Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Potzblitz V17 JAN13th 2023

Post by Robotron »

Umeu wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:13 am
he AI triggered Hinderburg saves the day without killing even a single Russian unit on hexes that can trigger Tannenberg, and thus immediately ending the bonus.
Stupid AI would take ages to get Tannenberg done otherwise.

Wolf mentioned there's a bug with Cadorna failed offensive, but I've not been able to replicate it. Might be Rupprecht scenario related.
Fixed in V18.

When you pick wave of Patriotism on the turn that Russian steamroller is active, they don't stack. Instead, wave of Patriotism takes primacy, and the attacks don't seem to count toward the Steamroller bonus increasing, and Von Francois is not unlocked.
They are both added, I just re-checked.

in v17, can't send Goeben anymore from t3 onwards, before you could send it until like t6 or even later. WAD or bug?
No Goeben after Britain joins.

In the Ostmars scenario, parts of the French army are still immobilized as if they were surprised by a German attack into Belgium. WAD or bug?
Bug.

In the Rupprecht scenario, when playing SP, taking German hexes as Russia brings Italy closer to the Entente. But in MP, this doesn't seem to happen, or at least, the effect is so much smaller that I didn't notice it.
The effect is 0.35% pro-Entente for Italy per Russian unit before Tannenberg, less after.

Been seeing the political buff event a lot lately. Not sure if it's new, hadn't seen it ever before. It's a decent event early in the game, but it's quite useless later on. I propose that it gets discarded if not used after a certain amount of turns (let's say 3?) or discarded at the start of 1915, like a few other events.
Buff? There's no Buff. If you mean "Politcal Bluff" then I agree on earlier removal. Turn 6 sounds alright.

Another idea regarding making mud a bit more interesting and relevant, it could lower trench levels by 1 factor as long as the hex is affected by mud (symbolizing how muddy trenches were almost impossible to repair and maintain), either by default, or if a unit attacks/is attacked. Potentially, entrenched dugouts can cancel this effect, but might not be necessary.
No way I'm ever touching that entrenchment stuff again!

I've played a few Rupprecht and Ostmars starts, and in MP, these aren't as well balanced as the Schlieffen/Moltke variations. The Entente army starting positions in both these scenarios require slight improvements, especially in the Ostmars variation (...)
In short: I'll see what I can make of it.

The effects of the horse massacre event aren't very noticeable, and perhaps should give a slightly bigger penalty.
Cavalry is already pretty useless after 1914, no need to nerf it further.

Is it possible to increase experience levels from 3 to 5?
No, too much work.

what are the criteria for Masurian Lakes event, and what does it do / affect
see "Russian Invasion repelled" in pdf.

Do the events related to Tannenberg, aka Wireless intercepted, Max Hoffman, Bring Hindenberg & Tannenberg still occur in the Ostmars scenario? Because I killed 2 Russian cavalry corps in 1 turn as Germany, but it didn't unlock Hindenberg or trigger Tannenberg in Ostmars. Problably WAD, but just like to confirm.
No Tannenburg or Hindenberg in AUFMARSCH OST.

What do these events do / how do they work/unlock?
Replace Cadorna,
French Army caught Offguard,
scourge of the black sea,
race to the sea (there are 2 outcomes, but not sure what it does? only flavor?),
russia sends help to serbia (know most about it, except how big is the help exactly?),
Venizelos resigns
Ober Ost created
(any other events that can trigger in 1914 related to German invasion of France/Belgium not already mentioned in pdf)
Fort Roupel ceded to CP
Hell of verdun
Colonel Hentsch

Seriously, RTFM!
Robotron wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:21 pm Updated PDF with events suggested by Umeu and updated lots of other stuff to better reflect what is going on in the game :
https://easyupload.io/c7d0nk
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Umeu
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Umeu »

lol take it easy :mrgreen: I didn't see you uploaded a new version of the manual :) but thanks for that.

Tannenberg triggered on Russian soil :P can that event be restricted to killing Russian units on Prussian hexes only?

Also, do Russian units get a winter advantage? Just want to know. It's not because I'm getting my ass kicked... :mrgreen:
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

(..)
Last edited by Robotron on Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Munt
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Munt »

Umeu wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:04 pm
Munt wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:26 pm Hi.

I think the Russian full mobilization event bugged.
After of a half day to restarts or loads cant played this card.
The Organize Defense of Galicia or German Army redeploys was played by CP..
my game vs you is bugged btw, I can't continue it. Let me know if you want to start a new one. We can play 15.2 or play v17 with the modified technology.lua file I uploaded a few posts back.
Hi Umeu,

After the new patch we can meet in the battlefield again. :)
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Munt wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:49 pm
Umeu wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:04 pm
Munt wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:26 pm Hi.

I think the Russian full mobilization event bugged.
After of a half day to restarts or loads cant played this card.
The Organize Defense of Galicia or German Army redeploys was played by CP..
my game vs you is bugged btw, I can't continue it. Let me know if you want to start a new one. We can play 15.2 or play v17 with the modified technology.lua file I uploaded a few posts back.
Hi Umeu,

After the new patch we can meet in the battlefield again. :)
looking forward to it! V18 looks like it's gonna be great!
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677
Wolf001
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Wolf001 »

Is Rupprecht only allowed to be on the western front? During a Aufmarsch-Ost game that I was testing strategies on. He was unlocked after taking Warsaw and couldn’t be attached to a unit in the east.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@Wolf:An oversight, I will remove him from Aufmarsch Ost as he is meant to be used in the west only.
Umeu wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:59 pm
Tannenberg triggered on Russian soil :P can that event be restricted to killing Russian units on Prussian hexes only?
No, since the defending unit is already dead when the event triggers there is no hex left tied to the unit that could be checked.
I will add further checks to the X/Y coordinates of the attacker instead to make sure the defender was in East Prussia.

Also, do Russian units get a winter advantage? Just want to know. It's not because I'm getting my ass kicked... :mrgreen:
Njet!
Wolf001

Post by Wolf001 »

When I played the Entente you wanted the Russians nerfed. Now that I’m playing Central Powers you want them buffed? :roll:
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Wolf001 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:03 pm

When I played the Entente you wanted the Russians nerfed. Now that I’m playing Central Powers you want them buffed? :roll:
not true :P I said Russia needed a buff overall, just the steamroller itself was too strong. But I later agreed with your point that Russia probably can't have any nerfs.

In general, I think many of the attack bonuses were a bit overtuned, and I asked for many to be nerfed a bit. I think that rolling 7-0 or 8-0 is not fun. 3-0 or 4-0 that's more than enough.
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Wolf001 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:03 pm

thanks,

I've 1 more event for manual :P

Scottish Women / Send medical aid to Serbia (they're the same?). What does it do / require to unlock to the pool?

Btw, I got Moltke's plan failed in Ostmars despite taking the objectives of Option 2 (Warsaw + Brest Litovsk) the turn before. Only the message, not the collapse points.
Last edited by Umeu on Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Before we say goodbye to it, 1 last AAR to celebrate v17. I'm playing a very well-balanced and nail biting game vs Wolf.

The Balkan front:

Austria-Hungary began the war with shelling Belgrade, and a light encirclement of Cer. And so, Serbian high command, contrary to expectations, threw caution in the wind. They went on the offensive and invaded. The message was clear. Serbia shall not bow! The Serbian 1st army captured the invaluable railway head connecting Belgrade and Cer, while at the same time strengthening the flanks of both cities. This offensive seemed to take Austrian command by surprise. Several battles were fought between the Serbian right and Austrian left flanks, until the latter was routed. The Serbian 3rd army under command of the indomitable Putnik advanced all the way to Temeschburg, pushing back the Austrian artillery and threatening to overrun and encircle the Austrians. Russian volunteers who travelled through Romania managed to bolster the Serbian defenders, and the bells rang in Belgrade when a combined assault by the 1st and 3rd army crushed an Austrian corps. The road to Budapest lay open. The Serbian people demanded more advances, but Putnik recognized that his army was not organized enough for such a logistical feat. Instead, he retreated. It was in the nick of time, for not much later, a German force of crack infantry, cavalry and artillery railed in to support the failing Austrians. Piotorek was fired to despair of the Serbian forces. He had been their best chance of victory. Under command of Von Mackensen, this combined force hurled themselves at Serbian lines holding the Danube. They held for a month, but were forced back after the Austrians recaptured the railway between Belgrade and Cer, threatening to cut off the latter. Serbian high command decided to evacuate the city instead. Content with having pushed back the Serbians, most of the German force was redirected towards Russia, where they praised their little Serbian brother for his courage. The Serbian offensive had punished Austria for stripping that front to defend Galicia, and even managed to temporarily draw away German reinforcements away from

The Russian front:

Things kicked off here with an invasion of the Central powers by the Russian juggernaut. East-Prussia was devastated and Galicia threatened to be overrun, but because of the decision by both nations to evecuate cities directly at the front line, no major battles were fought. This soon changed however, as the a Russian force under command of Samsonov and Plehwe managed to push back Austrian defenses near Krakov with a series of bold cavalry charges. When a division supported by an armored train entered the city, its fate was sealed. Krakov was no under Russian control. Despite the victory, the Russian steamroller never quite got up to steam, and they were repulsed outside of Lemberg and the forts near Konigsberg. Soon, the Central Powers would be on the offensive, driving Rennenkampf out of East-Prussia with overwhelming force. And the Russian lines near Novo-Georgievsk were almost broken. The only front where they were having success, was in Galicia. Ivanov shattered the Austrian right and marched his warriors into Czernowitz, capturing Lemberg shortly after. He was of a mind to continue the advance when he heard that German general Hindenburg had won a devastating victory over Rennenkampf at the well-known and pitoresque Russian village of Tannenberg ( :mrgreen: ). Ivanov had to send men to make sure Vilna would not fall, and all hopes of further Russian gains were thwarted. The Germans brought up heavy artillery from the Western front, and the Russians were pushed back east of Warshaw, though the advance was quickly checked as reinforcements from the heartland trickled into Poland. There were generals who wanted to evacuate Lodz and give up Krakov to shorten the salient and free up reinforcements to plug the gaps that the German artillery would eventually blast into Russian lines, but the Tsar and his cousin Ivanov would have nothing of it. They still dreamed of a spring offensive and a mad dash towards Vienna and Budapest in spring of 1915. instead, the Russians held their lines through an uneventful winter. But high command received disturbing reports of huge quantities of cannisters with an ominous skull painted on them being supplied to the ever increasing artillery batteries mustering near their front lines. And despite a succesful naval campaign in the Baltic, Russian fate now depended on how things fared over at

The Western front:

Germany demanded passage and Belgium yielded, letting their hordes pass without a fight, but also without murder, pillage and rape. The French high command recognized the danger and changed their doctrine of attack to one of defense. Ypres was briefly occupied but not for long. The Germans advanced quicker and with more force than expected, laying bare the path to Calais. The defenders at Ypres did not die in vain though. With their lives they protected the flank of Lille, which held out two weeks longer, allowing valuable industry to be shipped to safety before German forces laid waste to the city. It was not Joffre but Lanrezac and his 5th army who would be the heroes of this story, aided by his helpers, Gallieni and Mangin's army of Africa. They checked the German advance at the Marne, with men driven to the front in taxis. Joffre took command of the army near Calais, but his right flank got mauled by German elite soldiers under Hausen and Kluck. Joffre and his corps were cut off and under siege. With the main fleet in the Mediteranean, they managed to evacuate from the beaches just in time, being rescued by the Breton and Norman merchant marine and the occasional British fishing sloop. They could not have done it sooner, because a German light cruiser squadron was en route to destroy them. Fisher fulminated over the audacity of German ships in the English channel, bringing the British to the brink of war. They would soon join. With France secure, high command decided to send seasoned tirailleurs from Morocco over to Serbia, but Sarrail was nowhere to be found (bug?).

The British war entry meant war on the seas as well as in the skies. While the Russian naval campaign drew the majority of the German fleet to the Baltic, the British intercepted vital convoys out of Africa and Norway. Soon, Germany would be cut off from the world and blockaded into starvation. This was further stressed by the declaration of war on Germany by Kapan, and the capture of Samoa. The British also sent medical aid to Serbia in the form of a Scottish nursing battalion. With the French front stable, the British high command decided to use the BEF to train the men who had volunteered and signed up in droves. They would be remembered as the Pals.

The war was not over by Christmas, despite widespread rumors of various truces on the Western front. Instead, as the new year beckoned, the war was about to intensify further. Bulgaria stirred, looking jealously at the Serbian successes. The Romanian king had died, and his successor, impressed by the Russian victories in Galicia, leaned towards the Entente. The biggest turncloack, however, was Italy. After first declaring neutrality right after the Austrians attacked Serbia, they now demanded the secession of Trento, with the inspiring poet D'Annunzio riling up the people.

It is spring 1915, and All is Equal on All fronts.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Umeu wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:32 am Btw, I got Moltke's plan failed in Ostmars despite taking the objectives of Option 2 (Warsaw + Brest Litovsk) the turn before. Only the message, not the collapse points.
Can't see anything wrong with the script, provide last AutoSaveEndTurn.
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:43 pm
Umeu wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:32 am Btw, I got Moltke's plan failed in Ostmars despite taking the objectives of Option 2 (Warsaw + Brest Litovsk) the turn before. Only the message, not the collapse points.
Can't see anything wrong with the script, provide last AutoSaveEndTurn.

here you go
AutoSaveEndTurn Moltke Failed.rar
(131.02 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Do you know if Slitherine can restart accidentally surrendered games in mp?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Cause of problem: reloading on turn 2 led to loss of internal value for German objective in the east.

See, the choice event for the objective in this scenario triggers during the event phase happening at the start of the 2nd turn, you would then make your decision which is stored in a constant.

However that constant will/can only be stored upon saving the game either manually or by autosave. If then instead of saving the game you reload the second turn then the choice event won't trigger again for you to make a choice, leaving the constant empty.
I'm sure they can't. You can consider yourself lucky enough should they even bother to remove the challenges that can't be continued due to replay crashes.
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

Robotron wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:15 pm Cause of problem: reloading on turn 2 led to loss of internal value for German objective in the east.

See, the choice event for the objective in this scenario triggers during the event phase happening at the start of the 2nd turn, you would then make your decision which is stored in a constant.

However that constant will/can only be stored upon saving the game either manually or by autosave. If then instead of saving the game you reload the second turn then the choice event won't trigger again for you to make a choice, leaving the constant empty.
I'm sure they can't. You can consider yourself lucky enough should they even bother to remove the challenges that can't be continued due to replay crashes.
Gotcha. But why didn't it give me any collapse points then? Because technically I hadn't selected any option?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Exactly. The script looked for the objective which was still set at 0 but was expected to be either 1 or 2 and thus skipped the collapse points.
Munt
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Munt »

Any one interesting about this game?
Coming in 2023.03.30.

The Great War: Western Front
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

That's an RTS, I'm not interested into this kind of game.

And as punishment for even mentioning this I'll further delay uploading V18.0 by 30 more minutes. :mrgreen:
Umeu

Post by Umeu »

I love RTS, used to play tons of AoE and Starcraft. But this one doesn't look that great to me. I think if you want to turn WW1 into an RTS you'd have to do it company of heroes style, but choose to focus on small battlefield sections, rather than whole campaigns. Or I suppose something in the Total War fashion. There is a mod on Napoleon Total war that does somewhat alright, at least with the battle part. Not the Grand Campaign. For that I think hex based games are probably best. Or tabletop board games!
Robotron

Re: Potzblitz V18.0 FEB 4th 2023

Post by Robotron »

(...)
Last edited by Robotron on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”