Erik's campaigns & mods

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

jn1
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Erik's campaigns & mods

Post by jn1 »

Played the Road to Moscow 1941 campaign and in the last (?) scenario the main objective is to never lose control of Smolensk as the Russians counterattack. First time I just made sure no Russian troops ever got within 10 hexes of the city but I never had any German troops in the city itself. That resulted in a draw (all secondary objectives fulfilled) and you have to play it again. Second time around I made sure to place some troops in Smolensk and never moved them and no Russian ever got close. Result was still a draw. Any advice?
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

jn1 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:02 pm Played the Road to Moscow 1941 campaign and in the last (?) scenario the main objective is to never lose control of Smolensk as the Russians counterattack. First time I just made sure no Russian troops ever got within 10 hexes of the city but I never had any German troops in the city itself. That resulted in a draw (all secondary objectives fulfilled) and you have to play it again. Second time around I made sure to place some troops in Smolensk and never moved them and no Russian ever got close. Result was still a draw. Any advice?
I think you need to open the scenario in the editor and check the triggers...
I've put this on my to-do list.
Kaa303
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Kaa303 »

How would you describe the difference between these custom campaigns and the official DLC concerning the same theaters/operations e.g. Germany West 39-40 vs Blizkrieg or AfrikaKorps 41-44 versus Sandstorm? Are the custom ones more challenging? More detailed maps? More scripted events? Wider in scope? What should I expect? If I own the official DLC then which alternative and why should I pick?
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Kaa303 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:24 pm How would you describe the difference between these custom campaigns and the official DLC concerning the same theaters/operations e.g. Germany West 39-40 vs Blizkrieg or AfrikaKorps 41-44 versus Sandstorm? Are the custom ones more challenging? More detailed maps? More scripted events? Wider in scope? What should I expect? If I own the official DLC then which alternative and why should I pick?
Official campaigns usually have a wide scope and include the larger battles over a longer time period.
The maps are usually medium sized and the number of units are restricted.
This makes for good playability but may sacrifice historical details.
The production value (bells & whistles) are usually good as well.
(These are my personal opinions, of course).
My translations of the original Panzer Corps campaigns adhere to this (minus the production value...).

My other custom campaigns often focus on a single campaign with larger, more detailed maps and a large number of battalion/company units (compared to regimental/division-sized units in the officials).
I would say that my campaings adhere more to historical details, especially order-of-battle of units (real unit names for instance).

So it depends on what kind of campaigns you would like to play.
I would start with the official campaigns, especially if you are new to OOB .
You can select the Germans/Soviets/Western Allies and play 3 linked campaigns for each faction.

Hope this helps
Kaa303

Post by Kaa303 »

Thank you. So I understand that custom your campaign have more units and historical detail. Which ones are panzer corps translations and which are "custom" ?

I am not exactly new, finishing morning sun. I don"t have the capacity to play all the campaigns so I am wondering which campaign to choose next. Which would you consider your best? Which would you recommend as a good demonstration of your approach?
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Kaa303 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:19 pm Thank you. So I understand that custom your campaign have more units and historical detail. Which ones are panzer corps translations and which are "custom" ?

I am not exactly new, finishing morning sun. I don"t have the capacity to play all the campaigns so I am wondering which campaign to choose next. Which would you consider your best? Which would you recommend as a good demonstration of your approach?
The Germany east/west campaigns and US Corps campaigns are Panzer Corps translations.

After Morning Sun i would move to Japan Pacific. You should be able to save your core in Morning Sun and load it in Pacific.
US/Japan Pacific are the two original campaigns from when the game was published.

My best work are the campaigns I've done with Bru. You can find our campaigns here:
https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94345
I would start with Normandy UK/Canada or maybe Operation Olympic (what-if campaign invasion of Japan).
The Finnish winter war and continuation war is covered in 3 campaigns and are probably more hard-core given the narrower scope.

Some of my campaigns are part of a mod with new units, commanders, factions etc.
One good example is my France 1940 campaign available in the MicroMod:
https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80862
Kaa303

Post by Kaa303 »

Brilliant. Thank you. One more question - what's the rationale for doing the translations of PC1 campaigns when they have their equivalents in OoB? Or were those not available at that time? How do they differ?
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

There are differences in both scope, maps and units and not the least, play mechanism (combat, movement) between the original Panzer Corps campaigns and OOB campaigns.
The largest difference were simply theater, the two original OOB campaigns were devoted to the Pacific wich Panzer Corps kind of 'ignored'.
I started my translations simply due to the lack of campaigns in OOB.
And I have been designing scenarios for several game systems since the first version of The Operation Art of War (late 80s?). I created a custom Market Garden campaign for Panzer Corps back in the day.
stevefprice
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by stevefprice »

Erik, looks like update to the game has blatted the mods from showing up :(
McLeoudX
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by McLeoudX »

stevefprice wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:27 pm Erik, looks like update to the game has blatted the mods from showing up :(
Correct ! :(
There can only be one :)
yvesyun
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by yvesyun »

on my Mac, I can play the African corps campaign, but not the US Corps campaigns. How can I fix the problem?
yvesyun

Post by yvesyun »

I found it is a problem with my game version
as Mac is not compatible with the latest version, may I got a suitable version of Erik's compaigns? thx
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

The Mac version is 8.6.9 and will stay like that.
There's no way for me to save scenario versions in an earlier version than the now current 9.2.2.
Also, whenever I fix an earlier scenario it will be updated to 9.2.2.
Sorry about that.
JDINO
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JDINO »

Ha Erik ,downloaded new version and now cannot go into Mod screen
Alin02

Post by Alin02 »

Hey Erik will you continue the semper fidelis campaign with scenarios from 1943 ,I ask this because I loved your Semper Fidelis 1941-42 campaign
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

The mods does not work with 9.2.2. The devs are aware of this.

I will finish the Semper Fi series sometime...
Celeborn
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Celeborn »

Wish I would have read this before spending an hour and a half trying to get it to work :-\
Celeborn

Post by Celeborn »

Wish I would have read this before spending an hour and a half trying to get it to work :-\
Epperaliant
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Epperaliant »

Erik, does this bug affects only mods or custom campaigns/scenarios too?
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Only scenarios/campaigns that are part of a mod.
I have one unmodded custom multiplayer going without issues.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”