Battle of Wimpfen, 1622

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

StuccoFresco
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Battle of Wimpfen, 1622

Post by StuccoFresco »

I don't think this battle is winnable, really: the Veteran Tercios could probably steamroll my lines even after being shot for several turns, and that's without counting the amount of enemy Kuirassiers. Well, let's see what we can do: I have some light fortifications in the middle with detached musketeers and some fine artillery, with way too much infantry deep in reserve with mounted Arkebusiers. That's not good IMHO: those fortifications have open spots that must be manned, and the Arkebusiers should be forward to shot at enemy units while they advance and bait some charges.

The enemy seems to advance only with his infantry. My artillery units aren't cutting it: their fire has disorganized a Later Tercio (I hope to make one of these flee and try to force some other morale check with it), but not much else. I'll try using Arkebusiers against those, to stop them in their tracks (they can't charge cavalry IIRC) and disorganize enemy attack line.

In Turn 5 one Imperial Later Tercio has been routed by artillery and musket fire, and another one disorganized by the Arkebusiers on the left flank. This is by far the weakest flank, with a single isolated Veteran Tercio advancing, and I'm considering an all-out counterattack against it. Enemy cavalry still holding their ground so far. On the right and center, a critical mass of four Veteran Tercios have made contact with my fortified line, having suffered hundreds of losses by gunfire but not being even disordered by it.

Turn 6: the enemy Tercios attacks the fortifications, that hold for now. Enemy cavalry starts moving forward. I have routed another Later Tercio on the left flank and managed to disorganize the single Veteran one. Enemy cavalry surging forward, so I have little time to win this battle or it's gonna turn into a bloodbath.

In Turn 9 a section of my fortifications blow up via event, because of course situation wasn't desperate enough so here it goes fortifications AND the musketeers manning it. Counterattack on the left flank is sort of working thanks to the nonstop fire of my musketeers from the forest. Enemy rallies a fleeing Later Tercio, that gets two rounds of shooting in the back of my units because it was fleeing THROUGH my ranks; I have to divert a Musketeer unit to re-rout it. LAter, a Veteran Tercio I managed to disorganize rallies as well, but another one flees after being shot to shreds for 9 turns straight.

Turn 10: enemy's left flank routs, but enemy cavalry is filling the center and I can do nothing about it. Enemy Veteran Tercio that got shot for 4 turns then faceplanted in my fortifications against Musketeers AND a Later Tercio has routed the musketeers and then routed my Tercio too. Alone. On the right flank things are going better than expected: my fortified Later Tercio managed (with the help of several other units' shooting) to rout and disperse a Veteran Tercio, and another Later Tercio has been routed by a combination of shooting and an Arkebusiers charge. I'm mounting up a counterattack in the area. Meanwhile, my center is collapsing.

Enemy units break through the fortifications, but my artillery blasts them at close range and reserves try to contain them. Left flank is now facing swarms of enemy cavalry. In Turn 13 I reach the 40% threshold of Imperial units routed against 25% of mines, but the game doesn't award me the victory, instead going on with Imperial turn, where they rout one of my Arkebusiers, so I have more than 25% routed units. Veteran Tercio pushing in the center rallies, as well as several other fleeing Imperial units. I have lost the battle. A Kuirassier charges frontally one of my Later Tercios and, just like that, makes them Disrupted, then Fragmented in the next melee, then routs it. Just like that. They must have had rubber pikes or something. Another Kuirassier charge my own Kuirassiers and rout them in one turn flat, then follows by charging in my artillery. Ok.

By turn 15 it's a pointless struggle: Kuirassiers are roaming in my backfield routing everything they charge into. Another lovely thing: a Kuirassier of mine routed and chased an enemy Arkebusier unit, only to stop at the exact time and in the exact spot where an enemy Kuirassier could rear-charge it. It could have kept chasing the Arkebusiers, moving to safety and even threatening the remaining Imperial artillery battery but noooo, let's stop RIGHT HERE and RIGHT NOW. Rear charge, routed. Lovely. Can't wait to reach the 60% rout threshold and be done with this battle.

Reached it in Turn 17, good riddance.

StuccoFresco

Re: Battle of Wimpfen, 1622

Post by StuccoFresco »

Soooo... has anyone beaten this scenario at Hard or higher difficulty? Sheer mass of enemy units don't leave you much choice but to get grounded down by them. If you manage to route the Tercios, Kuirassiers could just charge through what's left of your army. It's possible to mount up a counterattack in the left flank, but only as long as enemy cavalry doesn't advance AT ALL, because it will just swarm you. Don't count on just hold the fortifications: after a while they will fall and you'll have nowhere to hide.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

StuccoFresco wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:06 pmIn Turn 13 I reach the 40% threshold of Imperial units routed against 25% of mines, but the game doesn't award me the victory, instead going on with Imperial turn, where they rout one of my Arkebusiers, so I have more than 25% routed units.
In SP games Victory conditions are only tested at the start of the player turn.

However, you would need 40% and 15% to win, not 40% and 25%, as the 25% requirement is the difference between the rout percentages, not the player rout %.
Richard Bodley Scott

StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

Aaah, understood.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

In another thread I posted:

Your Detached Musketeers are the key to the battle. Note that if you move them off the fortifications, they lose the Light Gun attribute, which greatly boosts their firepower. Purchasing the extra artillery is also useful. Keep in mind that artillery lowers the cohesion roll of a unit even if it doesn't inflict casualties. So, concentrate the fire of artillery and multiple musketeers on a single Tercio. Keep other Detached Musketeers in the forest on the left and the marshes on the right to hold or at least slow the enemy on the flanks.

The powder explosion is at a random spot in the wall; if you are lucky, it will annihilate a Tercio just as they are beginning to overrun your forlorn hope of musketeers. At this point, with the Tercios in disarray from the explosion and casualties from musketry and artillery, with the enemy kurassiers floundering in the marshes and forests, counterattack with your own infantry.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

I did that with Musketeers and routed some unit, but as soon as they charge your lines you can't fire on the enemy anymore and the detached musketeers will slowly get killed in melee. You get 3 turns of fire on the Tercios, tops, and that's not enough to rout them all.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

It's enough to cause some disruptions. If you can subsequently break one with your reinforcements you can cause a chain reaction. In addition, the enemy Kurassiers are really quite useless against Steady infantry, so they're just fluff if you can keep them off your own cavalry or disrupted units.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

@SnuggleBunnies : As usual, you share great advices and your valuable knowledge about the game. Thank you. :-)
SnuggleBunnies wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:30 am Your Detached Musketeers are the key to the battle. Note that if you move them off the fortifications, they lose the Light Gun attribute, which greatly boosts their firepower.
I didn't know about this attribute! (And I've never played this scenario.)

Very interesting! So they lose their LG attribute when moving, unlike, for example, the Commanded shot with LG!

I tried to find Detached Musketeers with LG in the Editor. I did not.
I tried to put Detached Musketeers behind walls to see if that was the walls that that 'give' them the LG Attribute. I failed (but I might have done something wrong).
I looked at the manual...

Is it a special unit created for this very scenario (by a script) ?
Is it an ordinary/special attribute for Detached Musketeers or other units ?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Athos1660 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:14 am @SnuggleBunnies : As usual, you share great advices and your valuable knowledge about the game. Thank you. :-)
SnuggleBunnies wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:30 am Your Detached Musketeers are the key to the battle. Note that if you move them off the fortifications, they lose the Light Gun attribute, which greatly boosts their firepower.
I didn't know about this attribute! (And I've never played this scenario.)

Very interesting! So they lose their LG attribute when moving, unlike, for example, the Commanded shot with LG!

I tried to find Detached Musketeers with LG in the Editor. I did not.
I tried to put Detached Musketeers behind walls to see if that was the walls that that 'give' them the LG Attribute. I failed (but I might have done something wrong).
I looked at the manual...

Is it a special unit created for this very scenario (by a script) ?
Is it an ordinary/special attribute for Detached Musketeers or other units ?
The Light Gun attribute for Detached Musketeers is only for the Wimpfen scenario. There is a special script in the Wimpfen.bsf file that awards it when Protestant Light Foot are in terrain with a Cover Value of 3.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Paul59 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:22 am The Light Gun attribute for Detached Musketeers is only for the Wimpfen scenario. There is a special script in the Wimpfen.bsf file that awards it when Protestant Light Foot are in terrain with a Cover Value of 3.
Thank you so much, Paul ! :-)

I do not know anything about the battle of Wimpfen. However, in the absolute, the idea of a unit able to use artillery when behind a protection and letting it behind to have their hand free when charging with muskets (and why not, swords) is nice (even if, in the current case, the best to do seems to stay behind those protection as long as possible, even waiting for the enemy to attack) !

Return to “After Action Reports”