Erik's campaigns & mods

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

conboy
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Erik's campaigns & mods (Operation Typhoon v0.9 beta-test)

Post by conboy »

#4 - Maloyroslavets
I had a devil of a time with this one, stray soviet units cut off my spearheads and it took forever to get things back under control.
The counters for the primary objectives did not work - it always showed 1/5 throughout.
I thought it odd that the Soviets had a fighter but the Germans don't. Did I miss a chance to buy one somewhere? (Never mind, it looks like there were some BF 110s that I could have deployed).
Not a bad scenario, just maddening to get a long way down the road and then barely be able to piece things back together after main forces getting cut off.
After I took all the objectives on turn 26, nuked out.

conboy
Bobster66
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Bobster66 »

conboy wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:45 pm #4 - Maloyroslavets
I had a devil of a time with this one, stray soviet units cut off my spearheads and it took forever to get things back under control.
The counters for the primary objectives did not work - it always showed 1/5 throughout.
I thought it odd that the Soviets had a fighter but the Germans don't. Did I miss a chance to buy one somewhere? (Never mind, it looks like there were some BF 110s that I could have deployed).
Not a bad scenario, just maddening to get a long way down the road and then barely be able to piece things back together after main forces getting cut off.
After I took all the objectives on turn 26, nuked out.

conboy
Oh, yeah. I thought that was a fun little trick by Erik! :D Fortunately, I noticed the out of supply Ruskie inching his way to Maloyaroslavets before any serious damage was done.

#5 - Tula - Now this one was a real slog. Slow moving, too many units and bottle necks. Not the most fun and I was pretty sure the final objective was unreachable in time. However, I did mange to force the defender out of Tula with my very last available unit on the last turn. So it is doable.

#6 - Teploye - This one was fun with an intense head to head clash. Erik was up to his tricks again like in Maloarosavets but this time I didn't notice the lone unit moving forward across the top of the map and I had to disband a unit so I could defend Petrovka only to find that the partisans had already arrived! :o That was a really good touch. Again though, this scenario could probably be cut down to 24 turns as there was a lot of remaining turns with no enemy units left on the map.

#7 - Kashira - Another long one but much more fun than Tula because your units can move much faster. Realized on turn 12 that I made a tactical error spending too much effort in assaulting Tula directly so restarted and actually followed the directions. This time circling Tula and blitzing all the way to Kashira worked wonderfully.

I didn't notice any technical issues with any of these scenarios.

One aspect of this campaign I am really enjoying is the use of construction crews to build airstrips. It adds a whole new dimension to your tactical planning. Especially in the big maps like Tula and Kashira, planning where and when to build your airstrips are major decisions.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Erik's campaigns & mods

Post by Erik2 »

Interesting that two players have a quite different experience with Maloyroslavets.
One thought it was easy while the other find it difficult.
conboy

Post by conboy »

Erik2 said:
One thought it was easy while the other find it difficult.
It probably would have been fairly easy if I hadn't messed around and left my rear areas unguarded.

Tula was difficult, more from the time crunch than anything. This time I had numerous assets guarding/patrolling the rear areas. But it was a good scenario, good for a thrill and a little panic watching the clock. I bought 2 Pz II and one Pz1 toward the end -- needed some speed to get to the objective.

Good job, not bad a-tawl!

However! I did not get credit for taking the 4 objectives at all, nor for the Tanks killed, and credit for Tula was awarded only on turn 36 (captured turn 34).

conboy
Bobster66

Post by Bobster66 »

Operation Typhoon

Ok, I've now made it through Istra and Klin, as well as Kubinka, Krasnaya and Kalinin.

Only one minor issue I came across that was in Klin, the Primary Objective states "capture all 5 objectives" but there are actually 6. Otherwise, this campaign was been remarkably bug free, especially for a first release.

The first four scenarios all went down to the wire, so they are good challenges and their turn lengths are all good. In Kalinin City I had about 10 turns remaining after I had repulsed all the Russian assaults and they had nothing left to attack except for the occasional air raid.

I'm really enjoying this campaign.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Re: Operation Typhoon v0.9 beta-test

Post by GabeKnight »

Erik2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:20 am This is a long about the German struggle to reach Moscow in 1941-42.
It consists of 23 medium-to-large sized scenarios, so probably not suitable for everyone...

Please report back in this thread. And have fun :wink:
Thanks, Erik.

The campaign plays excellent so far. Yeah, there are the usual objective trigger problems :wink: (most of them reported already), but the unit balance fits perfectly with me (diff. IV). So, thanks again for this. :D :!:

(I'm at 05Teploye right now)

PS: I'm not really against a "predefined" core force, but I'd rather have RPs to choose my own. I mean, really, after a few scens I bought and "upgraded" every unit to whatever I wanted anyways... like heavy infantry... seriously, how could you not include heavy infantry in my core force...??? ( :lol: )
Bobster66 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:27 pm One aspect of this campaign I am really enjoying is the use of construction crews to build airstrips. It adds a whole new dimension to your tactical planning.
Fully agree. Strange at first, but it's fun counting the turns when and where to build... :lol:
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

There is a setting in the scenario where the player is allowed to exchange core units with RPs and roll his own.
But it may not work with pre-deployed core units (or at all, I reported an issue with this way back).

Personally I like to start with historical units and update during a campaign.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Erik2 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:50 pm There is a setting in the scenario where the player is allowed to exchange core units with RPs and roll his own.
Yeah, but only with single scens, not campaigns.

A suggestion, if I may: Please don't use that much dense forest hexes (same with swamp and jungle). It may LOOK good on the map, but it slows and hinders gameplay immensly. About half of my units (mechanical) can not enter/attack those hexes - where all the enemy infanry's going to hide...
And together with winter/mud climate settings, most of my units can move 1 hex/turn and it's a real drag... :?

PS: Get better soon!
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Forest vs dense forest is a tricky choice.
I tend to use dense forest outside roads since I don't want vehicles to enter forest terrain. Only very light forests like orchards should be allowed for all unit types. Also, dense forest may force the player to channel attacks along historical lines.
So I will probably be quite dense in the future as well :roll:

Thanks, Getting better.
jn1
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by jn1 »

Using version 9.0.7 I can't get started with "US Corps 1942-43" or "1943-44". They get stuck on the first loading screen when starting the campaigns. Any ideas?
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

jn1 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:50 pm Using version 9.0.7 I can't get started with "US Corps 1942-43" or "1943-44". They get stuck on the first loading screen when starting the campaigns. Any ideas?
You need to install the latest OOB version, 9.1.4.
It is available from My Page (if you have registered the game).
my_page.jpg
my_page.jpg (50.68 KiB) Viewed 978 times
Bobster66

Post by Bobster66 »

Operation Typhoon

Solnechnogorsk - No problems and the number of turns seemed good.

Rogachevo - The first error in awhile, all objectives achieved but only rewarded a draw. There was also plenty of turns remaining, maybe cutting it down to 30 would be appropriate.

Kaluga - This one had me confused. The Russians were not advancing so eventually I had the Germans do so, only to then have the Russians launch their assaults. With the Wehrmacht having mostly given up their defensive positions it was now a desperate struggle for the rest of the scenario, not that it was a bad thing. Was the delayed assault scripted, or was it dependent on making initial contact with the Germans? Also, around turn 20 the AL turn shot up to 20 - 25 minutes on my old Win 7 computer which normally runs OOB just fine. It took me several days to make time just to complete the final 10 turns.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Thanks for reporting-

Kaluga
If I remember correctly the Soviet attacks are scripted in various front stages. Maybe I should move the triggers some turns forward. There may be considerate reinforcements around turn 20. I need to check if the number of units in the AI team is too high. Maybe split them in two teams.
Bobster66

Post by Bobster66 »

Operation Typhoon

I have now completed Mozhaysk, Rzhev, Yukhnov, Gluzino Sukhinichi and Znamenka. I was concerned about Znamenka because it is such a large map and the first AI turn took 20 minutes, but after that the turns didn't take anywhere near that long, so it was all good.

The only issue that came up was with Sukhinichi where 7 units were eliminated in the first turn and the entire garrison was wiped out by turn 3. There is nothing the player can do to stop this as the defenders are already depleted and the Russian assault is too strong. The Secondary Objective therefore is not viable. Additionally, there is not enough available supply to deploy all of the players available CPs at the start. And the Russians also quickly overrun the Kriegsmarine units around the forward supply source which puts your entire force in an under-supplied position for much of the scenario. Despite these handicaps the Primary Objectives are still achievable.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Thanks for reporting.
So you're close in on the final objective soon. Can you see Kreml, yet?
Bobster66

Post by Bobster66 »

Operation Typhoon - Complete!

Barsuki - A good start to the final push. The heavy mining of the front line made for a tricky initial assault. Once a breakthrough was achieved things moved along quickly and there were a lot of turns to quick click through to get to the end. Maybe shaving six turns from the total would help.

Bokhino - I kept expecting a second counter attack as the first one seemed meager and was swept aside like children. There were still 16 turns remaining when all objectives were complete. Were the reinforcements on turn 2, by way of additional CPs, intentional? There was no pop-up announcement about it so I didn't even notice until a turn later, even then the additional CPs just made this scenario very easy.

Moscow - What a fantastic job creating this map! It was a fitting scenario to complete the campaign. Contrary to the goal of capturing all 10 Primary objectives, there are actually 11. The Petroleum Refinery is a Primary, but doesn't show when you click through their locations from the objective screen. When I captured it, it ended the scenario even though there was still one more objective I was pushing for. I also still had a dozen tanks to eliminate when it ended but only 3 were visible, so the remaining 9 were waiting for some counterattack that never materialized or were perhaps just positioned too far in the rear that they never triggered.

This campaign was a lot of fun, and I thank you Erik for all the effort you put in to creating them!
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Thanks for the feedback.
I now have a lot of notes for the next update of Typhoon.
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

Hey Erik. I would like to thank your for amazing SQUAD mod with Banzai campaign. I didnt play a few months in OOB and now Im playing again. This is great MOD very fun and interesting theatre...all the best for you Erik !!!
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

calmhatchery wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:35 pm Hey Erik. I would like to thank your for amazing SQUAD mod with Banzai campaign. I didnt play a few months in OOB and now Im playing again. This is great MOD very fun and interesting theatre...all the best for you Erik !!!
Thank you.
At some point I hope to add to these campaigns.
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

Erik2 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:54 am
calmhatchery wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:35 pm Hey Erik. I would like to thank your for amazing SQUAD mod with Banzai campaign. I didnt play a few months in OOB and now Im playing again. This is great MOD very fun and interesting theatre...all the best for you Erik !!!
Thank you.
At some point I hope to add to these campaigns.
It could be great news !!! thank you !!!

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”