historically did, at Loos for example..

Forcing the straits event takes a bit too long to appear in the event pool, it feels. I can't get it until after winter 1915 usually, and then it takes 3 turns for Gallipoli to happen.

Scrap collecting is redundant compared to industrial production. I suggest it giving PP to all countries of an alliance rather than just to 1, or do something like permantly increase PP production by like 1 or 2 points.

Jihad attack bonus is probably a bit too strong. Could perhaps only be a defensive bonus, not an offensive one. As in, dealing more damage when attacked because more dogged defense, but not when Ottoman units are attacking themselves.

Russian Bonus attack seems way overtuned as well (atleast in MP), but I mentioned this already.

Offensive in east bonus could end when warsaw + brest litovsk and maybe the forts (kovno, Libau, grodno) + vilna are taken. I know it's a requirement for the event to pop up in the pool, for Warsaw and Brest Litovsk not to be in CP hands, but once you have it, the bonus just stays the whole year.

Getting sweden to join war on CP side is too easy, it should be a 50/50 on surprise attack, and quite difficult to achieve otherwise. Now however, I can get sweden to join more often than not.

Fires in desert aka senussi uprising is too strong at start, should have less units for MP player, but should have option to gain more arab garrison/cav over time just like Kuwaiti for Entente.

Suez canal is too easy to take with the home guards (though if Arab garrisons are now the norm, then this has been fixed already). Though, potentially it can be considered to increase entrenchment bonus of canals? Suez was historically quite a barrier.

Suggestions for new things

Ostmars is too strong for CP. Defeating Russia is a given. Historically, Russia was kinda weak (At least after the supply crisis) and they collapsed before Serbia did, which says a lot. You have to see the game in terms of Alliance vs Alliance, not individual countries. Imo, Russia failing 10/10 games, is totally acceptable, if Entente can win, let's say, 5/10 games. In that case, the Entente's goal in Russia is not to win the war and force the other to surrender, but to survive and stall for as long as possible, just as it is in Serbia. Nobody expect Serbia to realistically grind AH into dust and survive into 1916. You're happy not to die before end 1914. So, Russia's death I think kinda should be inevitable, but, if this brings USA into the war, then it might not actually weaken the Entente Alliance. Russian war effort should be tied to US war entry. If Russia is doing well, US war entry on Entente side should be greatly delayed. Wilson did not like the Tsar and didn't want to fight on his side. US joined the war a week after the Tsar abdicated. So basically, Tsar abdicate event or Russian revolution or Russia surrenders should greatly shift US alignment towards Entente. This means that quickly kicking russia out of the war or greatly destabilizing it, will come with a huge risk for Germany. They have to be able to win the war or do great damage to France or England before the US joins. (I'm aware that this somehow messes with the Wilson Election events you have in the game, but since Ostmars is kinda a fantasy scenario anyway, I think it's acceptable. And it's necessary for balance purposes I think. However, even in the historical version, it's still a game and I think something can be said for an earlier, let's say mid 1916 US war entry under the right circumstances)
Another way to make it fairer is to have the event France troops enter Belgium come into play faster, or also the option for Belgium to join the Entente to come into play a little bit faster. But not too fast, I kinda prefer the US threat more over the Belgian threat.

To balance things out a bit, Romania should probably not join Entente anymore if Russia surrenders before Romania joined Entente. Also, Russia kinda dying in the war should swing Romania back into CP again or at least stay neutral al war, even after Romanian King dies and Treaty of Bucharest

Russian ammo production might need to be a bit higher at the start. But not a major problem.

Murmansk convoys should allow the player to send PP and ammo shipments from brittain to russia if there is naval capacity. (not sure if this is possible, might be hardcoded.)

Mome guard units should get access to anti-air upgrades (as this was historically one of their main purposes). This will also help neutralize bombers a bit more.

Under certain circumstances (for example, such as French troops entered belgium), British and French army command might not get along, and something akin to German and Austrian generals squabling could happen but for French and English generals

I'd like to see a limit on artillery pieces (just like there exists for submarines and airplanes etc) for any but the big artillery producing and using nations (So England, France, Germany and Russia definitely should allow the player to produce a lot or even unlimited artillery batteries. From a gameplay perspective, a case can also be made for Italy, and perhaps even the Ottomans). Other nations should be limited to 0 or 1 piece of artillery maximum.

I'd also like to see a cap on ammo producing factories (similar to Germany before Fritz Haber) but with an even lower max. I think 5 ammo per turn max for any nation except those I've already mentioned (USA should have a cap on artillery battery production, but should be allowed to produce a lot of ammo factories).

On top of that, the smaller nations should not have any artillery research, or be limited only to the lower techs, and they probably need to be reduced more. Currently, it's too easy to have for example Romania, Bulgaria or Sweden produce many batteries to support the ones the big nations can crank out. It's also a bit strange to see nations like those mentioned above research Aerial Artillery Coordination, Creeping Barrage or even Phosgene Gas when they don't have the capacity to create planes in the game or have industrial capacity etc historically. These artillery pieces represent big gun batteries that only few nations were able to produce and maintain and supply on a large scale. I'm fine with most nations being able to create 1, for gameplay purposes, but Bulgaria under the right circumstances can field and supply 3. And they have tech not far behind Austria, which is a bit strange to see. Potentially, there can be an event that unlocks certain techs for auxiliary nations in an allience.

So Ideally, I'd like to see
Big Nations = many or unlimited production of units and ammo factories
Small nations = 1 unit maximum, 5 ammo factory maximum, no artillery research
Italy = 3 units maximum, 15 ammo maximum, artillery research as normal, or slightly delayed compared to now
Ottomans = 3 units maximum, 5-10 ammo maximum (but maybe a bit more ammo receivable through events), artillery research either non existant or heavily delayed, but tech advancement tied to events (such as already exists with Kaiser visits Germany).
USA = 1 unit maximum, unlimited ammo production, research as normal

I'd like to see an event that gives Turkey 1 German Bomber and 1 German fighter squadron near Sinai (aka, same tech level as what Germany has at that time) without giving Ottomans means to build planes.

QOL suggestion

When picking the scenario in the MP section, it would be helpful if the description included instructions on where to get mod and warning for people not to join if they don't have the mod. I've noticed some people joining who seem to be new to the game, and don't realize they can't play without the mod. It would also help attract new players who can then write pages upon pages to you, pestering you to make your mod even more awesome.
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

I don't have any multiplayer suggestions as to add as I've only played two multiplayer games to this date. I'm only going to add my thoughts to Umeu's suggestions that stick out to me.

I agree on Neutrality Violated is too strong in MP and SP games. The disadvantage with the Netherlands is minimal. Combined with Austrian Siege Howitzers an Wave of Patriotism you seem more or less guaranteed to reach Paris or take it in 1914. The only answer to it is either early Russian Mobilization or to abandon Plan XVII. I just feel there needs to be a bigger risk playing Neutrality Violated beyond the food risk with the Netherlands.

Sacred Way I've only noted it getting triggered early in games vs. the CP AI when it attacks Verdun. Moving the event to 1915 seems fair. Vs. the AI you will get an advantage with the unlocks that come along with it when the event is played early.

Early gas might be too powerful. I don't have an opinion on it right now.

Jihad does seem too strong to me at the moment.

The Russian Steamroller I wouldn't change. Russia has a hard time as it is during the game and I'm not sure needs crippled anymore.

I agree on Sweden in the recent SP games Sweden joins the CP every game it seems.

I don't know if Fires in the Desert is too strong yet or not since the event was just played in the one me and Umeu are playing. I don't agree that the CP player should gain more units over time however.

Suez is too easy to take that I will agree on. The Ottoman units should loose efficiency quickly when attacking the Suez the heat and water was what really held the Ottomans back.

I agree that in the Aufmarsch-Ost Plan once Russia is defeated the US should enter the war. Perhaps even the Tsar resigns?

I don't know if I see much of a point limiting how many artillery pieces smaller nations can produce. They usually don't have the MP or PP to afford extra artillery' and upkeep for units. If that would be something that happens Austria-Hungry should be allowed to make unlimited artillery pieces as well since there are three fronts to cover.

I have the same thought on artillery shell caps as I do on artillery units. Smaller nations can hardly afford it as it is.

I do not agree with Umeu suggestion that Italy should only have three artillery units. Italy has a hard enough time as it is doing anything until Diaz is unlocked not to mention the rough terrain the front is on. The front could also become highly unbalanced with Austrian and German artillery pounding the Italian lines. I'm using four Italian artillery units right now and I'm taking any hexes yet.

Ottomans I don't want to have a shell limit they have an extremely hard time as it is possibly fighting on four fronts.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Umeu wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:00 pm
Neutrality Violated is too strong. It's currently better to go for NV than to go for Schlieffen plan. NV gives a positional advantage AND a bonus attack on the first turn, while having no downside such as extra PP consumption. It has a minor disadvantage attached to the Netherlands, but it's hardly ever relevant. And Luxembourg gives bonus Diplo points, iirc.
But you're not guaranteed to draw this event. If you insist on reloading I can't help you.

Sacred Way seems unlockable too early, allowing France to leapfrog in the tech race quite hard. Perhaps it needs an additional condition, like can't be sent before a 1915 or something?
Sacred Way is unlocked as soon as Verdun is attacked, so don't do that, else on turn 10. Don't think that's too early. Agree on early tech unlocking though, so Steel Helmets only unlock in singleplayer vs Entente.

Early gas attacks might be too powerful, especially since they can't backfire like they historically did, at Loos for example..
Let's just make gas masks more effective for now.

Forcing the straits event takes a bit too long to appear in the event pool, it feels. I can't get it until after winter 1915 usually, and then it takes 3 turns for Gallipoli to happen.
There's a lot of events around at that time and FtS is only available if enough ships are concentrated around Anzak Koyu and during the summer period.

Scrap collecting is redundant compared to industrial production. I suggest it giving PP to all countries of an alliance rather than just to 1, or do something like permantly increase PP production by like 1 or 2 points.
It's meant to be.

Jihad attack bonus is probably a bit too strong. Could perhaps only be a defensive bonus, not an offensive one. As in, dealing more damage when attacked because more dogged defense, but not when Ottoman units are attacking themselves.
Again, you're not guaranteed to even draw it.

Russian Bonus attack seems way overtuned as well (atleast in MP), but I mentioned this already.#
Is this a general observation or is this impression coming from that game where you were Russia-Surprised?

Offensive in east bonus could end when warsaw + brest litovsk and maybe the forts (kovno, Libau, grodno) + vilna are taken. I know it's a requirement for the event to pop up in the pool, for Warsaw and Brest Litovsk not to be in CP hands, but once you have it, the bonus just stays the whole year.
Reduced duration to max. 6 turns or onset of winter.

Getting sweden to join war on CP side is too easy, it should be a 50/50 on surprise attack, and quite difficult to achieve otherwise. Now however, I can get sweden to join more often than not.
Of course, because you're probably heavily investing into it. But no problem, I'll gladly help you with your Swedish addiction.

Fires in desert aka senussi uprising is too strong at start, should have less units for MP player, but should have option to gain more arab garrison/cav over time just like Kuwaiti for Entente.
Yup if played later in the game the number could get out of hand. Reinforcements are already present but only if Jihad was played.

Suez canal is too easy to take with the home guards (though if Arab garrisons are now the norm, then this has been fixed already). Though, potentially it can be considered to increase entrenchment bonus of canals? Suez was historically quite a barrier.
If Britain DOW & Turkey neutral = home guards
if Britain neutral & Turkey DOW & Britain "surprised" (Sevastopol Shelling/Jihad) = Arabs
if Britain neutral & Turkey DOW & Britain "not surprised" = Reserve Corps & Cavalry

Ostmars is too strong for CP. Defeating Russia is a given. Historically, Russia was kinda weak (At least after the supply crisis) and they collapsed before Serbia did, which says a lot. You have to see the game in terms of Alliance vs Alliance, not individual countries. Imo, Russia failing 10/10 games, is totally acceptable, if Entente can win, let's say, 5/10 games. In that case, the Entente's goal in Russia is not to win the war and force the other to surrender, but to survive and stall for as long as possible, just as it is in Serbia. Nobody expect Serbia to realistically grind AH into dust and survive into 1916. You're happy not to die before end 1914. So, Russia's death I think kinda should be inevitable, but, if this brings USA into the war, then it might not actually weaken the Entente Alliance. Russian war effort should be tied to US war entry. If Russia is doing well, US war entry on Entente side should be greatly delayed. Wilson did not like the Tsar and didn't want to fight on his side. US joined the war a week after the Tsar abdicated. So basically, Tsar abdicate event or Russian revolution or Russia surrenders should greatly shift US alignment towards Entente. This means that quickly kicking russia out of the war or greatly destabilizing it, will come with a huge risk for Germany. They have to be able to win the war or do great damage to France or England before the US joins. (I'm aware that this somehow messes with the Wilson Election events you have in the game, but since Ostmars is kinda a fantasy scenario anyway, I think it's acceptable. And it's necessary for balance purposes I think. However, even in the historical version, it's still a game and I think something can be said for an earlier, let's say mid 1916 US war entry under the right circumstances)
Another way to make it fairer is to have the event France troops enter Belgium come into play faster, or also the option for Belgium to join the Entente to come into play a little bit faster. But not too fast, I kinda prefer the US threat more over the Belgian threat.
I get it but I doubt it will make any difference at this point. In any case I've added pro-Entente shifts for US in for every Russian Demonstration, February Revolution, Tsar resigns & Surrender events.

To balance things out a bit, Romania should probably not join Entente anymore if Russia surrenders before Romania joined Entente.
Yes!
Also, Russia kinda dying in the war should swing Romania back into CP again or at least stay neutral al war, even after Romanian King dies and Treaty of Bucharest
Yes for neutral.

Russian ammo production might need to be a bit higher at the start. But not a major problem.
In Tsarist Russia ammo is you! Let's just give them a big heap of near-expired ammo to blast away when they join but let the factory number remain as low as is.

Murmansk convoys should allow the player to send PP and ammo shipments from brittain to russia if there is naval capacity. (not sure if this is possible, might be hardcoded.)
That's a terrible amount of scripting for basically the same thing the event does.

Mome guard units should get access to anti-air upgrades (as this was historically one of their main purposes). This will also help neutralize bombers a bit more.
No way! Build a Reserve Corps where you need it you stingy lout. :P

Under certain circumstances (for example, such as French troops entered belgium), British and French army command might not get along, and something akin to German and Austrian generals squabling could happen but for French and English generals
Awwww....no.

(...)
That lengthy bit about artillery & ammo limits for minors is interesting but will need a lot of work which which I'd like to postpone as my mind is still fixed on the AI crash issue.

When picking the scenario in the MP section, it would be helpful if the description included instructions on where to get mod and warning for people not to join if they don't have the mod. I've noticed some people joining who seem to be new to the game, and don't realize they can't play without the mod. It would also help attract new players who can then write pages upon pages to you, pestering you to make your mod even more awesome.
Good idea.
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

As version 17.1 is going to be available Saturday is there a battle plan and side you would prefer for me to play first or whichever one I’d prefer?
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:39 pm.
But you're not guaranteed to draw this event. If you insist on reloading I can't help you.
Not sure why you keep bringing up reloading :/ but it's kinda irrelavent even if it were true.
The event is almost guaranteed in SP, but while it's true that in MP it's not, I still think it's too strong when you do draw it. When we talked earlier, you said you were unhappy with Namur consistantly falling in t3. NV guarantees that it falls in t3, and it also guarantees that you don't have to choose between Namur or Brussels, as was the case before, but you consistently get Namur, Brussels and Liege in t3 with less losses + a better position for t4. It's not the end of the world, but this is my observation.
Sacred Way is unlocked as soon as Verdun is attacked, so don't do that, else on turn 10. Don't think that's too early. Agree on early tech unlocking though, so Steel Helmets only unlock in singleplayer vs Entente.
What about flamethrowers?
Let's just make gas masks more effective for now.
Not sure if that matters. Gas masks are already pretty effective when they come into play. Gas isn't an issue later. It's just the first few attacks, about 4-5 turns when gas masks aren't in play yet, you can roll 6 dmg vs reserve corps and cavalry and 3 dmg vs infantry quite regularly. I'm fine with calling it shock value and keeping it as is, but it might be something worth looking at if it's easy to change.

There's a lot of events around at that time and FtS is only available if enough ships are concentrated around Anzak Koyu and during the summer period.
Yeah, it seemed like I had to wait for winter to end. It's fine as is I suppose, but having it available from start 1915 would have my preference.

Again, you're not guaranteed to even draw it.
I really don't see why that's a good argument though. In MP, people easily give up when the game seems impossible to win. Jihad singlehandly ensures that Ottomans demolish their enemies. In my game vs Wolf, reserve corps went from 0-3 to 3-0 or 3-1 vs Russian army corps, and my Turkish army corps in Suez rolled an 8-0 vs a British reserve corps holding Suez. Sure, you might not always get Jihad, but when you do, you've won the Turkish front.

Is this a general observation or is this impression coming from that game where you were Russia-Surprised?
A general observation, from both SP and MP. Actually in the game I got Russia-Surprised, I managed to mitigate most damage from the Steamroller by getting Tannenberg early. Wolf might have a point by saying that Russia doesn't need more nerfs, and since you're making Wireless intercepted a bit easier to get, I think it might be fine. Germany just needs to get Tannenberg quickly in order to not suffer the steamroller. I think that's fair.

Of course, because you're probably heavily investing into it. But no problem, I'll gladly help you with your Swedish addiction.
Not that much. Can get it with 2 influences, and usually at t6, I can have 50 diplo point stacked depending on how the advance into France goes. There aren't really many events worth getting at the start anyway for CP.

I get it but I doubt it will make any difference at this point. In any case I've added pro-Entente shifts for US in for every Russian Demonstration, February Revolution, Tsar resigns & Surrender events.
Are you going to add this, or was it already in the game? In the latter case, I missed that, my bad.

No way! Build a Reserve Corps where you need it you stingy lout. :P
My rule is never build reserves :mrgreen:

That lengthy bit about artillery & ammo limits for minors is interesting but will need a lot of work which which I'd like to postpone as my mind is still fixed on the AI crash issue.
fair enough. Let me know if I can help out with any reloa...cough testing :lol:
Last edited by Umeu on Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Wolf001 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:43 pm I don't have any multiplayer suggestions as to add as I've only played two multiplayer games to this date. I'm only going to add my thoughts to Umeu's suggestions that stick out to me.

I agree on Neutrality Violated is too strong in MP and SP games. The disadvantage with the Netherlands is minimal. Combined with Austrian Siege Howitzers an Wave of Patriotism you seem more or less guaranteed to reach Paris or take it in 1914. The only answer to it is either early Russian Mobilization or to abandon Plan XVII. I just feel there needs to be a bigger risk playing Neutrality Violated beyond the food risk with the Netherlands.
I would prefer the attack bonus to be removed. I think it makes more sense on the Schlieffen than the Violated. But if that will be kept, then indeed, I agree some bigger risk attached to the plan would go a long way into balancing it a bit more.

The Russian Steamroller I wouldn't change. Russia has a hard time as it is during the game and I'm not sure needs crippled anymore.
You actually make a good point here. So as I wrote in the previous post, it might be fine now with the changes to Tannenberg.

Suez is too easy to take that I will agree on. The Ottoman units should loose efficiency quickly when attacking the Suez the heat and water was what really held the Ottomans back.
I think it already is this way, but all should lose more efficiency. I think with the info that Robotron gave me, I'm going to change my mind. When Britain declares before Ottomans, they should be able to hold easily by just sending a few reserve corps there and then rotate. Especially if the change to artillery is implemented at some point, Ottomans really will have a hard time breaking through that line. Arab garrison already shuts it down as well imo.

I don't know if I see much of a point limiting how many artillery pieces smaller nations can produce. They usually don't have the MP or PP to afford extra artillery' and upkeep for units. If that would be something that happens Austria-Hungry should be allowed to make unlimited artillery pieces as well since there are three fronts to cover.
From a gameplay perspective, I think that is probably the right choice.
I have the same thought on artillery shell caps as I do on artillery units. Smaller nations can hardly afford it as it is.
I disagree on this, it's quite easily to get any nation up to 10, to constantly use heavy artillery 1 time every round, if you consider that you're moving and upgrading on average every other turn, and if you stockpile in winter, you can consistently use 2 pieces on smaller nations if one of the bigger ones can send some PP to help build the piece. But as Robotron mentioned he won't be working on this change anytime soon, it seems a moot point. So I'm fine with keeping it as is.
I do not agree with Umeu suggestion that Italy should only have three artillery units. Italy has a hard enough time as it is doing anything until Diaz is unlocked not to mention the rough terrain the front is on. The front could also become highly unbalanced with Austrian and German artillery pounding the Italian lines. I'm using four Italian artillery units right now and I'm taking any hexes yet.
We're still quite early in the game, and Italy enters with a tech disadvantage compared to nations that started warring in 1914. So give it a year or so, and those pieces will do work.
Ottomans I don't want to have a shell limit they have an extremely hard time as it is possibly fighting on four fronts.
Hmm, I mean it was historically hard, but I don't think it's extremely hard tbh. Especially if Ottomans join early, they can actually be in a very good place as they can stock up ammo and PP
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

The game I've been playing with Umeu is now crashing on me when I'm watching the end turn replay. Everything will be normal until the end of the replay when the convoys are moving and the game will crash. I've reloaded the game two times and its crashing in the same spot. I was planning on stopping the current game at some point today since V17.1 is near the game just ended a little sooner then I expected.
Attachments
MPcrashLog.zip
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

No crash report in log...same as with "AI crash bug". What can I say?

Did that happen in turn 25 by any chance?
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

quite possible. I don't recall exactly, but I think when I ended my turn, it was 1 turn before winter would start in end 1915. So I think that's t25.
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

It was turn 26 when the crash happened. Could the Suez being blocked cause pathfinding issues with the convoy that should spawn there? There was one convoy stuck unable to get through the Suez for two or three turns.

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”