How do these items work?

A mix of deep gameplay and rich historical flavor, Aggressors: Ancient Rome lets you relive history as the ruler of one of the mighty civilizations of the ancient Mediterranean. Choose one of twenty available factions and conquer the world.
lordhoff
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

How do these items work?

Post by lordhoff »

1. There are several items in the research area that, when researched, have no way to be applied (sneak attack, tenacity, mountaineering) that look like training items but can't be trained. Sometimes I see it happening, though. Do all units automatically get this or do they appear randomly from time to time?

2. Concerning blitz and ships: it can't be trained but occasionally I can fire twice with, say, a trireme. How is this applied?

3. Food. No matter how many fields I have, I always have negative food use so I can't trade food for other needed items. I know there was a user feedback fix to tone down food amounts but I'm thinking the usage number may not be correct?
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Re: How do these items work?

Post by pavelk »

Hello lordhoff,
here is the answer you are looking for.

For Trireme, Blitz can be obtained in battle only. You probably gained this in one of the battles before.

I am not sure what do you mean that you have negative food. You can never have any resources in negative numbers. The only thing you can have negative is the "surplus" numbers or difference to previous turn. 70% of all the food you have in stockpile is thrown away every turn (it goes bad) so if you still have enough food to feed your army (no starvation is reported), you should be fine.
Last edited by pavelk on Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
lordhoff
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lordhoff »

Using more food then you are bringing in. Passing the pointer over food when trading will show a negative number. Usually food is around 25 or so - a very small stock pile - so, unless there is more coming in then going out, I'm adverse to trading it.

Also, when I click on the provided link, I get, "page not found"?
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

lordhoff wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:35 pmAlso, when I click on the provided link, I get, "page not found"?
I am sorry about that I just corrected the link.
lordhoff wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:35 pmUsing more food then you are bringing in. Passing the pointer over food when trading will show a negative number. Usually food is around 25 or so - a very small stock pile - so, unless there is more coming in then going out, I'm adverse to trading it.
I cannot really say why you are losing food, it is usually the other way around. 25 in stockpile is still quite a lot reserve so I wouldnt worry about it. If you do, please read in Aggressors library page Game Rules->Map Item Resources and scroll down to Resource production about food.
The best way to find out what/who is consuming the most food is to go to Resource usage window for food (by clicking on the food icon in resource panel).
lordhoff
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lordhoff »

pavelk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:29 am
lordhoff wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:35 pmAlso, when I click on the provided link, I get, "page not found"?
I am sorry about that I just corrected the link.
lordhoff wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:35 pmUsing more food then you are bringing in. Passing the pointer over food when trading will show a negative number. Usually food is around 25 or so - a very small stock pile - so, unless there is more coming in then going out, I'm adverse to trading it.
I cannot really say why you are losing food, it is usually the other way around. 25 in stockpile is still quite a lot reserve so I wouldnt worry about it. If you do, please read in Aggressors library page Game Rules->Map Item Resources and scroll down to Resource production about food.
The best way to find out what/who is consuming the most food is to go to Resource usage window for food (by clicking on the food icon in resource panel).
Great; thanks again.

Food: I haven't checked but it is likely due to the number of mobile units. I guess my saying small was a matter of prospective. I'm not worried about lack of food; that is rare for me and early in the game (I start at Barbarian) and on the luck of the draw (what my initial homeland is like - some are quite challenging). I just don't feel comfortable trading food at such low reserves. Low is in comparison to others which are often at 1.4k as an example.
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

lordhoff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:59 pmFood: I haven't checked but it is likely due to the number of mobile units.
I would definitely check the Resource usage window where everything is calculated in detail.
lordhoff wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:59 pmLow is in comparison to others which are often at 1.4k as an example.

I would say that those are screenshots/statements before the patch reducing food production was applied. I would say that anything above 50 is already in safe numbers.
lordhoff
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lordhoff »

I don't understand the second statement. I assume that the food patch has been applied to the game I'm playing - the food amounts are quite low comparatively and I thought that is what the patch did. Or, perhaps it means the food patch is applied late in the process so the numbers showing resources on hand are not correct? I will say that I've blown through 2k stones in a dozen turns a few times. Repairing multiple cities uses them very fast. Really, the only ones I had to closely monitor have been stones, coal, food, and knowledge, though. Which brings up knowledge: despite having played the game so many times, I don't feel that I understand this aspect. The AI beats me badly on technological development - I'm usually dead last for most of the game. I suspect that is because I don't build near as many cities as the AI does but have been unable to verify that thought.

I'm full of questions today. What is the difference other then cost to build and cost to maintain between warriors and ax men? Both appear to be the same in combat power and speed. I assumed there was likely higher morale or something with the initial build ax men compared to initial build warriors. Am I close?
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

Initial version (from which you might have seen some screenshots) had lower food consumption. That's why you might think that having 1000 food should be normal. It was vastly reduced. Having 70-100 food should be more than enough.
There is a big difference between food and any other resource. Food cannot be stored, most of it is not stored because 70% of all the production is thrown away every turn. Food is also consumed continuously, not used in particular cases (like stones). That's why if you have 20+ food, it means that the danger of starvation next turn is close to zero. The only way this would change is when you either change your food production, considerably increase number of citizens or you capture a city with high number of citizens (which require food).

Btw. having 2k stones is extremely rare and I would bet that it happened in one of the lower difficulty levels.
Knowledge is produced by cities and the bigger the city the higher the production (exponentially). If you want to win on technologicial level, you need to support birth rate and use citizens for military as rarely as possible.

Axemen behave much better on most of the terrains, you can compare those two "terrain" tables in the map item type window.
lordhoff
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lordhoff »

Pavelk said, "Btw. having 2k stones is extremely rare and I would bet that it happened in one of the lower difficulty levels."

Absolutely correct - I generally play on easy for the less aggressive AI. I don't need the extra resources except maybe at the very beginning but I do miss the better planned invasions of the higher levels. That brings up an idea. Maybe that could be an option in future games (better planned AI invasions that is checked at higher levels but available to be checked at lower levels if so desired). I don't know how broad the appeal would be, though.

Return to “Aggressors: Ancient Rome”