Field of Glory II Tournament Suggestions

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
melm
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: Field of Glory II Tournament Suggestions

Post by melm »

I think the tournament can add two timers for each match.
Currently one round takes 14 days to complete. We may evenly split it to 7 days for each side, i.e. 168 hours for each side. Once the game automatically issued by the system, two timers showing along with the current remaining time. When it is Side A's turn to reply, then Side A's timer starts to tick down until he sends his turn to Side B. At that time, Side B timer starts to tick down until he sends his to Side A. Finally, if the game is not completed, the player who spends less time wins the game. I think it may give some pressure for both sides to finish each round. It may also force player to start the game early. Otherwise, the other side can win without even play. (To be honest, I stole the idea from Twilight Struggle online system :) )
Meditans ex luce mundi
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

melm wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:48 pm I think the tournament can add two timers for each match.
Currently one round takes 14 days to complete. We may evenly split it to 7 days for each side, i.e. 168 hours for each side. Once the game automatically issued by the system, two timers showing along with the current remaining time. When it is Side A's turn to reply, then Side A's timer starts to tick down until he sends his turn to Side B. At that time, Side B timer starts to tick down until he sends his to Side A. Finally, if the game is not completed, the player who spends less time wins the game. I think it may give some pressure for both sides to finish each round. It may also force player to start the game early. Otherwise, the other side can win without even play. (To be honest, I stole the idea from Twilight Struggle online system :) )
There already are 2 timers, and although they are not displayed, they work exactly as you suggest, apart from the automatic win. A player cannot win by not playing. If one player does not play at least 12 turns, the faster player will win both matches and score 75 points for each.
Richard Bodley Scott

melm

Post by melm »

double posted. delete.
Last edited by melm on Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meditans ex luce mundi
melm

Post by melm »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:20 pm
melm wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:48 pm I think the tournament can add two timers for each match.
There already are 2 timers, and although they are not displayed, they work exactly as you suggest, apart from the automatic win. A player cannot win by not playing. If one player does not play at least 12 turns, the faster player will win both matches and score 75 points for each.
Any concern not just comparing the consumed time but adding 12 turns threshold?
BTW, I think making timers visual may add some psycho motivation.
Meditans ex luce mundi
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

melm wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:26 pmAny concern not just comparing the consumed time but adding 12 turns threshold?
I am not sure what you mean.
BTW, I think making timers visual may add some psycho motivation.
It would be nice to think so, but I am not convinced it would do much to motivate those that really need motivating. However, I will raise the issue with those in control of how the tournament system works.
Richard Bodley Scott

melm

Post by melm »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:34 pm
melm wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:26 pmAny concern not just comparing the consumed time but adding 12 turns threshold?

Never mind. Maybe it's not fair just comparing time left if the game is close to complete but not complete. If that is the case, how about extending 12 turns to 20 turns? 12 turns is surely not close to complete but 20 is.
Meditans ex luce mundi
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

melm wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:20 am
rbodleyscott wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Never mind. Maybe it's not fair just comparing time left if the game is close to complete but not complete. If that is the case, how about extending 12 turns to 20 turns? 12 turns is surely not close to complete but 20 is.
We have considered doing this. However, we have to allow for the possibility that some games will inevitably resolve more slowly than others, however active the participants, because of antipodean time zone issues.

It would not really be fair to punish the player who is slightly slower when both sides are only able to play 1 turn per day because their day-times do not significantly overlap.
Richard Bodley Scott

melm

Post by melm »

For the motivation, IMO new players(I mean who have enough courage to sign in the tournament) mostly need it. How about offering 85 points for new comers' first two tournament if they finish all the matches, including the match their opponent stop playing(150 pts situation). After six matches, they will decide to stay or leave.
Meditans ex luce mundi
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

melm wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:56 am For the motivation, IMO new players(I mean who have enough courage to sign in the tournament) mostly need it. How about offering 85 points for new comers' first two tournament if they finish all the matches, including the match their opponent stop playing(150 pts situation). After six matches, they will decide to stay or leave.
I think it is most unlikely that I could sell that idea to the Slitherine folk who decide how the tournament system works.
Richard Bodley Scott

melm

Post by melm »

rbodleyscott wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:00 am
melm wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:56 am For the motivation, IMO new players(I mean who have enough courage to sign in the tournament) mostly need it. How about offering 85 points for new comers' first two tournament if they finish all the matches, including the match their opponent stop playing(150 pts situation). After six matches, they will decide to stay or leave.
I think it is most unlikely that I could sell that idea to the Slitherine folk who decide how the tournament system works.
Never mind. Just some idea trying to get more invovled in MP community and to improve tournament finish rate.
Meditans ex luce mundi
General Shapur
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by General Shapur »

Just got a pounding in my last tourney game by Romans (well played to my opponent - it was a real drumming). But his strategy had me thinking the setup for tourney games could be different and make the game more 'realistic'.

In effect my opponent pulled his Romans into a corner and thus did not have to overly worry about attacks on the rear or 1 flank - placing my more mobile horse/chariots in the next to useless category ( I had maxed these out - so that was a lot of my army). Certainly, I could see this occurring and I didn't necessarily have to commit - we could have had a Mexican stand off. But, would it not be better to have a larger map with units placed in the middle and thus not able to 'play' the board edge?
Previously - Pete AU (SSG)
nyczar
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by nyczar »

Hi General Shapur,

do a search for Turtling, you will see there has been a discussion on this type of play.
vakarr

Post by vakarr »

I think there should be a handicap system based on the army chosen, to encourage a wider choice of army types and make battles a little fairer. Players used to talk about "A", "B" or "C" class armies and it would be possible to classify them that way. Then, if you have

A vs A: no change, terrain is pot luck unless players agree
A vs B: B chooses the terrain type
A vs C: C chooses the terrain type and either the type of battle (e.g maybe a flank march could be allowed) or gets some additional points
B vs C: C Chooses the terrain type
B vs B: pot luck unless players agree
C vs C: pot luck unless players agree

Actually I would like to see a terrain weighting system or pre-battle matching system, to allow for the total unsuitability of some armies for certain types of terrain if the players can't agree what terrain to fight on. A pre-battle matching system might involve players each choosing three types of different terrain each and each type of terrain being given a numerical value, which when added together gives a result corresponding to the terrain to be used, with the lower total number or the combined total being the winner. For example Player 1 might choose Med Agricultural (1 point), Mid East Agricultural (2 points), and Steppe (0 points) while Player 2 would might choose Med woods (3 points), Med hills (3 points), and jungle (3 points).

Criteria
A: Class
popular army choice
wins a lot of competitions
has a good choice of different types of troops
has some superior or elite troops

B: Class
not quite so popular
wins some competitions
has a varied list but is restricted on some troop types
has some superior or elite troops

C: Class
unpopular army
rarely, if ever, wins competitions
lacks many troop types, probably a one dimensional army that works best only in one type of terrain
has few superior troops and probably no elite troops
melm

Post by melm »

But Slitherine tournament is fully automated. You don't even have a choice.
Meditans ex luce mundi
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

I mean, it's a mirror match, and everybody gets the same map, so does it really matter? Perhaps your post is more relevant to the Digital League?
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
vakarr

Post by vakarr »

Oh, sorry, I didn't know that, I thought it was just like an ordinary wargames competition, I didn't know that's what the mirror feature was for.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

... a losing player sitting on a game to deny the opponent points in the knowledge he has played 12 turns
has reared it's ugly head again" Unfortunately, this strategy continues to detract from an otherwise enjoyable competition. This seems to be more prevalent among more recent tournament players who meticulously calculate the odds at the expense of fair and equitable play.

While I agree with Richard that extending the played turns means that ...
it would not really be fair to punish the player who is slightly slower when both sides are only able to play 1 turn per day because their day-times do not significantly overlap.
, when regularly return play suddenly stops 2-3 days before the deadline when the scores are near the 60% threshold there is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

GDod wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:00 am
... a losing player sitting on a game to deny the opponent points in the knowledge he has played 12 turns
has reared it's ugly head again" Unfortunately, this strategy continues to detract from an otherwise enjoyable competition. This seems to be more prevalent among more recent tournament players who meticulously calculate the odds at the expense of fair and equitable play.

While I agree with Richard that extending the played turns means that ...
it would not really be fair to punish the player who is slightly slower when both sides are only able to play 1 turn per day because their day-times do not significantly overlap.
, when regularly return play suddenly stops 2-3 days before the deadline when the scores are near the 60% threshold there is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.
To be fair, many players have gaps in their play due to travel etc.etc. When this happens near the end of the time limit it is annoying, espeically when one is winning, but one cannot necessarily assume that it is malicious. But it could be sometimes. We will think about it.
Richard Bodley Scott

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

To be fair, many players have gaps in their play due to travel etc.etc. When this happens near the end of the time limit it is annoying, especially when one is winning, but one cannot necessarily assume that it is malicious. But it could be sometimes. We will think about it.
Although suspicious, as one gets a feel of game-play, I agree. However, I would like to think that a player would pm an apology for incomplete game-play when they are able.

At the same time, I'm stumped as to the remedy. I accept that every possibility cannot be factored and appreciate all the hard work developers and programmers have undertaken to develop a workable and enjoyable system for all us dedicated enthusiasts.

Perhaps a partial remedy is that the abandoned point score should form part of the solution. For example, if it is within slim % of the threshold then the penalty could apply.

Or simply, that we should encourage all players to acknowledge their adversaries time they have already given to the current game. Personally, this aberration has occurred in only 3 games within all the entered tournaments since their inception. It's annoying, but doesn't deter participation and luckily we continue to have this active forum for opportunities to improve the product.
General Shapur

Post by General Shapur »

I have had some tournament games not go to the end. Once its been my fault as work commitments overshadowed everything, I do let players know if that happens.
However, I have also had opponents that hold off playing close games, often submitting a turn I can't respond to in the closing minutes - that sucks. I have had opponents that play the minimum turns and just get a rubbish score that ruins the tournament.
I think the best motivation to get turns done quickly and fully is to award the win (for unfinished games) to the person that took the least time and award the points in the same way as a win regardless of the score. If I get caught out with work, then my opponent isnt disadvantaged, I'm OK with that. If someone tries to slow the game down, then they will loose the win.
Previously - Pete AU (SSG)

Return to “Field of Glory II”