Grand Campaign 1939-1945 (Custom Campaign)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Hubbfrosch
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Grand Campaign 1939-1945 (Custom Campaign)

Post by Hubbfrosch »

Grondel wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm
Hubbfrosch wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:17 pm Hallo Thomas,

I found a few problems / exploits in 1943NH:

Kybyshev: It is possible to capture the infantry stack near the starting point without triggering the soviets. Its only infantry, but a 500 stack gives really nice prestige...
I guess u used a NoRetaliation, OverwhelmingAttack, ShockTactics combo here. Did u dig it out of it´s trenches or did i forget to entrench them?
Yes, something like this. If I remember correctly, I did it in the 1st turn. So probably no entrenchment.

I replayed Kummersdorf 43 2 times and I had the effect, that some units suddently started to fire back. (I read this in this thread before). But, I cannot tell what triggered this. The flametank killed one of my 8,8 Flak. It happened for both ground targets and planes. Also, the tanks can be surrounded and retreat, which is a bit odd for training targets :wink: .

'Defending Rome' for me was a real lowpoint in the otherwis great mod. Sinking the british ships is the only active task. Apart from this, it seems best to stay completely passive. Maybe parking figthers in the city fields. Shooting down enemy planes is pointless, since it is an endless stream. I moved one of the Me-163s to reserve for repair... it can't be brought back, because there are no points for auxiliaries. I lost one of my figthers, because the british wasted bombers in the field next to it, until the fighter had no ammo left for self defense. As of turn 11 I did nothing but skip turns. I am happy this is over...
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

Hubbfrosch wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:16 pm Yes, something like this. If I remember correctly, I did it in the 1st turn. So probably no entrenchment.
Ok i´ll dig them in then.
Hubbfrosch wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:16 pm I replayed Kummersdorf 43 2 times and I had the effect, that some units suddently started to fire back. (I read this in this thread before). But, I cannot tell what triggered this. The flametank killed one of my 8,8 Flak. It happened for both ground targets and planes. Also, the tanks can be surrounded and retreat, which is a bit odd for training targets :wink: .
So far i was not able to make the "dummies" fire back. they have their ammo removed on turn start, only way to make them fire would be to disable the LUA somehow. MAybe loading a save game can do stuff like this.

Those dummies, when not air seem to need a little more attention than i expected. i´ll have a look at it when my current project is over and make sure they don´t give prestige or surrender.
Hubbfrosch wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:16 pm 'Defending Rome' for me was a real lowpoint in the otherwis great mod. Sinking the british ships is the only active task. Apart from this, it seems best to stay completely passive. Maybe parking figthers in the city fields. Shooting down enemy planes is pointless, since it is an endless stream. I moved one of the Me-163s to reserve for repair... it can't be brought back, because there are no points for auxiliaries. I lost one of my figthers, because the british wasted bombers in the field next to it, until the fighter had no ammo left for self defense. As of turn 11 I did nothing but skip turns. I am happy this is over...
I get very mixxed feedback about this one ranging from "This is it!" to "oh no´s!".
To the Me163´s, adding aux-slots is easy and i will add them next time i look at that scenario. It is not needed to move them anyplace, since they are all on a supply hex afaik. should get full repair anyways.

Ur observation that shooting down planes is pointless is correct. Ur objective is to prevent the destruction of the depots in rome.
What i tried to catch here is the absurd number of planes the US threw at targets in Europe. When u look at production numbers the US is nearly double of Germany and Japan combined.

What would u change about it to make it bareable?
Thing´s that came to mind so far:
- reduce the number of turns and health of the depots to shorten the scenario
- reduce the Italien ground units in front of Rome to make the AI planes go for Rome earlier.

What diff setting are u playing on? what traits did u choose?

sers,
Thomas
DefiantXYX
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by DefiantXYX »

Grondel wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:54 pm What would u change about it to make it bareable?
Delay the reinforcements. It should be possible to create some windows, so that you can repair your planes and/or focus on the bombers, after you killed the majority of the planes.
My biggest problem was to kill the carrier, because of that ridiculous AA-mode of the ships and I never had a real chance to do some nice hits. Just too many planes, you need 5-6 fighters to clear the sky and protect your bombers but If you do this in 3-4 turns you will lose the scenario, since the depots get destroyed.
Afair I played this scenario twice with DvG. Maybe it is just not designed for it compared to other scenarios.
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

DefiantXYX wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:56 am Delay the reinforcements. It should be possible to create some windows, so that you can repair your planes and/or focus on the bombers, after you killed the majority of the planes.
My biggest problem was to kill the carrier, because of that ridiculous AA-mode of the ships and I never had a real chance to do some nice hits. Just too many planes, you need 5-6 fighters to clear the sky and protect your bombers but If you do this in 3-4 turns you will lose the scenario, since the depots get destroyed.
Afair I played this scenario twice with DvG. Maybe it is just not designed for it compared to other scenarios.
The "delay" is something mentioned in other threats about the AO-redone,too. Currently the script triggers on kill of a unit, counts the planes and replaces if necessary. Moving that trigger to start of turn is an easy task and would give an additional turn before the AI planes get back in action.
My expectation with it is that it will turn the air-force into waves after some turns, making it easy to controle the flow, but i´ll give it a try.

To the difficulty:
I usually play the mod on general at the start with no gamechanging traits. Stuff like MetPlanning, AAVeteran, etc. ruin it for me. i don´t use those.
After each campaign i decide what difficulty to continue on depending on the heros i got. In 1943 i usually end up on Fieldmarshall + DvG.
Without the trait restriction i impose on myself i am confident that the scenario can be won on Generallissimus + DvG.

The way i played this scenario so far:
I use the Aux planes to protect the depots for the first 2-3 turns, while i brute force the 4 necessary kills on the british fleet, usually the 3 destroyers and 1 of the capital ships. After that i bench the strategics and bring in more fighters.
I don´t think that the bonus objective is "possible" if u don´t have the 3 Me262 from Voronezh, which is ok imo.
It is not necessary to save all the depots, 4 can drop. Usualy the 3 in the southern district get destroyed.
Sacrificing the Aux units and the southern depots is how i get the needed air to repair and refit.

Did u notice that u can bring two AA guns in the scenario? It´s mentioned in the briefing.

It is very helpfull to have other people discribe the way they play the game. Please keep doing so and thx for the feedback.

sers,
Thomas
DefiantXYX

Post by DefiantXYX »

Yes, the AA Canons are very helpful, but they just run out of ammo. If that happens the AI even tries to kill them, resulting in a turn where you have to repair and dont work at full efficiency.

Afair even if my Me262 are around my bombers have a hard time. Here again the fighters just run out of ammo. I need to shoot 1-2 times to clear the sky. Some bombers take good damage/suppresion while attacking the ships, even with a lot of helpful heroes on them. The AI loves level bombers and keeps attacking them all the time, as soon as the fighters cant support they take heavy damage. This is resulting in 1-2 turns for repairs and I cant use my best fighters. Because they have to sit at the airfield to still protect the bombers, while they are repairing.
My problem is I cant bring in more planes. I just dont have more units than neccessary. I saw that in action reports from other players, they got hundreds of units. I never have more units than I can use in standard scenarios, so I dont have 2-3 additional fighters. By using all the zero slot/limit slot heroes I already got everyhing with overstrength on the field I have :)

I think some respawn time makes it more fair and I guess its even more realistic if the planes come in waves instead of attacking all the time, no matter how many losses they have.
Hubbfrosch
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Hubbfrosch »

DefiantXYX wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:58 am This is resulting in 1-2 turns for repairs and I cant use my best fighters. Because they have to sit at the airfield to still protect the bombers, while they are repairing.
You can move damaged planes to the 'exit'-hex, repair them off-map and bring them back all in the same turn.
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

Hubbfrosch wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:12 pm You can move damaged planes to the 'exit'-hex, repair them off-map and bring them back all in the same turn.
All the posibilities offered by the move to reserve hex seem to be neglected by most people. Especially the move damaged unit to reserve and move fresh unit to map. By doing so u can save a huge amount of prestige when u mostly repair during deployment. U need to have more units that way of cause.
maybe i should make some sort of a tutorial-scenario in preludes for this or something. will think about it.

sers,
Thomas
DefiantXYX

Post by DefiantXYX »

Grondel wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:28 pm All the posibilities offered by the move to reserve hex seem to be neglected by most people. Especially the move damaged unit to reserve and move fresh unit to map. By doing so u can save a huge amount of prestige when u mostly repair during deployment. U need to have more units that way of cause.
Well, for me thats close to cheating, or lets just say its against my house rules to do something like that. The battlefield does not simply end somewhere and you cant move your units easily in safety, repair for half the costs and get them back in like no time.
I use that feature like exchanges in soccer. If someone is out because hes exhausted or injured for the whole game, he cant come back 5mins later :)
maybe i should make some sort of a tutorial-scenario in preludes for this or something. will think about it.
Not sure, but in the AO redone there are some lines that explain the hangar/respawn feature. Could be helpful to do something like that in any year of all your mods.
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

DefiantXYX wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:06 pm Well, for me thats close to cheating, or lets just say its against my house rules to do something like that. The battlefield does not simply end somewhere and you cant move your units easily in safety, repair for half the costs and get them back in like no time.
I use that feature like exchanges in soccer. If someone is out because hes exhausted or injured for the whole game, he cant come back 5mins later :)
just to get this strait, u can repair to full, just like being on a supply hex, but not for halve cost. What i was referring to was to move a unit back and replace it by another, repairing the damaged unit during the next deploy phase for halve cost.

In the Rome air defense all airfields have supply hexes, sadly only the plane right above it gets the benefit of it and not all that are asigned to that airfield.
DefiantXYX wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:06 pm Not sure, but in the AO redone there are some lines that explain the hangar/respawn feature. Could be helpful to do something like that in any year of all your mods.
Currently it´s in the briefings of the first scenario that has a hex like that in it.

sers,
Thomas
DefiantXYX

Post by DefiantXYX »

Oh well, thats on point. I remember reading these lines, I think I forgot about it because I am not really using it. Like I said, normally I dont have anything in reserve. I really like the awards, so I rather try to kill some inf/tanks with my fighters instead of bringing in more bombers or unexperienced fighters. Just a matter of playstyle :)
heinz1803
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by heinz1803 »

Just started a replay of the PC1 Grand Campaign mod. Finished till 1941 and Africa Corps campaign. Everything perfect and better balanced than the original PC2 campaign. :)

Ready to replay 1940 when the rework is finished.
fmscherer
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by fmscherer »

sorry for the late answer. Was too busy to play for a while :)

Indeed the problem at Kummersdorf seems to be ammo. The dummies suddenly reloaded it seems. See Screenshot. No idea how I triggered this.

Grondel wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:34 am
fmscherer wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:56 pm Kummersdorf 43:
starting by turn 4 the target dummies are shooting back! To a point where I cannot use most of my fighters anymore against the air "dummies". Similar with the tank "dummies". Is this on purpose?
Did a quick test and as u can see no ammo on turn 5 on the planes.
No idea what bugging u there.

sers,
Thomas
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

fmscherer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:29 pm sorry for the late answer. Was too busy to play for a while :)
Indeed the problem at Kummersdorf seems to be ammo. The dummies suddenly reloaded it seems. See Screenshot. No idea how I triggered this.
I have an idea what might be the cause.will take a look at that when back home.

sers,
Thomas
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Hi Folks!

I wanted to ask if there are plans to complete the campaign, or is it no longer being worked on?

And the second question would be whether, there is a chance that the texts and briefings can be translated into German language?
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

Magic1111 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:11 am Hi Folks!

I wanted to ask if there are plans to complete the campaign, or is it no longer being worked on?

And the second question would be whether, there is a chance that the texts and briefings can be translated into German language?
the mod is still being worked on. currently 1940 rework and 1941 winterwar addition/some map rework are being done.
as to the german language, i don´t intend to do it myself, but if someone voluntiers and wants to do the work i can add it into the mod.
once the reworking is finished 1944+ is on the scedule, but will be some time till we get there.

sers,
Thomas
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Thank you for your reply.

It's a pitty that the German translation is not planned.

I stopped playing yesterday after the scenario "Kampinoska Forest", because I find it very difficult to understand the briefings and ingame messages.

The way I used to do it was to open the Google Translate app on my phone and hold the camera up to the text. But that's too complicated for me and isn't fun.

It's a pity, but without reading it all in German, it's unfortunately not going to be fun for me in the long run.

Still, of course, great work with the mod.
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

Magic1111 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:28 pm Thank you for your reply.

It's a pitty that the German translation is not planned.
Das ist deine chance mit hilfe von etwas das du gerne tust english zu lernen :)

sers,
Thomas
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

To play video games, it is better to know English

Return to “Panzer Corps 2 Scenario Design”